Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:03 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Yay job interview at a soulless outbound call center.

Some money is better than no money, I suppose.

It is, but hopefully you like it more than you think.

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
We just had a fucking crazy dust storm in the midwest. You'll find pictures if you look it up. I was chilling in my office room when I saw the clouds coming in, it must have been scary for everyone who was driving at the time.

Dust storms don't occur where I live, but if I lived further west they would be more common. Getting wrapped up in one would be mental. I did see a couple of photos and it looked immense.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:12 pm 

I live in the Midwest, and dust storms don't happen here either! I don't think I've ever heard of it, anyway

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:24 pm 

Yeah, storms like that don't usually happen. This is the first time I've seen anything like it. Last I checked, there were 2 confirmed deaths, and a tornado touched down somewhere.

Here's a pic of the dust cloud.
Spoiler: show

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:43 pm 

The notoriously incompetent Canada Post keeps on losing my stuff. This time two fucking parcels, both untracked because tracking wasn’t available with those sellers. (Yet that same poor excuse of a seller is all ''Don’t open a Paypal claim if you choose untracked shipping'' in his selling policy )Maybe it’s international post but I somehow doubt it. Some fucking joke.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:51 am 

Finnish Post has worsen. This year one package from Italy came in, but traveled into a wrong town. Then it took the same route and was in "international leaving" for weeks and was posted back to Italy. Gladly I only had to pay postage again to get it.

Then there's an app for Finnish Post. However, it doesn't include every package tracking. Lame. They try to post an emails about "pick up your package", but sadly, sometimes the mail box was full and I never got them messages. That's why I downloaded the app, but... Aaargh!!!

If a package is not handled by Post, but some courier firm, they might not call you but leave a package outside your door! "Okay, we got rid of the box!" I ordered two special books (Paradise Lost and Rotting Christ box sets) and the package was left outside as I was not home. Gladly my landlord took the box inside.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 am 

It's not just Canada and Finland. Australia Post has been just as woeful, to the point where international sellers simply refused to ship here. It's been a complete shitshow since the pandemic began and seems to have no end in sight.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:06 am 

kazhard wrote:
The notoriously incompetent Canada Post keeps on losing my stuff. This time two fucking parcels, both untracked because tracking wasn’t available with those sellers. (Yet that same poor excuse of a seller is all ''Don’t open a Paypal claim if you choose untracked shipping'' in his selling policy )Maybe it’s international post but I somehow doubt it. Some fucking joke.

I got screwed over by them before too. Incompetent indeed. Thankfully I got refunded over the incident I had. No problems with Korea Post or any of the third party delivery services here, even with the delivery strikes that happened earlier this year.

Lane wrote:
If a package is not handled by Post, but some courier firm, they might not call you but leave a package outside your door! "Okay, we got rid of the box!" I ordered two special books (Paradise Lost and Rotting Christ box sets) and the package was left outside as I was not home. Gladly my landlord took the box inside.

Depending on the carrier, a text message is sent to my phone that includes (some if not all) the product I ordered, its tracking number, its sender, delivery address, estimated delivery time, delivery persons name, and links to choose where to have package delivered or other requests. Packages usually go to either the manager/security office or my door with a photo of the package texted to my phone, but some international orders have been crammed in my mailbox in the lobby.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:48 am 

This all sounds like the American postal service, which is pretty shit too. I've had something I ordered from Japan that was >$80 be delivered to a house 3-4 blocks away with a completely different numerical address, and only found out about it because the people living there were nice enough to tell us.

I've also had multiple things get stuck at sorting facilities for three weeks at a time, and the best one, oh boy.

Stuff I ordered from a charity event in 2019 goes through four sorting facilities here in NJ, then gets all the way to Indianapolis before coming back, 4 more sorting facilities, wrong county, set back through four more, finally gets here. It took two extra weeks to get here. They misship a fair bit too, but at least the town it usually goes to (albeit is big and spread out) is one digit away from mine in its zip code.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:42 am 

I've had no problems with the American postal service, but that might be because I've never had anything else to compare it to. Stuff I've ordered lately has gotten here quickly and efficiently... besides a record that got here a few months late. But that's how most records have been lately, from what I've heard.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:31 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
This all sounds like the American postal service, which is pretty shit too.

The one thing I've heard Canadians say America's got over them is the postal service. The consensus among folks from up north who have lived in the US for any meaningful amount of time seems to be that USPS is miles ahead of Canada Post.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:50 pm 

The first time I had shit get stuck at a sorting place too, I actually went through the USPS' site to see what was going on. The woman who called me, her tone absolutely made it sound like I was inconveniencing her by wondering why my mail was sitting at one facility for three weeks.

I've never had too much issue ordering from Canada, but everything now seems to go straight to Chicago once it crosses the border. Most recently I saw something go from Manitoba to Ontario to Chicago to NJ. What the fuck?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:32 pm 

I could write you horror stories about the Polish postal service (mainly because of my how my mates were treated) but they were pretty good recently so I do not have much to complain. That said the wait times when ordering from Japan/USA/non-Europe are beyond horrendous.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:40 am 

I am waiting for a pretty expensive Derek Riggs book with personal inscription and drawing by the man himself. 3 Star Wars/Metal mashup tshirts from the US also. A large order from Unspeakable Axe. A DRI shirt. A Death fanzine.

This is a very bad time to share postal horror stories people!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:06 pm 

Merry Norwayday to all our Norwayans!

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:18 pm 

There's a Congressional subcommittee inquiring about UFO's today. I remember reading a declassified document some years ago that concluded UFO's were part of a "psychological warfare" campaign orchestrated by the USSR. Going off that, I think UFO's are a Russian campaign to convince the general public of the existence of aliens. Why? So they could attack our cities using alien-looking aircraft and blame it on aliens to escape accountability.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:44 pm 

Anybody else catch that sweet eclipse Sunday evening?

It's nice to have an occasional visual reminder of just how small we are, along with everything else that bothers us on a daily basis.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:36 pm 

No, I missed it. Didn't even know there was an eclipse until the next morning.

saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:55 am 

im in your walls

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:28 pm 

saphuchan wrote:
im in your walls

Can you bring me back my guitar picks?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:17 pm 

Weird and random question for you guys. Is there a genre of music like "The Silver Cord" by Gojira? Or literally anything with the same atmosphere?

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:58 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Weird and random question for you guys. Is there a genre of music like "The Silver Cord" by Gojira? Or literally anything with the same atmosphere?
Probably tons, but this comes to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umhV8Zvx6tk

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:07 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

I don't know if there's a genre, but there's stuff with that kind of atmosphere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9CwR_tSU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA5gSG5FUnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXBVF1KdMvY

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:19 am 

Is there a list of metal musicians who are theistic Satanists? I love reading about the occult and whatnot. I've always been under the impression that the vast majority of black metal musicians are atheistic Satanists. but I can think of Watain, The Devil's Blood, and Dissection.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:48 am 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Is there a list of metal musicians who are theistic Satanists? I love reading about the occult and whatnot. I've always been under the impression that the vast majority of black metal musicians are atheistic Satanists. but I can think of Watain, The Devil's Blood, and Dissection.

You forgot King Diamond.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:50 am 

Slater922 wrote:
AboveTheThrone wrote:

You forgot King Diamond.

I thought he was a LaVeyan? Maybe not, I don't know much about him and Mercyful Fate.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:44 pm 

hakarl wrote:

Hakarl continues to be the best mod on the site.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:47 pm 

Is there a way of downloading or get the URL of cover art from SoundCloud?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:55 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Is there a way of downloading or get the URL of cover art from SoundCloud?

Here's what I do for this kind of thing. If you're on a mac device, right click or control + click, then hit "inspect". Don't know what you do for other devices. You can go through the page elements, and hopefully find an image URL for the cover art. It usually jumps to what you're trying to inspect if you hover your cursor over it.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:23 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

If you're talking about the drone-ish atmosphere, I guess funeral doom would be the closest thing. That genre generally has a very slow, melancholy sound similar to the intro to The Silver Cord.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:59 pm 

I have several friends who are huge fans of Porter Robinson and while in a discord chat they convinced me to give him a try, so I picked his second LP, Nurture. I honestly do not know what to think of music this absolutely devoid of aggression and/or abrasiveness. It's...inoffensively pleasant, I guess? But it also sounds like a single hour-long song with how indistinct the songs' starts and ends are and it all sounds the same so it just blends into this atmospheric mush for me. I can get down for electronic music no problem, but sheesh, it needs to have some edge or energy or something to it like DnB. Even the wimpiest metalcore or post-hardcore has at least some aggressiveness behind it.

Also this album has THREE chilled-out interludes for some reason even though the entire album is about as devoid of intensity as music can possibly get.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:42 pm 

I love how through year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation, Black Sabbath's music continues to prove to be timeless.

I was myself oddly young to be getting into them when I discovered them at the age of 13 back in 1996.

Now I am 39. I just went grocery shopping this morning, sporting my Sabbath hat with the Master of Reality logo. The grocery bagger, who couldn't have been older than 20, said, "I love your hat, " with a great big smile.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:03 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I love how through year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation, Black Sabbath's music continues to prove to be timeless.

I was myself oddly young to be getting into them when I discovered them at the age of 13 back in 1996.

Now I am 39. I just went grocery shopping this morning, sporting my Sabbath hat with the Master of Reality logo. The grocery bagger, who couldn't have been older than 20, said, "I love your hat, " with a great big smile.

:lol:

Nice. I was wearing a Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales sleeveless shirt in my local grocery store a while back, an some skater kid in his 20's (I'm 47), said "Celtic Frost? Awesome" to me :-D

Just spent $99 on two bottles of Westvleteren 8 and 12 in one of my local bottle shops. Was kind of staggered they were even there, so I had to have them. Amazing.

My collection

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:39 pm 

I was wearing a Black Sabbath shirt at work, and someone told me about how, growing up in USSR, he thought he’d never get to see foreign bands, but he saw an arena show, in Moscow, in the 80s(at the beginning of glasnost and perestroika), with Ozzy Osborne. He said that he saw Ozzy and Black Sabbath play well, on later occasions, but at that show, Ozzy was drunk and standing too far away from the microphone. He said that the band that kicked the most ass at the show, was Motley Crue. Back then, Vince Neil could actually sing, and he started their set by putting his mic in the tailpipe of a motorcycle, and revving it up.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:51 pm 

Just came back from Washington D.C. after Memorial Day weekend. A lot of the sites there are very humbling, especially the Vietnam memorial and Arlington cemetery. It's hard to wrap your head around the number of lives that have been lost for the sake of the U.S.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:11 pm 

I'm giving that whole light novel thing a whirl again, and this time I intend to finish one!

Check it out!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:31 am 

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere yet, but happy 20 years to Metal Archives. Started in 2002 and look at it now. Amazing encyclopaedia.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:14 pm 

I've noticed a bunch of crappy threads lately in the metal discussion section, titled as provocative questions ("is Nightwish a weak symphonic metal band?", "is there a vocalist career more unfortunate than Tim Ripper Owens?", "does Tarja have the worst solo career in metal?", "why doesn't Terrence Hobbes or another Suffocation member remix the Breeding the Spawn album?". It irks me in ways I can't describe.

Also, I'm approaching 1,000 posts and my 4th year of using this site. Time flies.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:22 am 

Counter with some interesting threads, we definitely need them. I haven't even been here for a full year and I'm already getting bored of the stale topics. I try to make my own threads but they never really catch on, everything good has already been talked about.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:12 pm 

Commisaur seems to be responsible for a good number of those threads. Feels like he's coming up with the same kind of useless speculation you'd get from a Youtube channel. "Can Alex Lifeson play Effigy of the Forgotten?" :lol:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:11 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Counter with some interesting threads, we definitely need them. I haven't even been here for a full year and I'm already getting bored of the stale topics.

I tried starting one the other day about weird or unexpected lyrical themes (inspired by that album about Discord), but it didn't catch on.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319 ... 332  Next