Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:45 pm 

Alternative rock has recognizable and distinct musical characteristics. I like to use Nirvana's Nevermind as a good reference. However, the term has been used for the past 20 years to classify rock that the user finds unclassifiable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:40 pm 

It's "alternative" to like, old 70s and 80s rock-star stuff, but that hasn't really been the primary thing rock has meant in the media for ages now. But ah well.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:45 am 

Nah, when you say "rock" most people still think about The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. I'm not even sure I consider Radiohead a rock band, to me they are mostly an art pop/experimental/electronic outfit.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:
I've never understood the Mike Patton fascination

Finally someone gets it. Yeah, Mike, we know you can make all manner of weird noises and do a dead-on Anthony Kiedis impersonation with an even more nasally tone, but all of it sucks ass.

Bad take.

Anyways the worse rock band is Limp Bizkit because I can't remember anything else.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:18 pm 

Yeah, none of what Patton did with Faith No More comes even close to "weird noises". This will always be great:

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:29 pm 

The Doors must be up there. What a load of tosh that is.

Mongomery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:02 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
If you don't like Weezer, that's fine, but saying they're the worst rock band ever is kind of a stretch. Just saying :|

Actually you're right, I'm gonna redact that part of OP cause I just remembered Kid Rock exists. I tried to make it through "Devil Without a Cause", and it was the first time I had to stop halfway through an album for the sake of my mental health. I can't believe people listened to this willingly...

I share your opinion, Imagine Dragons is a sorry band with a strange following. But well, in our species there are tastes for everything hahaha.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 pm 

Oh hey, I think I mentioned them on the first page.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm 

I am embarrassed to admit that I had that Kid Rock album and was into it for awhile. Thankfully my senses (and better taste) got the better of me and moved on from that atrocity.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:44 pm 

AC/DC, followed by Nirvana and Coldplay. EDIT: oh yeah, and Rammstein.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:00 pm 

AC/DC, sure, The other three, no. Not even close.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:24 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
AC/DC, followed by Nirvana and Coldplay. EDIT: oh yeah, and Rammstein.

You might have a bit of a point with Coldplay (particularly their later works), but the other three don't even come close to being the worst!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:27 pm 

AC/DC is tremendous. Real hot-blooded, old school rock and roll.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:37 pm 

Shinedown is a real contender for me, I actually think they're worse than Nickelback. It's literally just elevator music played on distorted guitars. Boring, pedestrian, and monotonous even for butt rock standards.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:15 pm 

AC/DC is awful. One of the most self-derivative bands I've ever heard, awful stereotypical cheesy rock lyrics about rock and roll and women and kicking asses, and Brian Johnson is one of the most unlistenable vocalists I've heard. He's like Udo Dirkschneider but ten times as annoying.

Last edited by Lord_Of_Diamonds on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:25 pm 

AC/DC's biggest crime was not breaking up in like 82 or whenever. They were iconoclastic cultural legends for a good decade or so and would've had a fantastic reputation if they'd stayed that way. I think part of the reason that it's popular to shit on em is because they're much less interesting outside of that context and they've existed for like forty years longer than they probably should've. I'm not really a big fan myself (my dad is (as all dad's are required to be by law) so I know plenty of their stuff, probably more than most since I wager most bystanders couldn't name which songs were on Flick of the Switch or Fly on the Wall) but the idea that they're generic is so laughable since they helped codify a bunch of rock n roll tropes in the first place.

Definitely self plagiarists though. I swear they had one kinda new idea in my lifetime and even that was Thunderstruck, which is like 30+ years old at this point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:26 pm 

I am being one hundred percent serious when I say that I would rather listen to Six Feet Under cover AC/DC than listen to actual AC/DC. At least when Six Feet Under is playing it, you can laugh at it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:30 pm 

I think the negative opinions come from Back in Black being their big flagship album and also just not being their best work - that's easily the simplest and most basic one I've heard from them. Highway to Hell is way better and The Razor's Edge is also a really fucking good album with some of their best tunes.

I mean sure they have a formula they never deviate from, but it's great if you like that style and I don't need them to do anything else. Like many beloved metal acts like Running Wild or Cannibal Corpse, you just take whichever albums you like and it scratches an itch.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:04 pm 

I know people who are as obsessive with AC/DC as they are Iron Maiden and Motorhead. Music nuts, not rock n' rollers. Like they celebrate even the deep cuts on albums that few people would ever think to play. Fanatics. Dissect down to vinyl pops each new album (are they still active?). Talk about Phil Rudd like he is a god. Many of them are punk.

I'm not that way. But I also think Back in Black is their best album. I have maybe 20 editions of it. Various masterings and pressings. I've never tired of it. I like that era quite a bit anyway. For Those is also great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:14 pm 

I mean there are so many metal acts that do this exact same thing, releasing the same album over and over with the same lyrical themes, vocals, etc, that it doesn't make any sense to single out AC/DC for it unless you also totally hate all those metal bands too. If you just don't dig the sound that's fine - I just don't really get any of these other critiques on a metal board of all places.

Playing Razor's Edge now - thundering, hammering grooves and inimitable charisma. Wonderful.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm 

What about the Red Hot Chili Peppers? I liked Mother's Milk and Bloodsugarsexmagik but they've grown worse ever since. Another band that grown worse as they aged is U2. Their '80s albums were great though I found 'The Joshua Tree' and 'Rattle and Hum' too overplayed, or at least the singles from it. They reinvented themselves for the '90s with 'Achtung Baby' but again got worse as that decade wore on. And then from the 2000's and onward, I didn't care for their music anymore and didn't want to do anything with them any longer. That was until they made the ultimate dick move and pushed their then new album to my iPhone even if I didn't want it.

And yes. AC/DC is awesome despite how repetitive they are!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 pm 

Seconding U2, their music always bored the crap out of me and they left a sour taste in my mouth by forcibly inserting their music onto everyone's iPhone. It always enrages me when I'm trying to play music from Youtube in my car and Bono starts whining about the size of his turds while the song I actually want to hear is loading.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:38 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
What about the Red Hot Chili Peppers? I liked Mother's Milk and Bloodsugarsexmagik but they've grown worse ever since. Another band that grown worse as they aged is U2. Their '80s albums were great though I found 'The Joshua Tree' and 'Rattle and Hum' too overplayed, or at least the singles from it. They reinvented themselves for the '90s with 'Achtung Baby' but again got worse as that decade wore on. And then from the 2000's and onward, I didn't care for their music anymore and didn't want to do anything with them any longer. That was until they made the ultimate dick move and pushed their then new album to my iPhone even if I didn't want it.

Not to mention that Anthony Kiedis is a douchebag.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:56 pm 

"Elevator music played on distorted guitars." Applies to any number of generic, bland, soulless paint-by-numbers bands you hear on the radio these days.

I have always had a soft spot for AC/DC, but I tend to prefer the Bon Scott era stuff (everything they did prior to "Back in Black," in other words.) "Back in Black," and "For Those About to Rock" were still decent albums though, and "Flick of the Switch" and "Who Made Who" were okay, but afterwords, it just kind of got bland. And part of the problem for me was by that time, my musical tastes had drifted almost exclusively towards thrash and death metal, along with hardcore punk, so I just wasn't that interested in them anymore.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I mean there are so many metal acts that do this exact same thing, releasing the same album over and over with the same lyrical themes, vocals, etc, that it doesn't make any sense to single out AC/DC for it unless you also totally hate all those metal bands too.

Funny thing is - I do! Especially the copycats, e.g. the new waves of retro-thrash and traditional heavy metal.

Of course, experimentation is a double edged sword. You might make something great or your creation might totally suck ass because it's so departed from what you used to do.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I mean there are so many metal acts that do this exact same thing, releasing the same album over and over with the same lyrical themes, vocals, etc, that it doesn't make any sense to single out AC/DC for it unless you also totally hate all those metal bands too.

Yeah, but some of those bands offend normies, that makes them cool. It’s the difference between being uncreative, and staying true.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:02 am 

Why can't Kid Rock be more like his brother, The?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:22 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Judas Maiden wrote:

Not to mention that Anthony Kiedis is a douchebag.

Yea, Anthony Kiedis has moved to Fred Durst level for me when it comes to lyrics. Holy shit is he ever a moron.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:19 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Why can't Kid Rock be more like his brother, The?

Modern FG moment, lol.

It's the dawn of descending...

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:46 am 

The discussion of mainstream and alternative rock really hammered home how different rock and roll music has become from its roots. Not all of it, but so much of it has basically become sad, angsty middle-aged white guy music with none of the charisma, fun, and flair of what it was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. No wonder it's dying off.

Speaking of which, what was the worst rock band from the 50s, 60s, and 70s?

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:09 pm 

Yuli Ban wrote:
so much of it has basically become sad, angsty middle-aged white guy music with none of the charisma, fun, and flair of what it was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. No wonder it's dying off.

Couldn't you say that about metal too though? I don't see Manowar, Hammerfall, Dragonforce, and Sabaton topping our polls and charts. People here generally like pretty dark and angry stuff.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:50 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Yuli Ban wrote:
so much of it has basically become sad, angsty middle-aged white guy music with none of the charisma, fun, and flair of what it was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. No wonder it's dying off.

Couldn't you say that about metal too though? I don't see Manowar, Hammerfall, Dragonforce, and Sabaton topping our polls and charts. People here generally like pretty dark and angry stuff.

I think when he says "sad and angsty" he refers to bands that seem to only exist to convey surface level emotions without signifying anything genuinely profound. That's a lot different from the darker side of metal, where the insignificance of these emotions in the face of humanity's fears - death, spiritual/natural forces, etc. - is usually emphasised instead.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:56 am 

I've got a candidate for this thread: Dragged Under. A terrible screamo revival band that has gained a surprising amount of traction in the couple years they've existed. Faceless vocals, plastic sounding production, and awful lyrics that are either usual "emotional" screamo stuff or surface-level social commentary that consists of "the media is trying to control you, journalists don't tell the truth, it's like both sides are the same or something man". I recommend the songs Chelsea and Brainwash Broadcast as examples of how embarrassing their music is.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:41 am 

Weezer, the Offspring, Coheed and Cambria, any of that late nineties early 2000s buttrock stuff like Nickelback, Buckcherry, Hinder etc.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:07 pm 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
the Offspring

Them's fightin' words, bucko.

(actually almost all of their singles are terrible but the rest of the tracks on any given album are a million times better, they do still write legit punk songs and always have but their most bare-bones joke tracks are always the hits for some reason)
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:24 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I've got a candidate for this thread: Dragged Under. A terrible screamo revival band that has gained a surprising amount of traction in the couple years they've existed. Faceless vocals, plastic sounding production, and awful lyrics that are either usual "emotional" screamo stuff or surface-level social commentary that consists of "the media is trying to control you, journalists don't tell the truth, it's like both sides are the same or something man". I recommend the songs Chelsea and Brainwash Broadcast as examples of how embarrassing their music is.

Eww. I checked these guys out and they definitely aren't great. I guess the guitars sound nice, but I don't think I could listen to this shit more than a couple minutes before bashing my own head in.

I'm also gonna nominate Falling in Reverse, I heard their song "Zombified" on the radio a couple days ago and I couldn't get over how shitty it is. For starters, the melodies make you wonder why they pursued music, particularly in the chorus. What's even worse though is the lyrics, here's an excerpt:

Spoiler: show
Falling In Reverse wrote:
Cause everybody's talking bitch
Oh no, they'll never let go
Of something you said 10 years ago
They're cancelling, cancelling you
And they won't stop 'till everybody's

Zombified (Zombified)
They're pumping us with lies
Like it's formaldehyde
They're dead inside
It goes on and on, let this go
When it stops, we'll never know
We're hypnotized
And they won't stop 'till you're
Zombified

Here's the song if you feel like ruining your day:
Spoiler: show

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 pm 

The Offspring do have some good songs, though I was never a particular fan of Dexter Holland's vocals in particular. But some of their stuff is just godawful terrible- that "Give it to me baby, uh huh, uh huh" song from 1999, for example is utterly cringe-worthy. "Gotta Keep em Separated" is just overplayed to crap, as well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:28 pm 

Rock Band introduced me to Offspring with this song, and it's still my favorite by them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:39 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
[...]I'm not really a big fan myself (my dad is (as all dad's are required to be by law) so I know plenty of their stuff, probably more than most since I wager most bystanders couldn't name which songs were on Flick of the Switch or Fly on the Wall) [...]

That made me laugh :lol:
I had to listen to ACDC (And Nazareth, Rammstein, Queen and various rock bands) in the car rides with my dad all the time as a kid. He made up for it by playing Vol 4 by Black Sabbath.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:46 pm 

akb88 wrote:
The Doors...

Great band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next