Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:12 am 

Ezadara wrote:
Lol, can we also not act like third parties are offering amazing candidates? Think what you want about Clinton in 2016, but like... Gary 'What is Aleppo?' Johnson? Jill 'Wi-Fi kills kids' Stein?

We don't have a political system that favors the emergence of a third party that is viable in the long-term. That has nothing to do with people choosing to vote for Democrats because that's the only way their vote is going to make a difference. Personally, I wouldn't mind more viable parties, but if you think it's gonna happen because of a mass exodus from the two main parties into the others, you're gonna be waiting a real long time.

Change doesn't happen overnight, either. How much compromise and concessions are we going to make over the years before we end up with a legitimately good candidate? Yeah, yeah, don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough...I've heard this time and time again. I'm not even talking perfect, either.

What'll end up happening is the campaign slogan will end up being "Hey! At least I'm not Trump!" which, while it is a net positive, is an abysmally low bar to set.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 am 

Ezadara wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
God I fucking hate these sanctimonious garbage-ass posts blaming third party voters. I didn't even vote third party or like any of those candidates and it still makes my blood boil. Like yeah sure the government and political parties just have no responsibility here...

The 2016 margin in Wisconsin was a matter of 20,000 votes. The Green Party votes alone were ten thousand more. The Libertarian Party (most of whose voters expressed that they would otherwise have voted Dem) took over five times the margin. Smaller left-wing parties took a few thousand as well. The margin in Michigan was even smaller-- just 5% of those third party voters sucking it up and voting Clinton would have flipped the state.

Obviously in the end it's on the party to appeal to those voters. I also don't care if you wanna vote third party statewide in Massachusetts or California. But I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that all those Green and Libertarian voters in swing states who refused to vote for a Democrat because 'both sides bad!' don't share some responsibility for their state going for Trump. And I'm sure as hell not gonna pretend it's totally cool to vote third party and act like Dems and Republicans are equally bad when our entire democracy is on the line. That's not 'sanctimonious'. People are going to die because of a Supreme Court decision that would not have happened if a few thousand voters in swing states had gone with Clinton, their second choice, instead of a third party. That's just a fact. Elections have consequences. If you want to vote for a third party you know ain't getting anywhere near winning, that's your right, but you also better face up to the fact that you're one less vote for keeping a Republican from voting to institute the death penalty for abortion and overturn the next presidential election won by a Democrat. That may not matter in a blue state, which is why I don't care if you do that in Hawaii, but I sure as heck care if you do it in Pennsylvania.

If people weren't voting for the Democrats, there are good reasons why and it was the party's job to address those things. But the party doesn't care about the working class or helping people.

I guess people might see this as me advocating not voting or whatever, but sure - there are differences between these parties and voting for the Dems is good to do solely as harm reduction from the even worse Repubs.

That said I just get so exhausted reading spirited defenses of these people as if they're heroes or whatever.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Ezadara wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
God I fucking hate these sanctimonious garbage-ass posts blaming third party voters. I didn't even vote third party or like any of those candidates and it still makes my blood boil. Like yeah sure the government and political parties just have no responsibility here...

The 2016 margin in Wisconsin was a matter of 20,000 votes. The Green Party votes alone were ten thousand more. The Libertarian Party (most of whose voters expressed that they would otherwise have voted Dem) took over five times the margin. Smaller left-wing parties took a few thousand as well. The margin in Michigan was even smaller-- just 5% of those third party voters sucking it up and voting Clinton would have flipped the state.

Obviously in the end it's on the party to appeal to those voters. I also don't care if you wanna vote third party statewide in Massachusetts or California. But I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that all those Green and Libertarian voters in swing states who refused to vote for a Democrat because 'both sides bad!' don't share some responsibility for their state going for Trump. And I'm sure as hell not gonna pretend it's totally cool to vote third party and act like Dems and Republicans are equally bad when our entire democracy is on the line. That's not 'sanctimonious'. People are going to die because of a Supreme Court decision that would not have happened if a few thousand voters in swing states had gone with Clinton, their second choice, instead of a third party. That's just a fact. Elections have consequences. If you want to vote for a third party you know ain't getting anywhere near winning, that's your right, but you also better face up to the fact that you're one less vote for keeping a Republican from voting to institute the death penalty for abortion and overturn the next presidential election won by a Democrat. That may not matter in a blue state, which is why I don't care if you do that in Hawaii, but I sure as heck care if you do it in Pennsylvania.

If people weren't voting for the Democrats, there are good reasons why and it was the party's job to address those things. But the party doesn't care about the working class or helping people.

Protecting SCOTUS and abortion rights (and potentially gay marriage, contraception access, etc.).

Boom.

One MAJOR. FUCKING. GOOD. REASON.

That's all you fucking need. "Oh but they don't do enough on A or B" Everything the Democrats "don't do enough", the Republicans are going the opposite way. "Democrats don't help me pay for food" - Republicans will make it worse! "Democrats don't do enough about the environment" - Republicans are against all forms of environmental protection (except around Miera-A-Lago).

Women are losing their rights. LGBTQ are next! You don't have the time to make a 3rd party magically viable, or have the Democratic party suddenly become more left than it is right now. If you want better candidates, that's on primaries. That's not a difficult concept to understand????

Your house is on fire. Your options are either you call the firemen, either you call the arsonists, or you call your mom and you burn with the house in it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:01 am 

I voted Dem every time. You're basically preaching to the choir, but there's a lot of people who don't see it like you do. Screaming at them and condescending to them was never gonna be a strategy.

There's also the fact that Biden is currently president and isn't doing stuff he could do that would help NOW... like expanding the court, removing the filibuster, etc.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1541111717140234241 - here's some solutions from AOC we could also do now, before any more voting happens. I'll admit I was wrong if this government does these things. If not then it just seems like they want to hold this issue over peoples' heads indefinitely as an incentive to keep them in power.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:11 am 

In 2016, I lived in California. I voted third party for the Presidential ticket, just like I had in 2012. I knew it was a safe choice - my one vote would not be able to put Clinton's receipt of the California electoral vote in any actual danger - so I decided to put another number towards an outside option.

In 2020, I lived in Virginia. I voted for Biden, because even though I despise the lackluster Democratic Party, I absolute abhor the Christo-Fascist Republican Party and their King Kardashian. In Virginia, my vote mattered much more, so I voted pragmatically.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:59 am 

Frankly, this is sort of the fault of liberal people being too nice and not being aggressive enough.

How many of you have pro-life friends or relatives? Have you punished them for there dangerous views?

If not, then you have to understand that you are partially to blame.

People respond to incentives. If you don't hold your close ones with retrograde views accountable then they will keep resorting to violence and violence-adjacent actions.

Truthfully, the constitution needs to be scrapped. It was made by white men for white men. It has no relevance in a diverse society.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 pm 

JCP524 wrote:
How many of you have pro-life friends or relatives? Have you punished them for there dangerous views?

This is a pretty good jumping off point for discussing something I've experienced lately, which is where friends of mine turn out to have crappy views on various subjects. I'm friends with people who are against covid vaccine mandates and are skeptical of covid vaccines. Granted, their ideology is fueled by the fact that they have some weird genetic issue that makes them have violent reactions to flu and COVID vaccines. But still, it puts them in a position to become useful idiots for full on anti vax conspiracy shit.

I have another friend who I had a go-around recently with about staying "neutral" in situations like queerphobia and social injustice. She's a subscriber to the "peaceful debate" ideology and the conversation I had with her is where I lifted my butter and jelly toast quip I made on the last page while arguing with SnowListener. That was the example she gave of a debate scenario where both sides calmly listened to the issues and discussed them: a debate about whether it's better to put butter or jelly on your toast every morning. I explained that such a debate has nowhere near as much impact as whether or not queer people get rights or something similar, but no, she still didn't want to take sides and then explained how she came to that conclusion. She grew up in a household with a conservative dad and a liberal mom who would fight a lot, eventually split, and she spent her childhood going back and forth from her dad's to her mom's as part of the custody agreement. That was her reasoning: after getting caught in the duality of conservative vs. liberal and being forced to "choose" between spending time with her mom or dad, she didn't want to take any side anymore. Which, after I heard that story, I sympathized with, even if it meant she was still apathetic. I know she's not queerphobic or bigoted otherwise. For what it's worth, she's queer herself. But her philosophy when faced with actual bigotry is to say "yeah, that's just, like, your opinion man". This is in stark contrast to my approach, which, as I've already stated, is to raise my middle finger and say "fuck you".

Some of my friends are just straight up apathetic for no reason other than they find politics "boring" and want nothing to do with it. But I want to believe their hearts are in the right place. They're fun to hang out with and they're vital to me because I'm an extrovert and need social interaction to stay sane. My political stance is simple: if I see bullshit, I call it out, and that applies to my friends. But it's so much easier said than done to end a relationship I've spent a long time cultivating because of said bullshit.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:49 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Some of my friends are just straight up apathetic for no reason other than they find politics "boring" and want nothing to do with it.
This has a lot to do with being young. They don't teach you of the impact of politics in school, or at least they didn't when I was in school. Social media has picked up that role. They teach you facts, dates, people, etc, but they don't teach impact or philosophies. I remember the first time I heard an immigrant talk about The Constitution. They talked about it being an idea, about it being a human right document. That might seem obvious to an adult and someone who has some experience with life, but to a 14 year old kid? I think if you are on the right, or your parents raised you from the right, you're anti-intellectualism and anti-elitist. That can take a very long time, if ever, to dawn on you. Of course, I'm generalizing, but to teach things that involve self-reflection, self-awareness rather than the rigid "This is how I am. This is how I've always been." That involves some relatively difficult methods to appeal and influence a young mind. We don't just do a terrible job of it in our education system. We don't even try. I personally believe they should be teaching some variation of philosophy in high school. To get kids open and exposed to the idea of thinking and ideas and perspective. I don't mean to derail the conversation, but I think this is a key element of why so many people are late to politics and realizing how they impact life. For most, it's this negative, amorphous business over there that doesn't make anymore sense than astrophysics or higher mathematics.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:44 pm 

That makes a lot of sense. If you haven't had a lot of life experience or you don't know the real world impact of things that some people take for granted, like the use of the word "gay" as a negative descriptor, it makes it that much harder to care.

The really bad COVID time from about March 2020 to a year and a half afterwards or so was a huge turning point for me in that regard. So much shit was happening: George Floyd and related incidents, the ongoing gender/sexuality awakening, and of course, dealing with COVID itself. It was during that time that I slowly began to realize that I couldn't afford to not care about the world's issues, despite being apathetic up to that point and even proudly calling myself a centrist. There's too much bad shit going on, some of which directly affects me and/or people I know and care about, to stand idly by and say "not my problem" or "politics is boring so I don't want to talk about it". I'd like to believe that most other people have the potential to realize the same thing but just don't have the life experience yet to get to the conclusion.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:34 pm 

JCP524 wrote:
Frankly, this is sort of the fault of liberal people being too nice and not being aggressive enough.

YES

All of you people who say I'm dogwhistling. No. I'm mad that nobody has realized this.

JCP524 wrote:
FTruthfully, the constitution needs to be scrapped. It was made by white men for white men. It has no relevance in a diverse society.

I prefer to call it what George Carlin calls it: "One group trying to control another."

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 pm 

I think saying it has no relevance in a diverse society is going a little far, especially considering much of the world looks to it as the best humanity has yet to offer. Warts and all. The way we've deified it is indeed ridiculous, but it has done an awful lot of good since it was written. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is foolish and not a solution to its vices. I'm not interested in that sort of reflex. People around the world don't scratch and crawl to come to the USA because of money. They essentially do it because of The Constitution.

Another thing...I want to be clear that I'm not apologizing for slavery, nor excusing it or marginalizing it. Slavery has been around since the caves. It's a little bit suspect, if not very weird, that many people seem to think the USA, or at least Western civilization, invented the practice. The vikings enslaved. Slaves built the pyramids. Native Americans enslaved. Point to any ancient culture, and it is likely it involved slavery. Not to make light of it, but slaves were the first technological convenience. Didn't want to work your fields? Get a slave. Didn't want to build that thing? Get a slave. The Constitution has done a lot to make it taboo.

One of the many problems with modern society is its impatience, and by impatience, I mean its impulsiveness. I want this, and I want it now. Nature doesn't work like that. People don't work like that. Culture doesn't work like that. And yes, it can take hundreds of years.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:02 pm 

The US has just become an easy target to shit on for a lot of the world. Yes, we have our numerous flaws and a deplorable history (as if we're the only country that has that), but we've come a long way. And the ideas and concepts outlined in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution have been amended and expanded upon as we've grown as a society and learned more as a people.

Instead of actually acknowledging the good things the Constitution and the BoR has done, everyone has just lazily concluded "aMeRiCa bAd! cOnStItUtIoN oUtDaTeD!!" and left it at that without even offering any sort of nuance whatsoever.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:02 pm 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/l ... 729352001/

If the DA of a red state's capital city refuses to prosecute? It's looking like the assholes who want this as law are going to be in for a rude awakening.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:35 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Instead of actually acknowledging the good things the Constitution and the BoR has done, everyone has just lazily concluded "aMeRiCa bAd! cOnStItUtIoN oUtDaTeD!!" and left it at that without even offering any sort of nuance whatsoever.

Fascism doesn't respect nuance. The document isn't ultimately what's important.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:38 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
The US has just become an easy target to shit on for a lot of the world. Yes, we have our numerous flaws and a deplorable history (as if we're the only country that has that), but we've come a long way. And the ideas and concepts outlined in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution have been amended and expanded upon as we've grown as a society and learned more as a people.

Because there's not really much nuance to consider. It should be redone and codified with rights for everyone, and done by people who weren't slave owners. But it seems like there's very little political will to change what's wrong with it. If anyone was talking about adding things to make shit more equal I'd not even mention this issue.

And I don't claim that the US is the only bad thing in the world, it's just the only country I've lived in full time so it's the one I talk about the most. Plus its oversized influence on the world for decades. I think respecting countries and old documents is dumb as shit. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Another thing...I want to be clear that I'm not apologizing for slavery, nor excusing it or marginalizing it. Slavery has been around since the caves. It's a little bit suspect, if not very weird, that many people seem to think the USA, or at least Western civilization, invented the practice. The vikings enslaved. Slaves built the pyramids. Native Americans enslaved. Point to any ancient culture, and it is likely it involved slavery. Not to make light of it, but slaves were the first technological convenience. Didn't want to work your fields? Get a slave. Didn't want to build that thing? Get a slave. The Constitution has done a lot to make it taboo.

Who's saying it wasn't around before the US? Most other places probably aren't still rife with as many relics and apologists for it like we are. Or maybe they are but maybe all of that shit should be expunged.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:38 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Because there's not really much nuance to consider. It should be redone and codified with rights for everyone, and done by people who weren't slave owners. But it seems like there's very little political will to change what's wrong with it. If anyone was talking about adding things to make shit more equal I'd not even mention this issue.

And I don't claim that the US is the only bad thing in the world, it's just the only country I've lived in full time so it's the one I talk about the most. Plus its oversized influence on the world for decades. I think respecting countries and old documents is dumb as shit. Just my opinion.

Do you not understand what a Constitutional amendment is?

Y'know, like this one?

Quote:
Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The idea that we just need to toss the entire thing out and redo it is kind of absurd to me.

It is, and has always been, a people issue...specifically, people with ideologies that strip people of their natural rights. The rights more or less already laid out in the Consitution, the further amendments and the Bill of Rights, both the explicit and implicit rights (or at least the acknowldgement that there are indeed such rigths). UNFORTUNATELY, those people sometimes find their way into positions of power.

I already explained this in a previous post...

BastardHead wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:58 am 

RE: the laws that say you can't leave the state for an abortion

What's the workaround? Because it seems, in my limited understanding, that a state cannot charge you for a crime if the location wherein it occurred it's either (a) outside of their jurisdiction, or (b) legal. For example, if Texas were to try to prosecute somebody for traveling to Oregon for an abortion, how would that not be a violation of jurisdictional limits (as Texas state laws do not apply to Oregon), the Right to Travel (as ruled by Kent v. Dulles, which allows citizens to travel freely unless under investigation with due process), the Fourth Amendment (protection against unreasonable search and seizure, ie. "traveling out of state is not probable cause to assume illegal activities have occurred"), and/or the Fourteenth Amendment (which Roe was ruled under, but still does not allow prosecution for activities that occurred in jurisdictions where such things are legal)?

darkeningday wrote:

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:46 am 

That is an excellent question, and I have no idea. The whole thing is twisted and fucked to begin with. This shouldn't have happened, plain and simple. States pass unconstitutional laws all the time and, for better or worse, SCOTUS and other courts lower than them often get to pick and choose which cases they see using their own discretion...and that's assuming someone has the gumption to challenge said laws in court (which will inevitably happen with this particular issue. The sooner the better imo)

As I've said before, this wouldn't even have been an issue if the states had said

"Oh, SCOTUS is leaving it up to us to decide and not making it a federal issue? Ok, cool. We will enshrine protections of reproductive rights in our states' constitution or make new laws that do so if that isn't an option!"

BastardHead wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
and done by people who weren't slave owners.
Again, I don't understand why this is relevant to any conversation of today. It was the norm then. Not only with the wealthy, but culturally and historically across the globe, particularly when looking at agrarian economies. And yet, they created two of the most important, if not THE most important human rights documents in the history of the world. This is a substantial problem with the left (and I consider myself a progressive on the cusp of moderate to extreme). They expect perfection, and then oddly expecting it retroactively and with revision. There's no logic in it, and even worse, it clouds the goals and creates unattractive hurdles for the addition in politics. The goal is to achieve this and that, and you do it by adding people to the mix, not by creating illogical, idealistic situations that make people cringe at the rhetoric. One more time: throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a solution; not even the start of a solution.

I apologize for getting sidetracked, but I see this constantly thrown into discussions where it has no place or relevance in the first place. Nevermind the fact that the logic would dictate you could negate anything and everything of value throughout history through the lens of whatever the date is on that present day. I genuinely don't understand that, even when I consider how frustrated and loss for words we are right now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:56 pm 

Bringing up the fact that the founding fathers were slave owners is relevant because their views on slaves and non-whites influenced how they built everything, literally every institution has racist roots and it still affects minorities today (for instance, the first "cops" in America were slave catchers). Moreover, Confederates are still treated as some quaint relic, tolerated, or even respected as "heritage" instead of the slavery apologists and seditionists that they were, and you got tons of lobbies and groups pushing to excuse, handwave, or outright erase this history from textbooks, teaching future generations this sanitized American Exceptionalism bullshit history, that racism is over, and so on. They've already started outright banning books in numerous states, and not even the 1st amendment can seemingly save that. So much for the precious Constitution.

The Constitution is, frankly, dogshit, and Americans' reverence towards that outdated piece of paper borders on cult-like. It's especially galling considering how basically impossible the US Constitution is to amend, which means it will forever remain stale, and forever enforced by a council of 9 hand-picked people with supreme power who rule for life.

Your country is fundamentally broken, and the fact that 50 years of progress was just erased a few days ago shows how much of a failure your nation is.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:18 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Bringing up the fact that the founding fathers were slave owners is relevant because their views on slaves and non-whites influenced how they built everything, literally every institution has racist roots and it still affects minorities today (for instance, the first "cops" in America were slave catchers). Moreover, Confederates are still treated as some quaint relic, tolerated, or even respected as "heritage" instead of the slavery apologists and seditionists that they were, and you got tons of lobbies and groups pushing to excuse, handwave, or outright erase this history from textbooks, teaching future generations this sanitized American Exceptionalism bullshit history, that racism is over, and so on. They've already started outright banning books in numerous states, and not even the 1st amendment can seemingly save that. So much for the precious Constitution.

The Constitution is, frankly, dogshit, and Americans' reverence towards that outdated piece of paper borders on cult-like. It's especially galling considering how basically impossible the US Constitution is to amend, which means it will forever remain state, and forever enforced by a council of 9 hand-picked people with supreme power who rule for life.

Your country is fundamentally broken, and the fact that 50 years of progress was just erased a few days ago shows how much of a failure your nation is.

Morrigan, what you just said is entirely spot on. This whole thing with the overturning of Roe v. Wade, plus the founding fathers being slaveowners, Confederate apologists that somehow still exist to this day, the flaws in our Constitution, and every other problem in America seriously needs to be addressed. And the fact that many folks (especially the mainstream American conservative lovers) just dismiss all of these criticisms as "anti-American nonsense from the radical left" makes it all the more frustrating. If only they would just take off their rose-colored glasses for even a couple of seconds...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:20 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
and done by people who weren't slave owners.
Again, I don't understand why this is relevant to any conversation of today. It was the norm then. Not only with the wealthy, but culturally and historically across the globe, particularly when looking at agrarian economies. And yet, they created two of the most important, if not THE most important human rights documents in the history of the world. This is a substantial problem with the left (and I consider myself a progressive on the cusp of moderate to extreme). They expect perfection, and then oddly expecting it retroactively and with revision. There's no logic in it, and even worse, it clouds the goals and creates unattractive hurdles for the addition in politics. The goal is to achieve this and that, and you do it by adding people to the mix, not by creating illogical, idealistic situations that make people cringe at the rhetoric. One more time: throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a solution; not even the start of a solution.

I apologize for getting sidetracked, but I see this constantly thrown into discussions where it has no place or relevance in the first place. Nevermind the fact that the logic would dictate you could negate anything and everything of value throughout history through the lens of whatever the date is on that present day. I genuinely don't understand that, even when I consider how frustrated and loss for words we are right now.

Yeah and it was a dog shit norm. It should be totally gotten rid of in any aspect of modern society.

I don't buy this "expecting perfection" shit either. That's just strawman stuff... this accusation happens any time we say any aspect of this country or modern life needs improvement. If there was a good solution being proposed by the main avenues of power then maybe we'd be able to have another conversation about this. As is, posting about what we don't like about all this shit on the internet does not equal somehow shooting a revolution in the foot. There's not really a revolution to begin with yet. Once the Biden admin is actually taking real action to fight back against all this Roe stuff going on, then maybe there'd be some praise to be had for that effort.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah and it was a dog shit norm. It should be totally gotten rid of in any aspect of modern society.

What does this mean? Really. You're going to get rid of The Constitution and Bill of Rights because when it was written, it didn't meet up to 2022 snuff? Even when they continue to be the blue star paradigm and aspirations and dreams of many around the world? What's the purpose? You dump the things and have them re-written by a group in 2022 who meet every requirement and moral code (good luck with that), yet the bare bones remain these things. Like Sharon Osbourne having someone play the bass on a reissue so she doesn't have to pay the original musician, though all the notes are the same? It's not as if we can imagine these things evaporated and as if they never happened. I guess I'm wondering if you think that where we are today is a logical conclusion, as in it was inevitable, that we would end up here. That what is happening now is fate and not the positive consequences and results of things like The Constitution and Bill of Rights, just as a couple of examples.

Empyreal wrote:
I don't buy this "expecting perfection" shit either. That's just strawman stuff... this accusation happens any time we say any aspect of this country or modern life needs improvement.
The strawman is manipulating what I said into disagreeing with your second sentence here. Nobody is arguing against improvement or progress. I know I'm not. I do find it silly, and immature, that anyone wants to dump something because it problematic, yet still yielding positive things (see above). That's the perfectionism and absolutism of the constant stream of outrage and frustration; emotional response rather than rational response. Pedantry and nitpicking people and things, though they're ultimately good or ultimately assets. Playing the short game rather than the long game. Everything and everyone needs refinement, but that doesn't indicate to me to dump those imperfect people and things as they're still providing good value and performance. As I'm interpreting you, you're arguing like social media behaves. I find it foolish, though mostly goodhearted.

I'm not interested in arguing this much further. We disagree, and I'm fine with that. That's life.

*came back to edit a sentence. didn't edit content.

Last edited by ZenoMarx on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:33 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

The Constitution is, frankly, dogshit, and Americans' reverence towards that outdated piece of paper borders on cult-like. It's especially galling considering how basically impossible the US Constitution is to amend, which means it will forever remain state, and forever enforced by a council of 9 hand-picked people with supreme power who rule for life.

Morrigan, what you just said is entirely spot on. This whole thing with the overturning of Roe v. Wade, plus the founding fathers being slaveowners, Confederate apologists that somehow still exist to this day, the flaws in our Constitution, and every other problem in America seriously needs to be addressed. And the fact that many folks (especially the mainstream American conservative lovers) just dismiss all of these criticisms as "anti-American nonsense from the radical left" makes it all the more frustrating. If only they would just take off their rose-colored glasses for even a couple of seconds...

Concur on all this.

I cannot believe how many think the constitution should be saved, or can be saved....

It has got to go and, frankly, we don't need to hear the revisionist ignorant opinions of those who disagree.

Ibram X. Kendi offers a good starting point:

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... amendment/

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:33 pm 

So I don't know if any of you just caught any of the last minute emergency hearing, but there's some major shit going down and it looks like Trump could be in MAJOR trouble (I REALLY hope so.)

I didn't watch the whole thing, but very quickly in a nut-shell it SEEMS like the following: a white house staffer who was very close to the president's office (and they were clear that she was a staunch Trump supporter so her words mean even more) overheard a lot of things that the president said and did on January 6th.

He said that Mike Pence deserved to be hanged, and when he was in a car with some of his security he wanted to be taken to the capital to join the rioters.

He was told that it wasn't safe, that the rioters were heavily armed, even despite there being metal detectors to hopefully prevent them from getting close to the capital with their guns and weapons.

TRUMP TOLD THEM TO GET RID OF THE METAL DETECTORS and to let the rioters in because they "weren't there to hurt him", and demanded to be taken to the capital to join them.

When his security detail driving the car he was in refused and said "we have to go back to the west wing, it's not safe" Trump started yelling and tried to grab the wheel from his security. The guard removed the president's hand and repeated that they needed to return to the west wing, at which point TRUMP LUNGED FOR HIS THROAT.

Obviously the driver must have fought him off, and they returned to the west wing.

Trump was also said to have been yelling and "broken a plate" and insisted that the rioters were "doing nothing wrong."

Commentators were saying that this is evidence of Trump's wanting to fully support a violent coup, which should mean, if it were to go to trial and he were convicted, that he would never be allowed to hold public office again (and most likely do prison time I'd assume...)

Her words are further evidence that Trump specifically wanted the armed insurrection, and wanted to remove any impediments (like metal detectors) to it happening.

I hope he gets taken away in handcuffs.

We're about to find out if, metaphorically speaking, Trump can really "shoot someone in broad day light and get away with it..."

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:04 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The Constitution is, frankly, dogshit, and Americans' reverence towards that outdated piece of paper borders on cult-like.

Ah yes, what dogshit it is to have laws preventing the governing bodies from preventing my criticism of their policies! Total, just complete dogshit. It should be thrown out and replaced by something that basically does the same thing.

darkeningday wrote:

Last edited by hakarl on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warned for stupid

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:33 pm 

JCP524 wrote:
Ibram X. Kendi offers a good starting point:

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... amendment/
Is there more to that opinion than just the one paragraph? I ask because of how funny these news organizations get with paywalls and truncated articles until you pay. If not, he's not calling for the scrapping of The Constitution. He's calling for an amendment and likely a Constitutional Convention. Neither of which I have any qualms with happening. I have zero issue with changing it or things. The Constitution is not sacrosanct, nor is blasphemy to believe it needs changing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:38 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

What does this mean? Really. You're going to get rid of The Constitution and Bill of Rights because when it was written, it didn't meet up to 2022 snuff? Even when they continue to be the blue star paradigm and aspirations and dreams of many around the world? What's the purpose? You dump the things and have them re-written by a group in 2022 who meet every requirement and moral code (good luck with that), yet the bare bones remain these things. Like Sharon Osbourne having someone play the bass on a reissue so she doesn't have to pay the original musician, though all the notes are the same? It's not as if we can imagine these things evaporated and as if they never happened. I guess I'm wondering if you think that where we are today is a logical conclusion, as in it was inevitable, that we would end up here. That what is happening now is fate and not the positive consequences and results of things like The Constitution and Bill of Rights, just as a couple of examples.

Empyreal wrote:
I don't buy this "expecting perfection" shit either. That's just strawman stuff... this accusation happens any time we say any aspect of this country or modern life needs improvement.
The strawman is manipulating what I said into disagreeing with your second sentence here. Nobody is arguing against improvement or progress. I know I'm not. I do find it silly, and immature, that anyone wants to dump something because it problematic, yet still yielding positive things (see above). That's the perfectionism and absolutism of the constant stream of outrage and frustration; emotional response rather than rational response. Pedantry and nitpicking people and things, though they're ultimately good or ultimately assets. Playing the short game rather than the long game. Everything and everyone needs refinement, but that doesn't indicate to me to dump those imperfect people and things as they're still providing good value and performance. As I'm interpreting you, you're arguing like social media behaves. I find it foolish, though mostly goodhearted.

I'm not interested in arguing this much further. We disagree, and I'm fine with that. That's life.

*came back to edit a sentence. didn't edit content.

See, it's this "everything and everyone needs refinement" stuff that bugs me. I think that minimizes what we're talking about. Personally I just do not believe in respecting slave-owners or anything they did. "Not owning up to 2022 standards" - like you know we're talking about brutal American slavery and race violence, right? It's not about expecting perfection from every little thing.

People will act like free speech was only invented because of this one document and nobody else has ever had it. With all the stuff going on, I just think we really need to have drastic measures going on from an opposing side. Me writing these things on the internet is not somehow ruining an imagined revolution. I'll get behind causes that I think are worth it, as will everyone.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
See, it's this "everything and everyone needs refinement" stuff that bugs me. I think that minimizes what we're talking about.

That was not my intention, nor the atmosphere I hoped to create in my posts. I wasn't flippantly throwing around slavery. That's on me. I'll own it. I was hoping to point out context. History. Norms. etc. Slavery is clearly abhorrent, and it should have been thought so all along, but it wasn't. It's amazing that it took thousands of years (I'm not going to pretend to know how many) to arrive here. I'd say the same thing about women voting or not simply being property or a commodity. I'm blown away that fathers and brothers allowed the women in their lives to be treated like they were throughout history. However, there is a context to understanding all of that as well. How can that not be obviously wrong to everyone? How could it not be obviously wrong in 2000BC? Yet, that treatment and value system continues right now. Getting sidetracked there, but it's not all that far removed.

I don't have the time right now to get into the free speech part of your post. I will say that there's a reason why it is #1, as in the first, on the list. That right was not prevalent at the time.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:07 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Ah yes, what dogshit it is to have laws preventing the governing bodies from preventing my criticism of their policies!

Spare me your inane strawman.

Quote:
Total, just complete dogshit. It should be thrown out and replaced by something that basically does the same thing.

I mean lol. Did you not read the full post? It's dogshit because it cannot even be amended anymore due to the massively disproportional and unequal amounts of power states have:

Quote:
- Congress must call a convention for proposing amendments upon application of the legislatures of two-thirds of the states (i.e., 34 of 50 states).
- Amendments proposed by Congress or convention become valid only when ratified by the legislatures of, or conventions in, three-fourths of the states (i.e., 38 of 50 states).

Getting 38 state legislatures on board with... well, anything really, is impossible these days. The last amendment was 30 years ago, and states are far far more divided now than they were even then. This is simply the reality of the situation: passing a new constitutional amendment is basically an impossibility. Even more absurd if we bear mind that this gives the same amount of power to states like both Dakotas which have a combined population of 1.6mil to California which has 40mil*. So you might have millions of American support a Thing, but the Dakotas will decide for them instead.

So this leaves you with a document that cannot be feasibly amended whatsoever, yet one where millions of Americans believe to be sacrosanct to a religious-like degree, and from which the most important SCOTUS decisions that impact people's lives supposedly derive. That's not great is it.

* This is also why the Senate is so fundamentally broken. The Dakotas alone have 4 senate seats for 1.6 mil people vs California's 2 seats for 40 mil. Considering how much federal power the senate has, this is obviously laughably absurd.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
* This is also why the Senate is so fundamentally broken. The Dakotas alone have 4 senate seats for 1.6 mil people vs California's 2 seats for 40 mil. Considering how much federal power the senate has, this is obviously laughably absurd.

Agreed. The Senate was originally created to be a tempering body of elder statesmen who could stem the tide of demagoguery in the House of Representatives, and to keep large, industrial states from dominating the rights of smaller, more agrarian states. Senators were elected by their respective state legislatures, with the idea being that the most senior, respected and experienced politicians would make up the Senate.

The tide of democracy that has drowned most of the original Constitutional anti-democratic institutions did away with this, with Senators becoming popularly elected officials with the passage of the 17th amendment in 1913. The issue is that the Senate itself has not been tempered to fit its new role, and now we have absolute bonkers clownshoes like Ted Cruz wielding power far greater than that of most of the rest of government.

While I think that the fear of demagoguery is very real (and something that every Trump rally reminds me of on a weekly basis), I also think the necessity for an 'upper' house doesn't really exist anymore. I see plenty of unicameral legislatures around the world, and they do just fine. Iceland, for example.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The Dakotas alone have 4 senate seats for 1.6 mil people vs California's 2 seats for 40 mil. Considering how much federal power the senate has, this is obviously laughably absurd.

It certainly is stupid.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 am 

Those horrible decisions keep coming...

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... ate-change

I guess these old farts think they will all be dead before society implodes and no one will able to eat them...

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:11 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Those horrible decisions keep coming...

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... ate-change

I guess these old farts think they will all be dead before society implodes and no one will able to eat them...

Jesus fucking Christ, I honestly wish some of these conservative judges would hurry up and croak already .

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:30 pm 

I shudder to think what would happen in the twisted world where Trump gets re-elected. If y'all think this shit is bad just you wait. I'm not ruling out any horrible possibilities these days...

BastardHead wrote:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:08 pm 

So...let me get this straight. They just ruled that the government cannot force big corporations from spewing pollutants into the lakes, rivers and atmosphere. But they CAN force a woman to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.

On this basis alone, this proves that there are some on that bench that have no qualifications whatsoever to rationally rule on anything, and clearly have no understanding of how the Constitution applies to a free and fair society. Because even a small child can see the irony here.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:26 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
So...let me get this straight. They just ruled that the government cannot force big corporations from spewing pollutants into the lakes, rivers and atmosphere. But they CAN force a woman to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.

On this basis alone, this proves that there are some on that bench that have no qualifications whatsoever to rationally rule on anything, and clearly have no understanding of how the Constitution applies to a free and fair society. Because even a small child can see the irony here.

Hahaha. Jesus Christ.

That really puts this into perspective.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:50 am 

That's the point, though: None of these people actually care about the Constitution or how it applies to a free and fair society, because they don't actually want society to be free and fair. They want to make sure that the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor, and what better way to do that than to ensure that poor people stay poor by being forced to carry fetuses they don't want and give birth to babies they still don't want. Fascism knows no hypocrisy or shame, because those concepts don't exist in fascism. Supreme Court justices are also the only federal judges allowed to engage in stocks trading, and I'm sure every single one of the conservative judges has their hands in the pockets of corporations that directly benefit from the continued pollution, depletion, and degradation of our natural resources.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:58 pm 

You're not supposed to call people idiots as you're trying to play the game of addition in politics and diplomacy, but not only are these candidates bumbling idiots, anyone who doesn't recognize these people as idiots are also idiots.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1542866096537145345

https://twitter.com/i/status/1542915789845561346

and then there is this:
https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-poll- ... -look-bad/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:27 am 

Between both videos, the only one that came off as anything more than a complete bumbling doofus was Liz Cheney, so naturally she's gonna get creamed in November and lose to one of these Trump-emulating dumbasses.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 69  Next