Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:33 am 

Slater922 wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:
If we're talking about more modern stuff, I've said it before but Volbeat are my guilty pleasure band. I know Poulsen's voice isn't for everyone and some of their songs can sound samey, but I can't help but enjoy the catchy hooks and infectious melodies that are in the vast majority of their songs. I also like how they tend to dabble in a lot of different music genres, ranging from metal, punk, rockabilly, psychobilly, hell even their pop rock songs are enjoyable to me.

What's the best Volbeat album for someone new to the band?

I'd check out their third album Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood, as it's a bit more accessible and has plenty of classics.

Agreed, Guitar Gangsters is pretty much the definitive Volbeat album and has the most balanced mixture of all of their influences.

From there, if you prefer the heavier, grittier side of the band check out the first two albums (especially Rock the Rebel, Metal the Devil, that album carries the rockabilly theme the most out of all of their albums). If you like the more lighthearted, rockish side of their sound then go with their newer stuff (though their latest album actually brings back some of the heaviness of the early material, albeit through a more modernized sound). Can’t really go wrong with any of them though IMO.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:59 am 

Outside of some of the amazing bands already named in this thread like 'Floyd, Queen etc I'm going to add: KISS.

Call them a gimmick or has-beens or whatever, I was introduced to them at a very young age through my dad and I always found their music to be simple but super fun and entertaining. I love all eras from their raw upstart, to their fucking awesome 80s run to Revenge and beyond. I'm not one of those people who constantly argue about (ex)band members or whatever, it's just super nostalgic and fun for me. I'd dare even say that their Creatures - Lick it Up - Animalize run would almost earn them a spot on the archives, but I bet that has been a discussion that has been had numerous times before ;)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:25 am 

Nine Inch Nails have an outstanding discography, with a couple of outright masterpieces and no bad album really.

David Bowie : Hugely creative and influential. He is a legend for good reasons.

Tool : Their hardcore fans might be annoying in their almost religious fanaticism, but you cannot fault the band for that. Great musicianship, great concepts and a sound that cannot be mistaken for someone else

The Smashing Pumpkins (their initial run anyway) Siamese Dreams and especially Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness are at the top of the 90's rock genre imo. Also, I think that Adore was very underrated.

Green Day (up to and including American Idiot) always a fun solid band
Fire walk with me"

Last edited by Waltz_of_Ghouls on Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:39 pm 

KISS were a lot of campy fun back in the late 1970s through the early Eric Carr era. Though, there was a period of a couple years in the early/mid 1980s where Kiss were sort of has-beens, and thought of as deeply uncool for some reason. And to this day there are still a lot of people who like to hate on them. I always kinda dug them though; they are a fun rock n' roll band with some decent, if a bit shallow, rock material.

Smashing Pumpkins were really good up until "Mellon Collie" which was still a good album, but a bit over done. They should have called it quits after that, and it's become pretty widely acknowledged that Billy Corgan is a complete jerk. Back in 1995 I would have still said they were the best mainstream rock band as I was a big fan of them at that point.

One of my favorite mainstream bands has always been the White Stripes. I love Jack White's simplistic but effective approach to guitar playing, and for a two-piece, they have some amazingly cool tunes- even "Seven Nation Army" which most would agree is ridiculously overplayed.

Tool, Green Day, Volbeat, have already been mentioned and I agree, these three bands deserve the label of best mainstream rock bands. And I could also name any number of classic rock bands from the 70s/80s, but most of these bands are either not around anymore, or if they are, are relegated to doing the "Tour the county fair circuit with one original member whose in their 70s'" kind of thing.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:39 am 

DanielG06 wrote:
Guns N Roses. Axl Rose might be a dick, Chinese Democracy might be ass, the new singles might be ass, and they're virtually a cover band now with 4 no-name members out of 7, but they'll always be one of my favourite bands and easily the first and most prominent one I grew up with. I'm seeing them this Friday and honestly, I'm excited but also nervous that Axl may come on stage 40 minutes late and blackout drunk.

Apologies mate, looks like we jinxed you as I hear there was a late start and early finish to this show. More an issue with the venue than the band though I understand.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:40 am 

Terri23 wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:
Silverchair put out some pretty decent grunge stuff on the first two albums, but even on Freak Show I think they were starting to show they were capable of more than that. The next three albums Daniel Johns really pushed the boundaries with his songwriting and produced some incredible music. To make Neon Ballroom at age 19 and Diorama at 22 I think is really impressive. It's a shame that his physical and mental health has suffered so much because of his early exposure to fame, because he really was something back then.

Daniel Johns has really become a fuck up. He's probably Australia's highest profile rock star, at least here in Oz. Over the last few years he's had a number of DUI's, the last one culminating with a head on collision. Thankfully, everyone was ok, but this shit has to stop. He immediately checked himself to rehab after this, and the cynic in me suggests it's to minimise any sentence that he will face. He's previously been fined and disqualified for DUI, but the behaviour keeps repeating itself. It's such a shame, as he is/was such a talented musician.

A little post necromancy here, but the court sessions finished on this today. He gets a ten month intensive correction order. Basically he gets to "receive treatment" for ten months. Not even a fine. No imprisonment.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2