Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:19 pm 

I,m playing ArmA 3 S.O.G praire fire singel player from steam workshop

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:38 am 

I'm late as always but i've finally finished my first playtrough of Elden Ring! 78 hours across several months

i started with the first greatsword i've managed to get my hands on, found the Sekiro-like flame ash very early and pretty much got trough the game with those. I wanted to go quality but the incantations looked so good that i couldn't resist putting points in faith. The black flame ones in particular were life saving against bosses and their crazy amounts of hp.

Highlights were a MGS sneak mission in Redmane castle super underleveled, the Morgott and the Radhan fight and the team up with the Tiche summon to bring down Malenia. The overworld is of course incredible: in the capital it was like you could freely roam the unreachable parts below Anor Londo.

The parts i enjoyed less are probably the final boss (as spectacular as annoying) the gargoyle enemies and the whole Fire Giant fight. Also it's just me or the story is way too cryptic even for Souls standard? In any case i'll be starting a new proper solo run soon

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:14 pm 

I do agree the story is a bit more cryptic than I was expecting. I've seen a few videos about it and there are a lot of things I missed. Even these videos claimed to have a lot of doubts about some subjects. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit more focused since it was a collab with George R. R. Martin. Please note every important character is either a G, an R or a M, his initials. It'd be cool if that was his only contribution to the lore :lol:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:00 am 

Don't get me started on the names: when Godfrey showed up i was was like "wait, wasn't this guy killed in the first cinematic?" :lol:

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:15 am 

I think Martin's influence can be seen in a fair bit of the narrative, considering the entire plot is based around a (divine) royal family fucking each other over for power.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:49 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
in the capital it was like you could freely roam the unreachable parts below Anor Londo.

I had the exact same thoughts :hyper: It's breath-taking.

Gravetemplar wrote:
I do agree the story is a bit more cryptic than I was expecting. I've seen a few videos about it and there are a lot of things I missed. Even these videos claimed to have a lot of doubts about some subjects. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit more focused since it was a collab with George R. R. Martin. Please note every important character is either a G, an R or a M, his initials. It'd be cool if that was his only contribution to the lore :lol:

GRRM denies that it was his doing. At first I didn't believe him, but an insider at FromSoft told me that From actually reworked a LOT of his lore Bible and characters like Mohg and Morgott weren't even GRRM's, soooo it might actually be From who did the G, R and M thing :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:30 pm 

Any Judgment fans here?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:35 pm 

So I finally decided to buy a RTX 3060 TI because a local store had a temporal offer. It was 350 $/EUR cheaper than during the pandemic.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 am 

Haven't posted here in a bit. I was playing Bloodborne but quit after making it pretty far. The world just didn't grab me and the Gothic theme was cool as first but got old pretty quick. I also found the combat annoying and the weapons were pretty lame. I just used the great axe the whole time because of that insane R2 power attack. However, over the past month I have been playing Dark Souls Remastered and just finished the game, DLC and all. I was able to progress steadily and beat every boss and discover most of the items. Hard game but fair game. I really enjoyed it. Now...that brings me to DS 2...

I started playing DS2 two days ago and holy shit. This game is absolutely over the top difficult. What I don't understand is how virtually every discussion I've read about the game is dominated by the opinion that it's the easiest Souls game? Maybe (I'm hoping) it gets easier as you play through, because the beginning of the game is pretty lame. Yes Elden Ring was hard at the beginning, and so was DS 1. But they weren't cheap. DS2 just feels like it was designed to be as cheap as possible. They changed the health meter, so when you die you respawn with a percentage of your health lost, capped at 50%. That's pretty fucking lame IMO. More annoying than that is the mob attacks. Even low level players at the start of the game can take out one or two guys at a time. But every room I enter and every new area I reach is filled with like 4, 5 or even 6 guys at a time? The attack patterns are so messed up, too. And when you get parried you fall on your ass, lose your lock on, and can't block while on the ground. So basically, depending on how many guys are around you, you're more than likely to die as soon as the animation to stand up finishes because the guys keep on swinging while you're down. Now, granted that doesn't happen all the time, but it doesn't really matter because when you're chased by 5 guys even a modest amount of quick rolling or blocking or dodging burns your stamina in like 5 seconds and you end up getting smoked. Jesus. Does this game get any better as you move forward? I'm actually really close to quitting and buying DS3. I was to like 2 but it's been difficult to enjoy thus far.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 am 

That's weird, I don't remember DS2 to be particularly difficult, and it has this annoying thing where the enemies disappear after killing them a fixed amount of times. I do remember the white knights to be pretty hard though. Be sure to play the Scholar of the First Sin edition. The hp cap can be avoided with a ring pretty early in the game if I remember correctly. It's definitely the worst game in the trilogy so don't feel bad for skipping it.

Bosses should be really easy until you reach the DLCs, specially if you've already played DS1 and Elden Ring.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:51 am 

Strange indeed, i remember too DS2 having the least difficult main storyline bosses, what are the ones giving you problems?
other than that i remember maces and rapiers being extremely strong in the beginning (and even in the lategame to be frank :lol:) maybe it helps!

I finally managed to solo Malenia, pure dex build. It was way too hard for me... I'm more comfortable with phase 2's chaos rather than phase 1: the idle animation makes me too impatient and i make so much mistakes, you really need nerves of steel. Waterfowl and the clone attack took so many deaths to figure out, and i'm still only about 75% confident.. :(

The consolation prize is that now i can mince stuff with her katana: i expected the weapon art to be way tuned down, but the first time i tried it i one shotted that Okina invader :lol:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:28 pm 

DS2 is getting a bit better. I beat the first boss, which allowed me to level up 3 or 4 times, and I've made decent progress. I just spent two hours trying to kill the NPC Armorer Dennis and finally got him with the seed "trick." I didn't know you could do that. Still hard but I'm starting to like it a lot more.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:04 pm 

Playing CrossCode like crazy these days, awesome game that brings me memories of Megaman Legends and Final Fantasy (Between others)
Also, project zomboid got addictive once i got the basics.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:21 pm 

Another installment of "gamers being gamers": recently, there's been an uproar about Riot Games banning "teabagging", a way of in-game taunting in which a player positions their character over a dead character and crouches up and down to simulate mouth-to-genital contact, from their esports competitions. This move came after someone likened teabagging to simulated sexual assault and claimed it could trigger people or force them to relive traumatizing memories, which is a notion that has legitimate merit. And of course, rather than empathize and give up an immature taunt that's not necessary to gameplay at all, gamers just doubled down and fought back, and all the concern trolls were brought of of the woodwork, saying shit like "this diminishes the real world impact of sexual assault" and "I'm a victim of sexual assault and I agree this ban is stupid". All around moronic behavior. Gaming seems to be right up there with metal in communities that seem to breed shitty people.

This video is on the gamers' side, unfortunately, but it summarizes the situation rather well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:56 pm 

Nuclear Blaze is on sale for 7.99 on steam. Made by one of the fellas who created Dead Cells. It's a super dope little platformer about putting out fires and saving cats. It'll never be as big as Dead Cells (obvs, deservedly not) but I do think it might be special. I had to alt tab out to drop a recommendation. I should have grabbed this way sooner tbh.

edit: I forgot to mention the secrets. The game is full of "you found a secret" areas. It is fun, everytime. Very similar to Hyper Light Drifter in that way. It just never gets old finding a false wall.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 am 

I actually liked Dark Souls 2 the most of the trilogy. The combat is different enough to stand out from the other two games and allows more combat styles which gives it its own unique feel.

Fefnir wrote:
Playing CrossCode like crazy these days, awesome game that brings me memories of Megaman Legends and Final Fantasy (Between others)
Also, project zomboid got addictive once i got the basics.

CrossCode is a great game. I also highly recommend it. I played Project Zomboid years ago but couldn't get into it, I'll have to try it again sometime.

Currently I'm playing Grandia after finishing Grandia II. I'm playing them in reverse since they are unrelated storywise. Both are turn based JRPGs that have magic/skill systems. Grandia II was great, highly recommend. Grandia I, originally being a Saturn game, does have some outdated interface (each character can only hold 12 items, and you will pick up a lot of items) and the magic system is stripped down while also being a little grindy at times. The story is standard fare so far (about halfway through the game), a boy goes on an adventure, stuff happens, then other stuff happens. Overall I still enjoy it. The characters have enough personality to stand out and the world has a unique charm to keep things interesting. Fans of mid to late 90s JRPGs should check it out.

As for Grandia II, the magic system got changed slightly, you get points after each fight and you use them to upgrade magic/skills/eggs. Everything else combat wise is the same. Story has more twists and turns towards the end, and the characters have more depth to them. I think Tales of Symphonia got some of its story influences from Grandia II. I see so many parallels in both stories.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:28 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
DS2 is getting a bit better. I beat the first boss, which allowed me to level up 3 or 4 times, and I've made decent progress. I just spent two hours trying to kill the NPC Armorer Dennis and finally got him with the seed "trick." I didn't know you could do that. Still hard but I'm starting to like it a lot more.

The thing to take in consideration the most in DS2 is that it's so much more slower than any other soulsborne game. This isn't a bad thing but I can understand that coming from DS1 and especially Bloodborne it can be quite the change.

There's also a fairly obscure stat that will not only increase rolling speed but also the speed with which you chug estus. Check below here if you want more info on that.

Spoiler: show
Most veterans usually dump levels in Adaptability (ADP) immediately to raise their Agility stat just to make it easier on themselves, and honestly I can't blame them.

There's also:

The covenant of champions you can join really early in Majula. Joining it will make your game tremendously more difficult first time around. You might have accidentally switched veryhard-mode on. Check around your health and stamina meters for a symbol that loosely resembles a lighthouse if you're not sure. If you have it and want to get rid of it to give yourself an easier time, visit the cat in Majula.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:26 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Haven't posted here in a bit. I was playing Bloodborne but quit after making it pretty far. The world just didn't grab me and the Gothic theme was cool as first but got old pretty quick. I also found the combat annoying and the weapons were pretty lame. I just used the great axe the whole time because of that insane R2 power attack. However, over the past month I have been playing Dark Souls Remastered and just finished the game, DLC and all. I was able to progress steadily and beat every boss and discover most of the items. Hard game but fair game. I really enjoyed it. Now...that brings me to DS 2...

I started playing DS2 two days ago and holy shit. This game is absolutely over the top difficult. What I don't understand is how virtually every discussion I've read about the game is dominated by the opinion that it's the easiest Souls game? Maybe (I'm hoping) it gets easier as you play through, because the beginning of the game is pretty lame. Yes Elden Ring was hard at the beginning, and so was DS 1. But they weren't cheap. DS2 just feels like it was designed to be as cheap as possible. They changed the health meter, so when you die you respawn with a percentage of your health lost, capped at 50%. That's pretty fucking lame IMO. More annoying than that is the mob attacks. Even low level players at the start of the game can take out one or two guys at a time. But every room I enter and every new area I reach is filled with like 4, 5 or even 6 guys at a time? The attack patterns are so messed up, too. And when you get parried you fall on your ass, lose your lock on, and can't block while on the ground. So basically, depending on how many guys are around you, you're more than likely to die as soon as the animation to stand up finishes because the guys keep on swinging while you're down. Now, granted that doesn't happen all the time, but it doesn't really matter because when you're chased by 5 guys even a modest amount of quick rolling or blocking or dodging burns your stamina in like 5 seconds and you end up getting smoked. Jesus. Does this game get any better as you move forward? I'm actually really close to quitting and buying DS3. I was to like 2 but it's been difficult to enjoy thus far.

The multiple responses you're getting saying it's "weird" that you struggled with Dark Souls 2 (or any Dark Souls game) are the only thing I find weird.

It's not like the game just walks you to the ring that eliminates you starting off with half your health bar when you die. It's hidden like everything else in these games.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:21 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
The multiple responses you're getting saying it's "weird" that you struggled with Dark Souls 2 (or any Dark Souls game) are the only thing I find weird.

This lol. Saying "Bosses should be really easy until you reach the DLCs" to someone who's just made a long post about how hard they're finding DS2 is the strangest and worst "advice" you can give. It's a Dark Souls game. It's hard.

I fucking love DS2. I'd really recommend sticking with it because it has some of the coolest and most varied areas in the series, and the DLCs are top-tier. Sure, a lot of the bosses aren't among FromSoft's most memorable, but after playing it three times I can now say I even prefer it to DS1, and going into DS3 straight afterwards will be an amazing experience. Also, yeah, the dude who recommended you look into Adaptability/Agility up a few posts is spot-on -- makes a very big difference. Also worth making sure you haven't accidentally joined the Company of Champions. I did that once and was so confused as to why I hit a brick fucking wall in terms of difficulty for a good while.

Then again, if you didn't like Bloodborne then I don't even know :lol:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:12 pm 

Razakel wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

This lol. Saying "Bosses should be really easy until you reach the DLCs" to someone who's just made a long post about how hard they're finding DS2 is the strangest and worst "advice" you can give. It's a Dark Souls game. It's hard.

Advice? What advice? I didn't give any advice, just my personal opinion that this was much easier than the rest of their games. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on such topics? Some people said Elden Ring was easy, I found some parts of it pretty difficult but you won't see me mad complaining about it like somehow other opinions invalidate my own. He was the one who brought up the topic too. I just confirmed what he already said, I found the game easy compared to other From Soft games.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:31 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

The thing to take in consideration the most in DS2 is that it's so much more slower than any other soulsborne game. This isn't a bad thing but I can understand that coming from DS1 and especially Bloodborne it can be quite the change.

There's also a fairly obscure stat that will not only increase rolling speed but also the speed with which you chug estus. Check below here if you want more info on that.

Most veterans usually dump levels in Adaptability (ADP) immediately to raise their Agility stat just to make it easier on themselves, and honestly I can't blame them.

There's also:

The covenant of champions you can join really early in Majula. Joining it will make your game tremendously more difficult first time around. You might have accidentally switched veryhard-mode on. Check around your health and stamina meters for a symbol that loosely resembles a lighthouse if you're not sure. If you have it and want to get rid of it to give yourself an easier time, visit the cat in Majula.

Thanks for that, man. Yeah, I read about the ADP stat that speeds up estus intake and rolling speeds. Problem with that is the same issue most players have - trying to decide which stats to focus on. I started as a warrior and have been focusing on STR, VGR and END. I go back and forth on ADP and VIT - I need the VIT so I can carry more stuff but need the ADP for the previously stated reasons. Also, END in this game started as a joke and it's not getting better. Even with the stamina ring, I run out after like 4 swings with a common straight sword. I don't remember DS1 or Elden Ring being like that. I'm lvl 49 with the following: VGR 16, END 13, STR 28, DEX 14, ADP 9. Am I doing this right? Even after Elden Ring and DS1, I'm still trying to figure out how to correctly build characters. Thanks for the reply.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:39 am 

Razakel wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I fucking love DS2. I'd really recommend sticking with it because it has some of the coolest and most varied areas in the series, and the DLCs are top-tier. Sure, a lot of the bosses aren't among FromSoft's most memorable, but after playing it three times I can now say I even prefer it to DS1, and going into DS3 straight afterwards will be an amazing experience. Also, yeah, the dude who recommended you look into Adaptability/Agility up a few posts is spot-on -- makes a very big difference. Also worth making sure you haven't accidentally joined the Company of Champions. I did that once and was so confused as to why I hit a brick fucking wall in terms of difficulty for a good while.

Then again, if you didn't like Bloodborne then I don't even know :lol:

Yeah, man. I'm really starting to like the game a lot. It looks great on ps5 and I think it's playing at 120fps? I played DS Remastered on the Switch, so it was a bit sluggish at times though certainly playable. But anyway, I beat Dragonrider (I think that was his name) and got the ring of binding. I am currently getting my ass handed to me in No Man's Wharf. It's driving me crazy, but I keep coming back for more haha. And thanks. I'll definitely look into some farming to increase my ADP. Is there any recommended cap you'd suggest? I feel like I need to focus on other stats more.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:08 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Ravenlord266 wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

There's also:

Thanks for that, man. Yeah, I read about the ADP stat that speeds up estus intake and rolling speeds. Problem with that is the same issue most players have - trying to decide which stats to focus on. I started as a warrior and have been focusing on STR, VGR and END. I go back and forth on ADP and VIT - I need the VIT so I can carry more stuff but need the ADP for the previously stated reasons. Also, END in this game started as a joke and it's not getting better. Even with the stamina ring, I run out after like 4 swings with a common straight sword. I don't remember DS1 or Elden Ring being like that. I'm lvl 49 with the following: VGR 16, END 13, STR 28, DEX 14, ADP 9. Am I doing this right? Even after Elden Ring and DS1, I'm still trying to figure out how to correctly build characters. Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome! Yeah the stamina thing is part of the fact it's just pretty damn slow. It's a thing I like about the game honestly, it honestly feels like you're given way insight into what's happening without going to fast and wondering 'what the hell took all my HP in 0,3 seconds?' ADP is viable up to a certain point. Have a look at how much of the agility stat it raising and go from there. 99 agility is already very doable but I think most players agree 105 is the sweet spot. After 110 you'll get very diminishing returns.

Your stats looks fine, can't really go too wrong with them if you have a general idea what they do. If you wanna go full strong lad than VGR, END and STR will be your main go to stats. Don't worry too much about being able be agile in the fattest of armors, I'd suggest putting VIT on the backburner and put a few levels into ADP. By the way, to combat the somewhat slower pace of the game DS2 is really generous with level ups. Don't be alarmed if you find yourself being able to advance 5-10 levels at a time sometimes. If you just got out some tricky stuff and have a load of souls to spare, go ahead and trade them in for some sweet sweet stats.

If the Wharf is kicking your ass a lot (I don't blame you, it's one of the more annoying spots in the game) there are several other paths you can go depending on if you already cleared some other stuff or have certain items. Majula is full of secrets ;)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:56 am 

Awesome, thanks again!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:19 pm 

Dunno why it's taken me so long to play Breath of Fire, but it's a pretty cool, old-school Final Fantasy-esque RPG.

Only thing that bothers me is the fact that you have to kill the bosses twice to defeat them, the Gremlin boss was especially tough because of this.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:19 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Dunno why it's taken me so long to play Breath of Fire, but it's a pretty cool, old-school Final Fantasy-esque RPG.

Only thing that bothers me is the fact that you have to kill the bosses twice to defeat them, the Gremlin boss was especially tough because of this.

Those were awesome games. Way less grinding than the old FF games as well. Capcom should do something with that franchise again instead of letting it disappear.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:16 pm 

I just got myself a PS5 yesterday. Broke it in with Stray; I'm loving it so far!

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:22 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

Those were awesome games. Way less grinding than the old FF games as well. Capcom should do something with that franchise again instead of letting it disappear.

I mean, there's a reason Breath of Fire kinda petered out while Final Fantasy became a mega-franchise.

Most non-Square, non-Shin Megami Tensei JRPGs are just so intensely dull and generic in their story and characters that it borders on intentional. Like, seriously, there's no way that the Tales of Whatever-ia franchise is that painfully unimaginative by accident. It has to be intentional.

Breath of Fire, Ys, Tales of X, Valkyria Chronicles--hell, even Square is guilty with lukewarm shit like the Mana series, Star Ocean, and Octopath/Triangle--all mind-numbingly dull and pedestrian in their narratives and characters, to the point where it's physically painful.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:00 pm 

Some speculation based on the new The Lords of the Fallen trailer:

- The world has an actual background this time; apparently, humans defeated this world's Sauron/Satan equivalent. Sadly, the corpse of a god will not remain dead for long, and so those who defeated Mega Diablo began to guard its gigantic, country-sized corpse. However, a long, long time later, the fallen Ultra Satan's influence begins to seep back into the world and cause, well, the apocalypse.
- The protagonist is nameless and faceless, unlike the supremely generic bald-face beardface what protagonized the previous game. The armour they use is also a lot more practical and much less 2nd rate Warhammer rip-off, while still being stylish and easily belonging to a metal album cover.
- Speaking of which, art direction looks pretty fucking metal, and I mean that in more ways than one. Besides the obvious like demonic swordsmen and three-headed zombie dragons, the aesthetics of this are very reminiscent of something from the Heavy Metal Magazine days, stuff like Requiem: Vampire Knight and the like (although thankfully more tasteful). It has a much, much better visual identity than its predecessor, going off this.
- Protagonist is equipped with a lamp, which is used to, quite literally, extract the souls of enemies. Or so it seems. Also seems to tie into the death mechanics, though it's not quite clear to me how. Portable respawn point? Who knows.
- I mean, it's a fairly overplayed song, but I am thankful for whoever chose Danzig for this trailer. I doubt that kind of music will feature in the game but it was fun.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:51 am 

I just watched that Lords of the Fallen trailer and I have no idea what just happened.

Apparently, people are real obsessed with the guy that did the voiceover for some reason.

Anyway, is this a Diablo clone? A Dark Souls style game? What is it? This is set in the Lord of the Rings universe?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:33 pm 

It's a reboot of a game that came out some years ago, Lords of the Fallen, and it's a Soulslike, yeah. Also, the guy who did the voice over played a popular character in the most recent season of Stranger Things, so there's that.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:50 pm 

That trailer looks super cool. I enjoyed the first Lords of the Fallen Game. Sure, it was a Dark Souls clone, but one of the good ones.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:52 pm 

I honest-to-goodness thought the cheesy voiceover might've been That Fucking Rhapsody Guy. I did 3 minutes of research and was disappointed to find out that it wasn't.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:24 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I mean, there's a reason Breath of Fire kinda petered out while Final Fantasy became a mega-franchise.

Most non-Square, non-Shin Megami Tensei JRPGs are just so intensely dull and generic in their story and characters that it borders on intentional. Like, seriously, there's no way that the Tales of Whatever-ia franchise is that painfully unimaginative by accident. It has to be intentional.

Breath of Fire, Ys, Tales of X, Valkyria Chronicles--hell, even Square is guilty with lukewarm shit like the Mana series, Star Ocean, and Octopath/Triangle--all mind-numbingly dull and pedestrian in their narratives and characters, to the point where it's physically painful.

What on Earth are you babbling about.
- Breath of Fire III and IV have better stories than most Final Fantasies
- Ditto for Triangle Strategy
- Tales of X is indeed excessively lame but they haven't "petered out", they're still making these games almost every other year
- Ys is also still going
- "Mind-numbingly dull and pedestrian in their narratives and characters" describe modern Final Fantasy to a T. It being a mega franchise doesn't change this.

The reason Capcom abandoned BoF isn't because it was generic, it was because it didn't make them a lot of money. Meanwhile generic trash like Tales of and FF DO make money and that's why their respective companies keep churning them out.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:12 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

What on Earth are you babbling about.
- Breath of Fire III and IV have better stories than most Final Fantasies
- Ditto for Triangle Strategy
- Tales of X is indeed excessively lame but they haven't "petered out", they're still making these games almost every other year
- Ys is also still going
- "Mind-numbingly dull and pedestrian in their narratives and characters" describe modern Final Fantasy to a T. It being a mega franchise doesn't change this.

The reason Capcom abandoned BoF isn't because it was generic, it was because it didn't make them a lot of money. Meanwhile generic trash like Tales of and FF DO make money and that's why their respective companies keep churning them out.

BoF 3 and 4 are two of the best JRPGs ever made. Triangle Strategy I cannot even put down, I am trying to complete it on hard using Lionel as the main tank and the results are interesting too say the least.
- I just got SMTV yesterday! It's my first foray into any of the SMT / Persona games, and I can't even comprehend how I missed out for so long - hooked is not even close to the correct term! It does everything I love in an RPG (combat style similar to Octopath Traveler with finding weaknesses and turn system, massive roster like Suikoden combined with the fusion/collecting approach of Pokémon, insanely hard, and elements of FE:3H.). Plus it's as addictive as hell trying to find and figure out what all the damned demons look like.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:05 am 

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I've re-tried the remake and found it really jarring to see modern graphics with PSone-era dialogue and attitude. Barrett may look like a realistic and cool character now, but god fucking damn is he annoying and his dialogue is super cringe. It's not natural at all. Also, Jessie's breastplate is, hum, well it's really a breastplate, isn'it? I don't think it was necessary to sex her up like that. Even Cloud comes off as try hard.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:21 am 

I finished Stray last night. It quickly became a favorite - it's definitely a gem. A lot of fun, with some great creepy visuals and a sort of depressing theme.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:37 am 

Recently finished Fae Tactics, which is a fantastic SRPG (by the devs of Valdis Story, so they are good at making both Metroidvanias and tactical RPGs now!), and Call of Cthulhu, which was... a decent detective/horror adventure game.

Started Live a Live now and I completed the Imperial China chapter, but it's... kinda boring and combat is brain-dead easy. I hear every chapter is different though so I'm not giving up but I hope it does get better. At least the visuals and soundtrack are ace.

pyratebastard wrote:
I finished Stray last night. It quickly became a favorite - it's definitely a gem. A lot of fun, with some great creepy visuals and a sort of depressing theme.

Nice, Stray is awesome!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:44 am 

Using my SNES Online subscription to try out some games I've never tried before:

- Earth Defense Force is a solid SHMUP, but fuck the final boss and his lightspeed boogers
- Still can't get the hang of Super Tennis, never been good at sports games but it seems to be very well received.
- Pilotwings is surprisingly enjoyable, I was kinda skeptical of how much fun a flight simulator could be but Nintendo pulls it off well.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 am 

Samoroth wrote:
Any Judgment fans here?

Yes, I'm a massive fan of the Yakuza and Judgment video game series. I'm grateful that one of my friends introduced me to it since I'm still relatively new to the video game universe. Sure, I've played a few GameBoy or computer games as a child or young teenager but I almost didn't play anything in my late teenage years and early twenties. I guess that isn't too surprising in hindsight since I was doing my bachelor program, had long trainings every year, had two jobs, focused on writing for the university newspaper, had different radio shows on the university channel, was taking different language classes and was making new friends in new environments. Since I have found one permanent job and have settled into my current environment, I have been playing quite a few great games in the past few years. The Yakuza and Judgment video game series are among my very favourites. They are so diverse, energetic and entertaining! The only one of these series that I haven't tracked down and played yet is Yakuza Kiwami II.

I also like graphic adventure games like Life Is Strange or Road 96, adventure games in general like Uncharted and Tomb Raider and the occasional horror video game like Amnesia and Until Dawn.

If anyone could recommend similar games on PS4 that I might have missed out on, don't hesitate to post a suggestion. Thanks!

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934 ... 940  Next