Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:39 am 

https://www.wcax.com/2022/06/29/rb-hitm ... entencing/

He's finally getting what he deserves. It's about time!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:48 am 

Finally, that monster is put behind bars for good! :thumbsup:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm 

yeah...FUCK that guy. Sleazy piece of shit. And if I ever hear that "I believe I can Fly" song again, it will be too soon."

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:55 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
yeah...FUCK that guy. Sleazy piece of shit. And if I ever hear that "I believe I can Fly" song again, it will be too soon."
Considering he has become a type of bird that cannot fly, the fact that it is the lyric he is most associated with is a bit of an amusing irony.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:05 pm 

Good, justice for once. Hope the bastard rots.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:04 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:

I don't believe you will. Radio stations who played his music now deem him persona non grata because of his crimes.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:14 am 

Radio stations and sporting events still play Gary Glitter.
Obliteration

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:18 am 

FirebathDan wrote:

I couldn't tell you the last time I heard Rock and Roll Part II on a radio station, or at a sporting event. It's been at least a decade. Probably longer.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:23 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

I couldn't tell you the last time I heard Rock and Roll Part II on a radio station, or at a sporting event. It's been at least a decade. Probably longer.

I’ve absolutely heard it during March Madness this year. I’ve heard it recently too, it was either during PFL MMA, during the World Cup qualifiers, or during some recent UEFA matches. Can’t quite place it, but I definitely remember remarking in disgust, and I make mention of it to my SO every time I hear it.
Obliteration

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:35 am 

Rock and Roll Part 2 was prominently featured in the stairway dance scene in Joker, a scene that pretty much immediately become an iconic, classic movie scene, so it is still around and is still used. I think it's easier for people to excuse or explain away the use of that song because Gary Glitter is a relic of another time who is sequestered away in prison on an island several miles off the coast of south England and has been for years, the only people truly remembering him as anything other than a child rapist being either elderly, infirm, or dead (plus Rock and Roll Part 2 is the only song of his used in pop culture anymore, and even then it's just that opening guitar riff that's used, meaning you never have to hear his voice on anything or even really say that it's a song made by him in the first place). R. Kelly, on the other hand, was a massive, worldwide sensation in the extremely recent past; One must not forget that Surviving R. Kelly, the docuseries which really kickstarted his permanent fall from grace and now essentially life sentence with even more convictions and sentences to come, only just aired on TV all of three and a half years ago. Mute R. Kelly, the social media movement that reinvigorated public disdain for Kelly and led to the docuseries being made in the first place, only happened all of five years ago. It took 20+ years of American culture changing to actually somewhat give a fuck about victims of sex crimes for Kelly to be brought to justice, but that's still multiple decades of him getting away with unspeakably awful things because society as a whole really didn't care all that much about what he was doing.

On that note, we must also not leave out a major reason WHY society didn't really care about Kelly's crimes until decades later, other than the fact that he was making a whole bunch of people a whole bunch of money: Kelly was a black man doing terrible things to black girls. If Kelly had been grooming, raping, and making videos pissing on white girls, he would have been thrown in prison ages ago. The insane part of that sentence is that he was ALSO doing it to white girls as well as black girls, but the crimes he committed upon black girls were the ones that got revealed and publicized. In one of the episodes of either Surviving R. Kelly or its sequel series, I don't remember which off the top of my head, someone in Kelly's camp that was interviewed for it claimed that they came across one of Kelly's tapes of his various sexual crimes. In the tape was not black girls, but white girls being violated, and the interviewee said they knew that if that tape had been the one to get out that Kelly would have been immediately finished. Kelly sexually assaulted all kinds of girls of all kinds of backgrounds, but because the crimes that were publicized were the ones he did to black girls, his handlers, agents, record label execs, and society looked away and let him keep doing it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:40 am 

Subrick wrote:
Rock and Roll Part 2 was prominently featured in the stairway dance scene in Joker

Thank you, this is what I was struggling to recall, to place where I most recently heard it.

Also, my point in even bringing up Gary Glitter is that I just don’t think “I Believe I Can Fly” has reached an endpoint in the pop culture milieu. As gross as that may seem.
Obliteration

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:58 am 

Then the scene in Joker is the last time I heard it. I have zero memory of that.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 pm 

Bury him under the prison

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:31 pm 

Yeah... that tends to happen to people who piss on kids. Don't piss on kids, guys.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:05 am 

Moly fzcking cow. And he is still 4M strong on Spotify.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:26 pm 

Metal bands and individual artists still have massive fandoms amongst metalheads for deplorable things they've done, often less severe in nature than serial child rape. Michael Jackson molested children and he's basically never going away. R. Kelly will still be famous and have his actions excused away by a portion of his fanbase regardless of his crimes, and that excusing away of his crimes by fans is a major reason why he continued to stay free and able to sexually assault children for decades after he was first discovered to be a diddler.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:08 pm 

Same phenomenon with the former president of the U.S, and, well, any number of despotic world leaders (current and former.)

No matter how blatantly heinously awful they are as people, no matter how destructive or detrimental their policies may be, no matter how many times their flagrant abuses of power are documented...there are still going to be people who support them.

On that note, how many Iced Earth fans are still around?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:08 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

Wait, they still exist?

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:46 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Michael Jackson molested children and he's basically never going away.

I don't believe that one. The 2019 doco seemed like a bullshit cash grab. There was plenty of dirt unearthed about one of the guys accusing him in it. Yet really no evidence ever found against Jackson.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:03 am 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Good, justice for once. Hope the bastard rots.

Just this. Nothing more.

Currently Reading: Eragon | Currently Playing: Elden Ring

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:18 am 

"I gave ya'll 'Trapped In The Closet', 'Feelin' On Yo Booty', 'Age Ain't Nothing But A Number'... and so many other clues!"

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:49 am 

Smalley wrote:

I love how well this whole SNL skit aged. Still gave me laughs after 3 years :lol:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:33 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Wait, they still exist?

They're pretty quiet these days but still around to some degree.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Rock and Roll Part 2 was prominently featured in the stairway dance scene in Joker, a scene that pretty much immediately become an iconic, classic movie scene, so it is still around and is still used. I think it's easier for people to excuse or explain away the use of that song because Gary Glitter is a relic of another time who is sequestered away in prison on an island several miles off the coast of south England and has been for years, the only people truly remembering him as anything other than a child rapist being either elderly, infirm, or dead (plus Rock and Roll Part 2 is the only song of his used in pop culture anymore, and even then it's just that opening guitar riff that's used, meaning you never have to hear his voice on anything or even really say that it's a song made by him in the first place). R. Kelly, on the other hand, was a massive, worldwide sensation in the extremely recent past; One must not forget that Surviving R. Kelly, the docuseries which really kickstarted his permanent fall from grace and now essentially life sentence with even more convictions and sentences to come, only just aired on TV all of three and a half years ago. Mute R. Kelly, the social media movement that reinvigorated public disdain for Kelly and led to the docuseries being made in the first place, only happened all of five years ago. It took 20+ years of American culture changing to actually somewhat give a fuck about victims of sex crimes for Kelly to be brought to justice, but that's still multiple decades of him getting away with unspeakably awful things because society as a whole really didn't care all that much about what he was doing.

On that note, we must also not leave out a major reason WHY society didn't really care about Kelly's crimes until decades later, other than the fact that he was making a whole bunch of people a whole bunch of money: Kelly was a black man doing terrible things to black girls. If Kelly had been grooming, raping, and making videos pissing on white girls, he would have been thrown in prison ages ago. The insane part of that sentence is that he was ALSO doing it to white girls as well as black girls, but the crimes he committed upon black girls were the ones that got revealed and publicized. In one of the episodes of either Surviving R. Kelly or its sequel series, I don't remember which off the top of my head, someone in Kelly's camp that was interviewed for it claimed that they came across one of Kelly's tapes of his various sexual crimes. In the tape was not black girls, but white girls being violated, and the interviewee said they knew that if that tape had been the one to get out that Kelly would have been immediately finished. Kelly sexually assaulted all kinds of girls of all kinds of backgrounds, but because the crimes that were publicized were the ones he did to black girls, his handlers, agents, record label execs, and society looked away and let him keep doing it.

I remember there was a bit of a backlash about Joker at first due to the use of "Rock and Roll Part 2" in it, but it was revealed that Gary Glitter had actually sold the rights to his music before he was initially imprisoned, therefore he doesn't make a penny off of it being used in the movie.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:14 am 

I wonder how Elvis would be treated in todays climate? Pretty sure his relationship with Priscilla started when she was 14...

Not to mention so many rock stars of the 60's-70's that had some questionable relationships...

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:31 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
I wonder how Elvis would be treated in todays climate? Pretty sure his relationship with Priscilla started when she was 14...

Not to mention so many rock stars of the 60's-70's that had some questionable relationships...

Didn't Steven Tyler literally adopt a teenager so he could do drugs and have sex with her on tour?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:08 am 

Space_alligator wrote:

David Bowie and Jimmy Page are also statutory rapists.

That said, this is some sketchy whataboutism, because what R. Kelly was doing goes wayyyy beyond that. He was trafficking, enslaving, torturing and violently raping numerous young women and girls, FFS.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic