Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:10 pm 

Kari Lake was right when she said she felt she was in an SNL spoof, she just didn't have the self-awareness to realize she was reading off the same script they were.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:58 pm 

For a little bit of levity right now, I love that the Wikipedia page for Dinesh D'Souza's new conspiracy rag is a detailed essay detailing every way the movie lies, misleads the viewer, and makes shit up with heavy citations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Mules

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:10 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
You folks using the phrase "women's rights" when talking about this situation is a little problematic and excluding of trans people, not gonna lie.

Just because it affects people who aren't women doesn't not make it primarily a women's rights issue. Same re: domestic violence, sexual violence, exploitation in sectors dominated by women, etc. There's nothing problematic about saying this whatsoever.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:57 am 

If it's not problematic, it's at the very least outdated.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:33 pm 

Nope, not that either. Patriarchy is unfortunately still very real. It is outdated if you think "women's rights" is a term that necessarily excludes other groups by virtue of not mentioning them, however. Guess which strand of "feminist" would agree with you on that.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Just because it affects people who aren't women doesn't not make it primarily a women's rights issue. Same re: domestic violence, sexual violence, exploitation in sectors dominated by women, etc. There's nothing problematic about saying this whatsoever.

Sepulchrave wrote:
Nope, not that either. Patriarchy is unfortunately still very real. It is outdated if you think "women's rights" is a term that necessarily excludes other groups by virtue of not mentioning them, however. Guess which strand of "feminist" would agree with you on that.

fuck off, TERF.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:07 pm 

I understand the necessity of making sure everyone uses terms appropriately, inclusively and accurately but arguing about it just further divides people who may very well ultimately have a similar, if not the same goal...

People who enact and support these laws that suppress reproductive/women's rights want us to argue because it distracts us from who the real enemy is, quite frankly

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I understand the necessity of making sure everyone uses terms appropriately, inclusively and accurately but arguing about it just further divides people who may very well ultimately have a similar, if not the same goal...

People who enact and support these laws that suppress reproductive/women's rights want us to argue because it distracts us from who the real enemy is, quite frankly

You could comment against the transphobic dogwhistling, but you instead chose to speak out to try to quiet any noise made about it. Spare us your condescension and your bizarre black-and-white simplemindedness. You're not noble for holding hands with TERFs.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:27 pm 

Holding hands with ...?

What on earth are you even talking about? Not once did I agree with this dude or even talk about excluding transgender women.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:18 pm 

There might be some confusion going on here... I don't see anyone saying trans women aren't women, only that reproductive rights don't affect trans women... but they do affect trans men. The point was that referring to reproductive rights as "women's rights" excludes those trans men, so it's better to use more inclusive language. Which is true, however, it's also true that the vast majority of people affected by this are women and not men, so beyond a gentle reminder that trans men are also affected, I don't think think hostile finger-wagging is really warranted here. :scratch: Like someone else said, sexual assault also affects men, but it's often framed as a women's issues because (outside of maybe prisons) it disproportionately affects women.

So, chill out everyone, we're all on the same side, yeah?

Unless someone actually thinks that trans men aren't men in which case, yeah, fuck off TERF indeed. But fortunately I haven't seen anyone say that...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:42 pm 

It felt very strange to me how Sepulchrave's sole contribution to this discussion was to respond to a 10 day or so old post from a few pages back solely to take some issue with what Lord_Of_Diamonds had very mildly brought up in passing. I'd be happier to be mistaken about everything, but between those particulars and the weird and vague commentary that was included, I'm not really feeling very good about it.

edit: a brief glance at their post history reveals nothing very surprising about their post quality, so I'm going to stick to my telling them to fuck off and my being unimpressed with someone else buying or otherwise posting to excuse their bullshit.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 am 

Point is, situation is bad for all people with... uteruses? Uterii? I don't mean to make light of something serious, but I have just realized that I have no real idea of how to pluralize that word.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:48 am 

Well, like I said initially, "reproductive rights" is a convenient phrase and describes the situation at hand quite well. And it's more inclusive. I'm on the same page with Morrigan in that I want to think that no one has ill intentions or closeted transphobia. I don't think anyone here is using the phrase "women's rights" in this context with exclusive intent, as we all seem to be on the same page. If anything, I'm the one people should be wagging fingers at because I brought it up in the first place and might have sounded a little nitpicky for doing so.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:02 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Well, like I said initially, "reproductive rights" is a convenient phrase and describes the situation at hand quite well. And it's more inclusive. I'm on the same page with Morrigan in that I want to think that no one has ill intentions or closeted transphobia. I don't think anyone here is using the phrase "women's rights" in this context with exclusive intent, as we all seem to be on the same page. If anything, I'm the one people should be wagging fingers at because I brought it up in the first place and might have sounded a little nitpicky for doing so.

This is part of what I mean - you bringing it up happened a while back and was handled very pleasantly and maturely for what brief exchanges happened. It hadn't continued being a vocal point of contention and conversation resumed. But Sepulchrave arrived over a week later and For Reasons decided to post here just to go "nah" and take issue with your very simple and appropriate request to use more inclusive and relevant language, and also decided to be pretty vague and weird about it. I don't parse that as a normal thing that a normal person would decide to start up posting about after reading the latest happenings in this thread, for lack of a better way to put it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:10 am 

Yeah, you have a point. Still, I like to look for good in people sometimes. It's a bit of a fatal flaw of mine.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 am 

I am not a TERF. I wanted to point out that omitting the "women's rights" aspect of it is in fact exactly what TERFs want, to make the word into a dirty word for everyone but them. I admit I was looking back through this thread, but I felt it necessary to point out that it does no one good to point out problematic words when there weren't any. The fact that trans people are also affected by a patriarchal strategy with the intention to control women's bodies doesn't change the fact of the intention. It's like All Lives Matter; yes it's true that black people in the US aren't the only group who are routinely suffering from police brutality, but the implication behind saying All Lives Matter is that the term Black Lives Matter is an exclusive one with respect to other groups when it isn't, and neglects that a huge part of the issue is anti-black systemic racism. Obviously All Lives Matter has a lot more hateful intent behind it but it's still the same kind of assumption, IMO. I wouldn't have responded at all if everyone went with "reproductive rights" from the get-go, it's a pretty uncontroversial term, I was responding more specifically to LoD's point that "women's rights" is a problematic one.

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:59 am 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:

Sepulchrave wrote:

fuck off, TERF.

What the hell is a "terf"?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:11 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

TERF = trans-exclusionary radical feminist, commonly used for anti-trans people in general.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 am 

matras wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

TERF = trans-exclusionary radical feminist, commonly used for anti-trans people in general.

I think it's mostly used for people who claim to be strongly feminist, but specifically exclude trans people because they're not (to their eyes) "truly" women and thus women issues don't affect trans women (or in this case, trans men who still have uteruses and might need an abortion). Example: JK Rowling is a terf.

I've also seen it sued to describe people who are strongly pro-gay, but also exclude trans for whatever reason.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:59 am 

Morrigan wrote:
So, chill out everyone, we're all on the same side, yeah?
Annnddddd...here we have it. The left would rather argue semantics and details than get and hold power. They'd rather be RIGHT and annoy the fuck out of everyone else, alienating everyone else, than get and hold power for actual change. The shit is absurd. It doesn't matter if your heart and spirit is in the right place. You have to get every daily-changing word exactly right, in the perfect context, or you'll get a lashing. Like rabid dogs in a cage, and even when you open the door, they're so distracted with nipping at each other that they don't realize freedom is two steps away. It not only lacks utility, but it is embarrassing on top of it.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:54 am 

I agree with ZenoMarx, and I think to carry out this particular discussion isn't necessary.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:57 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
I am not a TERF. I wanted to point out that omitting the "women's rights" aspect of it is in fact exactly what TERFs want, to make the word into a dirty word for everyone but them. I admit I was looking back through this thread, but I felt it necessary to point out that it does no one good to point out problematic words when there weren't any. The fact that trans people are also affected by a patriarchal strategy with the intention to control women's bodies doesn't change the fact of the intention. It's like All Lives Matter; yes it's true that black people in the US aren't the only group who are routinely suffering from police brutality, but the implication behind saying All Lives Matter is that the term Black Lives Matter is an exclusive one with respect to other groups when it isn't, and neglects that a huge part of the issue is anti-black systemic racism. Obviously All Lives Matter has a lot more hateful intent behind it but it's still the same kind of assumption, IMO. I wouldn't have responded at all if everyone went with "reproductive rights" from the get-go, it's a pretty uncontroversial term, I was responding more specifically to LoD's point that "women's rights" is a problematic one.

To be honest it's... not really like All Lives Matter at all, because while trans men are men, they are not exactly upholders of the patriarchal status quo :P they are very clearly a marginalized and vulnerable group. So invoking "patriarchy" here is just kind of a non-sequitur. Invoking white people being brutalized by cops in a BLM discussion is not at all like invoking trans men in abortion discussion so I can see why you got some weird side-eye even if you are not transphobic.

Anyway, let us PLEASE move on from this.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:17 pm 

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/1110061446/boris-johnson-resigns-uk-prime-minister

It appears Boris Johnson has resigned as the prime minister of the United Kingdom.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:22 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/1110061446/boris-johnson-resigns-uk-prime-minister

It appears Boris Johnson has resigned as the prime minister of the United Kingdom.

:getout:

:headbang:

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:36 pm 

Surprised nobody is talking about this yet. Trump's "compound" at Mar A Lago has been no knock entry invaded by the FBI. Pretty big deal. It's about time.
FOX news is vomiting all over themselves about Hillary's emails and Hunter Biden. It's quite glorious to watch this.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:09 am 

I won't be satisfied until he's being led away in cuffs. Plain and simple. This is a good thing but I am wondering what's come of it ultimately

BastardHead wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:00 am 

It's safe to say they are not taking it well. Not. Taking. It. Well. At all.

Which for now is hilarious, but in the future might become scary - they will push the narrative of persecution and I have no doubt that if the sickos ever regain power, they'll make up stuff to do what they claim is done to them. Hell, Ted Cruz is already on the record saying they will impeach Biden for absolutely any made-up reason just to get back at Dems for impeaching their Dear Leader.

And Crowder says "this is war".

But that won't prevent me from enjoying their delicious, delicious tears.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:46 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I won't be satisfied until he's being led away in cuffs. Plain and simple. This is a good thing but I am wondering what's come of it ultimately

Yea, until the dirtbag is led away in cuffs I fully expect to see him running for president in 2024 and none of this mattering in the slightest.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:30 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Which for now is hilarious, but in the future might become scary - they will push the narrative of persecution and I have no doubt that if the sickos ever regain power, they'll make up stuff to do what they claim is done to them. Hell, Ted Cruz is already on the record saying they will impeach Biden for absolutely any made-up reason just to get back at Dems for impeaching their Dear Leader.

Presidential scholars and historians are increasingly convinced that we're heading into an era in which the House majority will impeach any President of the opposite party. Not for any particular reason, just because they happen to be of the other party. They tend not to get into partisanship but it's pretty obvious which party is driving that change.

The hypocrisy and persecution complex on the right knows no bounds.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:59 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

Yea, until the dirtbag is led away in cuffs I fully expect to see him running for president in 2024 and none of this mattering in the slightest.

I doubt he ever see's jail time but at the very least this should make him not be able to hold any government office again.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:14 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I doubt he ever see's jail time but at the very least this should make him not be able to hold any government office again.

That's something they should've done at his second impeachment, but they didn't for reasons that still baffle me.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:35 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:

I'm fairly concerned, too. Even before this, it certainly feels as if sectarian violence might become a regular feature of American life in the coming years.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:06 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

I'm fairly concerned, too. Even before this, it certainly feels as if sectarian violence might become a regular feature of American life in the coming years.

I hate that this has become a real possibility to begin with...

It's nice to be able to healthily disagree with someone of a differing political ideology, that's how progress happens.

BastardHead wrote:

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:28 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

I hate that this has become a real possibility to begin with...

It's nice to be able to healthily disagree with someone of a differing political ideology, that's how progress happens.

We have regressed in the USA, by at least 50 years. A civil war won't happen but random acts of violence because people disagree will and probably increase. This is what happens, it was always there but the last 6 years especially have brought it to light and emboldened the cockroaches. I used to think, bring these fuckers out, now, I would prefer they go back in their holes.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:34 am 

Man just reading Breitbart and a bunch of other RWNJ sites, they’re going nuts. If the fucker is put in handcuffs and sent to prison I’ll celebrate, but I already know he’s going to scream he’s a political prisoner.

I mean what the actual fuck was he doing with those documents. Was he trying to sell info to the Saudis or worse Putin?

As for possible civil war, let them try. It brings out the cockroaches to easily have them stomped out. Plus it pretty much the death knell of the GOP at that point.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:38 am 

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Half the country is at each other's throats and I don't doubt that the police and military are inherently sympathetic to the right by their very nature. I think civil war is a real risk right now and if one does break out, I don't think it'll be over quick.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:47 am 

I’m willing to bet around half the police and military actually defect, the other half stands and defends, plus that half loses a lot of the big toys the government has that would stomp out those fools with their pea shooters. Let’s not forget other countries might step in and deal with them; too much monied interest to let the US completely rip itself apart.

I think it’s hilarious they’re now calling to “defund the DOJ and FBI”. Who wants to defund the police now? lol

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:21 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:
Man just reading Breitbart and a bunch of other RWNJ sites, they’re going nuts. If the fucker is put in handcuffs and sent to prison I’ll celebrate, but I already know he’s going to scream he’s a political prisoner.

I mean what the actual fuck was he doing with those documents. Was he trying to sell info to the Saudis or worse Putin?

As for possible civil war, let them try. It brings out the cockroaches to easily have them stomped out. Plus it pretty much the death knell of the GOP at that point.

It was incredibly stupid of him to keep those documents.

If they showed that he did something illegal, he would have destroyed them. He wouldn't keep them around. We've heard that he would eat (yes, EAT) papers or flush them the toilet. So I doubt that's it.

Apparently, they're so sensitive, the Archives cannot give the public a description of the documents because that description would also be classified. So they're not something unimportant.

So either he's showing them, or maybe he's using them as blackmail.

Also, I think a complete political chaos is more likely than a Civil War - like States ceasing to listen to federal law and regulations, refusing to pay taxes, or fake governors claiming they won when they lost. I also expect them to cheat a lot by:

- refusing to certify elections
- using courts to reverse results
- switching ballots, or just making up numbers by having loyalists be responsible for it
- preventing votes (physically or by closing booth sooner)

And of course, the semi-regular act of schotastic terrorism.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:02 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
I think a complete political chaos is more likely than a Civil War - like States ceasing to listen to federal law and regulations, refusing to pay taxes, or fake governors claiming they won when they lost. I also expect them to cheat a lot by:

- switching ballots, or just making up numbers by having loyalists be responsible for it

This.
Alas, those four points are seemingly inevitable.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:32 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:
I think a complete political chaos is more likely than a Civil War - like States ceasing to listen to federal law and regulations, refusing to pay taxes, or fake governors claiming they won when they lost. I also expect them to cheat a lot by:

This.
Alas, those four points are seemingly inevitable.

Yea, all this seems a lot more realistic than a Civil War.

I think it will take a whole hell of a lot more to raise people (me) out of their apathy and into a Civil War.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 69  Next