Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:12 pm 

Inspired by the threads recently that are meant for people to come and express their hate for various music, I thought I'd do the opposite and wonder aloud what youns' favorite non-metal music is.

I really enjoy a lot of singer-songwriter material. Jason Isbell, Laura Brehm, and Imogen Heap are regularly in my listening rotation. Recently, I came across an artist by the handle of Sushi Soucy, whose music resembles Disney and Broadway musical numbers in its writing and performance. Many of the songs have a darkly humorous overtone or entire storyline to them, and a DIY bedroom aesthetic overall. A nice discovery.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:17 pm 

gothic country
avant-prog
freak folk
russian neoclassicism

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:32 pm 

Over time I've tried to at least dip my toes into every broad area of music and find at least an artist or two I can latch onto. Some genres have proved much more simpatico with my tastes than others.

Electronic music in general has had a rich variety of flavors that have appealed to me. Synthpop, EBM, electro-industrial, futurepop, synthwave, darksynth, etc., I like to immerse myself in synthesizer soundscrapes.

There is a lot of jazz I'm fond of, particularly in the 40s-70s bebop, hard bop, post-bop, and fusion eras. I've become a lot more picky and not as well-versed on the more relatively modern scenes, but do find other favorites here and there.

Folky singer-songwriter artists were not historically something I was all that into, but over the last half-decade they've come to encompass a significant chunk of my listening, mostly ones a bit on the more ethereal, gloomier, dreamier end of it.

Progressive rock has long been a favorite, I appreciate musicianship and clever arrangements.

All kinds of other styles at various points, but those are three fairly enduring ones and a relatively recent favorite.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I really enjoy a lot of singer-songwriter material...Imogen Heap

It's an interesting conundrum. I (and most people from what I can tell) generally associate it with solo endeavors (maybe sometimes with collaborators) that are acoustic-based, but obviously her foundation is generally electronic. Bjork is sort of the prototype there, and Kate Havnevik is a special favorite of mine that kind of blends the two. I'm also a big fan of Agnes Obel, who uses acoustic instrumentation in an electronic way.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:41 pm 

I think of singer-songwriter as any musical project that's got a generally accessible sound and is at least mostly done by one person. That second criterion is the main thing that separates singer-songwriter material from household-name solo acts like Ed Sheeran.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:25 pm 

Sheeran has different facets to his music though. He has more glossy material where he's just the most conspicuous cog in the machine, but he also has a more traditional side where he can become a one-man-band, like this one.

Spoiler: show

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:17 pm 

That's some impressive use of live looping, I will admit, but it's not representative of Sheeran's larger body of work.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:02 am 

I am a fairly eclectic music lover and cannot think of a single genre that I completely dislike.

I have always been partial to the spacious feel of thematic film scores, especially those with a Classical bent. I grew up on Folk and Gospel music, rather enjoyed a good amount of Disco and Motown when they were current. I also discovered my love for playing the drums at the same time I had received dozens of vinyl for obscure P-Funk bands, so it was a perfect match. This love for Funk music in general led to me being a HUGE fan of old school hip-hop and its reliance on what became known as G-Funk. Gangsta Rap is one of the most enthralling music types to play the drums along with.

My favorite music however, what I listen to most, is Jazz and its many MANY subgenres. From 1930s Ragtime, 1940s to mid 1950s Swing & Waltz, early 1960s bebop to late 60s-mid 70s Jazz Fusion to 1990s Smooth Jazz.

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:31 am 

Metal is just about the only genre I listen to on a regular basis.

Among the stuff that I like to play from time to time, Silent Hill/Elder Scrolls OSTs hit me hard; mostly due to nostalgia.

Silent Hill:

Elder Scrolls:

And memes aside, this one is a definite banger:

And those you enjoy it should check this one out:

I hope not

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:20 am 

It was only last year we had this thread on the topic to be fair.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:29 am 

Well besides anything that can be classified as 'rock' and all interesting variations of it, here's some other stuff I like, including some favorites/recommendations)

Love me some electronic stuff like synthwave (Waveshaper, The Midnight), chillwave (ODESZA, Washed Out), lo-fi (basically the entire Lo-fi girl channel on Youtube) and the like, anything I can drift away with. Some singer-songwriter (Anaïs Mitchell, Mary Epworth) stuff is really good too. I can get into some (niche) hiphop stuff too (Doomtree, Logic). Also, Dungeon Synth (Hedge Wizard, DIM, Old Sorcery, Quest Master), while kind of linked to metal in a big way, is a huge passion of mine. Absolutely adore it.

I love several game OST's too, but most of them can be attributed to other genres. Some of my favorites OSTs are from Oxenfree, Firewatch, Blasphemous, Heroes of Might and Magic 4 and the Silent Hill series. Recently, Stray has been grabbing my attention too with it's amazing soundscapes.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Last edited by Ravenlord266 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:37 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
gothic country

Any recommendations?

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:41 am 

My second most adored genre after metal (and it's subs) is soul music (and it's subs like Motown, Doo-Wop Soul, Blue-Eyed Soul)

Sam Cooke (above everyone else ten-fold) and then Percy Sledge, The Supremes, The Temptations, James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, The Elgins, etc etc etc.

Much like metal, soul music has countless deep, buried artists like Spencer Wiggins, Sam Baker, The Orlons, Jerry Butler.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:27 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
gothic country

Any recommendations?

Also, what is gothic country?

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:03 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Ravenlord266 wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
gothic country

Any recommendations?

Also, what is gothic country?

Basically alternative country that's a tad more morbid, both in tone and in theme. So it's basically country that has undertones from gothic rock, post-punk and whatnot. Some bands approach it more from a cabaret standpoint, others from where alt country originated ie. cowpunk and noisy rock.

Anyhoo, a couple of absolute must haves are:
Munly & The Lee Lewis Harlots - S/T
In my opinion the absolute pinnacle of the subgenre.

16 Horsepower - Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
Basically the patient zero of gothic country, not always even characterized as such because it's pretty rooty and not all that bleak all the time.

The Angels of Light - How I Loved You
If you want your gothic country more folky, see here.

Probably should also mention Slim Cessna's Auto Club - Cipher here although I'm not THAT taken with them. The Handsome Family has lots of stuff in this vein too, if you've seen True Detective you know the one song at least.

If you're into any of those, check these favorite albums of mine:
Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts - Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts (impossible to find physical copies though)
The Builders and the Butchers - Salvation Is a Deep Dark Well (should be easy to acquire, the singer's nasal tone is an acquired taste but the songs here are great)
Antic Clay - Hilarious Death Blues (ambitious as fuck and another really hard one to actually purchase)
The Kill Devil Hills - Heathen Songs (australian variety, a little more raw and swampy)
Lux Interna - There Is Light in the Body, There Is Blood in the Sun (if you feel like the genre could use some neofolk or even post-rock influences, go here)
Roselit Bone - Blacken & Curl (more americana vibes with horns and stuff, check Slow Hot Death for reference)
Salter Cane - Salter Cane (can't find this shit anywhere either)
Those Poor Bastards - Satan Is Watching (really lo-fi raspy stuff, if a blues & roots band was played by Ildjarn)
Woven Hand - Any of the first five albums (16HP creator David Eugene Edwards' band nowadays, a little more variety, folk and rock here)

More recs available if requested

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:39 pm 

Some stuff in gothic country I like is Morah Woods (particularly Old Boy), Tarantella (especially Esqueletos), Lindi Ortega (Liberty being the most conspicuous) Thayer Sarrano (Wings Alleluia most notably) and then Chelsea Wolfe's Birth of Violence is kind of adjacent.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
That's some impressive use of live looping, I will admit, but it's not representative of Sheeran's larger body of work.

From what I've heard it's more representative of some of his early career and live shows, but yeah, it's quite a ways from what he's become known for more recently.

Luvers wrote:
My favorite music however, what I listen to most, is Jazz and its many MANY subgenres. From 1930s Ragtime, 1940s to mid 1950s Swing & Waltz, early 1960s bebop to late 60s-mid 70s Jazz Fusion to 1990s Smooth Jazz.

Any particular favorite somewhat lesser known artists?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:56 am 

I'm fairly random in what I dig with no genres being as much of a "safe bet" as I have with various branches of metal, but there's a few branches I feel more likely to go for.

D-beat/crust is generally right up my alley. The gloomier, more primative less D-beaty crust doesn't do it for me, but dang it, Discharge figured out the catchiest energy beat, doesn't get old.

On the more straight ahead rock front, I like stuff that adds noisy or arty aspects on top of more standard poppier rock tracks, so I couldn't say I was a massive noise rock guy since a lot of it loses the rock out fun time aspect, but keep the fun time hooks and add a heap of distortion or weird noises to it and I'll probably vibe pretty hard. The stuff which gets this is pretty prevalent in my top ever non-metal picks.

Used to like post-rock a bunch, similar to the above I actually like the crescendocore way more than more creative or moody bands. Get too close to ambient and you pretty much become the worst thing ever.

Outside of the guitars sphere, I like my rap big and stupid and beat driven. Not remotely interested in all this minimalistic drumless meaningful statement about society stuff, but give me a burly dude barking about how much better at drugs he is than me over an overdone big beat with layers of bombastic pomp over it and I'm right on board.

Anything else is pretty random... one or two albums in subgenres I either haven't explored or don't like.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:52 am 

Folk Music
Industrial/Aggrotech
Classical/Opera
70's-90's Pop
Synthwave

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 am 

That's a shitload of recommendations. Thanks, Bishop!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:32 pm 

Punk that's on the more melodic side. I love stuff like Jawbreaker, Lifetime, Dillinger Four, Hot Water Music, The Lawrence Arms, Fifteen, The Muffs, Screeching Weasel, Alkaline Trio, Mr. T Experience.
Also a big fan of skate punk like NOFX, Bad Religion, Pennywise, A Wilhelm Scream, Strung Out, Millencolin, Face to Face, Tsunami Bomb, early Propagandhi and Lagwagon.
Obviously I love the Descendents too, who are at least partially why all that stuff exists.

Some more current bands also hit the spot for me - PUP, Jeff Rosenstock, The Menzingers, The Dirty Nil, Spanish Love Songs, The Bombpops, Pears.

Also, yes, I do like some mainstream pop punk bands... mostly Green Day, but some old blink-182 is a lot of fun as well. New Found Glory and Sum 41 also have very consistent discographies if you don't hate that kind of stuff.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:56 pm 

Are you into Rancid?

real_lulled
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:17 pm 

I love 70's and specially 80's pop like Duran Duran, Tears For Fears and such.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:15 pm 

Ska, skate punk, J-Pop, 70s-90s pop, old-school country, video game soundtracks, and showtunes.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:14 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Are you into Rancid?

Yup!
First big-name punk band I saw live. It was a great show too. Matt Freeman is a great bassist of course, and they have a mostly solid discography - "Let the Dominoes Fall" is really the only thing they've done that I don't like.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:44 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Are you into Rancid?

Yup!
First big-name punk band I saw live. It was a great show too. Matt Freeman is a great bassist of course, and they have a mostly solid discography - "Let the Dominoes Fall" is really the only thing they've done that I don't like.

Ah, cool. Freeman is probably my favorite bassist in punk. ...And Out Come the Wolves is probably their best for me.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 am 

I used to really love synthwave, but it's geeting to be to hard to find the good stuff among all the trash. So I usually just end up listening to the "old" albums.

I'm also really into gothic rock and post-punk, but mainly the classics.

These days it's mainly the obvious stuff like hard rock and hardcore/punk/crust/d-beat, but I also quite like folk and singer-songwriter stuff if it has the right atmosphere.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:06 pm 

I've always liked hard rock and punk but the last few years I've also gotten more in to noise. Especially death industrial like Gnawed, Himukalt and Vomit Arsonist.

I've also developed an interest in classical music, mainly string quartets.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:50 am 

I like all those bands that LycanthropeMoon mentioned and more; I probably listen to punk almost as much as I listen to metal, in fact. I like both the melodic pop punk and skate punk as well as the hardcore/speedcore and crust stuff, though crust punk does honestly get a bit repetitive after a while. So, this would be my "Favorite" non-metal music.

But I still enjoy some great classic rock and, particularly, psychedelic rock from time to time.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:45 am 

Some real good punk recommendations in here. I forgot to list that as another genre I highly enjoy from time to time.

Anyone into skate/pop punk should give a listen to Iron Chic if you can. I think they're super underrated and especially their first album "Not Like This" is an absolute gem.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:57 am 

I love just about all musics. It would be easier to list the ones I don't like than the ones I do. Even just a list of favorites would be difficult. The last ten years or so would be best described as rabbit holes of new music. Indian classical, jazz, various jazz styles, certain artists within already established favorited genres. I can't answer this question, so I shouldn't be posting, but I wanted to mention Indian classical. I'm a percussion junky. I find Indian, Persian, Arabic, etc music to be endlessly fascinating and pleasing to my ear. I feel it is vastly different to anything I've heard outside of the great Dead Can Dance and a couple others, but just being different would never be enough. It hits me in the soul and pangs the most pleasing parts of my brain. I've been listening to it for a few years now, and I don't think I understand it any better than I did at the start. By understanding, I mean I can't pick out methods and technical differences. I go entirely on what instruments are involved. I don't have a clue of what makes what a style or method or tradition. It would probably help focus my interests, but I'm still enjoying the green wonder of just beginning.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:25 pm 

Along with punk, hard rock, (post) grunge and other guitar centric sort of stuff that isn't too far a step away from metal (relatively speaking), I enjoy country, pop, hip hop... and probably a few more. Spotify allows me to dip in and out of the various genres easily, but cause there's so much out there, I've probably only got a basic, surface level knowledge of these genres. That's the issue with so much readily available sadly.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:25 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
I wanted to mention Indian classical. I'm a percussion junky. I find Indian, Persian, Arabic, etc music to be endlessly fascinating and pleasing to my ear. I feel it is vastly different to anything I've heard outside of the great Dead Can Dance and a couple others, but just being different would never be enough. It hits me in the soul and pangs the most pleasing parts of my brain. I've been listening to it for a few years now, and I don't think I understand it any better than I did at the start. By understanding, I mean I can't pick out methods and technical differences. I go entirely on what instruments are involved. I don't have a clue of what makes what a style or method or tradition. It would probably help focus my interests, but I'm still enjoying the green wonder of just beginning.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite niche subgenres, and one of the most different from everything else I listen to in terms of structures, scales, instrumentation and such. I saw Ravi Shankar live awhile ago and it was one of my favorite concert experiences. His daughter Anoushka opened for him and then became part of his ensemble. This was much later in Ravi's life, and he could barely walk at that point and had to be helped across the stage, but he could still play marvelously. In all honesty I'm still far from an expert in it myself despite listening to it off and on for close to a couple decades now. But I love other stuff like Ali Akbar Khan, Bismillah Khan, Amjad Ali Khan, or other music with elements from it like Zakir Hussain, Shakti, Sheila Chandra and others. Or even metal influenced by it like Aghora and Rudra.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:01 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Some more current bands also hit the spot for me - PUP, Jeff Rosenstock, The Menzingers, The Dirty Nil, Spanish Love Songs, The Bombpops, Pears.

I love the first 5 artists you mentioned and haven't heard of the other 2, so I'm about to check those out.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:09 pm 

-I'm really into post hardcore/noise rock from the 90s: Unwound, Fugazi, Drive Like Jehu, etc.
-I also love stuff like Swans. GY!BE, A Silver Mt Zion and I'm a huge King Crimson fan (only the 70s era is real though).
-I also like some post punk like Have a Nice Life, Protomartyr, Ştiu nu ştiu, Gold, etc.
-Also into industrials tuff like Coil, Neubauten, Killing Joke, NIN, etc.
-Drone like Tim Hecker, Roly Porter and Ben Frost is great.
-Elend are one of my favorite bands but I'm not really into a lot of other darkwave stuff.
-I'm also into really noisy powerviolence like The Endless Blockade and No Faith. Some 90s metalcore is also great,s tuff like Converge and Norma Jean.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Ska, skate punk, J-Pop, 70s-90s pop, old-school country, video game soundtracks, and showtunes.

Nice to see another ska fan on here. What's your favorite wave?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Definitely 3rd wave. I'm not really into the slower, more reggae/calypso-heavy ska--I like the stuff that's basically skate punk with horns.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:38 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Definitely 3rd wave. I'm not really into the slower, more reggae/calypso-heavy ska--I like the stuff that's basically skate punk with horns.

Skacore should crossover with thrash metal.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:02 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Skacore should crossover with thrash metal.

The O.C. Supertones would always have at least a song on each album that would open with a Metallica excerpt.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm 

Dubstep!

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:09 pm 

All fans of The Angelic Process please report ASAP.

Count_Venereal wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
WASP on the Supreme Court right now!

I will vote for whoever makes this happen.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:23 pm 

Could've sworn they used to be on the archives.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next