Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:43 pm 

I saw a post, in the worst rock music thread, about Florida Georgia line, and they sure are shit. So I thought it would be a good idea to make this thread. Warning! Opinions incoming:

Imagine Dragons
Nickelback has a sound. You can laugh at it. Imagine Dragons is just offensively...there. It's just an offensive form of wuss music. Twee indie shit, that, you can understand why someone would be into it, even if it's not for you. Imagine Dragons has the pop production values, the whinyness, and the annoyingness, in just the perfect combination. This is music for people who do not listen to music! When people post Youtube comments, about how they worship the classics, and it's a bunch of things that aren't alike, such as "the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Guns 'N' Roses, Tupac..."...this is the combination fucking things, that they sell T shirts of at the fucking mall! And I'm not talking about Hot Topic, which is mallcore, bbut they big name "department stores." This is music for people who get into new music, because the manager of their workplace put it on the speakers. People who can't say they hate other kinds of music, because they never listened to it! these are people who think that Thin Lizzy, James Brown, The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, are some obscure underground music. These are the ones who can't name three songs!

Ed Sheeran
Has anyone ever met an Ed Sheeran fan? I've never encountered one. Youtube tries to get me to listen to his shitty music. Is it for "nice guys," which is what he portrays himself as? Or young women, who are losers? This is a little more authentic than imagine dragons, because he, according to what I've read, seems to actually listen to music. But it comes across as so inauthentic. It's like some record executives said "acoustic guitar ballad, good, those make lots of money! Synthesizer pop, fake drums, vocal processing, yes...that makes lots of money! What's that Ed? You want to rap? You're terrible at it, but go ahead, our research tells us that that makes lots of money!"

He is the most whiny, other than DSBM, I guess. He makes midwest emo sound less whiny. If you think Ed Sheeran has any musical merit, but you want to criticize indie rock, or post metal, grunge, or shoegaze, you're not valid.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:08 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I saw a post, in the worst rock music thread, about Florida Georgia line, and they sure are shit.

I’ll own this and provide the context:

I, in the Worst Rock Band thread wrote:
Slight genre detour, as THE worst music I’ve heard isn’t rock.

God damn, Florida Georgia Line is THE absolute worst music I’ve ever heard. Just a complete pastiche of the most trite modern country cliches, utterly devoid of any credibility, legitimacy, originality, substance or performative skill.

My significant other loves this shit, and every time I hear it, I very badly want to commit seppuku.

I stand by it.

And yeah, Imagine Dragons can eat it.
Obliteration

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:45 pm 

Radio country deserves special disdain. When you're playing such simple, folkish music, you have to have good lyrics, to make it good. The best country is real, raw, music, about the ups and downs, of life as a regular person. Radio "hick hop," or bro country, is wuss rap, meets lazy, inauthentic country. A bunch of illiterates, who think refuse to accept that it was the confederates, that started the US civil war, by firing on US forces, and that the secession was based on a fear, that Lincoln's administration would ban slavery(which he didn't want to do, until they pushed him into it), and who are concerned about 'the elites' fucking them over, who listen to millionaires pretending that their trucks are broken down, jeopardizing their blue-collar livelihoods, or that the farm is in trouble, mixed in with songs about drinking shitty beer(and flavored seltzer water, mixed with shitty liquor), and music videos pretending to be some country barbecue gathering.

It's like Maine upper caste Yale frat boys, moving to Teas, and putting on fake accents, pretending to be cowboys, and winning the election. It works, on the stupid. The next time any of you make fun of metalheads, remember, pop country is still making good money, off of selling CDs at Walmart, in the 2020s. It makes mallcore look good, by comparison.
-John Gallagher

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:31 pm 

When I was younger, I used to be obsessed with dubstep. I remember whenever I had the chance, I'd go on the old iPad we had and listen to groups like Skrillex, Datsik, Excision, Doctor P, and Knife Party to name a few. In a way, they were kind of a gateway for heavy music for me.

Looking back at it now, most of the music I used to listen to has not aged well to put it lightly. Not to mention that Datsik was accused of sexual assault a while back, which basically gives his songs a bad taste in my mouth :puke:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:53 pm 

Just any kind of plastic, auto-tuned pop. A lot of that stuff just sounds robotic, and it's often overly sugary choruses and lyrics are cringey as heck. I can at least respect a bubblegum pop singer who has genuine vocal talent; i.e. they can actually sing without the use of auto-tune. But with a lot of that stuff, give any baby-faced Beeber wannabe some lyrics and you can instantly create a radio superstar with about as much talent as Sloth of Gulf Coast Florida (and about as interesting to listen to, as well.)

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:11 am 

If one branch of music is the polar opposite of what I click with, it's probably New Age. I base that on how little of what I listen to could be categorised under that umbrella. It makes sense given excitement is what I get out of music and I really don't do meditation/relaxing at all. A lot of New Age puts me in mind of generic movie background music, or worse: those charity supergroup singles such as Spirit of the Forest. Which reminds me, I hate Christmas songs as well.

Country would be close behind, but if I dug deep I could probably find more than a couple of songs I like there.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:05 pm 

Type VIIC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:45 pm 

Anything involving white dudes trying to play funk. Hippie surfer stuff, ska, etc.

Chili Peppers, Sublime and 311 would be my unholy trinity.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:55 pm 

Can white dudes not play funk? If so, why? I really enjoy some of the early Chili Peppers material.

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:31 am 

Nightclub music, lifeless MTV pop, gangsta rap and that electronic shit where the "musicians" are all called 6ix9ine, Lil Bum or some asinine nonsense like that and they all look like junkies that got vomited on by a rainbow (I believe the genre is called 'trap' or something like that). These four are bottom of the bottom as far as I'm concerned. I can see how good music can be composed in other genres, even if it's not to my tastes, but these four I simply cannot.

I hope not

Type VIIC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:59 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Can white dudes not play funk? If so, why? I really enjoy some of the early Chili Peppers material.

It's the vibe more than anything. Obviously they can play their instruments.

I can sum up any music criticism with a quote from "Panic" by The Smiths: "It says nothing to me about my life."

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:32 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Imagine Dragons
This is music for people who do not listen to music!

I have always thought something very similar, which is "this is what people who don't listen to rock music think rock music sounds like."

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Ed Sheeran

I See Fire and Nancy Mulligan are nice songs. Otherwise, yeah, pretty lifeless pop.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:14 am 

Spoiler: show
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

You deserve a permanent life time ban from the internet for sharing that shit.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:38 am 

Ah, I see your're not familiar with turbofolk, one of Balkan's greatest atrocities.

The Bard with Bright Eyes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:42 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Ah, I see your're not familiar with turbofolk, one of Balkan's greatest atrocities.

IDJ nightclub shit like Buba&Jala, Rasta, Gazda Paja and shit like that is worse, but only slightly. Nemaju ovi pojma čega nisu svjesni.

I hope not

Star_Fox
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:14 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
You deserve a permanent life time ban from the internet for sharing that shit.

LOL

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:03 pm 

I have always found dubstep to be really annoying, does it even count as music?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:39 pm 

Dubstep indirectly got me into metal. The aggression in Skrillex's wubs prepared me for heavy sounds, and when I discovered that he used to be in a band (a screamo band), my journey to heavy music was started. Naturally, I still have a soft spot for dubstep. The aggressive "brostep" variety, that is.

TheYawningMoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 pm 

Whenever I hear Nicki Minaj, I want to walk into oncoming traffic. Her voice is spectacularly annoying.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:22 pm 

TheYawningMoon wrote:
Whenever I hear Nicki Minaj, I want to walk into oncoming traffic. Her voice is spectacularly annoying.

"Starships" has an insanely catchy chorus, but I really wish someone else was singing it.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:45 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Imagine Dragons
This is music for people who do not listen to music!

I have always thought something very similar, which is "this is what people who don't listen to rock music think rock music sounds like."

Imagine Dragons sound like their music was created by an algorithm to be used for Gatorade or Nike ads.
Fire walk with me"

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm 

TheYawningMoon wrote:

Same with Cardi B. The song, if you can even call it a song, 'WAP', makes me physically cringe.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:03 pm 

WAP is a fun - and funny - song. Unless you're a prude. Or you just dislike Cardi B as a person, which is valid.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:08 pm 

I just think it sounds like shit and the video is senseless. I am just a moment shy from my eyes and ears bleeding when exposed to it. I don't know what she is like as a person, but if her music is a reflection of her personality, then yes, I don't like her as a person.

Thuderclese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:05 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I saw a post, in the worst rock music thread, about Florida Georgia line, and they sure are shit. So I thought it would be a good idea to make this thread. Warning! Opinions incoming:

Imagine Dragons
Nickelback has a sound. You can laugh at it. Imagine Dragons is just offensively...there. It's just an offensive form of wuss music. Twee indie shit, that, you can understand why someone would be into it, even if it's not for you. Imagine Dragons has the pop production values, the whinyness, and the annoyingness, in just the perfect combination. This is music for people who do not listen to music! When people post Youtube comments, about how they worship the classics, and it's a bunch of things that aren't alike, such as "the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Guns 'N' Roses, Tupac..."...this is the combination fucking things, that they sell T shirts of at the fucking mall! And I'm not talking about Hot Topic, which is mallcore, bbut they big name "department stores." This is music for people who get into new music, because the manager of their workplace put it on the speakers. People who can't say they hate other kinds of music, because they never listened to it! these are people who think that Thin Lizzy, James Brown, The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, are some obscure underground music. These are the ones who can't name three songs!

Ed Sheeran
Has anyone ever met an Ed Sheeran fan? I've never encountered one. Youtube tries to get me to listen to his shitty music. Is it for "nice guys," which is what he portrays himself as? Or young women, who are losers? This is a little more authentic than imagine dragons, because he, according to what I've read, seems to actually listen to music. But it comes across as so inauthentic. It's like some record executives said "acoustic guitar ballad, good, those make lots of money! Synthesizer pop, fake drums, vocal processing, yes...that makes lots of money! What's that Ed? You want to rap? You're terrible at it, but go ahead, our research tells us that that makes lots of money!"

He is the most whiny, other than DSBM, I guess. He makes midwest emo sound less whiny. If you think Ed Sheeran has any musical merit, but you want to criticize indie rock, or post metal, grunge, or shoegaze, you're not valid.

As somebody who is forced to be in a car with folks who like listening to Hits 1 on Sirius XM I can tell you that there is plenty out there that is worse than Imagine Dragons and Ed Sheeran.

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:03 am 

Thuderclese wrote:
As somebody who is forced to be in a car with folks who like listening to Hits 1 on Sirius XM I can tell you that there is plenty out there that is worse than Imagine Dragons and Ed Sheeran.

Come on then, don't leave us hanging. Like what?

Thuderclese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am 

agent_fist wrote:
Thuderclese wrote:

Come on then, don't leave us hanging. Like what?

I don't know all of them off hand, but a few that I have heard that I find particularly terrible are Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Doja Cat, and Tones and I. There's others I just can't remember all their names, but if I think of any others I'll post them. Lets put it this way some of the music is so god awful on that station that when they'd play Miley Cyrus's "Midnight Sun" or Post Malone's "Circles" I'd think to myself "hey this ain't that bad".

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:32 pm 

That’s terrible, that you have to experience that. I didn’t even think to mention that stuff, because it’s so bad, I try to forget it exists, and to avoid hearing it.
-John Gallagher

Thuderclese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:12 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
That’s terrible, that you have to experience that. I didn’t even think to mention that stuff, because it’s so bad, I try to forget it exists, and to avoid hearing it.

Thankfully I've gotten pretty good at just drowning it all out haha. Most pop music has always been pretty terrible, but there are a lot of artists these days that are getting by with minimal if any talent. I remember when most pop artists at least had to have some musical talent, that seems not to be a prerequisite these days. Say what you will about artists like Nick Lachey or Christina Aguilera at least they know how to sing.

thehawksfuckingdead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:54 pm 

Any rapper who makes songs with hi hats exclusively and shit vocals and lyrics. I still don't understand how people listen to that shit.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:46 am 

Definitely not this

Spoiler: show

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:29 am 

Walking past Die Antwoord's stage at Riot Fest was the worst 40 seconds of my life and that includes a suicide attempt.

I'm not even going to elaborate on why they're so awful because if it isn't immediately obvious to you then I'm sorry but we will never be friends.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:48 pm 

I had forgotten about them. They’re worse than 21st century Weezer, when it comes to just making intentionally shitty music. Isn’t their gimmick fake, and they’re actually rich suburb children, and not from the trailer parks?
-John Gallagher

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:28 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

RHCP is a poor man's Faith No More. Infectious Grooves is also a better funk band than RHCP ever was.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:29 am 

2000s rap, pop punk and reggaeton. I don't think i can imagine worse music

As for individual artists; ID, Ed Sheeran, Taylor swift, Drake, FFDP etc.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:45 pm 

White dudes CAN play funk, and it's called Disciplin A Kitschme. Fuck RHCP, and Primus sucks.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:08 am 

Agree with imagine dragons, lame fucking bullshit, honestly I know for a fact that anyone who likes that is a person I couldn't be friends with, I just know that as a fact.

Perhaps.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:43 am 

White dudes can play ska too. Listen to some Madness:

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:17 pm 

^That's my boy!

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:01 pm 

That would have to be Mexican cumbia music. Their shrill voices coupled accordions drives me up the wall.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next