Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:00 am 

debuts tonight... very low expectations, i think/fear it'll mostly be british actors in platinum wigs sha**ing, intercut with dragons breathing fire, but i'm obvs gonna watch it...

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 pm 

Probably going to watch this. Got nothing better to do, hah. I enjoyed Game of Thrones all the way through.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:27 pm 

aloof wrote:
i think/fear it'll mostly be british actors in platinum wigs sha**ing, intercut with dragons breathing fire...

I'd sign up for that!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:42 am 

Strong opener! GoT is back? :hyper:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:05 pm 

Strong opener indeed! So far, so good - I am hoping for good things. I do have a few thoughts, though.

Spoiler: show
The jousting was way over the top. The quick turnaround just seemed forced, unnatural, and silly. The brutality that ensued afterward just didn't make any sense for a tournament, and had no basis in the books or in actual history. With all that skull-crushing bloodshed, for the final duel between the Prince and Ser Cole to end so nicely just felt way out of place. I'm not sure why that creative decision was made, because it didn't add anything to the story. This makes me worry that the attitude of "fuck the story, give them lots of cool looking action that doesn't make any sense" that ruined the last couple seasons of GoT may still be present here. Aside from that, I thought everything was well done. It felt nice to be back in that world, filled with sly political maneuverings.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:32 am 

I don't think we need to spoiler tag honestly, unless discussing leaks or book stuff. If you aren't caught up, don't click on this thread haha

Re: the tourney comments, I know how you feel, I think it was too much too. That said I think there could arguably a purpose there; to show Daemon is arrogant and violent, but that in the end he does have some honour to him that he ends up taking the L somewhat gracefully.

They could have shown this without that silly brawl though, or him cheating prior to that. I know he can get away with it being the prince but it was kind of ridiculous and the brawl with the other knights made no sense. A lot of those were from Great Houses too, they would never agree to send their young men to compete if it meant they could get mauled to death, and if that did happen there would be an uproar.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:23 pm 

I agree about those criticisms but agree also that the episode on the whole was very solid. They really don't need to lean so much into the graphic violence and orgies when they once again have competent writers. I get that they felt they needed some action in an episode that's mainly focused on introducing a bunch of characters, but still, it was a bit ridiculous. The best scenes were when people talked about stuff around a table.

Having read (and loved) Fire & Blood, this show now looks very promising. I went in with no expectations for obvious reasons but now I'm pretty excited to see what's coming up.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 am 

The first episode, I had to watch again, was too distracted with all the gore and sex. The second episode contains none of that but is more shocking in the story being told. That's all I'll say for now but the new intro is full of blood, don't skip past that, lol.

Teleboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:14 pm 

So far it's been enjoyable. Not perfect, mind you, but definitely enjoyable. The Crab Feeder has a nice creepiness factor working for him.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:24 pm 

What's interesting to me is how much excitement there is for this when compared to Rings of Power.

I thought both programs would have similar levels of interest.

I guess Middle Earth is old news.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:01 pm 

Rings of Power doesn't look bad, but the previews make me think of The Hobbit, not Lotr. I'm not someone who hates the Hobbit trilogy- I think they're fun popcorn movies, but they miss that grounded "lived in world" feeling of the first trilogy. So that's why I'm not counting down the hours 'till release. Who knows though, it might subvert my expectations.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 am 

Rings of Power is huge, don't kid yourself. No need to pit one series against the other though. I prefer HotD but I can enjoy both.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:30 am 

HBO just put the pilot up on Youtube for free!: https://youtu.be/XrMdo8jF5Dg

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:02 am 

The tournament scenes definitely felt off; it's like there was a sudden and unexplained trial by combat smack dab in the middle of it. It's a bit silly to try and unravel the logic behind it all, but I can't help it, there doesn't seem to be any (not sure who got brutally defaced, but unless I'm mistaken, those were all heirs or sons of lords and/or knights; it's a brilliant idea to have your military elite tear off each others faces). I could see those scenes fortifying the sense of the brutality of the regime, but the problem is it definitely didn't seem like that was what the show was going for in the first two episodes (the brutality being the domain of the antagonist, essentially a political pariah). No wonder it'd be a tall task to fill in the Kingsguard position.

The sex scene felt obligatory and completely meaningless too. It's what GoT does, brand recognition, and nothing else.

Having said that, the show seemed okay, good acting, some good tension- and drama-building. I'll definitely watch it.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:54 am 

That crab dude needed more screen time.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:26 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
That crab dude needed more screen time.

Agreed but nope.

Enjoying the show but not so much the pacing so far. Ep2 to 3 was a 3 year jump. Not asking to drag things out but there could be some story to tell in between, especially with a war going on. I have not read the source material, so I don't know if that time was glossed over.

Anyways, I'm team Daemon. He is a bad ass.

Thuderclese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:03 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Rings of Power is huge, don't kid yourself. No need to pit one series against the other though. I prefer HotD but I can enjoy both.

What I'm looking forward to the most is the new Willow series. It's one of my all time favorite childhood movies so I'm hoping the show does a good job. Haven't watched HotD or Rings of Power just yet, I am going to wait until the entire season of both is done so I can watch it all straight through.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:21 am 

I've now watched all three episodes of HotD. I don't mind the pacing, but I can't help but feel the writer(s) are revisiting GoT too often, as in character traits and situations. As I was watching e3, I kept thinking, "That's ridiculous." and "I think we've seen this before." Maybe my expectations are too high. I don't know. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far, but some of it lacked creativity enough that my excitement is a bit dulled.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:09 pm 

Thuderclese wrote:
What I'm looking forward to the most is the new Willow series. It's one of my all time favorite childhood movies so I'm hoping the show does a good job. Haven't watched HotD or Rings of Power just yet, I am going to wait until the entire season of both is done so I can watch it all straight through.

Yeah! Willow is one of my favourite childhood movies too, and I really hope the TV show does it justice. Please be good!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:45 am 

Saw this on another forum:

Quote:
Cool uncle getting cooler by the minute.
Edit: Welp.

:lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:49 am 

Targaryen's gonna Targaryen.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:56 am 

I think they may need more than leeches...

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:22 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
I think they may need more than leeches...

It appears the leeches and maggots didn't work as the king has lost his arm now after the 10 year jump. I'm surprised he is still alive. A lot going on now but can we have no more birth scenes, please, especially ending in tragedy.

Looks like shit is about to really go down, I am enjoying this show but I really need to start using subtitles to understand the cockneyed accents, I have to rewatch to catch the dialogue I'm missing.

Axegrinder90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:49 am 

I watched a little bit of it but kinda gave up by episode 4 because I already determined that everyone I remotely enjoy in the show is gonna die anyways so there's no point in carrying on XD

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:22 am 

Game of Thrones is wont to do that.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:01 am 

So how about that finale eh

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So how about that finale eh

Awesome! Such a great season overall, so much better than I allowed myself to expect. I love how it fleshed out so much stuff from the book, which, being a fake history book, mostly just glossed over all of these events. Can't wait for more.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:52 pm 

I haven't read the book but I will since we have like 18 months until season 2. In the meanwhile, we'll get Snow or Aegon the 6th, the prophesised one. And now HBO has green lighted another series on the Seasnake. Getting ridiculous...

Anyways, poor Luc, Vhagar chomped him and Arraxs like a chicken nugget. Young boy shouldn't have been sent and the young dragon shouldn't have fireballed Vhagar. Even Aemond, who is a total dick, seemed to not want that outcome. The Queen is pissed now and I think Daemon is quietly happy, since he will get the war he wanted. It also showed that you can't always control the dragons.

Great series, I'm glad I spent the time watching it, sucks to have to wait a year and a half for the war to come. Hopefully there will be no more tragic birth scenes...

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:58 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Even Aemond, who is a total dick, seemed to not want that outcome.

He's more an eye for an eye person

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:58 pm 

He's just a dickhead that wanted to taunt but didn't realize his actions would kill his cousin and trigger a war.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:47 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
He's just a dickhead that wanted to taunt but didn't realize his actions would kill his cousin and trigger a war.

I think it's clear that Aemond was troubled by this outcome. However, I wouldn't say he's only a dickhead; it was probably about revenge, torture and domination (bit beyond "dickhead" I'd say), and war is pretty much a given (for the characters too), but being the one who preyed on and killed a Targaryen boy may be something with complex and multifaceted consequences. For instance, what effect could that have throughout the kingdom when opposed to Rhaenys' actions and firm control over her dragon? Not only a bloodthirsty maniac, but a weakling who can't control his dragon too (I may be willing to bet Aemond himself is going to present this as completely intentional precisely because of this). When this happened, both camps were knee-deep in the "gather allies" stage of things (for war, everybody, maybe except for Alicent and Rhaenyra, knows it's coming).

I think it's more of a PR matter.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:39 am 

In the book there's nothing to suggest that Luke's murder was "accidental". They're softening up the Greens a lot lol

I don't really mind the change because, well, the way the book is written is basically as a "history" book penned down by maesters, and clearly they weren't there to see what really happened, but at the same time, it makes Aemond a bit ridiculous and stupid here since he threatened Luke in the Storm's End hall and chased him on Vhagar, like, what were you even doing if not attempting to kill him?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:27 am 

I was pleasantly surprised by the season overall, there were some lulls in the middle but I think I can appreciate why they decided to focus on the past events that they spent time on. Aemond is my favorite character, I really empathized with him in all his scenes prior to the finale. And in the finale, when he turned around to see Luke, even though it already hinted he was there, what a reveal! He looked so fucking cool, just like I imagined Targaryen ancestors. I hope he plays off the murder as intentional! Daemon is really great too, I have trouble getting a feel on his motivations sometimes, but he had lots of great lines and scenes. Other fav characters would be Corlys, Ser Criston, and Otto Hightower. All of them were perfectly cast.

I also have not read the book, not sure if I plan to before next season, as I enjoyed just being surprised as opposed to constantly cross-referencing my memory of the books. I enjoyed this much more than RoP, I have yet to make it to the 4th episode there, it looks great but the attempts at profound Tolkien dialogue are really offputting sometimes. The Willow show looks super promising, just saw another trailer today, and if that's enjoyable, then I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Especially looking back to the 90's when fantasy tv was Hercules and Xena.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

SentByTheDevil87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:26 am 

I'm annoyed that we have to wait 2 years before the next season of HotD premiers. Same goes for TRoP.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:23 pm 

SentByTheDevil87 wrote:
I'm annoyed that we have to wait 2 years before the next season of HotD premiers. Same goes for TRoP.

For real :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:11 pm 

I won't be bothering with another season of Rings of Power. Can't really understand why I finished this first one, since it started bad and only got worse. What a baffling waste of money.

The wait for HotD season 2 will be hard, though.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:02 pm 

I finally got a chance to finish the season of HotD. I like the world. I'll keep coming back for more. I did feel the final episode had too many lazy pivotal moments though.

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:38 am 

Razakel wrote:
I won't be bothering with another season of Rings of Power. Can't really understand why I finished this first one, since it started bad and only got worse. What a baffling waste of money.

It took me 2 weeks to get though 4 awful episodes, and then I quit. It's so bad, it's actually funny. I found it more entertaining watching YouTube's Mauler, Critical Drinker, and a show called Friday Night Tights, hosted by Gary, [Nerdrotic] with guests, discussing it. They watch it so we don't have to.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:17 pm 

RoP was fun, y'all are haters

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm 

Valandil_79 wrote:
Razakel wrote:

It took me 2 weeks to get though 4 awful episodes, and then I quit. It's so bad, it's actually funny. I found it more entertaining watching YouTube's Mauler, Critical Drinker, and a show called Friday Night Tights, hosted by Gary, [Nerdrotic] with guests, discussing it. They watch it so we don't have to.

I couldn't get through the third episode. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of LOTR, but this was just plain bad.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next