* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:48 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I just created an alternate google and YouTube account, so I can go through YouTube clicking only music and music-related stuff. That way the algorithm for this account will only recommend more music, based on the data it collects about my taste. It's already working, found two interesting albums and queued them for later.

Do you use incognito mode for that account? I have an account with my real name and picture that connects to all my Google related stuff, but I would like to have one only for music. Mostly because I use YouTube as a resource in my work, so I would like to have recommended music and tutorials for whatever I am working on.

Nope, all I did was make an entire new Google account, then sign into YouTube under that account. I'm still signed into Google under my main, but it lets me sign into YouTube with the other one. You can switch back and forth between YouTube accounts pretty quickly too.

By the way, it's working perfectly so far. All I've clicked on are ambient and vaporwave albums, so that's pretty much all it's recommending to me. Plus some other random underground albums that gained traction on YouTube, which is kinda nice. Adds some variety. I'm not gonna listen to any metal with this account cause I really like the track I steered the algorithm onto.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:27 pm 

So, there's the album "Reign in Blood" with the song "Rainin' Blood" on it. I wonder if that naming choice was intentional.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:44 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
So, there's the album "Reign in Blood" with the song "Rainin' Blood" on it. I wonder if that naming choice was intentional.

Sounds like a coincidence to me.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:41 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

They’re homophones. Slayer are not as uneducated as people think, some of them did know how to read.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:32 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

They’re homophones. Slayer are not as uneducated as people think, some of them did know how to read.

Considering that Tom Araya is Chilean, he is definetely not one of those that know how to read.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:19 pm 

Tom Araya knows how to read. He had to go to school, to be a respiratory therapist, back in the day. He probably reads questionable internet propaganda these days. Kerry King might not, but he can hear the sound of two homophone words. He’s probably going to be the exclusive lyric writer, for his new band, which should be interesting. I can’t wait to hear what he has to say.
-John Gallagher

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:26 pm 

Good grief. Apparently Torsofuck is back and they're gonna release a new album too. I wonder if it's for real this time. Hopefully not.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:41 pm 

It’s really real. One of my band mates is a fan, and he said that’s what they told him, when he contacted them.
-John Gallagher

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:14 pm 

Hopefully the recordings will be lost in a fire before they can be released, like the last album was.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:15 pm 

Why do you hate them so passionately? Is there a story behind that?

I've never listened to Torsofuck but I might listen to the new album when it comes out cause why not.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:17 pm 

Their only album so far is one of the worst metal albums I've ever heard, that's really all there is.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:19 pm 

Ah. Makes sense I suppose

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:18 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

"Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding its horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood!"

Yeah, it's intentional.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:44 pm 

^ One of the greatest choruses ever done. Such vile vibe to it.

cravingforafreshshit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:39 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Hopefully the recordings will be lost in a fire before they can be released, like the last album was.

no. the recordings are not lost and never will be. no one, even fire, cant destroy such an avant garde masterpiece. the world was not ready to handle new torsofuck. until now. if that is. they even rerecorded the songs from the supposed "lost album" for a better, auditory pleasurable experience.

Spoiler: show
maybe tomorrow i will get a dog

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:46 pm 

Anyone watch Bill McClintock's mash-ups? Incredibly well made and quite stupid.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:36 pm 

RE Torsofuck: In Chicago, there's a metal-themed restaurant called Kuma's that plays metal (a good mix of extreme metal and classic stuff) and has metal-themed decorations, food, etc. There are two locations in the city, but a few years ago they opened a location in Schaumburg, which is a suburb about half an hour outside the city. The handful of times I went there they had primarily classic metal on, so I wasn't sure if they were "dressing down" a bit given that it was your typical business/family kind of town, but imagine my surprise when I ended up there last year and they were playing...Torsofuck. "Raped by Elephants" in particular. Never that I'd hear at a bar in Schaumburg, Illinois.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:58 am 

Constantly surprised how much I enjoy these Beherit albums. Flawless BM.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:06 am 

Yeah, they’re one of the most evil sounding band in the whole subgenre. Oath of the Black blood is in frequent rotation here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:14 am 

I just bought that the other day - I thought I'd heard it but nope. Just this fun blast of grindy, blackened evil... Drawing Down the Moon I kept thinking would wear off after my initial enjoyment a few years ago, but nah it rules.

cravingforafreshshit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:52 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
RE Torsofuck: In Chicago, there's a metal-themed restaurant called Kuma's that plays metal (a good mix of extreme metal and classic stuff) and has metal-themed decorations, food, etc. There are two locations in the city, but a few years ago they opened a location in Schaumburg, which is a suburb about half an hour outside the city. The handful of times I went there they had primarily classic metal on, so I wasn't sure if they were "dressing down" a bit given that it was your typical business/family kind of town, but imagine my surprise when I ended up there last year and they were playing...Torsofuck. "Raped by Elephants" in particular. Never that I'd hear at a bar in Schaumburg, Illinois.

thats so fucking sick. im definitely paying a visit sometime
Spoiler: show
i will please entry anus

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:04 am 

I've just had a priest in my house; I left the living room with Ghost Bath's Convince Me to Bleed on Headbangers Stingray Music on my cable TV going on before he entered. Then I went upstairs to listen to Incipit Satan by Gorgoroth (I'm an atheist). By the way, this channel has a lot of death metal, with bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Behemoth appearing from time to time... Cool stuff when you want to be left alone in the living room. XD

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:40 am 

So I finally at last got around to giving Batushka’s acclaimed debut album a listen to see what all the hype has been about. My impression: as black metal, yeah, it certainly doesn’t re-invent the wheel. I’m in agreement with a lot of others in that the ambitious production quality and mixing is where this album stands out and shines. Some beautifully played tremolo riffs are found here too, and I like how the bass guitar is maximally utilized for a nice doom atmosphere. Yep, I like this album even if these guys sound little more than Negura Bunget with an Ecclesiastical spin.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:08 pm 

I never really understood the criticism of Batushka. Yeah they're not completely original, but there haven't been many truly original black metal bands since the 90s. The album is very good, I enjoyed all of it, that's all that should matter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 pm 

I always thought it was super fucking boring. Just so lame - always felt tame and conservative to me.

This Hammers of Misfortune album that came out however is NOT lame...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:53 am 

I certainly didn’t have any high expectations for it when I picked it up. It’s nothing special, but I admire how they competently executed some well-worn material. That’s always the trick to enjoying some forms of entertainment.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 am 

A lot of people seemed to turn on/reevaluate Batushka after the lawsuit and it seems like a lot of people think that they overrated Litourgiya initially, the allure completely evaporated once the curtain was torn down, or they're just more vocal about not liking them than they were in the past because their popularity had a mild chilling effect.

Personally, I'm not one of those. Litourgiya kicks just as much ass now as it did in 2015 and I'm very saddened by their current, more lukewarm position in metal's history.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:00 am 

Even if the original lineup had stayed together to crank out more releases, I do think Batushka for me would have been one of those few bands who left a very good first impression yet somehow didn’t make me eager to want to go check out another album of theirs. As if I somehow instinctively knew this was probably as good as they were going to get however good it is; a high floor, low ceiling. The third Taake album was another example of this for me. Absolutely love it, but somehow haven’t been fucked to hear anything else by them ever since. This seems to be inherent to bm bands whose music emphasizes a yen for a certain aesthetic.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:57 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
A lot of people seemed to turn on/reevaluate Batushka after the lawsuit and it seems like a lot of people think that they overrated Litourgiya initially, the allure completely evaporated once the curtain was torn down, or they're just more vocal about not liking them than they were in the past because their popularity had a mild chilling effect.

Personally, I'm not one of those. Litourgiya kicks just as much ass now as it did in 2015 and I'm very saddened by their current, more lukewarm position in metal's history.

Count me as someone who still loves Litourgiya as well - that said, I agree somewhat with marktheviktor's post in that OG-tushka continuing would probably start to feel a bit derivative around the third album even if everything was still technically sound. Caspian's review here of the third Obsequiae album is a pretty good analysis of a similar process.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:36 pm 

So I've got an old episode of Friends on the TV as background noise and I heard something relevant to this board's interests that I don't think I ever caught before and I don't know how I never caught it.

Phoebe and Mike meet for the first time and Phoebe tells Mike she plays guitar and he asks what style she plays and she says, "Acoustic, folky stuff, but right now I'm working on a couple Iron Maiden covers."

One of my favorite Friends moments from when the show was still "on the air" was when Phoebe kinda sorta attempting to give Joey guitar lessons and Joey drops his pick in the sound hole and joey holds up the guitar upside down and shakes it to try to get the pick to fall out. The first I'm watching this with my family (many years ago) I'm howling with laughter because of the "it's funny because it's true" effect, and my mom asks me, "Has that ever happened to you?" And I'm like yes. She asks well what do you do when you do that? "Exactly what Joey's doing." How often do you need to do that? "A lot more than I'd like to admit."

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:22 pm 

Stronghold by Summoning is such a terrific helping of majestic black metal..but goddamn, the drumming really holds that album back from greatness. Something sounding so epic deserves genuine percussion, not cheesy programmed drums.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:46 pm 

Have you ever started a fit of cough and then realized you could end it just like the Sweet Leaf-intro cough ? I've been doing it

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:51 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Phoebe and Mike meet for the first time and Phoebe tells Mike she plays guitar and he asks what style she plays and she says, "Acoustic, folky stuff, but right now I'm working on a couple Iron Maiden covers."
A few decades ago it was indeed funny. Nowadays, this is the kind of stuff that actually happens. I don't go out a lot, but in the last 4 years or so I've seen Anneke van Giersbergen doing a solo, quiet set in support of Amorphis, during which she sang a bunch of etheric songs.. and then she played Wasted Years by Iron Maiden, a slower, acoustic version.

Recently I was at a show by Sister Ray (Canadian artist; https://www.sisterraymusic.com), of mostly low-fi acoustic music, and she ended up doing an acoustic rendition of AC/DC's Up to My Neck in You.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.. shows the world has evolved (as it should)

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

I wasn't sure whether one would write "ringing in the New Year" instead of "reining in the New Year".

Ringing has more google hits.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:21 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Stronghold by Summoning is such a terrific helping of majestic black metal..but goddamn, the drumming really holds that album back from greatness. Something sounding so epic deserves genuine percussion, not cheesy programmed drums.

Ah man, I think the cheesy programmed drums are just as much an essential part of Summoning as the cheesy synths...that'd be like dungeon synth with real drums.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:58 am 

Are there any songs, metal or otherwise, that express hatred for Santa Claus? I’m talking about like a metaphor for hating the money worship and greed, but literal sounding lyrics are fine. I’m talking about something like Angelcorpse’s song “christhammer,” but about crucifying and torturing Santa, while denouncing him as a false prophet, used to deceive the population.

There is also an expression, which people say, because it rhymes in English, “Jesus is the reason for the season.” Which is a Christian denunciation of the material worship. And while this isn’t my cultural background, personally, I’ve heard people say, that they dismiss Jesus, and proclaim that tamales are, in fact, the true meaning of Christmas. Is there any music which expresses this sentiment?

I’m not especially devoted to some form of edgelordism. I just wonder what people with differing opinions might have to say. Are there anti-Christmas songs?
-John Gallagher

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:08 am 

Obvious answer is King Diamond's No Presents For Christmas.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:05 am 

VHS's If You're Dressed in Red is really good

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:12 pm 

RIP Angelo Badalamenti. :(
Fire walk with me"

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:44 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
RIP Angelo Badalamenti. :(

Rest in peace. A true genius.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325 ... 332  Next