Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:26 pm 

Our best player literally put his balls on the line to get us a winning goal. Now we get to play the Dutch. All gravy now, we made it this far.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:05 am 

Next 2 games is Australia v Denmark, and France v Tunisia.

Equation is simple for Australia. Defeat Denmark and we're through to the round of 16. Draw with Denmark and then hope that France either win or draw. Lose to Denmark and it's all over.

Denmark are strong. Beating them will be a huge achievement. Not sure we have the skills to do that, but anything's possible. Game is on at 2am my time. Would love to stay up and watch it but we'll see.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:56 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Equation is simple for Australia. Defeat Denmark and we're through to the round of 16. Draw with Denmark and then hope that France either win or draw. Lose to Denmark and it's all over.

Denmark are strong. Beating them will be a huge achievement. Not sure we have the skills to do that, but anything's possible. Game is on at 2am my time. Would love to stay up and watch it but we'll see.

Australia 1 - 0 Denmark

Fuck yeah! :-D :np:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:01 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Australia 1 - 0 Denmark

Fuck yeah! :-D :np:

...aaaand finished! Congrats to Australia on making it to the next round!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:15 pm 

Yeah man, that's freakin' awesome! Go Aussies!

I saw that Mexico took down Saudi Arabia earlier today. Poland vs Argentina was on, but I didn't see a final score for that one.
We (Americans) have a tough road ahead getting past the Netherlands, but I'm glad we at least made it this far.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:12 pm 

Thanks! I managed to stay up and watch the whole game. Australia had to do some insane defending and our goal came from a moment of individual brilliance, but getting through the group stage was all I wanted. Argentina is our next opponent, which will be immensely difficult.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm 

Group E became very dramatic, and Germany got eliminated in the group stage for the second World Cup in a row. Japan did to Spain what they did with Germany: turned 0-1 at halftime to 2-1. Japan won the group and will now face Croatia, while Spain will face the, on paper, weaker Morocco.

Also, last World Cup bronze medalists, Belgium, are out. They had some great chances at eliminating the silver medalists of that same edition, Croatia, but it ended 0-0.

FontaL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:46 pm 

"Weaker Morocco"... If Argentina has learned anything, it is that you never win before the game. The defeat against Saudi Arabia was good for Argentina, since they recovered their face and humility to show that facet of that 2021 Copa América champion once again, that's why in their next two games they went out to win them without underestimating their rival. This has been the most unpredictable World Cup, and at this point, to say that Morocco can beat Spain is not an unrealistic probability.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:13 pm 

Japan defeating Germany and Spain means they are no longer also-rans. They are definitely contenders.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:07 pm 

Morocco is def an underperforming country so if it all clicks now they could def beat Spain

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Japan defeating Germany and Spain means they are no longer also-rans. They are definitely contenders.

They're not going to win Mikey. They did also lose to Costa Rica somehow. They do have a kinder draw in the round of 16 against an ageing Croatia. I think if they keep up that pressing and harrassment they absolutely can beat Croatia. That's probably where the tournament ends for Japan. Quarter finals for an Asian nation would be a fabulous result.

Germany haven't been a true power in football for a few years now. This is the second successive world cup where they didn't even get out of the group.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:30 am 

Terri23 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

They're not going to win Mikey. They did also lose to Costa Rica somehow. They do have a kinder draw in the round of 16 against an ageing Croatia. I think if they keep up that pressing and harrassment they absolutely can beat Croatia. That's probably where the tournament ends for Japan. Quarter finals for an Asian nation would be a fabulous result.

Germany haven't been a true power in football for a few years now. This is the second successive world cup where they didn't even get out of the group.

There's a long way to go, but I still think Japan have a good chance. They are every chance of defeating Croatia. :)

Australia take on Argentina at 6am tomorrow morning my time. You bet I'll be getting up to watch it. And maybe turn it off by 6:30 depending on how ferocious Argentina want to be. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:34 am 

I'll be up early, drinking a pint and cheering on my US squad. The way this tourney has gone, anything is possible. If the Dutch can't score, they can't win and we are the only team that hasn't given up a match play goal. I would love to have the match go to PK's. Also, though we lack a true finisher or 9 type forward, our midfield has been great and are world class.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:53 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I'll be up early, drinking a pint and cheering on my US squad. The way this tourney has gone, anything is possible. If the Dutch can't score, they can't win and we are the only team that hasn't given up a match play goal. I would love to have the match go to PK's. Also, though we lack a true finisher or 9 type forward, our midfield has been great and are world class.

I'll never not find the American usage of the term PKs hilarious.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:15 am 

Terri23 wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I remember Alex Ferguson using the term 'penalty kick' on a few occasions. I can't recall ever hearing anyone else use it though. Unless you're referring specifically to PKs, as in pee-kays, in which case... yeah, I've never heard that.

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 am 

If England beat Senegal, they might face France. The French are not as good through the MF, defence, and GK positions, as they were in '18.

England's biggest issue has been Southgate, who's tactics, selections, in-game mgmt, has been appalling, and certainly cost us at least one tournament. And, his backroom staff of Holland, Nevin, (West Ham) and Powell are questionable.

Some commentators have argued for Rashford to start for Engand, but that's advocating for punt & rush footie. It's reactionary claptrap. If Southgate had any foresight, he could've developed a side with Wilson, (9) Foden, Kane, and Saka in a 3. The Senegalese are a big side, so there's no point trying to out muscle, or out run them. A measured, possession based performance, with Kane/Foden dictating, beats Senegal, convincingly.

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:10 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I remember Alex Ferguson using the term 'penalty kick' on a few occasions. I can't recall ever hearing anyone else use it though. Unless you're referring specifically to PKs, as in pee-kays, in which case... yeah, I've never heard that.

You just says 'pens' lol

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:50 am 

Well, that looks like the end of the US.

They‘re barely able to penetrate the Netherlands zone and then Netherlands just nonchalantly put two in without even trying.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:46 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

Yeah, I meant "pee-kays", which is what he meant. It's a term really only found in America, and they pronounce it as such.

Valandil_79 wrote:
If England beat Senegal, they might face France. The French are not as good through the MF, defence, and GK positions, as they were in '18.

England's biggest issue has been Southgate, who's tactics, selections, in-game mgmt, has been appalling, and certainly cost us at least one tournament. And, his backroom staff of Holland, Nevin, (West Ham) and Powell are questionable.

Some commentators have argued for Rashford to start for Engand, but that's advocating for punt & rush footie. It's reactionary claptrap. If Southgate had any foresight, he could've developed a side with Wilson, (9) Foden, Kane, and Saka in a 3. The Senegalese are a big side, so there's no point trying to out muscle, or out run them. A measured, possession based performance, with Kane/Foden dictating, beats Senegal, convincingly.

I disagree. England should be going with the same team that convincingly outplayed Wales, which included Rashford starting. The alternative is the team that stuttered to a draw against the US, which knowing Southgate, is probably what he is going to do.

Riffs wrote:

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:44 pm 

I get like four comments on my use of PK's... From people that call a sport "footy"

:wanker:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:59 pm 

Oof, almost a last second goal for Australia to make it 2-2 and take it to extra time. Valiantly fought though.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:26 am 

Argentina defeated Australia 2-1 in the round of 16. Despite what the scoreline tells you, it doesn't show the absolute dominance of Argentina throughout the game. Particularly in the first half, I noticed Australia were playing for penalties, not points. Bad approach. Argentina's 2nd goal came from our goalkeeper's brain explosion, and our solitary goal came from a wild deflection, but Argentina were far and away the better team today. Just like the game against France, the gulf in talent between the two sides is apparent.

Good luck to Argentina in the upcoming semis. They're going to be tough to beat. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
I disagree. England should be going with the same team that convincingly outplayed Wales, which included Rashford starting. The alternative is the team that stuttered to a draw against the US, which knowing Southgate, is probably what he is going to do.

I love it when a plan comes together!

You don't play Saka and Rashford, together. That's 'kick and rush' footie, and neither of those are exactly that French citizen, Mbappe, Papi... You know who I mean. England were well drilled, with smart players on that pitch, incl. Hendo, Rice, Foden, Kane and Bellingham. (top class for 19 years)

The problem - Maguire is abolutely diabolical and a serious liability. He's the only weak link, and the only concern going into that game with France.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:16 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I get like four comments on my use of PK's... From people that call a sport "footy"

:wanker:

It's almost as if the name of the sport is derived from the primary modes of distribution and carry within said sport.

Valandil_79 wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

I love it when a plan comes together!

You don't play Saka and Rashford, together. That's 'kick and rush' footie, and neither of those are exactly that French citizen, Mbappe, Papi... You know who I mean. England were well drilled, with smart players on that pitch, incl. Hendo, Rice, Foden, Kane and Bellingham. (top class for 19 years)

The problem - Maguire is abolutely diabolical and a serious liability. He's the only weak link, and the only concern going into that game with France.

I still don't understand why Southgate snubbed Tomori, and included Dier in the team. A good friend of mine is a Spurs fan, and though Dier has been playing, my friend reckons he's easily been the worst player on the pitch. He's also been saying this for a number of years. Tomori is the first choice centre half at the Milan team that won their first league title in something like 12 years. Should have been in the squad ahead of Dier. He'd also be pressuring Maguire for his spot in the team. Maguire, captain of Manchester United, cannot get a game at Manchester United, because his manager knows he's a liability.

Outside of the first half an hour, this was commanding. England make a statement in knockout football. Jordan Henderson adds leadership and experience to the midfield, and the team looks a lot more settled with him there ahead of Mason Mount. I was slightly surprised that Rashford didn't start, but Saka gets his goal. Harry Kane, who has come in for criticism this world cup by people who have no idea what they're talking about, finally gets a goal too. The team head into the match against France full of confidence.

Riffs wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:22 pm 

Spain demonstrated exactly why they couldn't top a group that was won by Japan. They weren't good enough. Tiki-taka football is truly dead. They dominated possession in every game they played, and made over 1,000 passes in 3 of the 4 games they played, while doing absolutely nothing with possession, outside of the match against a demoralised Costa Rica. Alvaro Morata was their only really recognised striker, and he's made a career of being completely mediocre, yet somehow commanding transfers at extortionate fees to the best clubs in the world.

Morocco are the mandatory World Cup underdog fairy tale. They've been truly excellent, and their place in the quarter finals is absolutely deserved. Good on them.

Riffs wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:34 am 

I predict, rather boringly, that Brazil, France and Portugal will advance. The only somewhat uncertain quarter-final is Netherlands-Argentina. Sure, Messi may have a decisive impact, but as a team I hold Netherlands to be better. I don't think Argentina have impressed in any game so far and they've been quite shaky defensively.

Brazil and France have been looking very strong and will probably end up in the final.

By the way, France broke the negative trend of reigning champions, which was that they for the last three tournaments have been eliminated in the group stage. In 2018 Germany entered as champions and was out in the group stage, in 2014 it was Spain, in 2010 Italy. Same with France 2002 also. So four of the last five tournaments had defending champions failing miserably.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:05 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Morocco are the mandatory World Cup underdog fairy tale. They've been truly excellent, and their place in the quarter finals is absolutely deserved. Good on them.

Yeah it's always fun to watch an underdog get far. I remember Iceland getting quite far in 2016, even beating England! But they got quite crushed by France the next game.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:12 pm 

Holy hell what a game between Argentina and the Netherlands. The referee lost control completely in my view. The way the Netherlands equalized was really something. But in the end Argentina won after penalties.

Interesting that Croatia advanced via penalties in both the quarter-final and the previous round, both of which they did in 2018 as well. Now they will face Argentina in the semi-final.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:33 pm 

They played 'Wasted Years' when England lost, here in Finland's national TV. Well, deserved, but I've always been Up the Irons, so, let's play some Loudblast and Nightmare...

Congrats France.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:33 pm 

Morocco wrote football history as they became the first African team to reach semi-final. They're incredibly difficult to score on. Now they will face France.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:49 pm 

I only caught highlights, but looks like Argentina dominated Croatia in their semi-final. Argentina going to be hard to beat against France/Morocco.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:07 am 

totally boycotting this farce. Haven't seen a single second of it

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:41 am 

I backed Argentina to win this at the beginning of the tournament, and I did discuss this in a post on the previous page here. I also stated very early on that France will not win the tournament. There's absolutely no chance of this happening, but it would be great to see Morocco to pull something special off here again.

I also hate the tired Messi vs Ronaldo trope. It's boring, and it's tired. If anything, international football for both of these players has proven football is a team game. Football is a little more competitive when you don't play for teams that are able to access limitless finances.

Riffs wrote:

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:44 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
I backed Argentina to win this at the beginning of the tournament, and I did discuss this in a post on the previous page here. I also stated very early on that France will not win the tournament. There's absolutely no chance of this happening, but it would be great to see Morocco to pull something special off here again.

I also hate the tired Messi vs Ronaldo trope. It's boring, and it's tired. If anything, international football for both of these players has proven football is a team game. Football is a little more competitive when you don't play for teams that are able to access limitless finances.

It's not boring. That sweaty narcassist [Ronaldo] left the pitch on his own, and left his team mates out there. No support or empathy. No 'thank you' to the Portugese fans for their support. What a Current!

And, regardless of the fact that the Argies are of Spanish/Italian descent, and then think they can claim the Falklands, I still want Messi to win the World Cup, just coz we all know Ronaldo will hate it.

Valandil_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:46 pm 

Lane wrote:
They played 'Wasted Years' when England lost, here in Finland's national TV. Well, deserved, but I've always been Up the Irons, so, let's play some Loudblast and Nightmare...

Congrats France.

I've heard Van Halen's "Jump" several times. COYI!!!!!!

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:24 pm 

Terri23 wrote:

France is going to the Finals. Pretty sure you'll have to revise that statement.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:28 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

France is going to the Finals. Pretty sure you'll have to revise that statement.

I said that France will not win the tournament. They haven't won it. Nothing to revise here.

Valandil_79 wrote:
It's not boring. That sweaty narcassist [Ronaldo] left the pitch on his own, and left his team mates out there. No support or empathy. No 'thank you' to the Portugese fans for their support. What a Current!

And, regardless of the fact that the Argies are of Spanish/Italian descent, and then think they can claim the Falklands, I still want Messi to win the World Cup, just coz we all know Ronaldo will hate it.

The Messi/Ronaldo propaganda has been endlessly churned out by the press and influencers for at least 13 years now. If you're not a fan of either nation they compete for, or any club they've played for (I'm one of them), you have no interest in this mindless discussion. It's the football equivalent of Metallica vs Megadeth, or whatever other equally banal debate you want to throw up for discussion.

Riffs wrote:

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:58 am 

Terri23 wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

I said that France will not win the tournament. They haven't won it. Nothing to revise here.

Maybe look at the part I put in bold in your previous post. Absolutely no chance France will win the whole thing? Considering they are going to the finals, I'd say they have a pretty damn good chance of winning. They are also defending champions.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:05 am 

I stand by it. If Kante, Benzema and Kimpembe were playing I'd have said from the beginning they were the team to beat. They've not been great in their last two games. In fact they were largely outplayed in both games. Happy to eat my words if they do beat Argentina. I think Argentina will win the tournament, as I said at the beginning of the tournament.

Riffs wrote:

RestlessChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:11 pm 

LET'S GO ARGENTINA!!!!!! LET'S GO FOR THE THIRD ONE!!!!!!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7hRe7 ... e39d9247b7

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next