Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:07 am 

Eve 6 - careerist lyricist

New album's fun and upbeat so far. Just good old upbeat catchy shit. Solid.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:33 am 

I'm currently listening to the save room music from Resident Evil - Code Veronica. It's genuinely relaxing to listen to while trying to get some work done

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

anamelessghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:54 am 

Johnny Cash - American series
Perfection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:55 am 

The Raconteurs - Rich Kid's Blues

Great sprawling Americana - rich folk and hard rock and everything in between. Epic in its way.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:35 pm 

The Sisters of Mercy - Amphetamine Logic

I think the debut Sisters album "First and Last and Always" is my favorite post-punk/gothic album out of all the ones I've heard. It just nails that ghostly and morbid atmosphere so damn well.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:08 pm 

Âmes Sanglantes - Murder of Key

Noise project by O.T. from Akitsa. I’m not used to this type of music but I dig it so far. It’s interesting to consider how many metal musicians also happen to have a noise/ambient side project.

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:03 pm 

Scum FC - industrial/noise/experimental project that sounds exactly like early live Throbbing Gristle recordings. Eerie, bizarre and sinister sounding.

https://youtu.be/PwoSGFebqXo

Here he is live:

https://youtu.be/jVE3qmDWBRU

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:16 pm 

Savage Beliefs - Big Big Sky: A Recorded History of Savage Beliefs

Great punk rock from Chicago, circa 1983-1984 featuring Brian Gay (original bassist of Government Issue) and Dave Riley (who went on to Big Black after this).

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 pm 

kazhard wrote:
Âmes Sanglantes - Murder of Key

Noise project by O.T. from Akitsa. I’m not used to this type of music but I dig it so far. It’s interesting to consider how many metal musicians also happen to have a noise/ambient side project.

A lot of modern noise music is metal-adjacent (mainly related to black metal or grindcore).

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:22 am 

Dinosaur Jr- The Wagon

What a fun ass album from start to finish, but this song in particular. Pairing it with the hilarious cover of Bowie's Quicksand back to back is required listening

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:53 pm 

Bob Dylan - Crossing the Rubicon

Badass lyrics full of literary anguish and fatalism, a great bluesy lick - a killer tune. Love this.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:44 pm 

Depeche Mode - Dressed in Black

Black Celebration was the last 80s DM album I needed and I really connected to it on Sunday and now I can't get this song out of my head.

untappd: patrick_g

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:08 pm 

I've been on a serious Ivan Mládek kick lately. I've always enjoyed the '"Jožin z bažin" video, but I've been recently listening to several hours of his material with his Banjo Band, and I've gotta say, it's all quite pleasant. Maybe I'm getting old.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:42 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The Mermaid Sisters - Galactic Mermaid (Carole & Tuesday OST)

This is the song of our generation. No question.

LOL
I love Carole & Tuesday and this song, it was hilarious to see this scene for the first time since you're not expecting it.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:54 pm 

blink-182 - Apple Shampoo

These guys were at their best when they basically sounded like NOFX, Descendents and Screeching Weasel tossed into a blender.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:52 am 

From First to Last - the Heroine album in its entirety

An album I adored when I was 14 and into screamo, so I guess it was a gateway to metal. I thought I'd put it on and hate it now that it's 6 years later, but it's help up surprisingly well aside from the incel-isms of the lyrics. I've never heard a screamo album that sounds like it. It's a whole lot more industrial-influenced and much less accessible than its contemporaries. The harsh vocalist did an album with The Human Abstract, another band I love, but he's strangely underused on this album. More absent than I remembered.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:55 pm 

"Heroine" is a relatively unique and creative album, it definitely holds up better than a lot of other Myspace-era post-hardcore. I'd place it alongside "Full Collapse" by Thursday and "Sing the Sorrow" by AFI in that sense.

VV - Vertigo Eyes

This new solo album by Ville Valo is quite good. Not radically different from HIM, but there are some surprises if you liked their brand of poppy and vaguely metal influenced goth rock.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:19 pm 

Prince - Controversy

I’m sure it was a dance floor filler back in the 80’s.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:38 pm 

Government Issue - Give Us Stabb or Give Us Death 1985

I'm pretty sure I heard this shortly after, or at the same time as, Minor Threat. For sure one of the first WashDC bands. They wrote some catchy songs, but Stabb is the reason why people listen to GI. His vocals were signature. Can't recommend the Vol1 2CD collection enough.

Damage - Sins of Our Fathers 1984

If I'd heard this early on, things would be different.

Unruh - Tomb discography

This was one of the great bands of the 90s. Misery Strengthened Faith was one of the best albums of the decade. I can hear why people don't like them or don't give them a second glance, but I'm a big, big fan. They turned into Structure of Lies and crossed the rubicon into death metal, but the Structure of Lies demo is still very much hardcore.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:36 pm 

HIM - Wicked Game

Nice cover. Also, there are times where I wonder if they should be archived entirely due to their debut and "Venus Doom", lol.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm 

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

R.I.P. Van Connor

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:48 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

R.I.P. Van Connor

Dollar Bill from this album played on my shuffle playlist earlier. I just found out that he died from your post! Sweet Oblivion was an underrated gem from the grunge era.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Hummer

One of the standouts from 'Siamese Dream'. This album will stay with me till I wither and turn into dust.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:25 pm 

Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air

Great masterpiece of ambient. The title track contains lots of memorable synth and keyboard lines while the second one is more on the dark side of things but they’re both equally unsettling pieces. Those 60s-70s ambient/electronic composers were something else.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:22 am 

A Tribe Called Quest - Push Along

Classic east coast hip hop. Been meaning to delve deeper into the rap genre and this group is probably one of my favorites so far alongside Cypress Hill.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:56 am 

Rihanna & Drake - What's My Name?
Rejoin my soul with thine

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:04 pm 

Anti-System - Discography 1982-1986
if I'd heard this band earlier than I did, I would gone punk earlier than I did. There are a couple bands like that. DxRxIx is another one. But yeah, this band was a bridge between anarcho-punk and UKHC. If you haven't heard their No Laughing Matter 12", I can't recommend it enough. Also had a good comeback record in 2017, which is no small feat.

Icons of Filth - The Mortarhate Projects
I don't understand why their full first release, which was a tape, isn't included here. Some of it is, and they have plenty of spare time on the disc. Great art and vibe, like many of those early anarcho-punk bands had. I like them most when they're full-on Discharge, but it's all good.

Social Insecurity
Such a great band from Edinburgh. Heavy punk. Even their newest albums are crushers. Crusty, but also very punky and metallic (ie not stenchcore).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:50 am 

White Reaper - The World's Best American Band

Thundering, confident rock and roll. Killer. I never gave this the right time or attention 3 years ago since the pandemic happened the week I bought it.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:38 pm 

Montrose - "Warner Brothers Presents Montrose"
I could just as easily have posted this in the metal forum. Steller, ballsy proto-metal featuring yet another 70s guitar hero, Ronnie Montrose.

The track 'Matriarch' kills.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 am 

Harmonia & Brian Eno - Atmosphere

Krautrock supergroup collaborates with Eno, felt like listening to this after revisiting Bowie's Low.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:45 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:

I think the debut Sisters album "First and Last and Always" is my favorite post-punk/gothic album out of all the ones I've heard. It just nails that ghostly and morbid atmosphere so damn well.

Is there a board that specializes in 80's indie? I know all the big names, but there must be hidden, lesser gems that weren't just offshoots of the bigger names. Even if it broadens the scope into post-punk, like The Sound etc, I'd like to know the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier bands that weren't on major labels.

Magazine - Real Life 1978
Magazine - Secondhand Daylight 1979
I like the 1979 album better, but at the time, I doubt that was the case. As I read about it now, it was considered less ambitious and arty, thus less interesting. I see it was even sometimes called Pink Floyd light. I can hear that, but I'm not listening to this stuff for a challenge.

Sad Lovers and Giants - Epic Garden Music 1982
This is just an amazing album. It's really that simple. You'll find a little of everything in here. The Cult, The Cure, The Smiths, and so on. It's an album you put on repeat.

Requiem in White - Of The Want Infinite 1993
Lots of layers. Kind of hard at times, but also elements of several types and levels. Hints of Kate Bush and Elizabeth Fraser. Has The Cure, The Cult, and all the things from 80's indie going for it.

Cindytalk - Camouflage Heart 1984
This album is challenging, but it isn't in that Peter Gabriel or Talking Heads sort of artiness. This is straight-up experimentalism out of early industrial culture. It kind of blows my mind that this was #22 on the UK Indie charts. I can do challenging when it isn't in that artsy fartsy land. Think a slightly more palatable early Cabaret Voltaire for an idea.

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry - Talk About The Weather 1982
I remember seeing this name around a lot. Even the early Relapse catalogues had their albums. I don't know anything about them. This is the kind of stuff that I know is out there that has slipped by my radar. Goth.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:03 am 

From First to Last - their "Dear Diary..." debut album in its entirety

More material from my screamo phase as a 14-year-old. This album is so much more accessible than its successor and much more in line with the typical musical style of screamo, but the drumming goes super hard compared to the bare minimum for screamo and Sonny Moore's singing, even when he was 16 at the time of this album, was such a cut above other screamo singers of the time. His voice isn't whiny or prissy like, say, the Underoath guy... it's just really high. Damn shame he had to quit on account of vocal damage.

anamelessghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pm 

Daft Punk - discovery
So chill

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm 

Chat Pile - God's Country 2022

This band is from Chicago, correct? Since they've been denied entry on this website, I guess I can talk about them here. I hear Godflesh and Swans. I've heard reference to Big Black (I wish), but I don't hear it in the music. While the music is good, if not very good, this band leans on the vocals. The lyrics might be too on the nose for some, but nevertheless, they are on the nose. I like this album. I might like this album a lot. When people call this post-rock, I realize I don't understand what post-rock is. Recommended.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:07 pm 

A Perfect Circle - The Noose

Life circumstances have me feeling this song more that I imagined I would when I decided to listen to A Perfect Circle today. That passive aggressive lyrical delivery that only Maynard can do sounds like it's speaking directly to me right now.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:06 am 

Samiam - 80 West

One of my favorite punk rock bands of all time.
They've got a new album coming out in a couple months. Listening to the last one they put out, "Trips" - loved it then, love it now.

ZenoMarx wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Is there a board that specializes in 80's indie? I know all the big names, but there must be hidden, lesser gems that weren't just offshoots of the bigger names. Even if it broadens the scope into post-punk, like The Sound etc, I'd like to know the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tier bands that weren't on major labels.

I don't think I can be much help here honestly. There used to be a couple deathrock and goth forums I posted at in the past but they're gone now, lol.
Rate Your Music has a lot of indie and post-punk fans, but it's not specifically catered to those genres.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:10 pm 

Blue Oyster Cult - Dominance And Submission

Classic occult hard rock/proto-metal

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 pm 

Missy Elliott - Funky Fresh Dressed

She has a flawless discography; endlessly forward-thinking, incomparable and full of whimsy (love when hip hoppers get whimsical) and inventiveness. This song goooooes! Ms. Jade's precision with the bars too...excellent!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 am 

American Football - Never Meant

It's time to cry and be sensitive now.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:44 am 

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:35 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

so great. have you heard the Beauty is a Rare Thing set? that period in chronological order of when each track was recorded, so all the tracks are in a different sequence than on the albums, plus unreleased takes. if you're used to the albums, it can be a little disorienting, but it is an amazing set and listen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_Is_a_Rare_Thing

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next