Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:36 pm 

Spoiler: show

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:39 pm 

The Last of Us S1E03 was incredible. I was ready to hate the series but so far it's only getting better.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:40 am 

I just finished Better Call Saul. It was great until they turned it into Breaking Bad 2. The cartel bits were uninteresting and some of the actors had an older, more haggard appearance. I get it, we get old but Gus was completely out of character and it kind of ruined the immersion for me. All in all, I get the same impression as with Breaking Bad, early seasons were a lot better and the ending was kind of lukewarm. I get that they want to show morally bankrupt characters but in the end I feel like the characters did stuff that had no justification and was implausible.

Maybe its just me but Jesse Pinkman and Walter White's appearances were almost comical. The characters were so distorted and exaggerated it felt hard to believe they weren't just shoehorned into the story for no reason at all.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:47 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I just finished Better Call Saul. It was great until they turned it into Breaking Bad 2. The cartel bits were uninteresting and some of the actors had an older, more haggard appearance. I get it, we get old but Gus was completely out of character and it kind of ruined the immersion for me. All in all, I get the same impression as with Breaking Bad, early seasons were a lot better and the ending was kind of lukewarm. I get that they want to show morally bankrupt characters but in the end I feel like the characters did stuff that had no justification and was implausible.

Maybe its just me but Jesse Pinkman and Walter White's appearances were almost comical. The characters were so distorted and exaggerated it felt hard to believe they weren't just shoehorned into the story for no reason at all.

I had the exact opposite experience watching it, personally. The only character who looked noticeably different was the Don down in Mexico. As for saying the cartel bits were uninteresting, I find that odd - I thought that Hector's character became 1,000x more interesting, and Mike's whole experience was one of the high points.

Then again, I also found Breaking Bad to be one of the few major shows that didn't lose quality at all, but got better and better right up until it ended (and exactly when it should have, instead of dragging itself on for longer).

I was pretty worried myself about how they were going to bring in Walter and Jesse, but I was pretty happy about how it turned out. It didn't feel shoehorned at all to me.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:01 am 

The Jesse and Walt scenes were just fun ways to revisit that world one last time I thought. I enjoyed it... I've come to not care as much if every scene isn't directly advancing a plotline. Can be good too if it's just a mood setter or cool to watch.

The finale, looking back, is probably one of my favorite endings to a show I've seen. Worked really well.

Love the way it sort of just shows you Jimmy doing all that stuff without much explanation - it's good character stuff. He made his choices.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:39 am 

Yeah I also had the exact opposite experience. I thought the slow descent into the cartel bits all the way to Breaking Bad was done incredibly well and believable, for all characters. The show got better and richer each season.

For me the older looking characters were only noticable during their first appearances. The only character I thought was lessened by the actor's increased age was Todd in El Camino. He didn't have the same sociopathic vibe and became a little bit too comical.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:49 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Yeah I also had the exact opposite experience. I thought the slow descent into the cartel bits all the way to Breaking Bad was done incredibly well and believable, for all characters. The show got better and richer each season.

For me the older looking characters were only noticable during their first appearances. The only character I thought was lessened by the actor's increased age was Todd in El Camino. He didn't have the same sociopathic vibe and became a little bit too comical.

The actor playing Todd gained at least 40 lbs and that's what blew it for me in El Camino. Production should have hired him a trainer.

I didn't think I was going to care much for The Last of Us, kind of burnt out on the whole zombie thing and not a fan of video game adaptions but damn that 3rd Ep had me in tears by the end. Just an incredible human story. Probably just a side to break up the monotony but I'll bet it is the best episode of the season.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:00 am 

pyratebastard wrote:
Then again, I also found Breaking Bad to be one of the few major shows that didn't lose quality at all, but got better and better right up until it ended (and exactly when it should have, instead of dragging itself on for longer).
Hell yeah, pyrate! One of the best shows ever, easily.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:31 am 

pyratebastard wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I had the exact opposite experience watching it, personally. The only character who looked noticeably different was the Don down in Mexico. As for saying the cartel bits were uninteresting, I find that odd - I thought that Hector's character became 1,000x more interesting, and Mike's whole experience was one of the high points.

I was pretty worried myself about how they were going to bring in Walter and Jesse, but I was pretty happy about how it turned out. It didn't feel shoehorned at all to me.

I agree with all of your thoughts. BB and BCS were both among the best shows I've ever seen and were great from start to finish.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:25 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I didn't think I was going to care much for The Last of Us, kind of burnt out on the whole zombie thing and not a fan of video game adaptions but damn that 3rd Ep had me in tears by the end. Just an incredible human story. Probably just a side to break up the monotony but I'll bet it is the best episode of the season.

Gravetemplar wrote:
The Last of Us S1E03 was incredible. I was ready to hate the series but so far it's only getting better.

Yep, E03 was an amazing bit of filmmaking, storytelling and acting. I was not expecting that Ep at all.
I played and loved the games and was super skeptical about it being adapted to TV but this series is ticking all the boxes and has been a great adaptation for me so far.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:29 pm 

I'm curious about The Last Of Us' third episode since everyone's talking about that. First episode was kind of a slog. Not terrible but not exciting either. Just sort of 'there' - felt very middle of the road.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm curious about The Last Of Us' third episode since everyone's talking about that. First episode was kind of a slog. Not terrible but not exciting either. Just sort of 'there' - felt very middle of the road.

It was incredible. Any opinions to the contrary are heavily homophobic. It was truly one of the best episodes of television that I've ever seen, and while it was the slightest departure from the game, I believe it added a ton of character and made the show it's own thing. So lovely, incredibly emotional. Frankly, I sobbed.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:46 pm 

I'll be sure to let you all know what I thought if I can make it through the second episode. Maybe sometime - not sure I was feeling this that much and don't have a lot of time these days.

Just caught a few episodes of the new show Shrinking - seems like a fun weird little comedy so far. Harrison Ford and Jason Segel are doing some good stuff.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:09 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It was incredible. Any opinions to the contrary are heavily homophobic.

And of course it's review bombed. There is something about TLoU that makes the chuds come out in numbers.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:57 pm 

I watched That '90s Show and liked it. I liked it that I finished the entire season in one sitting!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:54 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It was incredible. Any opinions to the contrary are heavily homophobic.

And of course it's review bombed. There is something about TLoU that makes the chuds come out in numbers.

Chuds/Anti-SJWs try not to hate on a show solely for having a gay couple challenge (impossible)

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:03 pm 

Severance and Andor were my 2 favorite shows of 2022. It's wild how good Andor is, especially compared to how bad Obi-Wan was.

Currently watching Servant and The Last of Us (as a non-game player). Enjoying both very much.

Season 4 of You starts today. Last season was pretty lame, but I'll still watch it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:30 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
Season 4 of You starts today. Last season was pretty lame, but I'll still watch it.

Girlfriend and I watched the first 2 episodes and we both like it so far.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:42 pm 

Kevin Can F**k Himself was cursed by only having a two season run, because the stride it hit in S2 was heading towards legendary status.

The finale, in particular, was amazing, particularly the final conversation between Allison and Kevin. The entire cast nailed it out of the pahk, khed.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:50 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
It's wild how good Andor is, especially compared to how bad Obi-Wan was.

It's been this way with all Disneywars material. Anything that's not a part of the mainline Skywalker saga or featuring familiar characters from the original movies is automatically better just by virtue of it being different. It was that way with Rogue One, it was that way with The Mandalorian. Andor takes it a step further, though, and lets us see the Empire when it was at its peak and what it did to make people hate it so much. It's a perspective we've never gotten before and that's why it's brilliant.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:41 pm 

Binged watched Last of Us and it feels like they put a whole season of Walking Dead into two episodes. Starting to wish I wouldve waited until the whole thing aired so I could binge it all.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am 

yeah the Last of Us has been great so far, that last episode was brutal

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:03 am 

My favorite TLoU episode so far, Pascal should get an emmy for that one.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:55 am 

Currently working my way through Season 3 of The Orville and it's pretty good so far. First four episodes were high quality, then Episode 5 knocked it out of the park. Some of the best TV in years.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:08 pm 

Currently watching old COPS seasons. I must be a sadistic bastard though as I love watching people lying and losing their dignity. Of course there are really sad stories and human dramas but seeing people saying that the pants they are wearing are not theirs and thus the drugs belongs to nobody is exhilarating.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:56 am 

I forgot how good Succession is. What an amazing premiere last night. Best show on television.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:09 pm 

It's brilliant. The dialogue just never stops delivering. Can't wait for more already.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:55 pm 

I can't believe how awful the acting is on Lucky Hank. I know this will ruffle some feathers, but Bob Odenkirk has never been much of an actor. He's visibly mechanical in every role. I liked both BB and BCS, and I liked BCS better than BB. With that character, you can watch him mechanically go through the motions too. He makes it feel like he's going through a map, and you can watch his brain following the trail. Just not natural or flowing at all. And then they teamed him up with another poor actress, Mireille Enos, who was in that terrible show The Killing that was also on AMC. As an ensemble, there's no chemistry with this group either. They get all these English profs together in their lounge, and again, nothing flows naturally. They're all hitting their marks, following strict timing, etc. Just gives off a really rigid vibe. The story is a real slog. So far, not a good show.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:52 am 

First two episodes of Rabbit Hole. Enjoying it so far. Some of the humor threw me off, but its probably cause Im so used to him in 24.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:53 am 

BEEF on Netflix is maybe my favorite thing this year so far, simmering tension, great fuckup characters, real raw humanity and humor.

Though SUCCESSION's probably gonna be really close.

YELLOWJACKETS - really fun so far. This show just throws all the paint at the wall in the most glorious way possible. A really entertaining trip of popcorn entertainment. Liking the trippier horror stuff they're doing so far.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:23 pm 

The latest Succession episode was just so nuts! One of the best episodes of the season so far, make that of the series, make that in TV history. It's that good. Awesome performances all across the different characters of the show.

The latest Mandalorian episode righted what was a flailing season so far. After that awful one-off episode with unnecessary big name cameos, the series goes back to its main story arc of the Mandalorians trying to reclaim their planet. Only to be surprised by one big baddie! I like how the Star Wars TV series tries to fill in the gaps of what eventually led to to the fall of the Republic and the rise of the First Order.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:13 pm 

Barry season 4 - This show can be hilarious but also sad at times.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:01 am 

Beef. Great series. I liked how the two storylines kept intertwining throughout the season. My girlfriend didn't like the ending, but I thought it was good. I'm not sure where they'd go if a 2nd season was created, but I'm not sure it needs it. The series wrapped up nicely.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:02 am 

Finally watched The Last of Us. I never played the game, so I couldn't go off that. The series was good. A couple of episodes dragged a bit, but overall it was enjoyable and worth a watch.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:55 am 

FUBAR. It was good regarding the comedic aspects and the action sequences (despite Arnie clearly not being in the physical shape needed for them), but was frequently bogged down by family/workplace drama that grinded any momentum to a halt. The series has been set up for a 2nd season. If one does materialise, I'm hopeful the dramatic side is toned way down.

Black Mirror, season 6. I've watched two episodes so far, "Joan is Awful" and "Loch Henry." The former was pretty good. The latter was merely okay.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:11 am 

Man I hated "Joan is Awful." Easily their worst episode.

Weird season overall. Doesn't seem like they really want to be doing this show anymore, honestly. I did like "Loch Henry" and "Demon 79" despite those being really different for this show - and "Beyond the Sea" was their most old school, quiet episode in a while. Nice dark drama.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:13 pm 

To be fair, I haven't watched a lot of Black Mirror, and I started with the infamous pig episode which soured my expectations for the show. To that end, I can't compare "Joan is Awful" to a lot of the other episodes, but I found it funny and interesting.

I think I'll have to go back and watch some other seasons and see how it all stacks up.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:22 pm 

Humor is so subjective. I really just found that ep so unfunny and bad. Bad comedy is bad in ways other things aren't a lot of the time - but it's different for everybody, sure.

The pig fucking one was a bizarre way to open but I liked it. Pretty provocative.

Try "The Entire History of You," "Be Right Back," "Playtest" or "Archangel" for the show's best ones I think.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:41 am 

Thanks mate. I'll give those ones a shot. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:21 pm 

Finshed FUBAR the other night...Id give it a 6/10. Really liked the ending.
Started Jack Ryan season 4. Off to a really good start.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182  Next