Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:30 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
Got Octopath Traveler preloaded and ready to go. So stoked.

The sequel, right?

I saw it's not a Switch exclusive. I always wanted to play the original, so I'll be getting this once the VR frenzy on my end dies down.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Fuck right off with saying harassment is justified for... playing a video game. Jesus Christ I always knew you were a moron with brain rot, but you truly have lost the plot here.

Even stupider is that this video game that will absolutely not move the needle in any way whatsoever with regards to JKR's wealth and power anyway, so frankly even the idea that you are a bad ally for not boycotting a specific product is a huge reach. It's not like you are financially contributing to a transphobic cause by buying that game, or contributing to a pro-trans cause by not buying it. It's like saying buying Call of Duty contributes to fuelling American propaganda and therefore you're enabling drone strikes, how dare you! You are now therefore an imperialistic pig and so let me harass you for peddling warmongering American propaganda and I am totally justified. :wanker:

While I think the harassment was stupid too, I guess I don't really see the difference here between not buying HL due to JKR's views and not buying a metal album because the musician behind it was pro-NS, for example (or for a more metal/trans rights relevant example, not supporting Absu after everything that happened with Proscription and Melissa). Even if there's a greater distance between her and the game on account of the game developers and their opposing viewpoints, the support is still rolling up to someone with pretty reprehensible views, and even if the money won't make a difference on account of her overall wealth, you could make the same argument about $5 on bandcamp not having an impact on some racist chud who wrote the album. At the end of the day it's the principle of the matter.

And obviously there's never going to be a way to get through consuming media/goods/whatever without indirectly supporting someone with scuzzy views. I'm positive that a lot of producers, game development teams, store owners, etc that I've supported have a lot of people like that that I and others will never be aware of, that's the nature of life. But when there's such a notable figurehead like this who's clearly laid everything out on the table, it feels a bit different to me.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 am 

If anything, Avalanche Software has proven that like other cultural phenomena like Star Wars and Marvel this universe has reached a scope beyond it's original creator and into the bigger popular culture spectrum. For the record there are gay people, people of all ethnicities imaginable and trans people in this game, clearly indicating that the developers acted out of love for the franchise and not to further some transphobe agenda set up by Rowling, who has fucking nothing to do with this game.

This is such a tired topic, though. Harrassment in any form is absolutely *not* okay. Playing a videogame is not harrassing someone, bullying someone (who most likely doesn't want anything to do with JK's opinions) for playing a video game *is* harrassing someone. It's not rocket science.

Anyway, I'm excited for Jedi Survivor and the RE4 remake :hyper:

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:08 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
theagentcoma wrote:
Got Octopath Traveler preloaded and ready to go. So stoked.

The sequel, right?

I saw it's not a Switch exclusive. I always wanted to play the original, so I'll be getting this once the VR frenzy on my end dies down.

Yeah #2, came out today. I'm about 4 hours in an obsessed.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:10 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
While I think the harassment was stupid too, I guess I don't really see the difference here between not buying HL due to JKR's views and not buying a metal album because the musician behind it was pro-NS, for example (or for a more metal/trans rights relevant example, not supporting Absu after everything that happened with Proscription and Melissa). Even if there's a greater distance between her and the game on account of the game developers and their opposing viewpoints, the support is still rolling up to someone with pretty reprehensible views, and even if the money won't make a difference on account of her overall wealth, you could make the same argument about $5 on bandcamp not having an impact on some racist chud who wrote the album. At the end of the day it's the principle of the matter.

And obviously there's never going to be a way to get through consuming media/goods/whatever without indirectly supporting someone with scuzzy views. I'm positive that a lot of producers, game development teams, store owners, etc that I've supported have a lot of people like that that I and others will never be aware of, that's the nature of life. But when there's such a notable figurehead like this who's clearly laid everything out on the table, it feels a bit different to me.

You'll note that I never said there was anything wrong with NOT buying the game out of personal choice, quite the contrary. So I don't really know what your point is with this post.

Big fucking difference between choosing to not buy a product out of principle, and harassing others for not making that same choice.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:10 am 

New FPS game RoboCop: Rogue City looks pretty good. I'm excited but will wait for proper gameplay.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:19 pm 

Damn that looks rough... PS3 graphics with current-gen lightning. Weird.
Fire walk with me"

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:29 pm 

I really liked the Terminator game they made, so I'll be buying the Robocop game on the first day like my stupid ass always does.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:02 pm 

losing sleep playing Octopath 2 lol

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:08 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I really liked the Terminator game they made, so I'll be buying the Robocop game on the first day like my stupid ass always does.

I at least try to look at demos and let's plays on YT before deciding whether or not I want to waste my hard earned cash on a game.

Also, on the topic of Terminator games...its absolutely absurd that it took this fucking long for a halfway decent Terminator game to get made. All of the ones that have been made prior were hot garbage

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:43 pm 

Cities: Skylines 2 has been announced, slated for release at some point in 2023. I've wasted many hours building cities and failing in the first one, so I'm keen to see how they go with the 2nd one. One of my more anticipated games of the year.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:02 am 

Dead Cells is the bee's knees. Castlevania is the bee's knees. The new Dead Cells DLC Return to Castlevania is double the bee's knees. Came out at the perfect time as I've been on a Metroidvania binge lately and having just completed Vigil: The Longest Night (solid 4/5) will need something new to play.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:22 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
Dead Cells is the bee's knees. Castlevania is the bee's knees. The new Dead Cells DLC Return to Castlevania is double the bee's knees. Came out at the perfect time as I've been on a Metroidvania binge lately and having just completed Vigil: The Longest Night (solid 4/5) will need something new to play.

Shit.

I forgot about the Castlevania DLC for Dead Cells. I definitely want that ish.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:44 pm 

Anyone else playing Wo Long? Any thoughts?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:39 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

I got it and played about an hour or so.

I've been busy getting my butt whooped by the first boss. I don't have the game mechanics down well enough yet.

Did you get past the first boss?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:19 pm 

Starfield has a release date now - September 9th, 2023.

I hope it's not a buggy mess on release, but we all know it will be. That said, I'm quite excited to see how this game turns out.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:00 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I've been busy getting my butt whooped by the first boss. I don't have the game mechanics down well enough yet.

It honestly took me longer than I was expecting. I'm on the third boss now and so far the first one was the most difficult. The game seems to be all about dodging the red attacks and that took me a while to realize. Boses tend to be a bit spongy if you don't use this tactic, regular enemies tend to be a lot more manageable.

The game improved when I realized I could dismiss my companions, they were always in the way.

So far I'm not having any of the issues people are reporting on my 3060 TI.

So far I'm enjoying it, it's a lot less goofy than the Nioh series.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:08 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Yes, and I am absolutely loving it. The combat is super fun and I really like the level design. Trying to find all the Battle/Marking flags is so much more satisfying than it has any right to be.

Gravetemplar wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I'm on the third boss now and so far the first one was the most difficult. The game seems to be all about dodging the red attacks and that took me a while to realize.

Actually you should be deflecting those attacks. It builds up the enemy Spirit meter and often leaves them open to finishers. There are a few mid/late game bosses where it's imperative to learn that you should be deflecting them. It's intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll feel like a god.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:15 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

It honestly took me longer than I was expecting. I'm on the third boss now and so far the first one was the most difficult. The game seems to be all about dodging the red attacks and that took me a while to realize. Boses tend to be a bit spongy if you don't use this tactic, regular enemies tend to be a lot more manageable.

The game improved when I realized I could dismiss my companions, they were always in the way.

So far I'm not having any of the issues people are reporting on my 3060 TI.

So far I'm enjoying it, it's a lot less goofy than the Nioh series.

Thank you for that little nugget of info. I did work on it a little at the training area the game provides for you, but I'll make it more a part of how I'm playing now.

What did you find goofy about Nioh in comparison to this game?

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:41 pm 

haven't played Wo Long but I've heard it's hard as hell

Also saw that Wargroove 2 was announced, that's awesome

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:43 pm 

Got back to Sekiro. I got stuck on Guadian Ape some months ago and shelved the game for a while. Managed to bring him down after another 7-8 attempts then got pissed by the ape duo not long after. Managed to slay them after I'd say 10 or so tries. Corrupted Monk in Mibu village took me 3 tries and I managed to kill Orin of the Water on my first try. Then I got wrecked by Owl on top of Ashina Castle... Will try him again tomorrow. I really really love that game, it might become my favorite Fromsoftware game, dethroning Bloodborne.
Fire walk with me"

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:44 am 

linkavitch wrote:

So I haven't played through Dead Cells thát much (only did one complete run) and I don't own any other DLC. Is accessing the Castlevania dlc convoluted/do I need to run half of the game first or is it pretty straightfoward? I love Castlevania but I don't feel like grinding hours of vanilla DC to get there.

Vigil is also on my wishlist, love the artstyle

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:13 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
linkavitch wrote:

So I haven't played through Dead Cells thát much (only did one complete run) and I don't own any other DLC. Is accessing the Castlevania dlc convoluted/do I need to run half of the game first or is it pretty straightfoward? I love Castlevania but I don't feel like grinding hours of vanilla DC to get there.

Vigil is also on my wishlist, love the artstyle

It's straightforward you can start it when you meet Richter in the prisoners' quarters shortly after starting a new run.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:45 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

I beat it last night (well, technically before that, but I completed all the post-game missions last night).

Great game. Not quite as awesome as the Niohs, and a downgrade in many ways that are a little irritating (production values, QoL, etc) -- clearly a more budget title than the Niohs were and just less polished overall.

But still tons of fun, basically TN's take on Sekiro, and the level design is cool too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:49 pm 

I'm nowhere close to beating it, but after beating the first boss and playing more this weekend I understand the game mechanics a lot more and am enjoying the game.

I feel like it could use a little more exploration and by that obviously, I have no idea what the fuck I mean, but it feels pretty linear.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:13 pm 

Has anyone checked out the official trailer for Life By You? Looks like it'll be a game that rivals The Sims (and hopefully crushes it) and looks like a wonderful time-waster. Early access will commence in September. I'm expecting a bit of jank but I'm very curious to see how this game turns out.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:11 am 

damn this superboss on Octopath 2 is a beast

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:10 pm 

Played through the Resident Evil 4 Remake this weekend and finished this morning. It was a super nostalgic trip with many new surprises as well. It looks amazing and some of the sections really shine with modern graphical improvements. The criticisms about control on consoles are valid, but they were easily fixed with a silly solution (turn aim acceleration to max and then adjust sensitivity). I never really worked on all the special feature content on Gamecube so I'm planning on tackling the challenges in this modern iteration.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:35 am 

Hunt the Night rules. It's Hyper Light Drifter mixed with Bloodborne aesthetics. Easiest sell ever.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:29 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I beat it last night (well, technically before that, but I completed all the post-game missions last night).

Great game. Not quite as awesome as the Niohs, and a downgrade in many ways that are a little irritating (production values, QoL, etc) -- clearly a more budget title than the Niohs were and just less polished overall.

But still tons of fun, basically TN's take on Sekiro, and the level design is cool too.

I can't believe how fast you ripped through this game.

I'm still working on it now.

Spoiler: show
I just beat Lu Bu for the 2nd time. The two fights with him have been by far the hardest boss fights in the game for me so far.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:44 am 

I can't beat Wo Long's first boss. I'm not a noob when it comes to these types of game and overall I found the parry window to be gentler than Sekiro, or at least I manage to get the timing much better, but I still had a hard time beating the first phase of the boss, and then he has a second phase... I'll probably give it a try again, I play it on GamePass so it's not like I wasted 90$ on a game.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:08 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
I can't beat Wo Long's first boss. I'm not a noob when it comes to these types of game and overall I found the parry window to be gentler than Sekiro, or at least I manage to get the timing much better, but I still had a hard time beating the first phase of the boss, and then he has a second phase... I'll probably give it a try again, I play it on GamePass so it's not like I wasted 90$ on a game.

I had a ton of issues with the first boss, also.

If you're anything like me, once you learn how to dodge critical strikes (glowing red attacks) from bosses and other enemies this game will become a lot more enjoyable.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:56 pm 

Give Vampire Survivors a try. Super fun stuff.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:44 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
If you're anything like me, once you learn how to dodge critical strikes (glowing red attacks) from bosses and other enemies this game will become a lot more enjoyable.

Maybe that's what you meant but to be cler, you need to parry the glowing red attacks, not dodge them.

But, to be honest, you should be attempting to parry most attacks.

Pro-tip: you can parry while holding the block button. If you mess up the timing of the parry you will therefore take NO damage, you'll just lose a bit of your spirit bar.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:52 am 

Yes, the first boss was the hardest for me too. Once I learned to parry (red button/circle) the game was more or less a walk in the park. Much easier than Nioh and Sekiro, I think I beat most bosses in the first 10 tries. Parrying is very satisfying though.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:15 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Maybe that's what you meant but to be cler, you need to parry the glowing red attacks, not dodge them.

But, to be honest, you should be attempting to parry most attacks.

Pro-tip: you can parry while holding the block button. If you mess up the timing of the parry you will therefore take NO damage, you'll just lose a bit of your spirit bar.

Oh that's a nice tip. I was always switching.

I may restart and try again. Once I'm done with Horizon's new expansion which releases tomorrow.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:00 am 

I finished Detroit: Become Human. So all my characters but one died and I missed entire missions because of that. Most of my decisions were wrong and I failed almost all my missions, particularly the ones with Connor. But that's the point. There's a lot of moral dilemmas they hit you with. It's going to get another playthrough to try other branches of the story. While is has a lot of QTE's - which isn't a favourite of gamers - and the actual amount of "game" isn't as much as it's very story-driven, I highly recommend it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:00 pm 

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to play a David Cage game

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 5:37 am 

Finally got the Switch to play Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The whole console feels outdated as fuck but I'd be lying if I said Breath of the Wild isn't a really cool and beautiful game. Also surprised by how many mechanics and stuff Elden Ring borrowed from it. Not saying that's a bad thing or anything.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:48 am 

Have fun, mate! Purely in terms of exploration, Breath of the Wild is still the most fun I've had in an open-world game. Yes, it has other flaws, but the sheer joy of exploring that map is a memory I'll always cherish. Tears of the Kingdom this Friday!!!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938 ... 940  Next