Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:18 am 

Wondering if you follow any music YouTubers that you'd recommend?

I do enjoy a bit of Finn McKenty (Punk Rock MBA) content and also Todd In The Shadows with his One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:30 am 

Pat Finnerty is my favorite music commentary YouTuber by far. He's kind of like the anti-music YouTuber: he constantly takes digs at and satirizes the community, does very long-form content that doesn't cater at all to the shortened TikTok/YouTube shorts type clips that usually do so well, and his channel is a goldmine of bizarre humor and inside jokes. Plus, he's got a knack for describing annoying musical things that everyone knows but just can't put to words.

For the technical side of music, I watch Kohlekeller Studio the most. I like the way he talks about recording metal music and how he goes about teaching it. These days he mostly focuses on promoting his premium content, but I don't really mind. I used to watch Spectre Sound Studios a lot, thinking the guy was hilarious, but his shtick got old pretty fast and his community is full of horribly toxic douchebags because, you know, assholes attract assholes.

I also used to watch Become the Knight a lot, but ever since he turned his channel into a platform for sketchy intellectual dark web libertarian type views, I've ditched his content.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:08 pm 

Sea of Tranquility for prog, rock, heavy metal content. Pete is a great host, and I do enjoy listening to the panel shows, with certain topics being especially enjoyable.

Anthony Fantano for general stuff. He's amusing, a great speaker, and I do appreciate his breadth of musical knowledge. I always come away with some kind of recommendation.

Various hip-hop ones like VladTV, Math Hoffa, Unique Access Entertainment, Big Face Gary, and MReckTV for the interviews. Kraze the King of Content has a series hosted by PMD (of EPMD) about important rappers like Slick Rick and Big Daddy Kane.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:45 am 

I like the Heavy Metallurgy channel and the streams they do each Friday are pretty fun sometimes. I tend to veer away from the bottomless pit of "vinyl colllector" channels but I'm a longtime fan of Brainsmasher, he's the exception.

For guitar stuff I like Dev Gohil and for general fun heavy music adjacent content I enjoy _crustbag_.

I'll also back Pat Finnerty. That guy is awesome and we seem to hate a lot of the same bands/songs haha.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:59 pm 

Listening to Andy Edwards rambling about prog rock for 30+ minutes is strangely enjoyable to me.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:30 am 

Bradley Hall amuses me, particularly because of this video:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:42 pm 

^I just discovered Bradley Hall not too long ago. Some of his stuff makes me laugh (I discovered him from that clip he edited of Paul McCartney and Rick Rubin listening to Cannibal Corpse which was perfect). Also, he's extremely talented at guitar.

Kmac2021. I wish Kmacavelli the lyrical machete would make more videos. He seems to have burned out.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:56 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:

I do enjoy a bit of Finn McKenty (Punk Rock MBA) content and also Todd In The Shadows with his One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords.

I generally find YouTubers to be shallow and tired. They'll often follow the same formulas, and very few of them actually add anything of substance.

To make money on YouTube, you need to treat it as a full time job. Only a small percentage of YouTubers actually make any money at all. And most of the ones that do need to put out content every day, or every few days, which leads to banal, lazy and predictable content. Lists, reaction videos, and the worst, commentary videos. I don't need to hear what a teen or a twenty something vain self indulgent narcissus thinks about anything.

This is what sets Todd apart. He puts out content around once a month, and most of his content is well researched, and his production quality is quite good. He doesn't get everything correct, but as far YouTubers go, he really is one of the best.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:20 pm 

The Surrealist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEgTkj ... kedW-sWBwA
Rejoin my soul with thine

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:40 am 

Fuck Punk Rock MBA. Most shit-tier musical opinions on the internet.

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:41 am 

https://www.youtube.com/@AdamSchnellenbachDEMONSCHNELL actually recommends decent shit.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:08 pm 

None of them.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:39 pm 

I'm into The Charismatic Voice (Elizabeth Zharoff). She's actually an opera singer but has been doing vocal analysis videos for a couple of years now and has branched out pretty heavily into metal stuff (Pantera, Opeth, Dio, Lorna Shore, Blind Guardian) and metal-adjacent (Deftones, System Of A Down, Tool). Some of it is a bit too focused on the vocals, but she doesn't ignore whole compositions either, and it's refreshing to see a "metal outsider" giving input on this stuff.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:39 pm 

I'm not really into many in all honesty, but I do like a decent amount of videos from these two channels:
Simon Smith, who makes videos really down to earth videos playing mostly black and death metal and sometimes plays acoustic versions of extreme metal songs, tutorials and a few lessons, the fact he's straight to the point and doesn't try to be flashy is what makes him good to watch for me. I just think too many of these guitar channels while entertaining sometimes, can get a bit too extra and show-offy, which can get old quick.

Goniloc takes a more humorous and sarcastic approach to his videos, while not being necessarily just comedy focused, his videos are essentially listening recommendations, but with a sillier twist in that while he talks about the music itself in an accurate manner and is a great way to find some new bands, the "backstories" he creates for the bands themselves are just made up bullshit, that may or may not be funny depending on ones' type of humor. I like most of it, though like any humor, it can be hit or miss, but even when it doesn't hit, it gets a pass because of his monotone delivery not making things cringy like a lot of channels tend to. He usually makes overviews of a band's discography (while "analysing" their cover art), a genre in metal or albums that came in a particular year. He tends to cite a lot of lesser known bands, which is made favorite aspect of his videos, since I can find some hidden gems that I wouldn't have known about.

Knobs makes videos about pedals, mostly on the experimental side of things and they're pretty enjoyable, I literally have nothing else to say, it's exactly just that.

In general, I tend to prefer listening to the music itself or watching documentaries (as long as they're good of course) and interviews instead of watching random people talking about music, which is why this list is kinda short. I do watch videos from other channels, but not nearly as consistently to mention them here.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:57 am 

Sea of Tranquillity's Pete Pardo is a walking encyclopaedia for prog music, and also knows a lot about metal music. There's no effects extravaganca happening in the videos, though. He's talking clear and is very listenable.

Sometimes he's got guests. Some topics I do go by without clicking, but there's so much stuff, that I still feel there's too much of it (it's just that I do not have time to watch everything I'd like to).

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:29 pm 

Lane wrote:
Sea of Tranquillity's Pete Pardo is a walking encyclopaedia for prog music, and also knows a lot about metal music. There's no effects extravaganca happening in the videos, though. He's talking clear and is very listenable.

Sometimes he's got guests. Some topics I do go by without clicking, but there's so much stuff, that I still feel there's too much of it (it's just that I do not have time to watch everything I'd like to).

Pete even has a channel about comic books. He really is great to listen to.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:59 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:

On my YouTube channel, my series Catalog Cripplers is essentially a metal version of Todd in the Shadows' Trainwreckords series. I admitted this in my first entry, where I discussed Celtic Frost - Cold Lake. He incorporates more humor into his sometimes, though, whereas mine is a bit more serious. Here are a few of the entries I've made in the series so far, if you're interested.

Celtic Frost - Cold Lake:

Massacre - Promise:

Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus:

Gladiator - Third Eye:

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:15 pm 

I find the majority of "metal personalities" (especially the comedians) on YouTube to be insufferable for one reason or another, but there are some I've come to rely on for quality content and recommendations.

The two which really stand out are Let's Talk Metal which is great for the old school stuff (especially N.W.O.B.H.M. type stuff), and Wyattxhim who has some genuinely funny skits as well as a lot of really informative extreme metal videos.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm 

Lane wrote:

He does know a lot but I lost interest in his content and haven't bothered in almost two years. It became apparent that he was just regurgitating the same topics in a different wrapper, over & over. Time is too limited to waste on that.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:33 pm 

Todd in the Shadows is great for breaking down hit songs and why they're either great or awful.

Lost in Vegas has some of my favorite reaction videos, and seeing them grow into metalheads has been a treat. Their disdain early on for bands they've since come to really love and appreciate as they break the music down and dissect everything from instrument tone to rhythm to lyrical content, regardless of genre, is something truly admirable.

Pagefire makes hilarious breakdowns of entire scenes, genres, and sub-genres...and those parodies are often 100% spot on. I love the post-punk and crust tunes.

I used to really enjoy Glenn from SMG, but so many of the videos boil down to "new metal sucks" before showing off songs he's had a hand in writing/recording, and they're all just so damn generic.

Lately, I've been really into Moonic Productions, a channel that specializes in "what if [ARTIST] wrote [SONG BY SOMEONE ELSE]" videos, but the kicker is that he's usually spot on. "If SLAYER Wrote 'LIVIN ON A PRAYER'" has no right to be that good.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:27 pm 

I actually like the Punk Rock MBA. He's coming from mostly a punk/hc background but listens to death metal as well. Mainly I just think he's funny and I find his insights into the business side of the music industry to be interesting. I also like the fact that he is NOT a born & bred metal freak because it's fun to see how the metal scene is viewed by hardcore/metalcore fans. He pokes fun at everything equally for the most part.

Also, BangerTV - mainly for their monthly Top 5 Underground release videos. I always find at least one new band from those each month. The guy has good taste and is pretty funny.

~Guest 1753690
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:24 am 

Farvann

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:52 pm 

check this out

ChaoMaster98
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:01 pm 

KDH is a pretty cool guy. I don't like his clickbait-y thumbnails, but the videos themselves are good. He has a nice, chill personality that's hard to find in a lot of YouTubers.

https://www.youtube.com/@KDH

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:41 pm 

~Guest 1753690 wrote:
Farvann

Fuck that poser.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:13 am 

Bandsplaining is great:
https://www.youtube.com/@Bandsplaining/featured

This guy makes videos about less known musical genres and curiosities.

Reply to topic