Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:12 pm 

A.F.K - Another Pair of Eyes 2022
I don't think I'd heard of this band. A German band doing Swedish HC with a pinch of street punk. The album before this is different and more street punk. Though not the same style, I kept thinking about Recharge; another German band that never got any notice or respect. I like this album. The production is a bit shrill. It's not noisy or lo-fi; more like the digital EQing is harsh and not dynamic. It has good energy, but I'd like to hear it with more depth and bottom end. Recommended.

Brain Tourniquet - the live set from the Saint Vitus Bar
Love that this venue invested in very good video quality and editing with quality soundboard recordings. I hope they're holding onto the wav files to offer someday. I like BT's EPs, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat, waiting for the next release. This sort of changed that. Every player in this band is great, and the drummer in particular is top notch. Furious show. The final song has an homage to Ginn/Black Flag part that is also cool.
https://youtu.be/0qfrL6hhjPc

Suffocating Madness - the live set from the Saint Vitus Bar
I'm not sure if I'd heard their 7", but this set is a good one. Maybe different members than the 7"? It could be the power of suggestion, but they sort of remind me of Ant-System. Really good band here. Looking forward to what they do next.
https://youtu.be/54uUrH8ObRQ

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:10 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

so great. have you heard the Beauty is a Rare Thing set? that period in chronological order of when each track was recorded, so all the tracks are in a different sequence than on the albums, plus unreleased takes. if you're used to the albums, it can be a little disorienting, but it is an amazing set and listen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_Is_a_Rare_Thing

No, I have not. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:52 am 

Mad Season - River of Deceit. Haunting but almost like a long lost friend calling you home.
Spoiler: show

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:06 pm 

Vivaldi: Concerti per Violino X 'Intorno a Pisendal' by Le Concert de la Loge & Julien Chauvin -- Phenomenal!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:13 pm 

King Crimson - Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind) (the DVD tracklist)

I've been listening to King Crimson for the past month like crazy. Most of their 70s stuff is just otherworldly.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:47 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
King Crimson - Radical Action (To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind) (the DVD tracklist)

I've been listening to King Crimson for the past month like crazy. Most of their 70s stuff is just otherworldly.

Absolutely. Just amazing. And improvising during their shows? A prog band? Ferocious band on every front.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:39 pm 

KMFDM - Naive

Super catchy electronic/industrial rock, nice music to vibe to for sure.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:07 pm 

Lately I've been listening to Madrugada, such an awesome band! Sivert Høyem must have one of the best baritones voices out there, graceful and emotive. Like a modern Chris Isaak tucking you to sleep

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:24 am 

Faust - Punkt

This is one of 3+ discs of unreleased material from an 8CD box set from a couple years ago, and it's all very good. This was also released on vinyl. Might be of interest to Hawkwind fans. One of the first krautrock bands I heard and contributed to my ongoing fascination with it.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:07 pm 

Turnstile - GLOW ON

Such a fun album. Moving to Texas from Florida in a few days and this will be the first album I blast in the U-Haul on the 17 hour drive.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:04 pm 

Ethel Cain - The Preacher's Daughter

What a beauty of an album, can't believe I'm so late to this one

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:21 pm 

Katy Perry - Part of Me
Rejoin my soul with thine

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:24 pm 

I've sort of run into a music wall the past month or so. My normal MO is to go down a rabbit hole, come up, find another one, go down, come up...repeat. Genuine passion and enthusiasm. I've been drudging through music for a few weeks now. Even with the stuff I've really enjoyed, I've found myself getting my fill relatively quickly and then bouncing from one thing to another. Take podcast breaks, but then I'm still bouncing around from this to that.

Buzzcocks - until a few months ago, I never listened to this band. Didn't even recognize album covers. Nothing. I started with their first 7", which I immediately thought was brilliant from first note to last note. The albums didn't hit me quite as hard, but the first one did hold my attention for the most part. They're so catchy, interestingly written, with smart layering of quality musicianship (not something I care about, but I noticed right away with them). I'm sort of a loss for words as to describe them. Sometimes, I'm thinking of how smartly everyone is playing that I'm thinking of them as proggy punk. Other times, I'm noticing how they're all off on their own tangents, but the mixing is so adept that Fleetwood Mac - Rumours comes to mind. Then I caught myself falsely thinking "the other albums can't be good. they must've changed and/or sold out to try to make some money." While the 2nd and 3rd albums aren't as snotty, they're still catchy, smart, quirky...just like the first 7" and first album. Every song is unique in its catchiness. They don't keep dipping into the same idea well. It's sort of nuts how progressive they are, all the while having this endless stream of sharp ideas. I can now understand how this band could be an all-time favorite or an all-out obsession. If you listen to an album, I don't know how you can't be thinking about it randomly hours later. The ideas stick like pine sap. I'd be surprised if Carl-Michael Eide (Ved Buens Ende/Virus) didn't listen to them a lot. I get hints here and there of similar ideas/structures/something.

The Apostles - the past couple of years I've been trying to fill in some gaps in my UK punk ignorance, which is a vast ignorance. I think I downloaded something a couple years ago, but I deleted it because it wasn't even worth the few mbs of space. My UK punk researching was low on steam, so it seemed like now would be a good time to explore The Apostles. The people who love them REALLY, REALLY love them. They hate punks. They hated punk. Kind of hard to take it all seriously with as negative as they seem to be, all the while functioning within that same despised system of things. Stylistically, they're all over the place. A good deal of what I've heard is rooted in inept blues takes. I'm not a big fan of blues to start, and inept blues doesn't fix that. I don't want to talk too much about a band as complex, as strange, and as "outsider" as The Apostles. I've only listened to a couple things, and they weren't immediate joys. I do think there's something interesting there, but it's more of an intellectual and curious pursuit than, "Man, this is amazing music!" It's a world, but it probably isn't going to be my world. Maybe it's the wrong time for me, or maybe this is a genie and a bottle that is difficult to crack 40 years later and out of context. I'm still playing in it. It's an odd one. I like it, but I don't love it.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:35 am 

Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

Fuck I love these. Been my night-time listening. I'll probably get Trespass and Foxtrot next.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:49 pm 

Ihsahn feat. Jonas Renkse - Dom andra [Kent cover]

I lived in Norway when Kent released Vapen & ammunition and "Dom andra" was a big hit that year. It's been one of my all-time favourite pop songs and since it's sung in Swedish, listening to the single and later the album taught me bits of that language. I was still learning Norwegian at the time, so it was interesting to see how the two differed.

And now Norwegian Ihsahn and Swedish Renkse have recorded this song together - mind blown! It's a really nice cover too, stays close to the original but just a bit heavier, just the way I like it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:26 am 

Blondie - Autoamerican

This whole thing is a really wild trip of jazz, pop, a lot of stuff. Adventurous but vibrant and smooth.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:42 am 

Kirka - The Spell

Kirka's second hard rock album. Slightly worse than the first one. Still some good songs. You Put the Spell On Me might be his best number.

He always sang with full force regardless of the genre. And he did sing probably about everything in the field of pop and rock. Always with full force. Total respect.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:58 pm 

boygenius - Not Strong Enough

This will probably be my album of the year, regardless of genre.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:27 am 

Natalie Bergman - Mercy

Sparse music, but it's quite good trancey, soulful psych folk stuff... very Christian but it's all from quite an honest place. A place of real sorrow and feeling. It's human stuff.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:47 pm 

Rise Against - Paper Wings

When it comes to the more mainstream side of 00s punk, I think "Siren Song of the Counter-Culture" is quite nice. Holds up well, musically and lyrically. Elements of skate punk (they started out on Fat Wreck Chords after all) and the post-hardcore of that particular era perfectly combined. Don't really like the direction they went in after the next album, but this one's still fun.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:22 pm 

I've been listening to Klaus Schulze - Kontinuum 2007 to sleep. The opening track, "Sequenzer (From 70 to 07)", is fantastic, vintage Schulze. I like everything about that album (cover art, color use...). I've played the early albums to death, but a lot of his latter albums got a single listen and filed away (instafile). I might as well be listening to them for the first time. They always have a track or two that's impressive. For instance, The Crime Of Suspense 2000 has "J.E.M.". In Blue 1995 has Manuel Gottsching (Ash Ra Tempel, Ash Ra) on the massive "Return Of The Tempel".

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:17 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Fuck I love these. Been my night-time listening. I'll probably get Trespass and Foxtrot next.

Great stuff. Their entire collection of 70s records were great, including the post-Gabriel and post-Hackett albums.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:47 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:
Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Great stuff. Their entire collection of 70s records were great, including the post-Gabriel and post-Hackett albums.

Thanks. I'm buying albums based on average scores on Prog Archives now, hah. They have gotten excellent scores until Wind & Wuthering.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:44 pm 

Scowl - Seeds to Sow

Most of their "How Flowers Grow" album is fast and angry hardcore punk, but this track is a Pixies-esque alt-rocker. I wouldn't mind a whole album of songs like this, they're good at it.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:46 am 

Hentai Corporation - 00420603545450 [EP]

Fell in love with these guys in Brutal Assault last year. Czech prog/avantgarde rock/metal, that has as much common with Mike Patton's various projects as with more classic prog rock from 70's. I personally think they are heavy enough to be included in The Archives, although they pretty much straddle the line, and could be considered prog rock or prog metal depending on the individual song, so I'm fine with them not being included here. Anyhow, excellent music that deserves to be more well known outside their home country.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:00 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:
Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Thanks. I'm buying albums based on average scores on Prog Archives now, hah. They have gotten excellent scores until Wind & Wuthering.

"Wind & Wuthering" is fantastic, IMO. Great, dark atmosphere on that one.
Also fantastic is "And Then There Were Three".

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am 

Alternative

This is a name I don't remember anyone ever mentioning, and their EP is on Crass Records. Not that I was out there starting conversations on early 80s UK anarcho punk, but it's weird that it has taken this long to run into them. You aren't going to see anyone wearing an Alternative T-shirt. A quality band forgotten in time. Like The Apostles, they have a couple vinyl releases, but most of their output was on cassette. It made me wonder how many of these anarcho bands were like that.

This band is very good. Makes it all the more strange. Good artwork, as you'd expect. Both the EP and LP are really good, and the How Dare You demo 1985 is also standout. I'm still working my way through what is available on their bandcamp and an extensive fan page, and unlike with The Apostles, the music hasn't been a slog. Recommended.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:59 pm 

Depeche Mode - A Question of Lust

Black Celebration was a different DM album for me the first time I heard it. It was darker than the usual synth pop that the band had been releasing at the time. This was the only track I liked as I was familiar with it as the local new wave radio station in my area played it a lot back then. More than 30 years later and I have a new found appreciation for this album. It may not have the familiar hit songs but it is a great album overall.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm 

Yes - singles from their upcoming album, "Mirror to the Sky".

One of the most influential prog bands out there. album #23 on it's way in out and so far the singles sound great.
Billy Sherwood has done a great job filling Chris Squire's shoes on bass guitar.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:44 am 

The Japanese House - Boyhood

New song for the first time in a long time and it's incredible

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:19 am 

The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?

This is one of my top 3 tracks from this band. Yeah, Morrissey can be an ass but I'm into the music and not the personalities within the band. The Smiths masterfully crafts music that combines the very tuneful melodies spun by guitarist Johnny Marr with the grim, sardonic lyrics of Morrissey. When I first heard them, I was taken by the sheer brilliance of the guitar melodies and then shocked by the lyrics. An ironic yet perfect match.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:55 am 

Yeah, it's not fair to look at The Smiths brilliance through a revisionist lens. One of my all-time favorite bands, and that isn't hyperbole. Both Morrissey and Marr went onto do solid things too. The first Morrissey album in particular, and Marr has made a couple of nice solo albums. Morrissey's work with Stephen Street is worth hearing.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:32 am 

Floor Jansen-Paragon

Floor Jansen’s pop album, which happens to be her debut solo album.

In a perfect world, this album would make her a megastar. Pop music with depth.
Obliteration

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:17 pm 

Alice Cooper - Give The Radio Back
AC/DC - Rising Power

the 80's, am I right?

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:32 pm 

Thursday - Between Rupture and Rapture

Yeah, this one still holds up for me. Perfect 00s post-hardcore.
Saw them play the whole "War All the Time" album in 2019... would do that again.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:12 pm 

T-Pain covering Black Sabbath is crazy!!!

I don't hate it though...

Metalhead_Chris
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:15 pm 

Not playing right now but was listening to the Alice in Chains album earlier Black Gives Way to Blue. Definitely in the top few of my favourite non-metal bands out there

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:24 pm 

Metalhead_Chris wrote:
Not playing right now but was listening to the Alice in Chains album earlier Black Gives Way to Blue. Definitely in the top few of my favourite non-metal bands out there

What a great reunion album. Probably one of the best reunion albums out there, and made against all odds without their iconic original singer too.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:38 pm 

Lenny Kravitz - It ain't over til it's over

Lenny Kravitz's 2000 Greatest Hits album is one of my earliest musical memories, and I remember perfectly how I loved the first 4 tracks and hated this one, always asking my parents to skip it. Now I think it's one of the best things he's ever done.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:14 am 

The Creatures - A Bestiary of...

This is a collection of the first couple of EPs and the first LP. Wife/husband project between Siouxsie Sioux and Budgie of Siouxsie and the Banshees. Basically, massive percussion with her vocals. It works really well, but that's to be expected. He's a very musical drummer. Great morning music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next