I practice:

Tai Chi
Kung Fu
Yoga
Meditation

Soccer
Basketball
Tennis

And of course - MUSIC. The mother of all arts. Playing Guitar for 19 Years.
u?
Rejoin my soul with thine

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:07 am 

I haven't been able to train for the past few years due to covid and living with someone with underlying conditions (working on saving up for a new place) but I've trained in martial arts on and off throughout my life.

My core art is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and I have a brown belt in that and have competed in over 100 tournament matches. I've got a 2nd degree brown belt in Kenpo, Karate and have cross trained and dabbled a little bit here and there in boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling and MMA training with some pretty skilled fighters.

I honestly don't like most other sports. I lift weights (really it's physical therapy for injuries from BJJ), do the Wim Hof Method (a mixture of breathing exercises, cold showers, ice baths and yoga...and I find it to be a HIGHLY beneficial spiritual practice), and I played 2 seasons of Rugby in college, but we were so bad our only accomplishment was being on the field at all lol.

I played 7 years of guitar when i was younger and had a 2 man metal band in college for about 2 years, but we only played one show and I messed up our closing song while playing live which was mildly embarrassing. Worst part is we had a drum machine going which I felt made it even harder to catch up once I started playing the riffs wrong. I remember I said to my friend "well, at least I played our most complex song perfectly" and he's like "yeah, but you messed up our simplest song" lol. I like to think on the upside, because I wrote the majority of riffs in that one song and I was pretty happy I nailed it. Too bad only like 10 people were watching when I played that one and like 100 when I totally messed up our closer haha. We sounded kind of like The Berzerker with Carcass and Entombed type influences. I haven't had the nerve to pick up my guitar in years though. Just lost the passion. If I could get a good teacher to help me learn metal I might be able to pick it up again.

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:12 am 

Boxing, if that counts as a "martial art". And I lift weights. And play drums.

Spiritually you could call me a Neoplatonist and perennialist, but really I just consider myself a pagan theist. As for spiritual practices, I don't do much of them anymore—at least not formally. I have in the past. These days I'm more concerned with studying pagan philosophy, specifically the works of Plotinus and Proclus.

All of these do meld together, for me at least. I get ultra-consumed by abstract metaphysics that I need to balance things out with visceral work, and nothing puts you in the moment like sparring someone in the ring. Drumming is sort of the middle ground for me in that it's still an abstract thing but also forces me to be really present.

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:34 pm 

I'm also a BJJ brown belt. Been practising the sport for 11 years now. Competing isn't my thing though. Only did it as a white belt. Probably around a 50/50 win/loss record across 10-12 matches. I don't enjoy the whole process around competing and I'm also not very good at it so I stopped. It would be tough to pick it up again now at brown belt level. I suspect I would have a really tough time. I love sparring though and I train 3 times a week. When I can I cross train Judo as well but haven for a year and a half (schedules that won't meet).

I also recently started to lift weights. I'm still figuring it out so I lift quite light but I try to get to the gym 2 times a week.

I'm very interested in religious and philosophical matters though not a practitioner myself. My main interest lies in Asian religions, particularly Chinese and Indian. It's metaphysics appeals to me. I've always been a thinker rather than a doer - that's my nature.

I used to be a musician as well. Played in bands for 18 years (started young) and the music in one of them I really enjoy to this day. We did release a few albums and did some gigs abroad but it was mostly on a hobby level. Nowadays my playing is so sporadic I've lost a lot of skill.

KAMIKAZE OMEGA wrote:
Spiritually you could call me a Neoplatonist and perennialist, but really I just consider myself a pagan theist. As for spiritual practices, I don't do much of them anymore—at least not formally. I have in the past. These days I'm more concerned with studying pagan philosophy, specifically the works of Plotinus and Proclus.

Interesting. I've had an interest in perennial religion and philosophy (though I'm by no means an expert). What are your main influences?

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:11 pm 

There's a spirituality thread on Page 2, but just to repeat and add to some things I said there...

I'm not as serious about physical activity as I'd like to be. Just some occasional weights and an exercise bike at home - my work makes it a little too tricky to get out and walk on a more regular basis. It's hard to stay motivated; it's like 20% enjoyable, 80% a chore.

A friend has encouraged me to get a little more serious about meditation, after some half-hearted attempts in years past. He recommended me a book called Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris (author of 10% Happier, TV journalist famous for an on-air panic attack). I purchased that as well as an interesting-looking book called Zen Therapy: Transcending the Sorrows of the Human Mind by David Brazier.

I have some background in philosophy, and still like to study the historical figures. Currently working on Pascal (very underrated IMO and dark as hell - reputation unfairly tarnished by association with silly "wager" arguments). Have yet to get very far with the Neoplatonists, though I am proud to say I finished Plato's Parmenides, which I think served as inspiration for their metaphysics - though interestingly, there are some modern scholars who think the work was an elaborate satire.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:45 pm 

dike wrote:
I'm also a BJJ brown belt. Been practising the sport for 11 years now. Competing isn't my thing though. Only did it as a white belt. Probably around a 50/50 win/loss record across 10-12 matches. I don't enjoy the whole process around competing and I'm also not very good at it so I stopped. It would be tough to pick it up again now at brown belt level. I suspect I would have a really tough time. I love sparring though and I train 3 times a week. When I can I cross train Judo as well but haven for a year and a half (schedules that won't meet).

I also recently started to lift weights. I'm still figuring it out so I lift quite light but I try to get to the gym 2 times a week.

I'm very interested in religious and philosophical matters though not a practitioner myself. My main interest lies in Asian religions, particularly Chinese and Indian. It's metaphysics appeals to me. I've always been a thinker rather than a doer - that's my nature.

I used to be a musician as well. Played in bands for 18 years (started young) and the music in one of them I really enjoy to this day. We did release a few albums and did some gigs abroad but it was mostly on a hobby level. Nowadays my playing is so sporadic I've lost a lot of skill.

KAMIKAZE OMEGA wrote:

Interesting. I've had an interest in perennial religion and philosophy (though I'm by no means an expert). What are your main influences?

That's awesome that you also train BJJ.

I guess there's no specific need to compete. I mean, at my school we do tend to think it's important and for me it's something I've always loved, but hard rolling and drilling will get you good in the end, and to get to our level takes a lot of work.

I had a lot of injuries so it's been 10 years since I've competed but I hope to again.

I assume you probably do more Gi than no-gi? Most schools do, but I do more no-gi (well, when I could train, which I haven't been able to since covid began for the reasons I already mentioned) and my school is a very MMA and no-gi oriented one.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:34 am 

I studied Japanese Goju-Ryu karate for three years as a kid, but stopped doing it to take up running in high school and was on the team. I kind of wish I had stuck with it though. These days I mostly enjoy snowboarding, biking and hiking for excercise in my old age.
I play guitar but I'm no virtuoso and I've never played in any serious band (only in a couple unserious garage band/jam session type things.) As far as spirituality, I'm mainstream Christian but I kinda hesitate to say that, because these days, that can mean a lot of things that aren't really what I would necessarily call positive- in other words, no; I did NOT support Donald Trump, I don't hate GLBT people, don't go around trying to outlaw contraception, etc.

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:36 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

I guess there's no specific need to compete. I mean, at my school we do tend to think it's important and for me it's something I've always loved, but hard rolling and drilling will get you good in the end, and to get to our level takes a lot of work.

I had a lot of injuries so it's been 10 years since I've competed but I hope to again.

I assume you probably do more Gi than no-gi? Most schools do, but I do more no-gi (well, when I could train, which I haven't been able to since covid began for the reasons I already mentioned) and my school is a very MMA and no-gi oriented one.

My club is mostly focused on children's classes. The adult classes are mostly people 30+ or even 35+ (often the parents to the children in the club). We are very weak in the 16-30 age gap which is one reason few of us compete. When I did compete I did learn a lot (mostly from losing) but it's just not my thing. And if I started again now I'd get slaughtered :)

We do mostly gi training. We have a no-gi class which I have attended here and there in the past but its never been a focus.

I'm probably a brown belt because of my technique because I'm not very dominant in rolls. Although I haven't really rolled outside my home club for 4 years so that's a reason. We know eachothers games and the rolls may not be as giving as they are when you try yourself against new people all the time. But it's a nice place, I like it, and it's the closest one to home and that in itself is important.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 pm 

dike wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

My club is mostly focused on children's classes. The adult classes are mostly people 30+ or even 35+ (often the parents to the children in the club). We are very weak in the 16-30 age gap which is one reason few of us compete. When I did compete I did learn a lot (mostly from losing) but it's just not my thing. And if I started again now I'd get slaughtered :)

We do mostly gi training. We have a no-gi class which I have attended here and there in the past but its never been a focus.

I'm probably a brown belt because of my technique because I'm not very dominant in rolls. Although I haven't really rolled outside my home club for 4 years so that's a reason. We know eachothers games and the rolls may not be as giving as they are when you try yourself against new people all the time. But it's a nice place, I like it, and it's the closest one to home and that in itself is important.

Yeah, your school is very different from mine. We have many people in their 20s, 30s and 40s, even some 50 and older.

I sympathize with getting to know people's games and that getting stale, but due to living with someone with underlying conditions and covid still going on and me not being able to afford a new place yet i haven't trained in years, so by the time I get back there will be new people and people I used to train with who will have elements to their game I'm not familiar with.

It's probably gonna suck at first, but I hope to be able to get back to it as soon as possible.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:57 pm 

Yoga every morning, followed by a 20 minute walk to the gym - where I run 5 miles, do a spin class and some light weight training, followed by walking home.

In the summers I play in a Slo Pitch league/tournaments throughout the summer.

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:30 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Yeah, your school is very different from mine. We have many people in their 20s, 30s and 40s, even some 50 and older.

I sympathize with getting to know people's games and that getting stale, but due to living with someone with underlying conditions and covid still going on and me not being able to afford a new place yet i haven't trained in years, so by the time I get back there will be new people and people I used to train with who will have elements to their game I'm not familiar with.

It's probably gonna suck at first, but I hope to be able to get back to it as soon as possible.

Still effected by covid? Is the person at risk even though there's vaccines?

Anyway, hope you'll get started again soon. A good BJJ roll is among the best things in life. For me it's one of the few times where I can block out everything else. It works like a physical meditation of sorts.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:27 pm 

dike wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Still effected by covid? Is the person at risk even though there's vaccines?

Anyway, hope you'll get started again soon. A good BJJ roll is among the best things in life. For me it's one of the few times where I can block out everything else. It works like a physical meditation of sorts.

Yes. My dad has kidney damage so even despite the fact that he's vaccinated, he's still at pretty serious risk if he gets sick.

Yeah, seriously. Losing myself in a good rolling session or tournament match is one of the best feelings in life. I've always felt like my love for martial arts and metal went hand in hand because both are such great outlets for aggression and pent up energy.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:57 pm 

I started doing karate when I was 9 and did it for many years until 2017 when I moved and going to the dojo wasn't feasible anymore. When I first went to university I took up kendo and I've done it on and off since then. For a time I did karate and kendo concurrently but since 2017 I have focused on kendo exclusively. Due to the pandemic and a back injury I wasn't able to practise from early 2020 to September 2022, so I've been back now for about 6 months. My current goal is to grade for sandan (3rd degree black belt in other martial arts, though we don't wear belts) in June. I'm 3 years overdue for grading now because of the time I had to spend away.

BillyR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:30 am 

Long time Muay Thai guy here. In my late teens/early 20's i turned pro, had a unbeaten 8-0 record. Sadly work got more and more in the way. These days ill still train whenever i can or get down for some sparring sessions.

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
I started doing karate when I was 9 and did it for many years until 2017 when I moved and going to the dojo wasn't feasible anymore. When I first went to university I took up kendo and I've done it on and off since then. For a time I did karate and kendo concurrently but since 2017 I have focused on kendo exclusively. Due to the pandemic and a back injury I wasn't able to practise from early 2020 to September 2022, so I've been back now for about 6 months. My current goal is to grade for sandan (3rd degree black belt in other martial arts, though we don't wear belts) in June. I'm 3 years overdue for grading now because of the time I had to spend away.

Kendo is intriguing, although I don't know much about it. The closest I've come is the film Ken from 1964. Very good! As a child I wanted to start doing kendo, I believe we had a club nearby but it never happened. I started doing Judo for a short while instead.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:16 am 

draconiondevil wrote:

Awesome. I do kendo too. Good luck on your grading in June. Sent you a PM, hope that's OK.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:19 am 

Morrigan wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

Awesome. I do kendo too. Good luck on your grading in June. Sent you a PM, hope that's OK.

I just saw your message, I'll reply privately.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:20 am 

dike wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

Kendo is intriguing, although I don't know much about it. The closest I've come is the film Ken from 1964. Very good! As a child I wanted to start doing kendo, I believe we had a club nearby but it never happened. I started doing Judo for a short while instead.

It's definitely a very "different" martial art if you're used to karate/judo/etc. That was the main appeal to me, since I wanted to try a new martial art that's completely different from what I was used to. It turned out I ended up liking it more than what I had been doing.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:10 am 

I practiced and played Capoeira for many years in my 20's and 30's but being a skateboarder from teens to late 30's has really taken toll funds from my knees and now I walk daily and do body weight shite. I miss Capoeira as it was really fun and is a really good workout too.
It's still in my heart and I respect martial artists a lot.

Reply to topic