Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Hunt the Night rules. It's Hyper Light Drifter mixed with Bloodborne aesthetics. Easiest sell ever.

Where the hell have you been??

How's Hunt the Night going?

It sounds interesting.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:17 am 

Razakel wrote:
Have fun, mate! Purely in terms of exploration, Breath of the Wild is still the most fun I've had in an open-world game. Yes, it has other flaws, but the sheer joy of exploring that map is a memory I'll always cherish. Tears of the Kingdom this Friday!!!

I'm having a blast, even though it has some flaws as you say. The weapon durability system fucking sucks and I'm not the biggest fan of being half the game climbing.

Krakenn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:18 am 

Hey, I'd like to tell you about a game I played a lot when I was younger: Infernal. This game from 2007 is honestly not well known, but I'm sure I'll find someone who played it too. The graphics were amazing for the time and the gameplay was very rich. You played as a fallen angel who had to fight demons and others. There was a dark, demonic and rather futuristic atmosphere: the protagonist, Ryan Lennox, dressed in black techwear clothes reminding a bit of today's cyberpunk, having supernatural powers such as teleportation and soul aspiration... I loved this game so much.

Did someone here play it when he was younger? I'm super nostalgic for this game.

Last edited by Krakenn on Sat May 27, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:55 pm 

Why does this last post read like it was made in ChatGPT -_-

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:48 pm 

It's a Spanish to English Google translation (I'm a native Spanish speaker)

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:22 am 

I've been in a DS/3DS mood lately and haven't played the Switch in about a month.

The DS/3DS was a very good family of systems and I love their features. Last year I played Pokémon Black and loved it. A shame the sequel seems to be so expensive online.

Been going to stores that sell used games and other stuff and always take a look at the DS/3DS section. It's usually one of the smallest ones and it's usually full of filler and crap games sure, but very occasionally I find something good. Like Pokémon Black, Story of Seasons or Professor Layton.

Krakenn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:32 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
It's a Spanish to English Google translation (I'm a native Spanish speaker)

Almost! I'm actually French, sorry if I sound too formal, I'm practicing my english. If I sound like ChatGPT, then I'm not too bad, but yeah, I still have a lot of progress to do. :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:42 am 

Sorry, we had too many new accounts that were from bots (you won't see them 'cause they don't get past the approval stage) that I start seeing them everywhere. >_<

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:14 am 

The schadenfreude I'm getting from watching and reading reviews of Lord of the Rings: Gollum is giving me some remorseful pleasure. I was never going to play it anyway, but the negative backlash has been more amusing than any gameplay could've mustered.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:12 am 

I love when bad games aren't just bad, they're actually terrible. A catastrophe is at least entertaining, while a mediocre, boring game will fade into obscurity. I think everyone will remember how Redfall and Gollum failed so spectacularly.

In the case of Redfall, it's incredible how shallow the gameplay is. Even if it ran better and was free of bugs, it feels like they wasted the whole concept. I watched a video (SkillUp, I think) who showcased a mission where he had to go into a theatre to recover something. There was a lone enemy there. Then he had to go into the basement to look for a part. Then go back up. No challenge involved, just a menial task. It was astonishing how Arkane could make such a terrible, boring mission.

In the case of Gollum, the concept was never sound to begin with. Gollum is a weird, WEIRD choice as a character. There are weirder characters in video games, like a literal cat for instance, but Gollum is a known entity. He's a wretch, almost an animal in nature, a pathetic creature who shows strength only when it comes to his precious. But stranger things have happened, maybe it could have been a decent, weird piece of a game? Nah, they didn't even manage that, they failed spectacularly.

On the other hand I've been enjoying Diablo 4. People are already complaining about endgame, but I see no reason to rush. I'm trying to go in blind, not looking into builds, and I like the atmosphere and the story so far (apparently it takes a nose dive, but the early chapters are at least better than the abomination that was D3's story, and at least they're told more competently). Maybe my opinion will change once I reach the endgame, but I suspect I'll want to start a new character as soon as I finish the campaign, so...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:53 am 

Some of you may have already seen this, but it's a 45 minute deep dive into the different aspects of Starfield. I understand pre-ordering games is quite a risk these days - especially for games of this magnitude, ambition, and cost - but I can't deny that I'm pretty hyped.

-----

Also came across a game called Ferocious. From the limited gameplay here, it looks like an FPS that's a mixture between Far Cry and Turok, with some Ark and a clear inspiration from Jurassic Park. No release date planned yet but this is a game I'm keeping an eye on for sure.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:17 pm 

Yesterday and today revealed a lot of nice games:

South of Midnight, a sort of magic monster hunting game in the Deep South (don't know many games with that particular aesthetic)

Path of the Goddess, a trippy and colorful game about a fight between spirits and mortals in Japan

Metaphor, a sort-of Persona game (it looks like it's a new Persona in anything but name)

Star Wars Outlaws, the Ubisoft Star Wars game that looks really cool

And we got to see Fable (well, a cutscene, but they seem to have captured the spirit), the Avatar game (sorry anime fans, it's James Cameron's Avatar, no element bending), and a bunch of other titles that ranged from potential killers (did they manage to do a good Lords of the Fallen?) to simply intriguing (Avowed).

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:51 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I've been in a DS/3DS mood lately and haven't played the Switch in about a month.

The DS/3DS was a very good family of systems and I love their features. Last year I played Pokémon Black and loved it. A shame the sequel seems to be so expensive online.

Been going to stores that sell used games and other stuff and always take a look at the DS/3DS section. It's usually one of the smallest ones and it's usually full of filler and crap games sure, but very occasionally I find something good. Like Pokémon Black, Story of Seasons or Professor Layton.

Pokemon Black/White are great. Really liked the way they left the old monsters inaccessible until post game.

Would recommend the third Layton game as well.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:02 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Yesterday and today revealed a lot of nice games:

South of Midnight, a sort of magic monster hunting game in the Deep South (don't know many games with that particular aesthetic)

Here's a trailer i just watched after reading what you wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z-8Y8r5ss

Too bad for me it looks like an Xbox exclusive.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:51 pm 

Anyone else playing Diablo IV?

It still feels like Diablo, but I'm enjoying the couple hours I've played.

The Third was a disappointment IMO.

The story so far has been interesting. Hopefully, it stays that way because the game play is still mashing the attack button at incoming hordes of enemies.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:28 pm 

I am. I finished the campaign, it was fun. Now I'm leveling alts and slowly moving towards Tier 3. So far better than 3, but apparently at high levels, the balance is a bit out of whack. I'm not too worried since FFXVI is going to take my attention away, and I'm still far from that.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:35 pm 

Which character are you using? I'm using a Sorceror.

I haven't given a shit about a Final Fantasy game in over twenty years, but I saw some gameplay of the new one and it looked alright.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:10 am 

My main is a druid, I'm playing a firewall sorcerer alt right now, but I'm still only around level 20 with this one.

I recently switched to werewolf druid and it's quite fun, apparently it's not the best build but IDK, I have everything: move, CC, regen, single target and multi target damage.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:20 pm 

I just finished the main story of final fantasy 16, and gotta say I enjoyed it a good bit. Haven't decided how much effort I'll put into doing the side stuff yet though.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:33 pm 

I finished the DLC for The Callisto Protocol last night. I understand the game in general got mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it. One part of the DLC kept crashing for me, but thankfully was able to get past it. The end of the game doesn't seem like it's set up for a sequel, so it could just be a stand-alone game. That's fine for me. Not everything needs sequels. I had a lot of fun with this game.

Now currently in the thick of Cyberpunk 2077. I want to finish it before the DLC comes out in September.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:22 pm 

I don't think anyone has mentioned this game in here, but Marvel Midnight Suns is probably gonna be a Top 5 game of the year for me.

I'll admit there's tedious shit you need to do in the game (building friendship levels with Superhero characters), but if you liked the XCOM games I don't see how you wouldn't like this. I was very skeptical due to it looking like a card game, but the cards are just a fun way of randomizing the combat. The story is great in my opinion and the combat and leveling up characters is extremely addictive in my opinion.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:42 am 

I,m playing Commandos 2 hd remaster.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:31 pm 

I've been sucked into the Final Fantasy XIV vortex.

I may never reemerge.

Farewell, my friends.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:14 pm 

I gave up on Final Fantasy after FFVIII. Way too many cutscenes and non gameplay going on.

I saw a brief glimpse of some combat from the new one and it looked kind of interesting.

Is it still bogged down with cutscenes?

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:41 pm 

There are a lot of cutscenes. The game is super fun but some battles do drag on for far too long; there are these super epic boss fights that taker multiple phases, and bosses have too much health, it becomes a bit of an endurance test, and it does drag the game quite a bit for me, because regular fights and especially regular bosses are super fun. At least the music is super good during the boss fights, makes it bearable.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:27 pm 

Far Cry: Primal

Just finished the main story of the campaign. So only about 55% of the overall content, but that's fine. Actually my first Far Cry game. Enjoyed it. Onto Far Cry 4 now.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:42 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I've been sucked into the Final Fantasy XIV vortex.

I may never reemerge.

Farewell, my friends.

This is a large part of the reason I was mostly absent here for like two years, and if I never would've cancelled due to financial trouble I'd probably still be mostly gone.

Live by the Duty Roulette, die by the seventeen jillionth run through the Aurum Vale. o7
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:47 am 

I played FFXIV for about 40 hours and it never even remotely started becoming fun. What keeps y'all coming back?

Meanwhile I could start my tenth playthrough of any Soulsborne game tomorrow and love it just as much as the first time.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:21 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I played FFXIV for about 40 hours and it never even remotely started becoming fun. What keeps y'all coming back?

The story. It got good in Heavensward, was cool in Stormblood, and was excellent in Shadowbringers. I'm going through Endwalker now, and it's still pretty fuckin' rad.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:48 pm 

Playing Arma 3 - Spearhead 1944 cdlc.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:52 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Metal_Detector wrote:

The story. It got good in Heavensward, was cool in Stormblood, and was excellent in Shadowbringers. I'm going through Endwalker now, and it's still pretty fuckin' rad.

A Realm Reborn rapidly slingshots between the boringest slog imaginable and some of the most wildly on-edge storytelling before settling into the actual boringest slog through the 2.X patches. Heavensward is a million times better than the second half of ARR but in hindsight is actually a filler arc. Only like three plot elements truly matter going forward and most of them are pretty tertiary (the introduction of Estinien being the important part), and the story itself is an ultra basic knights vs dragons story that does eventually get good but takes forever to do so, but it's so exciting to finally go somewhere else and do other things after 2.X that it feels like a breath of fresh air that lasts for weeks. Stormblood is both incredible and awful at the same time (like the central character does pretty much nothing at all herself but the 4.0 characterization of Zenos is one of the best FF villains of all time) and, as is the usual, the 4.X bits were mostly awful. Shadowbringers would be like the third or fourth best game in the entire franchise if it was a standalone game, and 5.X is less bad than usual but still markedly worse than 5.0. Endwalker is fine but has so many completely insane shark jumps that I was honestly kinda over it by the end. It's still good but it is the Escape from L.A. to Shadowbringers's Escape from New York and boy does it show.

What kept me going back? Being a huge loser mostly.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:50 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I gave up on Final Fantasy after FFVIII. Way too many cutscenes and non gameplay going on.

I saw a brief glimpse of some combat from the new one and it looked kind of interesting.

Oh, it has more cut scenes than ever.

There's a demo on PSN if you want to try it, it's 90% cut scene (poorly written ones too with extremely cringy dialogue) and the rest of the gameplay is walking around, button mashing, or QTEs.

My expectations for FF have been at rock bottom but this was particularly awful.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:19 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

Just finished the main story of the campaign. So only about 55% of the overall content, but that's fine. Actually my first Far Cry game. Enjoyed it. Onto Far Cry 4 now.

I haven't played Primal, but I did play Far Cry 4 and enjoyed it a lot. Hope you do, as well. I'm going to start Far Cry 5 soon.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:33 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I haven't played Primal, but I did play Far Cry 4 and enjoyed it a lot. Hope you do, as well. I'm going to start Far Cry 5 soon.

Primal is cool as fuck i think.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:52 am 

I finished the Bioshock collection recently. All 3 games were fun but Infinite was the best. One aged poorly, this was praised for its immersion but its just really loud and dark. Still fun to zap people and blow people up though (3.5/5). Two was more of the same, few different weapons and the big sister enemy was alright but got stale by the end (2.5/5). Infinite has the best gunplay of the 3 and I liked the city in the clouds setting, and it was fun blowing enemies off the buildings to their deaths. This one suffers from the plot being dragged out too long. I would say the final 20% of the game is just dumb nonsense for the sake of continuing the game. Overall still a fun game (4/5).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:52 pm 

The last 20% of Bioshcok is what makes it great imho. Everything makes perfect sense...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:13 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

There's a demo on PSN if you want to try it, it's 90% cut scene (poorly written ones too with extremely cringy dialogue) and the rest of the gameplay is walking around, button mashing, or QTEs.

My expectations for FF have been at rock bottom but this was particularly awful.

That's all I needed to hear. I won't be bothering with this.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:11 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

That's all I needed to hear. I won't be bothering with this.

I kinda disagree with Morrigan's assessment. There are a lot of cutscenes, and the writing can be cringy at times as characters really like to share their ideals and reiterate their life goals of making abetter world, but in the demo, you have the first level which is fine, and as the game progresses beyond the demo, you get a lot more combat options. The only parts that feel button-mashy are the Eikon bosses who have by far too many hit points, and you fight them (at least early on) as an Eikon yourself without many abilities. Bosses fought in your regular form are usually real fun.

The story gets better too: Cid is a great character, the Sanbrecque story line is very good, the antagonists are all good (didn't care much for Benedikta who very much felt like your typical anime villain, but the rest are great), whether they're bosses or just side characters who happen to be despicable.

Slight spoiler:
Spoiler: show
When you face Kupka and he tells you how sorry he cannot kill the murderer of his lover, and you just tell him "Oh **I** did it" and then you mutilate him after the fight, that's very satisfying.

Or spoiler for later in the game:
Spoiler: show
When Dion Lesage (lol what is this name??? great character, terrible name) just kills the kid.
Those are great scenes. Yes, the game really hams it up and tries real hard to be super epic, mixing the cheesiest shonen tropes with the edginess of Game of Thrones. Yes, it's cheesy and at times cringy, but goddam isn't it fun to watch something like that, like a mega fantasy soap opera.

Also, the game's music is the best since 7 (although FF6 still claims the crown).

I guess I'm telling you if you have an hour or two, you could do worse than try the free demo.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:53 pm 

After 180h I finally beat Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Great game, it had a few flaws but they were easy to ignore.

Except for the fact that I discovered you can lower the Hylian hood once I had already beaten the game. Fuck that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:20 pm 

The only reason I haven't played XVI yet is because I don't own a PS5, and I've kept myself mostly in the dark about it, but what I have read has given me kinda muted expectations. I thought the lead writer was Natsuo Ishikawa, who absolutely murdered it in XIV being the writer for Dark Knight questline along with the last three expansions as a whole. The DRK questline is without a doubt the best one of all the jobs and it's not even close, Stormblood is kinda uneven but largely very good with the high points being incredible, Shadowbringers was phenomenal and could well have just been a mainline game on its own, but I thought she really slipped on Endwalker, which is largely good but still has a lot of elements that I just didn't like at all, so who knows how XVI was gonna end up. She errs towards the grimdark but usually has a pretty creative angle on it all.

But no, I made the mistake of not reading past the headline and the writer was smart to word it the way he did, because the lead writer is actually Kazutoyo Maehiro, the guy behind A Realm Reborn and Heavensward, and his work is far inferior to Ishikawa's. He was an event/quest planner for FFT (good), Vagrant Story (heard it's good), and The Last Remnant (nobody played this), and battle designer for FFXII (eh). But his big credits are writing those first two expansions, and both are bloated to shit with so many dropped plot elements and meaningless detours that I thought the high points were great but never would've kept me playing if I hadn't gotten caught in the addictive MMO gameplay loop. So yeah, now I'm at least 30% less excited for the game and am willing to believe basically any complaint about the story now that it's not written by the woman who wrote the best FF story in decades.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 939, 940  Next