* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:31 pm 

Honestly, AOTY so far...

https://jpegmafia.bandcamp.com/album/scaring-the-hoes

Long awaited collaboration album from JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown, two of the best to ever do the alternative hip hop thing. The production on this is insane; overpowering sometimes and chaotic in the best ways possible. Can't stop listening!

Last edited by Metal_On_The_Ascendant on Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:19 am 

I feel like this forum has a lot less traction and we should do upcoming and already released albums together. In any case, there's a new Swans album coming.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:16 am 

Skrillex's Quest for Fire is a really good comeback after no full length albums for nearly 10 years. His sound has considerably mellowed out and HOLY CRAP the bass throughout the album is incredible.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:45 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I feel like this forum has a lot less traction and we should do upcoming and already released albums together

good idea, *amended

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:47 am 

Well using the same idea I'm doing for the metal one, I'll do a monthly dump of stuff I've thought was pretty cool. Obviously this is whole year so far though. Actually thought I had a lot more but a lot of stuff I'd considered to be right on the edge of recommendation was kinda terrible on relisten. Oh well.

Big|Brave - nature morte: Some fantastic drone with excellent driving percussion, thick non descript low end, attention grabbing screechy guitar parts and an excellent vocalist who can go from fairly sweet and smooth to outburts of wild shrieking. Honestly a decent chance of remaining my non-metal AOTY through the whole year unless something really damn good comes along.

The Canyon Observer - Figura: Freakout jazz maxed with some sludge metal. Lots of manic sax and general beserkness, jazz for people with no chill. Ugly and chaotic but still fairly approachable compared to brutal prog or whatever. My biggest gainer from relistens on this list, and it was already my #2 of the year.

Park Zero - M: Billed as rave music that's been put together wrong, and it sure is that. Just weird, noise dance noises which are still catchy but a lot more texturally interesting and chaotic. Some of the sample repetition gets kinda annoying but otherwise its a fun jam.

Kinoteki - Dawn the Final Hour: Bunch of playing around with breakbeats and other common electronic beats. Goes for a fairly lush sound over the top of glitchy skittering and I liked it pretty well, right on the cut off of getting a mention though.

Other ones in the region of the cut off point I haven't bothered relistening to:
Asleep Country - Fake Opulent: May have been the novelty of finding a sound collage album not total shit, but it was cool. It's three fucking hours long though so I won't ever listen again.
Lil Yachty - Let's Start Here: First song is by far the coolest but pretty interesting hip-hopped up psyche rock or some shit.
shame - Food For Worms: Probably would have liked this a lot if I heard it a year or two ago but I'm super burned out on the post-brexitcore thing. This one's a bit more rocking and playful than most of this talk-sing over meandering post-art-punk nonsense. The fact I still rate it fairly high despite the severe burn out is a good sign for it.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:18 am 

Samiam, a staple of 90s melodic punk, has released a new album called "Stowaway". I think it's pretty good if you're into that kinda thing.

On a very similar note, I also liked the album Bouncing Souls put out last Friday - "Ten Stories High".

Interesting how Pure Noise have picked both these bands up. I associate that label with modernized pop punk type stuff like Four Year Strong and The Story So Far for the most part... as well as hardcore.

Speaking of hardcore, Gel has released a new album today ("Only Constant")... I'll definitely have to get around to that one.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:01 am 

2023 has been a REALLY slow year for me. Hard to believe we already a quarter of the way through. I wanted to LOVE that JPEG/Danny album, but it hasn't clicked with me (yet). I also wanted to love the new Lana Del Rey, but only half of it lands for me - I feel like it's way too long.

I dig some of the tracks on the new Bouncing Souls. Haven't heard the Samiam yet, so thanks for posting that. The newest Lucero has some great songs, even if it's really more of the same. That's why I love them.

My favourites so far are:

Manchester Orchestra - The Valley Of Vision (EP)
Their last record "The Million Masks of God" was the best of their career imo. This EP is stunning. I also have such a great memory of hearing it for the first time. I was laying on Jumeirah Beach in Dubai the first time I played it. This song is achingly beautiful:

Wilder Woods - FEVER/SKY
Had never heard of this artist, but checked it out based on the album cover. Glad I did. Very on brand for me, who seems to love sad cowboys. lol

Margo Price - Strays
Not crazy about the whole album, but this track is great:

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:01 pm 

AOTY contenders from Q1 2023:

Depeche Mode-Memento Mori. They haven’t sounded this dark in quite a while. And with good reason.

Floor Jansen-Paragon. Pop music with depth.

Fucked Up-One Day. Fucked Up goes Husker Du.

Host-Nine. Paradise Lost brings back the One Second/Host sound. Loses a few points with the actual Depeche Mode releasing an album this year.

Other albums that ended up being decent, but not AOTY contenders from Q1 2023:

Inhaler-Cuts & Bruises
U2-Songs Of Surrender
Venomous Concept-The Good Ship Lolipop (this was particularly surprising, Kevin Sharp is actually a decent singer)

Q1 albums I have not heard yet while waiting on physical media:

White Reaper-Asking For A Ride
The Winery Dogs-3

Both of these have AOTY potential.
Obliteration

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:25 am 

The new Boygenius album is incredible start-to-finish in my opinion.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:19 pm 

The Floor Jansen album is good. Nice to hear her in something this good again. Strong vocal work. Nightwish oughta let her write songs - get some better hooks and vibrancy going maybe.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:52 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:

Depeche Mode-Memento Mori. They haven’t sounded this dark in quite a while. And with good reason.

I literally just came here to post about DM. This is easily their best album since 2005, IMO.
At the very least, it's much catchier than any of the albums between it and "Playing the Angel".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:07 pm 

https://handsandknees.bandcamp.com/albu ... ghost-tree

Not sure about the vocals, but this is cool. Kinda upbeat, poppy, folky stuff. Catchy.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:27 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

I literally just came here to post about DM. This is easily their best album since 2005, IMO.
At the very least, it's much catchier than any of the albums between it and "Playing the Angel".

I haven't heard it yet but going to get on it, going to see them in October.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:56 am 

New Tim Hecker is out today and it's astonishing as usual. Best ambient-drone artist around.

https://timhecker.bandcamp.com/album/no-highs

Morse code pulse programming flickers like distress signals while a gathering storm of strings, noise, and low-end looms in the distance. Processed electronics shiver and shudder against pitch-shifting assemblages of crackling voltage, mantric horns (including exquisite modal sax by Colin Stetson), and cathedral keys. Throughout, the pieces both accrue and avoid drama, more attuned to undertow than crescendo. Hecker mentions “negation” as a muse of sorts – the sense of tumult without bombast, tethered ecstasies, an escape from escapism. His is an antagonism both brusque and beguiling, devoid of resolution, beckoning the listener ever deeper into its greyscale alchemies of magisterial disquiet.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:51 am 

jimbies wrote:
The new Boygenius album is incredible start-to-finish in my opinion.

Yeah this is great. Breezy, melodious. Very easy listen in a great way.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:46 pm 

Couple of my faves this year so far:

Physique - Again
Disclose style d-beat

Poil Ueda - Poil Ueda
prog rock meets japanese folk

Stuff thats good but needs more time to ferment in my mind:

Polymoon - Chrysalis
heavy prog rock, you could compare em with 70s bands but at the same time the whole approach is quite metallic.

Lankum - False Lankum
Irish alternative folk, their previous album is one of my fave albums of the last couple years. Spun this only once and seems quite good but their whole music needs time to properly land

Arooj Aftab, Vijay Iyer, Shahzad Ismaily - Love in Exile

Chamber jazz / Ghazal fusion, Vulture Prince by Arooj was incredible and this is similar but also different.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:14 pm 

https://northamericanszone.bandcamp.com ... npub_fb_pr

Pleasant, breezy light droning... a nice listen for a relaxing day really.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:55 pm 

I'm enjoying this new Scowl EP. A nice mixture of 90s-style alt-rock and hardcore punk. Kinda makes me wanna watch Daria tbh.

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:04 pm 

Here are my favourites from 2023 so far:

Matt Corby - Everything's Fine (Psychedelic Soul, Psychedelic Pop, Neo-Soul)

Sunny and artful neo-soul with a slightly more pronounced pop sensibility than previous albums.

Daughter - Stereo Mind Games (Dream Pop, Indie Rock, Post-Rock)

The less melancholy and more hopeful feel takes this new album out of typical Daughter territory, with mixed results. Perhaps not as impactful as a result but still with moments of real quality.

Lana Del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd (Singer-Songwriter, Art Pop, Traditional Pop, Alt-Pop)

Simply beautiful, with Lana sounding more cinematic than ever. Could be her best album yet.

Lonnie Holley - Oh Me Oh My (Soul, Ambient, Spoken Word, Avant-Garde Jazz)

An excellent album for inner contemplation, with Lonnie's idiomatic and dreamlike compositions this time accompanied by a series of guest musicians.

Wednesday - Rat Saw God (Indie Rock, Alt-Country, Noise Rock)

High quality melange of indie rock, country and noise rock, with a distinctly Southern anomie to it as well as an overt restlessness. The standout tracks, Bull Believer and Bath Country, are exceptional.

Tujiko Noriko - I & II (Ambient, Electroacoustic, Drone)

Up with the best work I have heard from this Japanese experimental musician - an unfolding series of ethereal ambient explorations.

M83 - Fantasy (Dream Pop, Indietronica, Synthpop)

Something of a return to form, Fantasy sees M83 attempt to recapture the magic of their classic works such as "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming". While it certain carries the diversity and ambition, the results don't quite hit those heights. However, tracks like "Laura" are almost a reminder of what they can achieve at their best.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:32 am 

Crown Lands - Fearless

Great prog rock in the vein of middle-era Rush.

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:12 pm 

from the The Heavy Hours' self titled album, pretty mellow stuff.

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:15 pm 

from Crown Lands latest album Fearless

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:30 pm 

Kvelertak have announced Endling, their fifth album and second with new vocalist Ivar Nikolaisen and new drummer Håvard Takle Ohr, both of whom made their recorded debut with the band on 2020's Splid.

Spoiler: show

Tracklist
"Krøterveg Te Helvete"
"Fedrekult"
"Likvoke"
"Motsols"
"Døgeniktens Kvad"
"Endling"
"Skoggangr"
"Paranoia 297"
"Svart September"
"Morild"

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:14 am 

I quite dig this Poison Rüin album, Härvest. It's a very immersive affair, if you can imagine atmospheric punk. Interesting choice of tones and aesthetic.

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:20 pm 

Two great new releases this week:

Mariee Siou - Circle of Signs (Contemporary Folk, Singer-Songwriter, Indigenous North American Music)

Rich with melody and intimate expression, these delicately crafted folk hymnals might just represent a high-watermark in Mariee Siou's already excellent discography. The arrangements and song structures are particularly impressive, opening up a wider field of emotional resonance and sustaining a compelling feeling of both creation and narrative throughout.

Beach House - Become (Dream Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Ethereal Wave)

A selection of b-sides and outtakes from the cinematic and at times grandiose "Once Twice Melody", Become nonetheless retains its own sense of identity and also successfully differentiates itself from its predecessor. Swelling string sections and floating synths take a little bit of a back seat here, then, with arcs of melody sustained and then re-cast in compositions which sometimes feel reminiscent of the band's earlier material in their moments of elegant simplicity, accompanied as always by Victoria Legrand's imploring and bewitching vocal delivery.

Last edited by Lichtung002 on Mon May 01, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm 

Had a couple of alright finds in April:

Zopp - Dominion: Taking the cheesy ass early 70's prog sound and going just full instrumental wankfest out of it. Endless solos of various things with a fairly chilled out level of intensity.

Ill Bill - Billmatic: Ill Bill is silly and having him doing his angry murder raps over a bunch of Nas instrumentals was fun. Probably isn't remotely "good" but it entertained me.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:33 am 

Lichtung002 wrote:
Beach House - (Become Dream Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Ethereal Wave)

Agreed entirely on this EP. Love it to bits, very much its own thing that straddles the line between some of their biggest and smallest sounding material in a really interesting way, being the best of both worlds.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:32 pm 

The new Dave Hause is serious-good. At just 29 minutes, it still feels pretty full. Serious contender for me.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:30 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
I quite dig this Poison Rüin album, Härvest. It's a very immersive affair, if you can imagine atmospheric punk. Interesting choice of tones and aesthetic.

These guys are seriously good! The band name (which, for me, calls to mind Poison Idea) and being on Relapse led me to believe that they'd be one of those sludgy hardcore acts but definitely not. I really dig the songwriting and atmosphere.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:42 pm 

https://oliviajean.bandcamp.com/album/r ... &tab=music

Pretty banging, no nonsense rock music... cool bare bones guitars, good, catchy vocals.

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:36 pm 

Midwife & Vyva Melinkolya - Orbweaving (Slowcore, Shoegaze, Ambient)

Very accomplished blend of the above genres, highly recommended for fans of projects like Grouper. Possibly the best music Midwife has composed to date is to be found on this EP, with washes of melodically compelling shoegaze sonics eliding into dreamy clouds of ambience.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:14 am 

Rebel Kings – Enchantress

New English aor with a cheap-sounding production, good (and occasionally off-tune) vocals, a slightly melancholic atmosphere (probably due to influences from Dare / Magnum / Ten) and above-average compositions (Beautiful Nightmare, The Enchantress).

Discogs doesn't know them, I can't find any reviews, I can't find any images, I can't find out where they live or buy their curry, yet they seem to exist. They'll probably disappear pretty fast, but I like them. It's flawed underdog melodic rock with ideas that surpass those of some of the bigger acts.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:16 pm 

So I learnt recently that Jerome's Dream of all bands - old school screamo band from the late '90s/early '00s - have put out a second album following their reunion back in 2018. Their first album since reforming was a mess, easily their weakest to date, but they're sounding pretty great on this one (and as ever, they've changed sound again):

Some very good, heavy noise rock/screamo with some melodic and atmo parts thrown in there. Short 'n' sweet, goes really hard on the riffs and has simple and monolithic yet dynamic songwriting. Some great vocals and production too, two serious weak spots of their previous effort.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:00 am 

Death Crusade a band related to Morne and Filth of Mankind released their 2nd album. Some proper crust for sure.

Poil Ueda released one of the most interesting albums of the year for sure. A collaboration between the French avant prog rock band Poil with the Japanese folk musician Ueda. Saw them live last monday and it was really good.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:10 pm 

May was a decent month for me although none of this is really top level for me.

Anatomy of Habit - Black Openings: Maybe a little metally but not really, kinda your atmosludge type thing being applied to an oldschool pre-angry robots sorta martial industrial core.

Fire! Orchestra - Echoes: Literally more than twice as long as it should be but there's a lot of cool jazzy big band tech wank on here that I liked a lot. Does the sit one one groove for 10 minutes thing and let every member do a solo over it thing that modern jazz stuff is popular for for some fuckin' reason.

Poil/Ueda - Poil/Ueda: Poil are annoying but combining it with this interesting japanese folk dude makes for a really interesting sound. I like the first song way more than the second one, because that one has more Poil making annoying sounds stuff.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:43 pm 

The new Rancid album "Tomorrow Never Comes" is a lot of fun. This time around it's just straight ahead punk rock, no hint of ska. It sounds like a successor to "Let's Go" and... well, I'm definitely okay with that.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:05 am 

Pupil Slicer, a mathcore band who made a splash a couple of years ago with their debut Mirrors, put out their second album earlier this month, Blossom:

I absolutely adore this album, and after many listens over the last few days it has easily one of my favourite albums in the style; I've been obsessed from the moment I heard it when it dropped. So rarely does an album balance melody, texture, emotion, versatility, diversity and aggression as well as this one does. It is as intense as their debut by and large whilst also greatly expanding their sound in terms of influences, songwriting and atmosphere. Opener and single 'Momentary Actuality' above gives a little taste of what the album is about, though it does a lot more as the track list goes on, filtering in influences from mathcore, post-hardcore, metalcore, alt metal, post-metal as well as touches of black metal and weaving them into very cohesive and dynamic tracks.

For me as well, personal circumstances of my own right now (including the fact I know vocalist/guitarist Katie and they're a great friend) combine with when this album happened to drop, how good it is and how it sounds make it resonate on a deep level. Not saying someone else will connect that deeply but, it is music capable of moving you for sure.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:15 am 

New album from The Aces (I've Loved You For So Long) is going to dominate the summer playlist for me. Perfect songs, and the whole thing has zero fat at 33 minutes.

Also really getting into Lanterns on The Lake's new record (Versions of Us)

Finally hearing some good music this year after a VERY slow first half for me personally.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:30 am 

New Sigur Ros album, Atta, releases digitally tomorrow as a pseudo-surprise release. Physical versions release in September.

First song, huge Valtari vibes.
Obliteration

mot_the_barber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:13 pm 

I'm really digging the new Jason Isbell (and the 400 Unit) album Weathervanes, especially this song:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next