Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:55 pm 

It occurs to me that these Republicans know they can't outright make it illegal to be gay or trans (and, oh believe me, they would jump at the opportunity if they could), but they will make it so that it becomes marginalized and taboo to talk about it or even acknowledge that there are gay and trans people who will be their neighbors, coworkers, potential friends and lovers, etc...

They're essentially trying to legislate a way to stick one's fingers in their ears, all the way down to one's formative years. This will only further perpetuate prejudice.

It's just like why religion often targets kids and young folks. They're too impressionable and without enough life experience to know otherwise.

I mean I guess maybe I'm being captain obvious, but that's what it looks like to me

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:49 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Do you think it'll EVER come out on Fox? You really think they'll be able to avoid the subject 100% forever without ever letting anything slip?

I'm sure it might come up, but probably not in any way that's likely to inform Fox viewers. Maybe a short segment on "Fox News settled with Dominion" with as little details as possible, just before talking about Hunter Biden or a trans woman who finished 1st in a high school swimming competition. You know, hard hitting journalism on real issues?

On another matter, add a 6 years old (and others) shot because her basketball ended up on a crazy dude's yard. https://abcnews.go.com/US/6-year-parent ... d=98717589

Add it to the bunch of people shot for absolutely no reason by crazies who should never had weapons.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:14 pm 

It's difficult to measure how much damage "infotainment" such as Fox, et al, have caused to the national psyche.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:39 pm 

Did Tennessee just pass a law that allows teenagers, without a permit or training, to carry a gun, or did I unknowingly read an Onion article?

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:40 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Do you think it'll EVER come out on Fox? You really think they'll be able to avoid the subject 100% forever without ever letting anything slip?

I'm sure it might come up, but probably not in any way that's likely to inform Fox viewers. Maybe a short segment on "Fox News settled with Dominion" with as little details as possible, just before talking about Hunter Biden or a trans woman who finished 1st in a high school swimming competition. You know, hard hitting journalism on real issues?

On another matter, add a 6 years old (and others) shot because her basketball ended up on a crazy dude's yard. https://abcnews.go.com/US/6-year-parent ... d=98717589

Add it to the bunch of people shot for absolutely no reason by crazies who should never had weapons.

What a complete piece of shit. I hope he gets life in prison, which he probably will. I hope the same for all these others.

What the fuck is wrong with our country? I mean, it's so much more the U.S. than anywhere else, and now it's going beyond just large scale school (and other types of businesses) shootings, going beyond use of assault rifles, and just straight up people using any sort of gun they have to shoot random people for no reason at all.

I believe in the theories behind "social contagion." I don't fully know how it happens, but people are all connected, even moreso if they live in the same country, and I think when a certain thing starts to happen it somehow increases the probability that it will continue to happen.

I still say there's no reason anyone needs an assault rifle (or if I'm using the term wrong, than any "high capacity gun", and you can define that however you want, but I do believe in the right to own most hand guns and shotguns. Yet no laws can really make up for it when we have people like this who will shoot for any reason at all. I mean, I just don't think most people really deserve the right to own guns. I feel you should have to somehow prove that you are worthy and a law abiding citizen before you can get a gun license, but really, how is that even possible? It probably isn't.

But one thing is for sure, and that's that SOMETHING is different about the U.S. when it comes to gun violence. We need to all accept the reality, even regardless of if you are a republican or whatever. Statistics cannot be denied. Our country is deeply, deeply sick.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:42 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
It's difficult to measure how much damage "infotainment" such as Fox, et al, have caused to the national psyche.

For sure. I do believe they are just a part of the cause for all this, but really there could be so many contributing factors. Who knows what the explanation is for what's wrong with us or how to solve any of it. I don't have much hope. Lets all just make sure we never ever turn down the wrong driveway or ring any doorbells or let a ball from our yard go into anyone else's and....yeah....then I think we'll all be just fine LOL.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:07 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

What the fuck is wrong with our country? I mean, it's so much more the U.S. than anywhere else, and now it's going beyond just large scale school (and other types of businesses) shootings, going beyond use of assault rifles, and just straight up people using any sort of gun they have to shoot random people for no reason at all.

I believe in the theories behind "social contagion." I don't fully know how it happens, but people are all connected, even moreso if they live in the same country, and I think when a certain thing starts to happen it somehow increases the probability that it will continue to happen.

I still say there's no reason anyone needs an assault rifle (or if I'm using the term wrong, than any "high capacity gun", and you can define that however you want, but I do believe in the right to own most hand guns and shotguns. Yet no laws can really make up for it when we have people like this who will shoot for any reason at all. I mean, I just don't think most people really deserve the right to own guns. I feel you should have to somehow prove that you are worthy and a law abiding citizen before you can get a gun license, but really, how is that even possible? It probably isn't.

But one thing is for sure, and that's that SOMETHING is different about the U.S. when it comes to gun violence. We need to all accept the reality, even regardless of if you are a republican or whatever. Statistics cannot be denied. Our country is deeply, deeply sick.

If I recall correctly, many, if not most, Americans are one paycheck away from homelessness. Our healthcare sucks donkey balls (and that includes mental health treatment), and we have a group of people who are actively trying to suppress if not destroy people who belong to the LGBTQ community. Systematic racism is still very much alive, just far more subtle most of the time, and we are more politically divided as a society than we've been in a very long time.

We're still arguably recovering from a worldwide pandemic that we handled extremely poorly, no thanks to the likes of people like Trump and those who think like him or supported him. Hell it was like pulling teeth to get people to even wear a fucking mask...

And we're surprised that people are acting absolutely batshit crazy? I'd be far more surprised if we were a level headed country. We have a ton of work to do.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:08 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

We're still arguably recovering from a worldwide pandemic that we handled extremely poorly, no thanks to the likes of people like Trump and those who think like him or supported him. Hell it was like pulling teeth to get people to even wear a fucking mask...

But Fauci lied...and people died. Or something.
Dont forget that.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

What a complete piece of shit. I hope he gets life in prison, which he probably will. I hope the same for all these others.

Well, for all these weird cases where someone was shot for apparently no reason (except the last one, the guy who shot the six years old just seems to be an over-aggressive asshole), I think we have to blame (partly) the many state laws that allow "stand your ground", that allow you to use deadly force as soon as you "fear for your life". I'm aware that not all of these incidents even happened in such states, but it's the message that it communicates: that if you fear for your life, you better shoot first, ask questions later. Idiots like Zimmerman are hailed as heroes of self-defense. It doesn't occur to people that you can defuse a situation other than by shooting the other party.

As an example I saw a convo about two Florida assholes who shot at each other but only managed to hit each other's daughter in a road rage incident. Some argued that at least one was justified in using his gun, since the other was driving recklessly and was throwing water bottles at him which could have caused a car crash if the driver had been hit in the face by the bottle. It doesn't occur to these types (the ones in the convo) that hey, maybe just stop your car if someone is acting so recklessly that he endangers you? No, gotta draw the gun and start blasting, the fact that the guy not only managed to hit the daughter of the other guy and that it escalated to a shootout that led to his own daughter being shot is apparently not a problem. "He was right to defend his life!" Fuck.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:20 pm 

Oh shit - Tucker Carlson is gone. His last show already aired. I did not see that coming.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:28 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Oh shit - Tucker Carlson is gone. His last show already aired. I did not see that coming.

As glad as I am to finally see Tucker out of FOX for good, I have a bad feeling that they're gonna replace with someone who's just as bad or somehow even worse than him.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 pm 

I have no experience with Don Lemon. I don't know what his deal was, but I have found it unfortunate that lazy media has been lumping Lemon and Carlson together. It does what Bill Maher does when lumping ideas together. It gives people, and especially rightists, the idea that, "See, the left is just as bad." It gives the looners an exit ramp. Was Lemon really doing similar things, and with similar influence, as Carlson? I doubt it. This false equivalency and impression is poor journalism, and unfortunately, that's how most people are going to experience this.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:02 pm 

Yeah, Don Lemon is a sexist asshole (and should have been fired immediately after sending that threatening text to a co-worker, to be honest), but he's not even in the same ballpark as Tucker Carlson was in terms of being a malicious, harmful propagandist.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:08 pm 

Steven Crowder was caught abusing his wife on video: https://nypost.com/2023/04/28/steven-cr ... ly-duties/

Quote is in spoilers for mentions of emotional and verbal abuse.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Disturbing new video showing conservative commentator Steven Crowder warning his then-heavily pregnant wife to “f–king watch it” as he berates her for not following orders to do “wifely” duties was “misleadingly edited,” he said Friday.

The Ring footage, released Thursday by journalist Yashar Ali on his Substack, shows a fight in the run-up to what the YouTuber has called a “horrendous divorce.”

While being berated, Crowder’s wife, Hilary, repeatedly tries to reassure her husband that she loves him and is “committed.”

“I love you … but your abuse is sick,” she told him at one point — with him warning sternly: “Watch it. Watch it. F–king watch it.”

Crowder reportedly admitted to later inside the house threatening his wife: “I will f–k you up.”

The nearly 3 1/2-minute video, from June 2021, starts with Crowder smoking as he berates Hilary — who was 8-months pregnant with their twins — for not adhering to the “boundaries” he had set for her.

“You are not taking the car, because if you refuse to do wifely things then I will go pick up the groceries,” he tells his wife as she tries to leave their home.

His distressed wife quietly notes that they do not need groceries, and offers to pick up anything he needs while she is out.

Still, the influencer snaps: “I can’t go to the gym. I can’t go to my parents. I can’t call my friends. … Hilary, just think of how boxed in you’ve made me!”

As his wife breathes deeply and appears to fight back tears, the online personality tells her that “the only way out of it is discipline and respect.”

Again offering to get her husband’s grocery needs, Hilary says she needs “some space,” telling him: “I love you — I love you very much.”

“I don’t love you, that’s the big problem,” Crowder replies cruelly.

“And the fact is, when I go, ‘Look, I need you to do A, B, C and D,’ you should be disciplined about it, you go, ‘No!'” he complained — ordering her to “become worthy — wife worthy.”

“I love you. I’m committed to you,” his wife tells Crowder, who snaps: “Put on some gloves. Are you committed enough to do those things? … walk the dogs and put on some gloves.

“Are you committed enough to get the medication?” he asks, referring to what the report said was a treatment for the dogs that Hilary feared would be toxic for pregnant women.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:59 am 

Crowder's karma is finally catching up to him. I love it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:44 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:

Ehhh. He's always been an asshole, catering to other assholes, the fact that he's also an abusive fuckwad to his wife isn't going to deter anyone who thinks he's either interesting or funny or relevant, and platforms love too much the hate money scum like him provide them.

The way he handles the whole thing ("let me show you how my stay-at-home-to-take-care-of-the-kids trad wife isn't financially independant and how my abuse has made her mentally ill") isn't going to lose him many followers either. I'd love to be proven wrong, though, and I really hope his ex-wife will get everything she wants in the divorce.

I do love the infighting with Klandace Owen, though.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:01 pm 

I can't imagine trying to have an actual conversation and negotiate with McCarthy, MTG, Jordan, Gaetz, or any of these disingenuous and intellectually challenged performance artists. Do any of them get any actual governing done? It could be the failed media, but I never hear about any of their policies, only them constantly fund raising via antics. Other than being against supporting Ukraine, I have no idea what they've actually done in congress.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:30 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
I can't imagine trying to have an actual conversation and negotiate with McCarthy, MTG, Jordan, Gaetz, or any of these disingenuous and intellectually challenged performance artists. Do any of them get any actual governing done? It could be the failed media, but I never hear about any of their policies, only them constantly fund raising via antics. Other than being against supporting Ukraine, I have no idea what they've actually done in congress.

I can tell you what they've done

block reproductive rights, workers' rights and marijuana legalization...

...yeah, that's about it I think

:-D

BastardHead wrote:

FINO ALLA MORTE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:53 pm 

When are people going to realize that in politics(especially in the US) that a president is SELECTED, not elected...?

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:25 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

Ehhh. He's always been an asshole, catering to other assholes, the fact that he's also an abusive fuckwad to his wife isn't going to deter anyone who thinks he's either interesting or funny or relevant, and platforms love too much the hate money scum like him provide them.

The way he handles the whole thing ("let me show you how my stay-at-home-to-take-care-of-the-kids trad wife isn't financially independant and how my abuse has made her mentally ill") isn't going to lose him many followers either. I'd love to be proven wrong, though, and I really hope his ex-wife will get everything she wants in the divorce.

I do love the infighting with Klandace Owen, though.

If anything, his treatment of his wife is only going to validate that sort of behavior in the minds of his viewers.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:50 pm 

I don't know if it is MAGAs or Republicans or conservatives or QAnons or who, but the head-scratching response to the Russian teenage girl breaking down and cleaning an AK-47 at school in a matter of seconds, "They're training their kids like this while ours get diversity training..." Just fucking bizarre on so many levels. Reason #4027 that I'm convinced they have absolutely no clue what their flag stands for or what The Constitution actually provides and acts as.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:00 pm 

There's an argument to be made that many of these individuals are severely mentally ill. I'm not trying to be facetious but...like certifiably insane, able to be diagnosed with several personality disorders.

BastardHead wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:52 am 

That's pretty insulting to those suffering from legitimate mental health issues tbh. Maybe don't do that

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:15 am 

EDIT: never mind

BastardHead wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:34 pm 

It's weird that part of the package the R candidates have to promise is pardons for conspiracy loons and criminals. Sitting governors also feel this pressure. See Texas. It's obviously all about fund raising and quick-fix ticks, but it's also not as if they wouldn't follow through with it. I admit that I am still struggling with being born in a time when if you made the tiniest mistake, youthful misstep, or social faux-pas, you were shunned from politics. Now, and I know I'm stating the obvious, but the bigger the blunder, the more electable you are. It's like Manson could get a bid now.

And on a different note...is it true that only 11 people in Florida are responsible for upwards of 1000 books being banned? I'm not familiar with this site. Is it reputable? It cites the Washington Post too.

https://www.rawstory.com/book-ban-2660547890/

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:02 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
It's weird that part of the package the R candidates have to promise is pardons for conspiracy loons and criminals.

Lol because it appeals to their voter base. Who do you think is voting for Republicans these days?

Quote:
Sitting governors also feel this pressure. See Texas. It's obviously all about fund raising and quick-fix ticks, but it's also not as if they wouldn't follow through with it.

They want votes, they're going to go to whatever "reasonable" lenghts they can go to acquire them

Quote:
I admit that I am still struggling with being born in a time when if you made the tiniest mistake, youthful misstep, or social faux-pas, you were shunned from politics. Now, and I know I'm stating the obvious, but the bigger the blunder, the more electable you are. It's like Manson could get a bid now.

Politicians were always scumbags, their foibles were just more covered up and under lock and key. Many things that are now more or less "open secrets" would've been kept under tight wraps. Plus things like the internet and social media weren't really a thing up until about 20 years ago? And even then, social media was incredibly primitive as compared to what today looks like.

It naturally serves that politicians will only get scummier, and their scuminess will be more difficult to keep under wraps.

There's also a solid case that many of these politicians are a reflection of their constituents. Scuminess matches scuminess

Quote:
And on a different note...is it true that only 11 people in Florida are responsible for upwards of 1000 books being banned? I'm not familiar with this site. Is it reputable? It cites the Washington Post too.

It looks like it says 1,000 book challenges and not straight up bans.

Quote:
"...Analysis conducted by the Washington Post found that only 11 people were responsible for more than half of more than 1,000 different book challenges analyzed by the paper, with one person responsible for 92 challenges just by himself..."

and to reference the WP article that was cited

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... allengers/
Quote:
An analysis of book challenges from across the nation shows the majority were filed by just 11 people

I mean this is still bad either way, Florida is turning into a right wing hellscape...if it wasn't before lol. If I'm correct there are also some book burnings going on as well

This is more or less a precursor to what Nazis were doing in Germany in the early 1930s.

BastardHead wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:35 pm 

lovely

https://twitter.com/ArtistAJ17/status/1 ... 57/photo/1

in case you can't see that

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxD_GOTWcAA ... name=large

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:58 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:

Geez, that email was pretty hard to read. If the guy is gonna continue to threaten him like that, then it's a wise idea to report him.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:25 pm 

The email was so absurdly...screwed that it almost reads as a copypasta. I would almost say Poe's Law applies, but then I realize that these individuals actually exist

BastardHead wrote:

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:05 am 

https://apnews.com/article/police-train ... 03b671ee88

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced its agents and Atlanta police had arrested three leaders of the Atlanta Solidarity Fund, which has bailed out protesters and helped them find lawyers.

In a statement issued after the arrests, Gov. Brian Kemp said the state would “track down every member of a criminal organization, from violent foot soldiers to their uncaring leaders.”

Shit like this is why I have very little, if any, respect for law enforcement. All they are, at the end of the day, whether they admit it or not, are armed enforcers of the state. They are NOT the public servants they purport to be. We can't/shouldn't rely on them for protection or help. Not only are they not legally obligated to protect, they will enforce any bullshit law the state enacts.

More than 40 people have been charged with domestic terrorism in connection with protests over the Atlanta Public Safety Training Center, a cause that has garnered international attention since authorities clearing the protesters’ camp in South River Forest fatally shot an environmental activist in January. Officials say the officers fired in self-defense after the protester shot a trooper. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating.

This is just a targeted attack by the state against these individuals who are exercising their 1st amendment right. But because it just happens to be protest against the protected class of law enforcement, suddenly they are committing crimes. All these people are guilty of is raising funds for bail for some of the arrested protestors and helping them get legal representation.

BastardHead wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:48 pm 

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of his actions knocking on Trump's door after all these years.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:36 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of his actions knocking on Trump's door after all these years.

Yeah, but what I heard is that the judge was appointed by him and is a really crooked bi**h, and that she'll probably just delay the case until he's (HOPEFULLY NOT) elected, at which point he'd just pardon himself. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen.

I mean, he presented a major threat to our national security and who knows, people might already have died because of what he did. He broke something like 37 different laws. I don't know, I'm just not optimistic about him ever actually being truly held accountable and found guilty of any crimes, and even if he is, IF god forbid he's re-elected, he can just pardon himself.

I recently heard someone say "I'll never ask again how it was possible for Hitler to gain power." Seriously scary shit when you have half a country of brainwashed imbeciles who will actively elect someone who wants to end the very democracy they claim to love, all in the name of "patriotism." It's fucking shameful.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:45 pm 

I hate to sound like a broken tape recorder, but until Trump is taken away in cuffs with a lengthy prison sentence, I wont be satisfied. I'll accept no substitutes.

Also, why are more people not talking about what I posted? Do you guys not see how this is setting a very alarming precedent? This is extremely disturbing stuff...and we're sitting here talking about Trump yet again. We know the dude is scum and has has has his grubby hands in a shit ton of illegal things for a long time now. Will he face proper justice? Hopefully, it's plausible. But ultimately, they're just what-ifs and speculative. This has already happened and it could set a blueprint for future actions by the government against citizens

BastardHead wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:21 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I hate to sound like a broken tape recorder, but until Trump is taken away in cuffs with a lengthy prison sentence, I wont be satisfied. I'll accept no substitutes.

Also, why are more people not talking about what I posted? Do you guys not see how this is setting a very alarming precedent? This is extremely disturbing stuff...and we're sitting here talking about Trump yet again. We know the dude is scum and has has has his grubby hands in a shit ton of illegal things for a long time now. Will he face proper justice? Hopefully, it's plausible. But ultimately, they're just what-ifs and speculative. This has already happened and it could set a blueprint for future actions by the government against citizens

I hadn't heard of that, but I did see a glossed over something about Desantis and Florida kneecapping protesting. Isn't this Republicans just Republicaning? I don't take "just" lightly either, but given Georgia's behavior throughout history, this is right in line. *this is where the "liberal" media isn't so liberal and failing at their job. PBS spends 20 minutes talking about Trump, but 17 seconds on this Desantis authoritarian maneuver. It was practically incoherent, thus useless. And PBS isn't going to spend more than two handfuls of seconds on something, most people aren't going to see or hear about it. The major networks are definitely going to skip over it all together.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:32 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

I hadn't heard about what you posted, and I think I understand what you described pretty well, and yeah, it's very disturbing. I also have less and less trust in the police. I mean, they just have too much power and also enforce some pretty shitty laws we have on the books. This is why I know I'm lucky to be white, because I've heard so many black people say they would NEVER call the cops, and that it's like pouring gasoline on a fire.

I heard a recent story of an ELEVEN year old black kid calling the cops because his mom was being abused, and they fucking shot him. Not sure if he lived or not. I hope he did.

While many of the people who post on Quora are on the brightest, reading that when it comes in my junk mail is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the other day I was reading posts where one guy was talking about career day at his highschool and how he was thinking of becoming a cop until he went to the room where "future aspiring cops" were being educated on law enforcement by the police. He said EVERY SINGLE bully in the school was there, wanting to touch the cops' guns and know what they could and couldn't get away with as police, and that that was all it took it end his dreams of becoming a cop.

It reminds me of in a Clockwork Orange when the droogs become cops after the main character played by Malcolm McDowell is brainwashed into a state of perpetual kindness. They just beat him up and practically drown him to death.

I mean, there are SOME people who become cops for good reasons, but even they are joining a largely corrupt system and will surely change after being exposed to the worst of the worst on a daily basis. But for real: who the hell would call their highschool bully to come save them during a break in? You have absolutely NO idea the personality or inclinations of this heavily armed "peace officer" that you are inviting to your house. It's a complete crap shoot as to what happens when you decide to dial those numbers, ESPECIALLY if you are black person or minority. I don't know if there's any possible way to clean up our police system, and the fact that 99.99% of them are Trump supporters does NOT make me feel comfortable...I was watching an interview with Chris Rock the other day and he said "they always say it's just a few bad apples..." and he's like "but you know, some jobs should have NO bad apples, like pilots..." LOL. Seriously. No bad apples allowed IMO. I know I can't possibly know what it's like to be a cop or the stressors they face, and I respect their willingness to face them, but that means they must ALWAYS be held to a MUCH higher standard, and they usually aren't.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:34 pm 

At the very least, they work for a corrupt and broken system that makes it alarmingly easy for bad cops to thrive and succeed. It's not good, not good at all. If anything, I think that distrust of the police doesn't go far enough. It seems more like a vocal minority more than anything. The general populace still has some semblance of trust in the police to a degree. In my opinion, that needs to be destroyed completely. Imagine if the public at large basically withdrew all of whatever remained of their trust and support for cops in America? Government officials would basically have no choice but to act...at least they would if they had one modicum of care about what the people think, even if for no other reason than they want votes and public support themselves.

But it goes further than that, like I said this is a state/gov't organized attack against these citizens for exercising their 1st amendment rights and protesting something they don't think the state should be doing. The cops are just a cog in the wheel in this whole thing. These guys are being labeled as domestic terrorists. That's what makes it more disturbing.

BastardHead wrote:

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:19 am 

“But without the cops, you would have complete and utter chaos.” Bullshit! It’s already complete chaos with the current policing system. So what do we do to fully reform it?

ACAB

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:08 am 

That's the problem, cops themselves don't even want change.

We have two factors here. Law enforcement actively resists any serious shots at major reform, and police unions/advocacy groups have a lot of power. In some states/jurisdictions, the gov't officials fully support their police force and don't appear to be very motivated to institute any serious reform. These clowns really think they're above reproach, and it shows in both their everyday behavior and the aftermath whenever they needlessly kill somebody.

BastardHead wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:51 pm 

A general rule of nature is that no being, nor group, simply relinquishes their power, and if you were drawn to the situation to gain power, it's an added element. Labor and investment are now part of that power. I grew up in a small farm town where the cops made the rules. They broke bread at lunch time at the tiny courthouse with the judge, the lawyers, and the politicians. You weren't just attacking their job, their career, their sensibilities, and their power. You were also attacking their friends, which became like family. I feel it was a huge factor in why the South was especially brutal (still is). And they're socialized to not be self-aware or to self-reflect.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:03 pm 

There are three motivations in (at least) the US Police Force:

1. "The Do-Gooder" a person who joins sincerely wanting to stop abuse of the public by those with criminal intentions

2. "The I'm Just Doing My Job, I Don't Rock the Boat, It's a Paycheck" a person who is going to side with whatever is apt to get them successfully through a workday without being chastised by the majority of coworkers - most usually those who chastise are motivation #3...and thus the motivation #2 usually falls along sympathetic alignment with group #3

3. Sociopaths (Antisocial Personality Disorder) /Sadistic Psychopaths/ People with "Napoleonic Complex" and Narcissistic Personalities. These people are who are the source of the problem- "people who are abusive are disproportionately likely to seek out a job in which you can abuse people". Due to this motivation being more aggressive and aggression tends to subdue unaimed pacifism, this group tends to win out in most scenarios of policing. They are not only their own motivation but also influence the motivation of group 2... at which point group 1 is so overwhelmed, they keep their heads down and "just do their job" defaulting into group 2.

BastardHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 69  Next