Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 am 

i know there has been quite a few threads about "paranormal" or scary stories that people have posted this is more about things that you find creepy, odd or interesting such as for me this is creepy but also odd and really interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

i am currently looking up strange unexplained sounds, EVP, Binaural beats just feel free to post and talk about anything interesting but a bit creepy can be fiction or something real i just find those things really interesting because they are so mysterious and creepy sounding and want to find more stuff to look up even if its fake

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 am 

It's not "fake", but these sort of things don't occur due to some kind of supernatural thing.

So like, do you ever see something that isn't at all a face, but it looks like a face to you? For example a three prong electrical socket, or the front of a car? Your mind just interprets it as looking like a face. But think about it, these things aren't made to look like faces. Also, not everyone sees them that way.

It's the same for sounds. Sometimes you hear a sound and it sounds like a word or words. Haven't you ever heard some singing and thought the words were saying something strange or funny, and then when you look up the lyrics its not even close? Your mind just make the jump to form words out of sounds that are really unrelated. That when listening to crazy static or tapes of people talking, odd interference or noises sounds like a voice speaking words is just the same thing. At least this is my explanation of EVP

Those weird buzzes or beats or whatever I don't know much about, but it seems much more plausible that it's some kind of interference, especially due to the fact that in modern times we have billions upon billions of different electronic devices emitting who knows what kind of frequencies constantly. My neighbors amp used to have mexican people talking through it. I never for an instant thought it could be ghosts, I just assumed it was picking up some kind of radio frequency. My moms old walkman had a built in am/fm radio. Who's to say that as the battery died while it sat on a shelf that it didn't shoot some kind of mexican radio a few yards into the amp. Who knows, maybe it shot it all the way to canada and into some EVP obsessed dudes karaoke machine and then he wrote two pages about it on his ghost hunter blog.

People use the paranormal to explain things they don't understand. Hundreds of years ago diseases and such were explained by paranormal. Nowdays we are educated about the nature of disease from an early age in school. However, we are not educated in detail about electronics. That's why I believe in present times so many people look to explain electonics related phenomena as paranormal happenings. Maybe in the future a detailed understanding of electromagnetism will be standard for everyone and anyone who would lay claim to an electronic somethingorother being paranormally related will be looked at as as foolish as someone owing up a cold to ghosts in present times. If someone told you they had a cough because of ghosts what would you think about that person?

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:40 am 

The trouble with EVP is that it can be explained by various low frequency noises. Also, there are a lot of dodgy people out there recording voices and then adding feedback and other weird effects, which has given it all a bad name.

But, I would never say that ALL EVP can be explained 100% as being something natural. Some people I've known have hooked up a microphone to a tape player and put it in rooms in their houses. It's great fun, especially when something unexpected is heard. Saying that, it can be a bit boring going through a C-90 listening out for weird sounds!!!

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:56 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
i know there has been quite a few threads about "paranormal" or scary stories that people have posted this is more about things that you find creepy, odd or interesting such as for me this is creepy but also odd and really interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

i am currently looking up strange unexplained sounds, EVP, Binaural beats just feel free to post and talk about anything interesting but a bit creepy can be fiction or something real i just find those things really interesting because they are so mysterious and creepy sounding and want to find more stuff to look up even if its fake

If you are interested in strange radio anomalies, you should check out the ambient/minimal techno/whatever act Boards of Canada. They make lots of use of numbers stations, unidentified shortwave broadcasts etc.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am 

Creepy/weird/unexplained things? My favourite, but please, let's keep this one free of spiritual/religious debate and just share weird/cool things found on the internet.

The first one that comes to mind is the Bloop http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bloop The Bloop is basically a very, very, very loud low frequency noise that was heard in the 90's, that came from an unknown source. It's probably actually caused by an iceberg

Quote:
Fox's hunch is that the sound nicknamed Bloop is the most likely to come from some sort of animal, because its signature is a rapid variation in frequency similar to that of sounds known to be made by marine beasts. There's one crucial difference, however: in 1997 Bloop was detected by sensors up to 4800 kilometres apart. That means it must be far louder than any whale noise, or any other animal noise for that matter. Is it even remotely possible that some creature bigger than any whale is lurking in the ocean depths? Or, perhaps more likely, something that is much more efficient at making sound?

The second thing that comes to mind is the Taman Shud case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud I can't be bothered summarising this, as it's one of the most well known unsolved murders, and is well worth the read.

Third: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-bIWm08eJc "Madness in the Fast Lane". This is a documentary about a really strange case of shared psychosis between two Swedish sisters, which lead to one or both sisters getting almost superhuman strength. They went absolutely mental even after one had been hit by a truck, and the other had been hit by cars twice (on a highway mind you). The documentary covers the highway incident and what happened following it. Definitely worth watching - I don't think they ever discovered the cause of their psychosis, and apparently both sisters were completely normal prior to these events. Drugs and alcohol weren't involved.

I know of a bunch more of these weird things if anyone's interested - I love reading about them so have a bunch of links I can share.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot this one: http://973-eht-namuh-973.com/ is a very, very odd occult themed website, with such uh... gems as:

Quote:

NINE
I AM THAT I AM
I THAT NINE AM THAT NINE I AM
zazazazazAZAZAZAZAZAZAZAZAZazazazazaz
BLESSED BE THAT NAME

Really, really weird stuff.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
I can't believe I forgot this one: http://973-eht-namuh-973.com/ is a very, very odd occult themed website

Wow, that website is seriously mental. It looks like one of those occult based grimoires that mean absolutely nothing at all to anyone reading it. I'm sure it meant something personal to the person who designed it, or it was a big joke aimed at the occult brigade.

Definitely weird, though!

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 am 

baron samedi wrote:
My neighbors amp used to have mexican people talking through it. I never for an instant thought it could be ghosts, I just assumed it was picking up some kind of radio frequency.

Tube amp's pick up radio frequencies all the time. Rob Zombie almost had to cancel a show because John 5's amp was picking up radio signals.

The house I lived in until I was 16, all our electronics picked up voices. Our landline phone had voices speaking all the time. And my Cd player when turned to tape, without anything playing, would also pick up voices. Once my Radio-controlled car started driving around in my bedroom at night. All this was because one of our neighbor had huge radio antenna in his backyard, Picking up signals from all over the world.

Satanic Potato, I don't get what you find creepy about that Russian radio signal, are you by any chance from the USA?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 pm 

lol nah i am australian 693 i just find it really odd it shouldnt be creepy but its just very odd the fact that(at least one of them) has been broadcasting static since the 70's and 3 times has broadcast random names and numbers is just really odd i picture one of the satellites from the 2nd snow level in goldeneye 64 being the place they would be broadcasting that from and the fact that people have heard noises such as conversations and rustling and other assorted noises means someone is there broadcasting this for some unknown reason i know its and odd thing to find creepy and its not too creepy just a bit creepy though it shouldnt be

the Taman Shud case is something i read a tiny bit about on cracked so i will read more on that thanks since the article didnt go into too much detail read a tiny bit about the bloop too but again not much

thank you i will check out Boards of Canada and i know evp's can be fake but i still find them interesting and i agree with the first reply to this thread, i dont believe in the supernatural though i find it fascinating but there is so much happening on the planet, so there is always going to be odd things that are very hard to explain especially how our brain's see and hear things and how we perceive everything around us is going to be interesting

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm 

I downloaded 5 cd's worth of numbers station broadcasts last night, probably going to use them in some noise music I'm making.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:16 am 

I don't think UVB-76 or numbers stations are particularly creepy; they're just somewhat mysterious. Their purpose is pretty clearly some sort of secret military or espionage communication.

EVP is pretty much just a case of pareidolia, the same psychological phenomenon that leads people to think they see the face of Jesus on their Taco Bell tortilla.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 am 

No, gotta be space aliens! From space!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 am 

I find certain black box recordings can be especially creepy when you hear odd conversations before they die, sometimes as if they knew their number was up and other times about random subjects that make little sense. This accompanied with their death screams are easily some of the most creepy things I've heard.

I find a lot of aviation mysteries strange and eerie, particularly the The Valentich Disappearance. I don't buy into the whole popular UFO 'alien' sightings but anything related to sightings of bizarre creatures, otherworldy structures or strange ships from the air, by well educated and trustworthy people, is enough to keep me guessing for hours.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I find certain black box recordings can be especially creepy when you hear odd conversations before they die, sometimes as if they knew their number was up and other times about random subjects that make little sense. This accompanied with their death screams are easily some of the most creepy things I've heard.

But, wouldn't you rather listen to some metal? How nthe hell do you go about listening to black box recordings?

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:12 pm 

Yeah where can I listen to black box recordings?Im finna sample that shit
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 pm 

I always thought that the Max Headroom incident from the 80's was pretty weird, kinda cool even.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 am 

Max Headroom is such an odd thing i wonder what the people who were watching doctor who was thinking when watching that seems like a normal episode of doctor who to me :P but that incident does interest me too if not strange

i dont buy into many mysteries tbh but still find them interesting, and i find psychological phenomenons interesting too and sounds like it will be good music Scorntyrant and i black box recordings can be creepy

i remember an episode of air crash investigation where everyone just kinda "fell asleep" i know why they did that but at first it was kinda odd

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:

I find a lot of aviation mysteries strange and eerie, particularly the The Valentich Disappearance. I don't buy into the whole popular UFO 'alien' sightings but anything related to sightings of bizarre creatures, otherworldy structures or strange ships from the air, by well educated and trustworthy people, is enough to keep me guessing for hours.

Yeah, the Valentich Disappearance is creepy as fuck. One of the strangest Australian mysteries for sure. Have you heard the flight recording? That's pretty eerie, the guy sounded terrified.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:21 am 

also i looked this up a few times but this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle

just looking up the Valentich Disapperance pretty strange stuff i wonder what the unexplained noise was

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 am 

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2011/04/black-eyed-kids-insidious-threat-or-myth-in-the-making/

This makes me cringe everytime. I imagine a lot of people have heard about it but this is just by far one of the scariest things I've ever heard about. I actually learned about the BEKS on some show.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 am 

This sounds like utter bollocks to me. Scary, yes, but it's amazing what you can do with contact lenses and a bit of hysteria these days.

j03
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:27 am 

Sometimes when I'm bored, I do a little research on those creepy/odd things...
this is one of the best I came across: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Last edited by j03 on Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 am 

j03 wrote:
this is one of the best I came about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Yeah, that one is creepy as shit. I'm waiting for a book about that to turn up from amazon actually.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 am 

That one truly is pretty weird.

j03
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:01 am 

Some more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanganyika ... r_epidemic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Vault
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salish_Sea ... iscoveries

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 am 

A fair bit of the ‘creepy’ stuff is bogus, but the Voynich Manuscript is a true mystery. I find it fascinating how it’s been inscrutable for centuries and that the application of modern technology has not only failed to solve anything, it’s actually opened up further questions. It could all just be meaningless but it’s compelling to think that we may never know one way or another.

The wiki is well done too, makes for a good read. Anyone interested in cryptography or the odd and unexplained should check it out.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm 

I love this sort of stuff. I know I know more but only this comes to mind at the moment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

As well as these strange earth groans/sky hums that are reportedly heard around the world.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 pm 

j03 wrote:

This was proved to be caused by water some years ago wasn't it? that water filled these tombs, who were 1-2 meters underground and the coffins floated elsewhere?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 pm 

Some of the things posted here were definitely quite... interesting to read. Generally I don't really believe in all sorts of UFO explanations, what I find fascinating is how completely unexpected and seemingly improbable the actual reasons often turn out to be.

j03 wrote:
this is one of the best I came across: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

This is the worst one of all, though. This definitely sounds like the Soviet military/intelligence was involved one way or another, unless someone has a good idea where did radioactive radiation come from in the mountains. I had never heard of this before...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 pm 

Earth groans, and the reported "hum" COULD possibly be underground earthquake faults grinding together- and people hearing them in the same fashion that some animals react to subsonic frequencies in the ground just prior to an earthquake-causing fault rupture. That is a lot of tons of rock moving against each other.

There was some story a while back of a ship out in the Indian Ocean, or over by Malaysia- somewhere over that way anyway. It was a freighter that was allegedly smuggling chemical weapons of some kind- cyanide, or VX, or something really nasty like that, anyway supposedly the cargo leaked, and killed the entire crew. They had a placed a distress call and the rescue ship found the entire crew dead, and then shortly afterwards the whole ship exploded, possibly as a result of explosives in the hold. There was supposably some kind of cover-up, because no government wanted to be associated with a ship that had been smuggling chemical weapons. I remember reading about this in some nautical mystery compilation somewhere. Along that same line, they're saying now that they think the crew of the "Marie Celeste" abandoned ship in a storm, because it was carrying highly volatile wood alcohol which they were afraid was about to ignite.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:38 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
j03 wrote:

This is the worst one of all, though. This definitely sounds like the Soviet military/intelligence was involved one way or another, unless someone has a good idea where did radioactive radiation come from in the mountains. I had never heard of this before...

It's pretty well-known now that the radiation found on the bodies was a very minor and superficial contamination that could have come from any number of sources. The fact that they were found naked is almost certainly due to paradoxical undressing, a well-documented symptom of extreme hypothermia wherein you start going crazy and imagine that you're really goddamn hot. The broken bones are likely due to a fall and the missing tongue due to scavenging animals.

The Dyatlov Pass incident isn't anything particularly mysterious, it just got a lot of press due to it taking place during the Cold War, when everything involving Russia was imagined to be some kind of secret conspiracy.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 am 

Well, this is the only thing I read about this, and it said the radiation was pretty significant. Paradoxical undressing would make sense if not the fact they actually left their tents undressed, and I don't think they could have got hypothermia inside.

I don't know, I don't think I'm any smarter than the people who have investigated this, but there's just something incredibly... unsettling about this one for me. (Also the sad fact that 9 people in their 20s died.)

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:33 am 

The things about the Dyatlov Pass incident that I find unsettling are:

1. Why would you camp in the open rather than in the cover of the trees? Unless they thought the forest was unsafe? If so, why?
2. why are the tents cut open rather than the logical exit from the flaps?
3. Wound/gnawing/animal bite patters are not consistent with local fauna
4. reports of anomalies with the bodies - radiation, premature aging, burn marks etc

Although, here is a pretty reasonable debunking: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:52 am 

Speaking of Russia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

"The Tunguska event was an enormously powerful explosion that occurred near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia, at about 07:14 KRAT (00:14 UT) on June 30 [O.S. June 17], 1908.[1][2][3] The explosion, having the epicentre (60.886°N, 101.894°E), is believed to have been caused by the air burst of a large meteoroid or comet fragment at an altitude of 5–10 kilometres (3–6 mi) above the Earth's surface. Different studies have yielded widely varying estimates of the object's size, on the order of 100 metres (330 ft).[4] It is the largest impact event on or near Earth in recorded history.[5] The number of scholarly publications on the problem of the Tunguska explosion since 1908 may be estimated at about 1,000 (mainly in Russian). Many scientists have participated in Tunguska studies, the best-known of them being Leonid Kulik, Yevgeny Krinov, Kirill Florensky, Nikolai Vladimirovich Vasiliev, and Wilhelm Fast.[6]
Although the meteoroid or comet appears to have burst in the air rather than hitting the surface, this event still is referred to as an impact. Estimates of the energy of the blast range from 3 to as high as 30 megatons of TNT (13–130 PJ),[7][8] with 10–15 megatons of TNT (42–63 PJ) the most likely[8]—roughly equal to the United States' Castle Bravo thermonuclear bomb tested on March 1, 1954; about 1,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan; and about two-fifths the power of the later Soviet Union's own Tsar Bomba (the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated).[9]
The Tunguska explosion knocked down an estimated 80 million trees over an area covering 2,150 square kilometres (830 sq mi). It is estimated that the shock wave from the blast would have measured 5.0 on the Richter scale. An explosion of this magnitude is capable of destroying a large metropolitan area.[10] This possibility has helped to spark discussion of asteroid deflection strategies."

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:05 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
The things about the Dyatlov Pass incident that I find unsettling are:

1. Why would you camp in the open rather than in the cover of the trees? Unless they thought the forest was unsafe? If so, why?
2. why are the tents cut open rather than the logical exit from the flaps?
3. Wound/gnawing/animal bite patters are not consistent with local fauna
4. reports of anomalies with the bodies - radiation, premature aging, burn marks etc

Although, here is a pretty reasonable debunking: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

During the resulting turmoil one received a fatal skull fracture, one received twelve broken ribs, and one bit her tongue off, all perfectly plausible injuries during such a traumatic death.

This doesn't make sense to me. If they had died in an avalanche, I'm pretty sure there would have been damage to pretty much all parts of the body not just the skull and ribs, and biting one's tongue off sounds completely absurd. It's a nice try at a simple explanation, but in my opinion he sort of crosses the line of the rule "make things as simple as possible, but not simpler". He tries to make them even simpler at a few points.

As for Tunguska, I forgot about it and I'm sort of surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, it's possibly the biggest mystery of them all.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:59 pm 

Tunguska would have been perfect for this thread a decade ago, but it was almost certainly caused an air-burst meteorite which is a phenomenon that wasn't really known about until fairly recently. It's rare, but there's nothing strange about it - that Russian meteorite a few months ago was the same thing only it was much smaller. And even that did some fairly serious damage...

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 am 

Here's another good one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspar_hauser

Who was Kaspar Hauser?

j03
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

When the victims were buried their relatives noticed that their skin was brown/orange/yellowish and their hair was white...
Source: http://www.sptimes.ru/story/25093

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 am 

j03 wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:

When the victims were buried their relatives noticed that their skin was brown/orange/yellowish and their hair was white...
Source: http://www.sptimes.ru/story/25093

Fallout 3 ghouls, anyone?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Tunguska would have been perfect for this thread a decade ago, but it was almost certainly caused an air-burst meteorite which is a phenomenon that wasn't really known about until fairly recently. It's rare, but there's nothing strange about it - that Russian meteorite a few months ago was the same thing only it was much smaller. And even that did some fairly serious damage...

Yeah well, over time we've learned quite a lot, but it's sort of a "classic" case of this kind of mysteries. Something huge exploding in the middle of nowhere with no one knowing what or why happened, that's pretty much the perfect example of something that can make you feel weird but curious at the same time. I guess now we know a lot more or at least have more ideas what could have happened, though.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:49 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Here's another good one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspar_hauser

Who was Kaspar Hauser?

Ah, historical mystery people!

I nominate this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Iron_Mask

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next