Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 am 

Wednesday I made the happy mistake of going to go see Screaming Females play here in Syracuse. Aside from having probably the hottest guitarist I've ever seen :drool: they're really killer musicians with a lot of good songs and jam out these dancable rock tunes packed with good riffs, leads, and plain old visceral energy. Anyways, since then, I've seen them compared to a number of bands, from Smashing Pumpkins to Sleater-Kinney, but more specifically, someone brought up the band Dinosaur Jr, which I've heard of billions of times but hadn't properly listened to until now. Now I haven't picked up my guitar to play metal in the last four days, and I've been obsessed over these bands and this sound. Did anyone else stumble over alternative rock by accident? Why is there a tendency for metalheads to stay away from that sort of thing? For me, I think it's because when I was a kid, "alt rock" was being sold as crap like Blink-182 and Green Day, and that's why I insisted on staying away from it for so long without really knowing what other kind of stuff was in the genre.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:48 pm 

I don't really listen to a lot of stuff like this, but Dinosaur Jr has some really great albums. Check out their second LP, You're Living All Over Me. That album has some seriously incredible riffs.

I also really dig Pixies. I guess they'd be considered alternative rock or something.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
I don't really listen to a lot of stuff like this, but Dinosaur Jr has some really great albums. Check out their second LP, You're Living All Over Me. That album has some seriously incredible riffs.

I've yet to listen to that one, but I did check out J Mascis's other stuff and it totally kicks ass. His first album with the Fog has sweet licks on it too.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:41 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:

To each his own I guess...

I'm not sure what alt-rock actually is, but I'm a big fan of Mass Of The Fermenting Dregs which is labelled alt-rock sometimes. Some Sonic Youth is cool as well

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:30 pm 

Dinosaur Jr. shred. Their rendition of Just Like Heaven is a favorite. Also check out Green River and Mudhoney of course, Neds Atomic Dustbin, Band of Susans, Bjork's ol' punk band Kukl(although some people call it gothic-rock), and Boss Hog. I never liked that label, Alternative. Back in the day I didn't even use the term 'post-punk'. If it was good I'd buy it or gank their shit but when pressed for it I would use 'alternative' to make things easier for someone to understand what I listened besides satanic music.

A lot of shit was tagged as alternative back then: Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Sonic Youth. Grunge was something people used on tv, at least that's what I remembered. That's why it's kinda weird trying to define what alt is. One minute we'd be lisetning to Samhain, next we'd be getting mind-fucked by Godflesh, or getting high to Cypress Hill. It's kinda silly getting into a what is and what's not alt debate. We didn't do that shit. Depending on the record store even Henry Rollin's spoken word some have labeled as alternative or alternative rock and yet there's no music. So the label was kinda all encompassing and not befitting anything really, more like an atittude I guess. Mazzy Star too was alt I guess yet it's mostly folksy sappy love songs. Other bands from that era worth a try are Scratch Acid, Crust, Steel Pole Bathtub, Man or Astro-Man, Rapeman, The Jesus Lizard, Zeni Geva, Superchunk, Mount Shasta, damn I could go on and on and on and.

But yea, some of these bands totally roar man. Search through my channel to check some of these out. I wish I had more time to upload tons and tons of more stuff. I too am guilty of labeling but it really is just out of convenience for viewers.

Band of Susans - Because of You..........you're welcome damnit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2EbHCyoD0

Head of David.........them noisy kids need to be at school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WHQMFWtLFU

Kukl - Dismembered............we need more shit like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVDFFLs6Fs

Boss Hog - Trigger, Man..........a lil spot of naked fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSnM-qrbaCU

Liars - Overachievers........this is newer but it has that vibe dood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdUW5V2lrYs

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:42 pm 

nekuomanteia wrote:
Dinosaur Jr. shred. Their rendition of Just Like Heaven is a favorite. Also check out Green River and Mudhoney of course, Neds Atomic Dustbin, Band of Susans, Bjork's ol' punk band Kukl(although some people call it gothic-rock), and Boss Hog. I never liked that label, Alternative. Back in the day I didn't even use the term 'post-punk'. If it was good I'd buy it or gank their shit but when pressed for it I would use 'alternative' to make things easier for someone to understand what I listened besides satanic music...

I picked up God Fodder by Ned's Atomic Dustbin randomly at a CD store once for no other reason than the name. I was pretty underwhelmed, I'm really more into the rockin jam stuff. I forgot to mention that I've also been into Jon Spencer Blues Explosion for a while now too. It's funny, I would have called bands like JSBE and Screaming Females just Rock and Roll, but everyone's given them tags like indie punk and alternative.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:14 pm 

Have you heard Jack o'Nuts? What about Luscious Jackson? L7? just to name a few of my favorite female fronted bands or all female bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQRmRF8a2w....crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0C7e2kvG1k....funky

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 pm 

No I have not, but I'll give them a listen. They also get compared to Sleater-Kinney, Siouxsie, and Bikini Kill a fair bit. I'm surprised at how much of this I am enjoying.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 pm 

I dunno, what would fall in that classification? I like Rapeman, Big Black, Shellac, is that alt rock? Would have been called alt rock in the 80s? Nomeansno? Or is that post punk? Killdozer? I like all that stuff but don't worship it, I think The Melvins are a great band but I don't own any albums by them.

Where is the point where post punk becomes alt rock? Or are we talking strictly early 90s MTV alternative Pearl Jam stuff?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 pm 

Failure would be my current favourite from the 90's, people rave about Fantastic Planet but I think Magnified was their peak.
Full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOz92VMdQ14 My top picks are Undone and Moth to mention a couple.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thank you for mentioning Shellac, a lot of people have recommended them. I'm truly lost in '1000 Hurts' right now. It is not at all what I would have expected from the Alternative tag, but it is good nonetheless. In many ways I'm starting to see how "Alternative" conventions are similar to those of the metal community.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 am 

I love this quote by alt rock producer Steve Albini which pretty much sums up my take on this scene:

Quote:
I don't give two splats of an old negro junkie's vomit for your politico-philosophical treatises, kiddies. I like noise. I like big-ass vicious noise that makes my head spin. I wanna feel it whipping through me like a fucking jolt. We're so dilapidated and crushed by our pathetic existence we need it like a fix.
—Forced Exposure essay, 1986

Back in high school I had some friends in alt band called Feared Alien VooDoo composed of an eclectic set of freaks each bringing their own brand of filth to the table. They'd get so fucked up on speed you never knew what was gonna happen at a show. They were playing stuff like a cross between a psychotic's approach to hip-hop in a punk-grind band way before the Beastie Boys picked up the guitars and a lot more degenerate. When I first met him in ninth grade, the bassist, Rick, actually got me into Carcass, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel and Deicide. I remember at shows he'd don a black cloak and liked to reach into his stomach, pull out chunks of bloody meat he'd stash with red food coloring and fling them at the crowd. One night the band was playing at a show when out of nowhere this dude appeared in knee-high Docs wearing a gimp mask and leather shorts only to flog the singer, bassist, guitarist, and drummer and anybody within distance making them play faster and faster. I was sitting on stage by the side tripping balls after somebody slipped me something in my drink starting to worry I was gonna get hit. So I jump into the crowd thinking it to be a safer place to be when out of nowhere a fat guy in a florescent, yellow Biohazard suit comes running on stage and dives right at me. Somehow the guy ends up back on stage and proceeds to take off the suit and strips down to his tighty-whities and low-top blue Docs. Covered in disgusting sweat he aims at the crowd but everytime he approaches the edge the audience moves out of the way. So he goes back and hides and without warning between songs, bolts straight into the crowd in one big sweaty cannonball.

Rick, Alex, Mitchell, and J.R., where ever you are you were the most fucked up shit live.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 pm 

Blind Idiot God:

Husker Du:

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:53 pm 

Alternative rock is a broad term, so while I love grunge (Nirvana and Alice in Chains in particular - I have an irrational visceral hatred of Soundgarden, which I blame on Chris Cornell's voice) I'm also quite fond of R.E.M.

Definitions, though... I'd say alternative rock emerges from post-punk in around 1983 (the year R.E.M.'s Murmur was released) with the rise of college radio, breaks into the mainstream with the grunge explosion and disappears back into the underground in the late 90s. But that doesn't account for post-grunge, which obviously still dominates modern rock radio to some extent.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:50 pm 

My favorite alternative rock band is Bauhaus.

Big Black, Swans, and Death in June also score high!!!

Props for whoever mentioned Kukl........ for those who doubt Bjork's relevance to the underground music community.
Very interesting avant-gardish art rock......

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:32 pm 

Bauhaus? When where they Alternative? Aren't they just simply Gothic Rock?

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:51 am 

Bauhaus were like the Black Sabbath of gothic rock. The term didn't exist yet, and while they never rejected it, they preferred to be simply called "experimental alternative rock"

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 am 

Sonic Youth
The Smashing Pumpkins
At the Drive-In
...and You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead

These were/are some of those rare bands in which every musician was at the top of their game. I have very fond memories of listening to these bands while stoned. I don't smoke weed any more, but still appreciate the music.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:55 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Sonic Youth
The Smashing Pumpkins
At the Drive-In
...and You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead

These were/are some of those rare bands in which every musician was at the top of their game. I have very fond memories of listening to these bands while stoned. I don't smoke weed any more, but still appreciate the music.

Oh! and The Pixies too.

There was a time when I couldn't wait to get home from work so I could sit in my beanbag in the dark and listen to Surfer Rosa.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:08 am 

Some weird bands labelled as alternative rock in this thread. Weirdest in my opinion is Death in June - neither alternative nor rock.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:57 am 

droneriot wrote:
Some weird bands labelled as alternative rock in this thread. Weirdest in my opinion is Death in June - neither alternative nor rock.

Maybe overall. But a handful of their songs border on alternative rock: to be fair they were quite diverse, as far as neofolk goes.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:30 pm 

Listen to The Guilty have no Pride....... Death in June in their alternative rock phase.

......and Nada! is VERY danceable!!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:59 am 

The Guilty have no Pride is a post-punk album.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:04 pm 

I don't see how one could consider Di6 rock at all. Newer Der Blutharsch albums on the other hand...

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:19 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The Guilty have no Pride is a post-punk album.

Post-punk is still rock, and being non-mainstream, it was definitely "alternative" by mid-80s standards.

"alternative rock" is a pretty ambiguous term anyways.....

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:05 pm 

As mentioned by Dux_Saxoniae that alt rock is a broad term, I concur with that. While I consider heavier Seattle bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Melvins to be metal they all have been highlighted as the part of the 'alternative' roster by the media over the years. Apart from them I like most of the overlooked Seattle stuff like Skin Yard, Gruntruck, Tad etc. Outside of the Seattle scene I like early progenitors of 'grunge' like Dinosaur Jr. and Meat Puppets. Some of the other bands who have been labelled as 'alt rock' that I like are Swans, Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, Wall of Voodoo, Killing Joke, The Cure, The Smashing Pumpkins, Cop Shoot Cop, Fudge Tunnel, U2 etc.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:44 pm 

Is CKY considered alternative rock? If so, they are one of my favorites.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:56 pm 

So........ I guess if we were going by modern alt. rock definitions, my favorite would be The Cult.

AnimeDad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 pm 

That's why I hate the term alt-rock. When you hear it, you imagine some douche yarling over watered down pop-punk radio rock riffs. Where great pre-90s rock music like post-punk and noise rock enters the equation is uncertain.

Post-punk, but half the current indie rock bands got their fractured riffs and literate pose from The Fall. Essential band.

The Jesus Lizard are one of the few rock bands who aspired toward any level of "heaviness" without shooting themselves in the foot by borrowing from the worst metal. A really gross, spooky, physical sound. The rest of the country had "Nevermind" or "In Utero" as their defining 90s album, I had "Liar".

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 pm 

The Jesus Lizard were indeed one of the better hard rock bands of the 90s...... The Melvins also deserve some credit.

The only yarler I could stand was Layne Staley, and he didn't do it half the time. I always hated Pearl Jam though..... Eddie Vedder sounding like he's singing with a hamburger in his mouth.

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:28 am 

Atropus wrote:
The Jesus Lizard were indeed one of the better hard rock bands of the 90s...... The Melvins also deserve some credit.

The Jesus Lizard and Melvins sound nothing alike. Melvins are more organized when it comes to songwriting. They are also heavier. TJL kinda sounds like Mudhoney meets Faith No More. They were decent but not one of my favourites.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

AnimeDad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:47 am 

Melvins more organized? I think something that stands out about how TJL was how totally on-point they were with these crazy left-field breaks, crystalline arpeggio parts and ridiculously tight drumming. Just listen to "If You Had Lips". I never heard any Melvins stuff where the band seemed that in-control (although Gluey Porch Treatments and Ozma do have unconventional song structures).

Of course Dale Crover's a great drummer and David Yow's drunkenness can kinda give TJL the impression of being chaotic.

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:46 am 

Crystalline arpeggios are very common amongst post-punk/alternative acts. I concur with the fact that both bands have tight drumming and rhythm sections. But The Jesus Lizard played noise rock with a semi-industrial approach whereas Melvins fused noise rock with metal tastefully and single handedly pioneered sludge and drone metal in that process. I'm personally not much of a fan of industrial rock so my vote goes in favour of the Melvins if there's a contest between the two bands.

Last.fm

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:52 am 

Still have no idea what alternative rock is meant to be. Rock that doesn't sound like mainstream chart rock, possibly. It still sounds like a marketing term to me. In the 90s it was used as a label for slightly less popular rock bands like Live and Collective Soul, as if to make them more popular by spreading the term around high-schoolers. I like Mercury Rev and Pere Ubu. Would Talking Heads and Magnetic Fields count? They are best described as rock but aren't the typical radio rock you would hear on your rock radio station.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:23 pm 

Dinosaur Jr. are amazing live. One of those bands that had very little interaction with the audience (J. Mascis always seems like a really awkward bastard :D) yet you were still captivated by their ability. Also gonna recommend Distorted Pony, though they're more of a noise rock band but as this genre consists of crap like 3 Doors Down anything goes I guess.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:19 am 

A couple of years ago I got The Smiths' The Very Best Of.. I remember back in the day seeing in a skate video a skater wearing a Smiths shirt and thought they were probably a skate punk band or something. Then I saw this new wave dude wearing a Morrissey shirt who informed me the guy on the shirt used to be the smiths lead singer. I used to talk to some new-wavers in class but I was the skater-death-monger looking type not the pompadour hair, penny-loafer, tucked-in button-shirt type. Maybe that's why I never gave them a chance until recently and now that I have they've been on rotation from time to time. Any other fans? And what album would you recommend me listening?

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:15 pm 

I've just listen to the link of Screaming Females and to me it's not good at all. It's just generic crappy alt rock. The name of the band is just pathetic. It reaks wanna-be feminist.The easthetic is just nauseating.

I don't know if it's considered alt rock but soundgarden and Paw are way better. For a female fronted band, the cranberries are much better even if I son't like them so much.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:37 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
I've just listen to the link of Screaming Females and to me it's not good at all. It's just generic crappy alt rock. The name of the band is just pathetic. It reaks wanna-be feminist.The easthetic is just nauseating.

Pardon me but I see nothing generic about the band at all. If anything, what made them so unique to me is how riff-heavy they are for an alt-rock band, and I don't get a feminist vibe from their music or lyrics at all. The lead singer is a lesbian but she doesn't express her beliefs about social constructs at all. They may be generic in the alt-rock sense because they're not really that weird or alternative, if anything, they're more rock revivalists who like catchy hooks and loads of distortion, but that hardly makes them generic.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
lost_wanderer wrote:

Pardon me but I see nothing generic about the band at all. If anything, what made them so unique to me is how riff-heavy they are for an alt-rock band, and I don't get a feminist vibe from their music or lyrics at all. The lead singer is a lesbian but she doesn't express her beliefs about social constructs at all. They may be generic in the alt-rock sense because they're not really that weird or alternative, if anything, they're more rock revivalists who like catchy hooks and loads of distortion, but that hardly makes them generic.

I've may have been a little harsh with my comment but the name of the band rubbed me in the wrong way I suppose. Passing from a black metal song to this didn't help either. But guts feelings are hard to explain.

Still I don't know what is so good about this band.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:01 pm 

Esben and the Witch count? I highly dig The Coathangers as well.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next