Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:22 pm 

Has anyone here heard of this group? Some things I know of it is that it was formed by Mortician Vocalist Will Rahmer, and the club is set into multiple chapters across the US, kinda like a motorcycle club. You also wear things like a vest with different patches. It's kinda weird.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:16 pm 

There are probably hundreds of these sort of metal-themed clubs/gangs across the country; I have never heard of this particular one. But I have heard of other ones like that. We do have something similar in this area, and its just a few guys who wear patches and dress like a biker gang who are into metal (I am not a member of that particular crew for the record.)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:46 pm 

I bet they have bad taste in metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:23 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
...Will Rahmer...vest

lmao Will Rahmer and his damn vest was like a meme of metal forums 15 years ago. I'm sure if this exists it probably consists of a bunch of guys in their 40, most of which are balding, who talk about the same death metal releases from 1992 endlessly.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:34 pm 

The only metal group I know of in NY state is the U.S. chapter of the Metal Punk Death Squad.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:25 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
nestee8 wrote:
...Will Rahmer...vest

lmao Will Rahmer and his damn vest was like a meme of metal forums 15 years ago. I'm sure if this exists it probably consists of a bunch of guys in their 40, most of which are balding, who talk about the same death metal releases from 1992 endlessly.

That sounds exactly like our local metal biker gang crew, ha ha. At a recent show, I saw that one of their girlfriends was even sporting a matching vest with the "Prospect" badge on it.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:14 am 

I never got that shit. It's been around forever, and I could never wrap my head around it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:49 am 

You've got the gist of it. The only thing I'd even correct is that it was more about all things brutal/horror/gore than old stuff.

They'd book shows from bars/clubs to backyard BBQs, promoted bands, tied some distros/labels/bands together, and helped their buddies find booking/accomodations with other buddies when touring. Basically what you'd expect. Leather vests and patches, membership dues and mailing lists, chapters, and a formal list of biker-gang-style initiation rules that probably weren't adhered to strictly. Basically, required a bit of doing something promoting/playing/supporting death metal, I guess. One thing they did do well was throwing support behind little death metal festivals, just sharing it and getting people connected. At local shows in the northeast, there were NYDM folks with posters and flyers for deathfests in the midwest, with a ride and a place to stay if someone vouched for you. That was long enough ago that Mortician were an active band and there were deathfests in the midwest. :lol:

I haven't heard/seen anything from NYDM in years, roughly since MySpace was a thing. Considering their presence was 99% booking shows under their banner and/or standing around at shows with leather vests, I think it's mostly a thing of the past, now. Never had a problem with them, knew many who did. I think I got an email about a brutal death metal BBQ in another state three or four years ago. So, yeah.

godsonsafari wrote:
I'm sure if this exists it probably consists of a bunch of guys in their 40, most of which are balding

In their 30s... ten years ago.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:22 am 

Ehhh it's still around somewhat I suppose, or at least here in Chicago. I've been to a few "festivals" over the years put on by NYDM and the Chicago branch. Basically all it's ever been is a bunch of local bands playing a shitty bar with an occasional bigger name band. I think the biggest name they ever got at any of the shows I was at was Jungle Rot. And even still they're somewhat local.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:45 am 

They helped Solstice on their entire North American tour for their reunion, and I've been seeing a few of them pop up around here at shows for some strange reason, with the backpatch and everything.

Only rumor I heard that sounded terrible was a guy disassociating himself from them because a few of them started getting involved in the meth trade. This was online in a very popular patch trading group but was taken down since.

Never heard any sorts of trouble with them at all though, might talk to one of them sooner or later to see what's up.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:42 am 

I've played shows booked by the New Jersey chapter and these guys are honestly just a group of people who are super passionate about metal.

Not just death metal too-my band was black metal, and I've seen doom, groove, grind, metal/deathcore, and even punk bands booked on their shows.

One guy in the NJ chapter was actually a handmade/boutique guitar effects pedal builder.

Another guy said he'd help me find a band in NC once he knew I was relocating.

The NJ chapter are actually mostly young-ish, 20-30 somethings, and some girls to boot as well.

Yeah they have the imagery of a gang and they do wear kuttes covered in patches, but I have never once seen, not have I heard of anything remotely resembling organized violence from these guys. They always came across-at least to me-as standup guys.

But I was never a member, so make of that what you will.
Obliteration

TuckerofThorrAxe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm 

Solid dudes in the Madison area. They promote like hell and packed our last show in Madison to capacity. Sold out. Made the trip very worth it.

CorvusXIII
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:11 pm 

Hello, If you're a metal head but never heard of battle vest, are you actually a metal head? Nor does any chapter operate as if it's a gang. We are an International Coalition of Death Metal Musicians. We are no different than the various different Punk Clicks that exist except we have manage to combine our efforts under 1 banner. Unlike the punk scene that have various different chapter under different names we choose to fall under one and than support each other scene. I've met members from Switzerland to Mexico and all over the U.S. if you're confused as to who we are and you have members in your area yet are too afraid to reach out and say hi to figure it out, that's not the DMs fault. I personally make sure that our wheelchair bound brother makes it to every show he wants too make, I personally used my own money to buy him a wheelchair ramp so he wouldn't have to bus his awesome comfortable electric wheel chair. We have set up local charity's for kids in need, cancer patients and have even gotten together to clean yards and build handicap ramps to people's homes.

Why are we structured with rank and such? Because you'd have better luck organizing cats and toddlers than metal heads, why is there a "Prospect" phase? So we don't just give your local rapist or womanizer a patch with our names on it. We help local bands load up, provide security, work doors, some have podcast we book hundred of shows, and then when I need a network, when I take my band on tour. There's always a member with open arms, food and a floor to crash on for free because we take care of each other. As a young metal head finding a group who not only is extreme about extreme metal about hell bent on helping the community, it's pretty amazing. My chapter is currently saving up to send people to show around the US and the world. Sending people to small local shows in the west and send people to NY and Flordia for massive events.

Hopes this answers some questions.

duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:42 am 

CorvusXIII wrote:
Hello, If you're a metal head but never heard of battle vest, are you actually a metal head? Nor does any chapter operate as if it's a gang. We are an International Coalition of Death Metal Musicians. We are no different than the various different Punk Clicks that exist except we have manage to combine our efforts under 1 banner. Unlike the punk scene that have various different chapter under different names we choose to fall under one and than support each other scene. I've met members from Switzerland to Mexico and all over the U.S. if you're confused as to who we are and you have members in your area yet are too afraid to reach out and say hi to figure it out, that's not the DMs fault. I personally make sure that our wheelchair bound brother makes it to every show he wants too make, I personally used my own money to buy him a wheelchair ramp so he wouldn't have to bus his awesome comfortable electric wheel chair. We have set up local charity's for kids in need, cancer patients and have even gotten together to clean yards and build handicap ramps to people's homes.

Why are we structured with rank and such? Because you'd have better luck organizing cats and toddlers than metal heads, why is there a "Prospect" phase? So we don't just give your local rapist or womanizer a patch with our names on it. We help local bands load up, provide security, work doors, some have podcast we book hundred of shows, and then when I need a network, when I take my band on tour. There's always a member with open arms, food and a floor to crash on for free because we take care of each other. As a young metal head finding a group who not only is extreme about extreme metal about hell bent on helping the community, it's pretty amazing. My chapter is currently saving up to send people to show around the US and the world. Sending people to small local shows in the west and send people to NY and Flordia for massive events.

Hopes this answers some questions.

"Hopes this answers some questions" there's some people in this post that don't even remember that they used Metal-Archives lol

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:29 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I bet they have bad taste in metal.

That's totally fucking subjective. :durr:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:56 am 

God, this thread's fucking old...

The other day, while at a big street fair type thing and having a seven dollar beer at the beer garden, I did see a dude wearing a denim "battle vest" with tons of patches on it, totally old school style. Kind of made me smile. Had a brief talk with him about bands and days gone by. Guy was about 50. But then again...so am I.

God, I'm fucking old.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:41 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
God, this thread's fucking old...

The other day, while at a big street fair type thing and having a seven dollar beer at the beer garden, I did see a dude wearing a denim "battle vest" with tons of patches on it, totally old school style. Kind of made me smile. Had a brief talk with him about bands and days gone by. Guy was about 50. But then again...so am I.

God, I'm fucking old.

I prefer 'experienced'.

I too saw a (young dude) guy wearing one and it had modern bands on it, and no offence to the kid, but he was green AF. I was also drinking beer but not a fucking 7 dollar one lol. If Fosters ever gets to be 7 bux I'll stop drinking it.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:11 pm 

I paid $13+ for a beer at Pine Knob in Michigan a couple weeks ago.

Granted it was a tall beer, but still the prices are outrageous.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:35 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I paid $13+ for a beer at Pine Knob in Michigan a couple weeks ago.

Granted it was a tall beer, but still the prices are outrageous.

Damn, how many ounces does that buy?
A Fosters Oil can is 25.4oz I think.....that's at the record store I always go to....can't beat that for 4 bux \m/

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:25 am 

People always charge outrageous prices for beers in the States at various festivals and sporting events. This was seven dollars for a 12 Flozz (Fl.Oz) cup. Granted, it was something called "Sockeye Camels Back IPA" or some such thing, made by a local brew pub instead of one of those ultramega multinational "Beer Inc." corporations, so it was a definitely a couple cuts above, say, Bud Light in terms of quality (and alcohol content.) This stuff usually runs for around $11-$12 a six pack, which still isn't cheap.

But one thing about seven dollar beers, is it virtually guarantees that you won't be tempted to drink too many of them- and get yourself in trouble in that way. Especially when they are 14 proof (7% alcohol by volume.)

I once had a denim jacket with "Peace Sells" (Ed Repka album cover art) on the back, and a few bands- Celtic Frost, Metallica, Kreator, on it, and the quote "Drunk with Power, Obsessed with Death" written on it in black marker. I don't know whatever happened to it though.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:54 pm 

I must have missed this thread back when it first started, and I see that a member has responded, but I had the exact same question a few years ago. Some of you might know the festival Blades of Steel that happens in Milwaukee. It's the successor festival to the NYDM Spring Bash. I went to the 10th and final Spring Bash, which was my first time hearing of the NYDM. My sense is that it's basically just a group of metalheads who associated together, sorta like the Old Bridge Militia in New Jersey. And it started in New York, but people spread out over the years.

In any case, the dude who runs that festival is super passionate and knows everything about metal. The second I got to the show, he instantly introduced himself to me and said if I need anything all weekend just to let him know. He said that the 10th edition of that festival was meant to be the last, but then he started a new festival literally the next year (that was temporarily derailed by COVID), and it even uses the exact same colour scheme for the poster. I wonder if he just wanted to change the name because, as this thread indicates, basically nobody knows what the NYDM is anymore.

It's sort of an interesting idea, but it feels like it belongs a bit outdated these days.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:31 am 

I'm still a member of Australian branch under the NYDM group.
Signed up when I was 20 as a "friend" from the states was shortly involved with them (he got booted). I have spoken with some decent people because of it and have a good friend in Sydney who was the leader of the Australian branch (she has since retired but still talks to Will etc)

I still am on the FB group, have a NYDM shirt plus 4 patches (technically I'm the oldest Australian member now lol) but never do anything with it. I have learnt a long time ago that not everyone who listens to good music is themselves a good person however I still keep touch with some folks from the group.

Reply to topic