Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:11 pm 

I'm not gonna argue the validity of this genre as a Metal genre, & the only thing I can say about it's name is that it's stupid & that "Mallcore" isn't a better substitute. But despite the stupid names it has, I like the genre very much. But why am I bringing this up? Fair enough, I'l tell you.

For a very long time, I have wondered if there where others on this site who liked Nu Metal as well. Nothing wrong with liking both Black Metal & Nu Metal. But have never have tried to talk about Nu Metal on the site. It was probably the fear of being banned that kept me from doing so. But people always talk about Punk Rock, Classic Rock, Folk Music, & Ambient Electronic stuff. Why is Nu Metal such a topic of avoidence, fear of being called a poser & being permabanned? It's not like you don't also listen to Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Power Mertal, & so on so forth.

But enough about understanding why such a topic has never been addressed, let's talk about Nu Metal bands you like. My favorites are Disturbed & System Of A Down, but I like nearly every Nu Metal I've heard of (except Deftones). I've always been interested in knowing obscure Nu Metal bands, but the only obscure Nu Metal band I know is Fatal Thirteen. This isn't a recomendation request (though I might do that later), I just want to talk about Nu Metal to anyone willing to do so.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:22 pm 

In generally I don't really care nu-metal, however, I do like some of the bands that have little to no rapping and more experimentation, and actually system of a down is one of my favorite bands and was one of the first heavy band I got into, also I think deftones are pretty good, though they are a more recent taste I acquired, but other than those two, I haven't found any others I liked.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

Honestly I enjoy some nu metal from time to time. I enjoy Dir En Grey and I feel that band has a lot of nu metal tendencies among other things.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:41 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
...the only thing I can say about it's name is that it's stupid & that "Mallcore" isn't a better substitute

I'm not going to comment much on this thread, but this is a silly opinion. Does "power metal" really sound sensible? "Djent"? "Dubstep" or "crunkcore" or whatever the hell they are? Why is every fucking thing on Earth some sort of "core" nowadays, despite having nothing to do with aggressive punk?

Genre names get established by accident, and nobody specifically chooses them. Yes, bands try to establish their own "Hermetic/osmotic violet cactus metal" tags every bloody day just to sound original and to add some well-deserved pretentiousness to their mildly modified metalcore, but genres and subgenres end up being called whatever they happen to be called by accident. And considering that nu-metal is a commercial creation aimed at milking the late 90's waning metal audience that had had a sufficient grunge injection to get addicted to whining, it seems that the genre name is a successful brainfart of some businessman that wanted to sell plastic crap to wannabe half-metalheads with mild forms of retardation and too much puberty hormones, and it stuck. The only silly thing about the tag is that every single band that obviously is a part of the fad, like Korn, wants to distance themselves from it with an incredibly embarrassing desperation. It was a vessel designed for obsolescence, the ship sunk about 11 years ago, and still the undead rats are trying to swim to save themselves. And almost all of it is crap.

Nobody is going to be banned for liking it, for the record. However, turning into a single agenda nuisance that tries to push for nu metal's acceptance as a metal genre to get the non-metal shit onto the MA might end like that. We are surely not going to go that far, are we?

And for the love of Lucifer, Chiquita, and everything that's unholy and reeks of decay, please, please stop capitalizing genres. It looks Stupid.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:11 pm 

i'm a bit of a fan - i'm a very big fan of groove-metal, which most people see as at least a precursor to nu-metal, and i guess its only a small step from there. but i'm still picky about it (as with most things). i'll happily listen to the burning red or il nino, and i don't mind some slipknot, but i still can't stand the more rappy end of the genre. limp bizkit and linkin park are awful.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:17 pm 

I capitalize them because, at least to me, they are proper nouns. They are names for genres.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:31 pm 

Well no, they aren't proper nouns.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:50 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:58 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
I capitalize them because, at least to me, they are proper nouns. They are names for genres.

Yeah. And "Car" is a name for an automobile, and "Dog" is a name for a canine.

Someone, probably Neil deGrasse Tyson, once said that the good thing about science is that it's true, no matter if you choose to believe it or not. Well, the same goes for grammar.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:51 pm 

I still like some of the nu metal bands that I grew up with seeing as they are the bands that got me into metal in the first place. Now I'm not quite sure where the lines are drawn (I've never been great with genres except for the obvious) but I'm still a sucker for bands like Dope, Static-X (only their older material), Powerman 5000 (pretty much just TTSR), Rage Against the Machine, the first Linkin Park CD, some Nine Inch Nails. Again not sure if all those qualify but that was what was popular when I was an early teen so right about 2000 when the nu metal scene was booming. Either way I still get down with that stuff from time to time and feel no shame about it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:03 pm 

For me it's an incredibly hit or miss genre (?). I've discovered Deftones last winter and been on a massive phase ever since, awesome band combining aggression with atmosphere - although I'm not sure how much of their stuff actually counts as nu-metal. I enjoy both Linkin Park and System of a Down a lot, both are lots of fun to listen to and have experimented quite a lot with their sound.

On the other hand, Slipknot is an absolute lottery for me, I've heard songs from them ranging from catchy as hell to super-uninteresting, while KoRn is just... ugh.

All I can think of for now, I don't dislike the genre (or whatever it is) as much as some people, but it's incredibly random for me - some bands manage to sound great and energetic, others just bore me to death.

Last edited by TheLiberation on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:12 pm 

I dig early Korn and Slipknot, Slipknot moreso since they were the first "heavy" band I got into. Their first album's best trait is just the energy exuding off the music. Korn's 90s material is legit good, but everything they've done past Issues has been insanely hit-or-miss, or, in the case of their dubstep album, just plain crappy.

As for System of a Down, I never really considered them nu metal outside of certain songs. I do enjoy the hell out of them, though, and I just want them to stop fighting with each other and make a new album already.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:37 pm 

Splipknot has some okay tunes, they're a little catchy for a metal band and have some dumb angsty parts like most radio bands or whatever. I don't really find them much good outside of workout music and even then I prefer grindcore. Other than that I've never liked any nu-metal, besides maybe some late 90's Slayer stuff and other random thrash bands embracing the new wave of metal around that time.

LightningSlayer13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:42 pm 

Back when I was getting into metal, I listened to "nu metal" bands like Disturbed and the early Slipknot and some of Drowning Pool's stuff, and Roots era Sepultura. Thing is though, once I discovered the more extreme side of metal, I never wanted to listen to nu-metal again. It felt so childish, boring, and weak and really almost laughable. The albums have way too much filler and there are only a few songs that are actually decent and the lyrics are too "Wah I so angry, anger anger roar!!" for me. Sometimes I go back and listen to Roots or Slipknot, for nostalgia's sake, and I end up listening to a few songs for a few minutes until a certain point where I can't stand it anymore and end up listening to something else.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 pm 

Well i love SOAD but i would'nt call "nu" metal, alternative metal i guess with some "true" metal in there.

Songs like these are pretty damn metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olILVp-J7Y8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB68AOtT-mo

And i kinda like Korn's debut, very dark and twisted.

Last edited by Folkemon_ on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

I actually really dig System of a Down. The self titled rips in a totally weird way. It's got rock and roll guitars with crazy distortion, and Serj delivers a vocal performance that few can match. Is it always good, no. But it is totally unique and I applaud them for that. I also never thought of them too much as 'nu-metal', but rather as avant garde grunge. I also have to put in a word for Linkin Park. They were totally my gateway band into heavy music, and for that, they shall hold a special place in my heart. Their music is catchy, the whiny lyrics evoke some fond teenage memories, and the chunky guitars give the heaviness that hip hop always alluded to but never delivered on. Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Mudvayne never quite clicked for me though. As a whole, I enjoy nu-metal that isn't pretentious. It exists, and its easier for me to enjoy because I don't feel like it tries to be 'modern', it just is. However, I strongly dislike groove metal. I will remain one of the strongest naysayers of Pantera and Black Album era Metallica, because there is a decidedly lacking energy to the style that just makes it boring for me.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:12 pm 

I do. To some degree, at least. I grew up with nu-metal bands, they (along with Suffocation, if you can actually believe it) were my gateway into heavy music (or metal, regarding your views on the subject) so naturally, I still find some appeal in returning to it from time to time. I enjoyed Slipknot, Soulfly and Coal Chamber to name a few, but Mushroomhead was my favourite. I guess I would still consider the 'Shrooms to be my "favourite" nu-metal band today, though I'm not a fan as I once was.

I guess it's a nostalgic thing mostly.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 pm 

No.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
No.

There are a lot of things to say no to in a nu-metal thread. Which statement in particular?

Edit: I would like to apologize for the fact that I just used the term nu-thread as a typo. I am embarrassed.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:04 pm 

Whatever. I like Korn. Fuck you, you probably listened to N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys when you were twelve you fucking loser.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:10 pm 

Hey now. If the social media reaction to the VMAs was anything to go by, there are a lot of 20-30 year old men that go nuts for NSYNC.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:21 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Whatever. I like Korn. Fuck you, you probably listened to N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys when you were twelve you fucking loser.

And they say nu-metal isn't a genre for angsty douchebags; wait, no they don't.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Hey now. If the social media reaction to the VMAs was anything to go by, there are a lot of 20-30 year old men that go nuts for NSYNC.

The only thing I remember about the VMAs is Miley Cyrus' butt stuffed into some weird PVC boy shorts and oozing all out like chicken slime. Wait, that happened at the VMAs, right?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:38 pm 

Yup. There was a big discussion about that and why anybody should even care numerous pages ago.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:41 pm 

The only good nu-metal band is/was Deftones, but honestly their more blatantly nu-metal material is their worst stuff by far. They were at their best when they were basically a heavier version of Radiohead.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:56 pm 

I only ever liked Slipknot and System Of A Down when growing up, and Linkin Park as well I guess but they never sounded metal to me. All the other sounded like crap to me and never failed to deliver a headacce, stuff like Korn, Drowning Pool, Sepultura, etc.

It has been years since I last listened to LP and SOAD but some time ago I revisited Slipknot first few albums for nostalgia sake and I got a headache as a result. Sometimes they are catchy, sometimes they almost tap into the "angsty psycho music" sound they seem to aim for, but mostly they fall short into their faces and do lame chugga chuggas. And those fucking DJ noises are terrible. But my #1 grip with them is that shithead vocalist of theirs, he literally doesn't knows how to shutup, always screaming and screaming(when he is not trying to rap, which is just as bad), and the screams he use are very grating to the ears, after listening to just one song I found myself wanting to shove a drill into my eardrums. It's just bad, no nostalgia googles could fix that.

The first album is a bit better, different vocalist, style and everything, but its still not very good. There is a lot of better stuff around, no point in bothering with nu-metal.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:59 pm 

Corey Taylor's gotten so much better as a vocalist in terms of when and when not to talk. I recommend giving the new Stone Sour double album a listen.

Also, the drumming on the first Slipknot album is really, really good. Joey by himself is a damn good player, but with that material he just went nuts. It's very much a "lead drummer" album a lot of the time.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 am 

Nu Metal was my gateway to metal back in the early 2000s. Going back and hearing a lot of those albums now I used to enjoy mostly just bore me now and sometimes the vocals even annoy me.

Slipknot and koRn I always disliked as I hated the vocals. Adema and Taproot (I only ever liked like one song anyways) I find to have annoying vocals now. Drowning Pool used to be a favorite but I just find them boring now, and same with Papa Roach and Coal Chamber.

The ones I still can enjoy though are Soil, Mudvayne, Disturbed's debut (And Believe sounds dreadfully dull now though it wasn't quite nu metal), Static X (if they count) and Ill Nino.

Now that my ears have gotten so accustomed to much more aggressive and heavier stuff in metal most of the nu metal bands sound watered down and boring. Even the stuff in nu metal that I still enjoy have lost a lot of the flair for me for the same reasons.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:54 am 

I like making fun of it.

God I'm so happy I lived in Florida when all this was going on and was introduced to Death Metal fairly young.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 am 

Generally, no.

Most of it is annoying, non musical, gives me a headache, leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, and sounds like someone's feeble and failed attempt to sound heavy and aggressive but with lame, not at all catchy riffs and equally lame "I'm tough and wanna beat you up" lyrical posturing. I was too old to have that as my "gateway" as I was raised on stuff like AC/DC, KISS, and various glam rock bands etc- who were in my opinion, much better than that Korn, Biskit, Slipknot stuff.

Well there are a couple exceptions, being System of a Down (some great riffs, a distinctive sound, and good songwriting) and Chevelle (some good songs, but some not so good songs, I dunno, I think they have some good stuff.) Mastodon is okay too, but I'm not sure if you would consider them "nu" metal or not- some people do, I'm kinda on the fence about lumping them in with that other "music."

Don't know how Tool and the Deftones always get lumped in with Nu Metal either. To me that's a bit unfair, as there is a huge and incomparable difference between these bands and crap like Mudvayne and Static X- but I do like Tool and the Deftones too, whatever you call them.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:42 am 

Slipknot are pretty consistently good, Static-X's debut is cool, Disturbed were alright as a nu-metal band on The Sickness (but much better as "that one hard rock band your dad listens to so he can stay hip"), Mudvayne are tolerable sometimes, and Mushroomhead are pretty agreeable for most of their discography. Everything else is pretty terribad. Basically, the more super-pissed-off it sounds and the less whiny and introspective it tries to be, the better.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:47 am 

I always thought Slipknot were a good band with lame songs. The drummer and both guitarists in particular can outplay most extreme metal musicians. Corey Taylor is an excellent vocalist, but the style he chooses to employ in Slipknot is far too grating on my ears to digest. His work in Stone Sour is great though.

Always enjoyed Powerman 5000, good for what they are or try to be.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:58 am 

i still haven't heard stone sour beyond a few acoustic songs a mate of mine used to play when we were drankin a few years ago. time to put my spotify subscription to use, eh?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:09 am 

Definitely, if you paid for Spotify Premium :P

Never liked Stone Sour either, but it's the best use of Corey Taylor's pipes. The Anselmo wannabe style in Slipknot is a pretty poor representation which they insist on using for whatever reason.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:43 am 

In general I don't like the genre but as many have said before I did listen to System of a Down when they broke through. I believe its their two first albums I own. Can't say I ever listen to them today but I can see why I did. But then again I'm not sure I would classify this band as nu-metal.

I do appreciate a couple of other albums that people have classified as nu-metal namely Sepulturas Roots and Machine Heads The Burning Red. The latter being more nu-metal than the former. Neither is good through and through and the Sepultura one is to long for sure. But to me both albums have really high peaks even though the valleys are pretty deep at times.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 am 

you know, for all his bandwagon-jumping, i have to respect robb flynn for being so damn versatile. he's covered 3-4 genres/sub-genres now and been at the top of the heap in all of them. and you can go straight to his arguably worst album, the burning red, to hear what i mean - whether you like the style or not, i find it hard to imagine someone not admitting that those choruses are fuuuucking catchy. and it's only better from there: burn my eyes deserves a grammy.

also, i met him when i was 16 or so. they were in australia with slayer in 2000, and he was doing a TV interview. i called out to him, he stopped mid-interview, came over and had a short chat (really, genuinely enthusiastic), then went back to the interview. kinda sold me on the guy

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:02 am 

I was a massive, massive, MASSIVE Machine Head fanboy between like 2003-2006, and even I knew their nu metal fucking sucked. Seriously, they're like Limp Bizkit bad at nu metal. Vile, cancerous shite.

(The title track on TBR is solid, as is the opening riff for the first song, [which they had been using as a Davidian opening since like '95] and Silver is catchy, I'll pay that, but otherwise ATROCITY!)

As for the actual topic. No, I don't like nu metal, it's how I came into the genre all those years ago, so it still holds an importance to me, and every few years I'll have a nostalgia trundle through old songs, but the music really is awful in every imaginable way. I tend not to publicly rip on the bands I once adored because I'd feel like a hypocritical cockstain, but in my heart I know exactly how bad it is and couldn't say I actually enjoy any of it beyond nostalgia trips.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:16 pm 

My gateway into anything resembling metal was a band called Demon Hunter, and I still like them to this day. I've heard some people identify them as nu metal, but I don't really see it. Apart from that, I maintain Slipknot's debut and Iowa are respectable metal albums. I don't listen to them for personal reasons, but I still find them enjoyable from a purely musical standpoint. Outside of that, I guess Linkin Park's first two aren't bad either, but I never really cared for them much.

The rest of nu metal, I either never heard or don't really remember. I know "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit and "Coming Undone" by KoRn, and that's about it.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 pm 

I like SOAD's "Lonely Day" but that is not nu-metal exactly

oh, and the Fear Factory cover Epica made, "Replica" - But I don't like the original version, the vocals are a dealbreaker for me (and that's the big reason why I don't like nu-metal)

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm 

I like the first Korn album which I think is a pretty distinctive/original album even though some of the whining can get cringeworthy. SOAD's Toxicity is great although the rest of their stuff is inconsistent at best (and riffwise they don't fit with most nu metal bands anyways), and even that one isn't without its ridiculous moments. Overall I think Nothingface's Violence is the most solid nu metal album out there from start to finish, with some relatively technical rhythms and tons of chunky aggression closer to LD50-era Mudvayne than the poppier side of nu metal. Can't stand the rap-oriented bands at all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Crisis' Deathshead Extermination is a really good album too. Kind of in the vein of early Korn but with really harsh and distinctive female shrieking vocals, kind of like a nu metal Fear of God or something. Apparently she now sings with Ephel Duath, and the band is M-A approved too (supposedly their first album is death/thrash but what I've heard sounds just like their later music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtIGl8fhZM

Against Such Things wrote:
My gateway into anything resembling metal was a band called Demon Hunter, and I still like them to this day. I've heard some people identify them as nu metal, but I don't really see it. Apart from that, I maintain Slipknot's debut and Iowa are respectable metal albums. I don't listen to them for personal reasons, but I still find them enjoyable from a purely musical standpoint. Outside of that, I guess Linkin Park's first two aren't bad either, but I never really cared for them much.

The rest of nu metal, I either never heard or don't really remember. I know "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit and "Coming Undone" by KoRn, and that's about it.

Demon Hunter is more "metalcore", and on the melodic and metallic side of things imo, definitely not nu metal at least on what I've heard.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next