Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Blood and Honor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 pm 

So-called Nu-metal is an extremely low IQ musical genre and, although I guess it's sort of okay for people who are little more than casual music fans who do not appreciate or care for finer details in music, I still wouldn't recommend it even to those people. Everyone is just better off listening to high IQ music, in my opinion.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41 am 

I can't understand why these forums can't seem to get over nu-metal. It died years ago. We can finally pretend like it never happened, and still, people keep mentioning it.

last.fm

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 am 

Blood and Honor wrote:
So-called Nu-metal is an extremely low IQ musical genre and, although I guess it's sort of okay for people who are little more than casual music fans who do not appreciate or care for finer details in music, I still wouldn't recommend it even to those people. Everyone is just better off listening to high IQ music, in my opinion.

I wouldn't really go so far as to say that's it's too simplistic to be enjoyable. Nu metal artists simply prefer riffs that are catchier and easier to grasp to a more general audience who aren't as into music as us, but that doesn't mean their musical "IQ" is low. Calling it low IQ is just pretentious and arrogant.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:53 am 

Ohrwurm wrote:
I can't understand why these forums can't seem to get over nu-metal. It died years ago. We can finally pretend like it never happened, and still, people keep mentioning it.

I have the same opinion about people who deliberately use trash can production for a purposely low fidelity recording when nowadays technology provides a lot better quality home studios than what was available in, say, the early 90's for the same price. The only bands who were really able to pull it off have moved on to better production or died trying.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:59 am 

I really did like Numetal a lot when I was younger. Truly and completely. And I especially liked Korn's first the albums. Now, though, I can't believe there was I ever a time where I possibly could have enjoyed them.

Korn were a bunch of white trash meth addicted losers from some white trash part of California, but when I was a kid, I couldn't see that. I was a white trash loser myself (Google "Caledonia, MS". That is where I grew up), so a bunch of braindead tweakers rapping over skronky guitar noise sounded amazingly fresh (fresh as in "new and different", not "phat, dawg") at the time.

I actually remembered another one of their "let's smoke some crystal and 'rap' over processed guitar scraping" songs a couple of nights ago and checked youtube to refresh my memory of it... It was completely awful and cringe-inducing. I felt embarrassed knowing there was I time when I sincerely liked that stuff, and thought the homoerotic part near the end was super-edgy and totally sticking it to people.... because, you know, PEOPLE = SHIT.

In short: No, sir. I don't like it. That said, I basically only ever think about it when I see it brought up here, or see some ancient deadstock woven Korn patch no one is ever going to buy during ebay searches.

Blood and Honor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:37 am 

Arkhane wrote:
Blood and Honor wrote:

I wouldn't really go so far as to say that's it's too simplistic to be enjoyable. Nu metal artists simply prefer riffs that are catchier and easier to grasp to a more general audience who aren't as into music as us, but that doesn't mean their musical "IQ" is low. Calling it low IQ is just pretentious and arrogant.

Nu-metal songs thrive on riffs with two or three notes. Sometimes one note. You find that pattern over and over again and it's an integral part of the genre. That's the same thing kids do when they are handed musical instruments for the first time in their lives.

Nirvana is catchy. Nu-metal is plain low IQ.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:03 am 

Blood and Honor wrote:

Dude, get off your high horse for once.

There's no music for intelligent people, and there's no music for dumb people.
I can agree there's music made by musicians to musicians (like some extreme forms of technicality in jazz, for example), but music is not selective about IQ.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 am 

When I was a kid I was into stuff like Linkin Park. The only "nu-metal" band that I liked that survived my metamorphoses from shit head angsty high-schooler to shit head existential angsty young adult was Deftones. I haven't listened to them in ages, but White Pony is pretty awesome, and some of their later stuff after that is pretty good. Not a huge fan of their really early stuff, but yeah. Deftones are definitely more interesting to me than any of their other "nu-metal" contemporaries, probably because they abandoned the over the top aggression pretty early on and went for a more poetic, contemplative style.

And yeah, that whole high IQ music thing... what's high IQ music to that guy? I mean, ultimately most rock and metal music is fairly basic, all things considered. Yes even the more involved and technical prog bands.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
And yeah, that whole high IQ music thing... what's high IQ music to that guy? I mean, ultimately most rock and metal music is fairly basic, all things considered. Yes even the more involved and technical prog bands.

Exactly, some people like to think that themselves are special just because they listen to 'true' metal. Well, the world really doesn't care about whatever are your musical tastes.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:04 pm 

Blood and Honor wrote:
Nu-metal songs thrive on riffs with two or three notes. Sometimes one note. You find that pattern over and over again and it's an integral part of the genre. That's the same thing kids do when they are handed musical instruments for the first time in their lives.

:annoyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkf45_OW3h8

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:05 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
Blood and Honor wrote:

Congrats, bud. You got me relistening to the double-album. It's even better than I remembered. Then again, this weed be fiiiiiiiiiine.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:31 pm 

I was into metal so many years before the nu metal appeared that it didn't impacted me much, if any. Early/mid 90's radio friendly hard/rock metal was in crisis. I remember for example that I heard a band with simple yet heavy guitars with a whiny vocalist once, then I knew they were Deftones. Some guys were going nuts over these new 'jumpdafuckup' bands, where I couldn't find much talent and/or enjoyment, but... Korn's debut for an alternative hard/rock thing wasn't bad and Mudvayne had a heavier approach with a great bassist but all of them were kinda forgettable. Sevendust was pretty alright tho. Slipknot had the potential to be a great band too.

Now, when Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park appeared, I thought nu metal couldn't go any lower. Durst rapping over a 1 note pseudoriff was something hard to survive from. LP? that shit looked like secondary school boys wanted to play to be rockstars or something, 'twas like a Kris Kross revival or something.

I'm not a real conossieur of the genre but Paparoach was to my ears the most terrible well known band from the bunch. Ripping off Iron Maiden wasn't enough, the songs, lyrics and especially the vocalist were absolute vomit inducing.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:50 pm 

That double album was badass.... A lot of it was funny too

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm 

I was into it from the 2000-2004 bracket or so. Not super into it, but I liked a good bit of the obvious mainstream stuff. Once I got more into metal as a whole in 2005 though, I stopped listening to it as much, though some of it still remains in semi-regular rotation. Not all of it was TOO bad, but some of it was just too abhorrent for me.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:01 pm 

CCSaint10 wrote:
Not all of it was TOO bad, but some of it was just too abhorrent for me.

You can say exactly the same about almost every metal subgenre.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:31 pm 

Although I never thought of it as such, I always liked Sepultura's "Roots".

Besides that, I can get into early Korn and later Pantera if someone is playing it at their house. Hasn't happened lately though, last time in the 1990s.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:37 am 

Well, in my opinion, nu metal tends to be sucky, but some bands get to a good level. Particularly, I like System of a Down and early Slipknot, I've seen both bands live in Rock in Rio and it was pretty good.

I'm mentioning two mainstream bands because I don't bother myself to get really into nu metal. Dude, underground nu metal must suck dick.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:23 am 

well, only in the same sense that underground <any other genre> metal must suck: a whole lot of shit, but the odd gem. good songwriting transcends these genres, and nu-metal's no exception.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:21 am 

Well, the quality of production is one of the things that attract me the most in the few nu metal I listen to. I wouldn't refuse to listen if someone recommended me a nu metal band though.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:16 pm 

I used to listen a crap load of nu-metal even when I was first getting into extreme metal. I recently found my Korn's Greatest Hits CD, though I can't say I have much of a desire to listen to it. Really the only nu-metal I'll still listen to today is Linkin Park's first two albums (which are both 10/10 albums for me), as well as some Deftones. Linkin Park was my favorite band back when I was about 10 years old! Actually, the only album I listen to by the Deftones is Around the Fur, though I do have a desire to check out some of their more recent stuff.

Blood and Honor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:13 am 

Yayattasa wrote:
Blood and Honor wrote:

Dude, get off your high horse for once.

There's no music for intelligent people, and there's no music for dumb people.
I can agree there's music made by musicians to musicians (like some extreme forms of technicality in jazz, for example), but music is not selective about IQ.

There certainly is music for dumb and intelligent people and nu-metal is among the genres that appeal to the former group. I'm not saying this to be arrogant, but simply because it is the way of things. Some people prefer simpler things in life because they don't understand more complex things, and that's okay. There is no shame about it.

Arkhane wrote:
Blood and Honor wrote:

What are you trying to prove with that? SoaD are so diverse that they can barely be considered nu-metal. Basically what you're saying by linking that song is that the less nu-metal there is in nu-metal, the better it is, and I totally agree with that. That's one of the worst examples you could have come up with in order to show that nu-metal doesn't suck.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:43 pm 

I disagree. I like Nu Metal, does that make me less intelligent? I also listen to Progressive Metal & Classical pieces, does that make me more intelligent? Sure, maybe the less intelligent can't comprihend the more complex & more fast paced stuff, but that doesn't mean that the more catchy & more simplistic is designed for lesser people.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:52 pm 

Blood and Honor, you are ridiculously patronizing and condescending.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:23 pm 

As shitty as nu metal can be, I can't help but read between the lines on Blood and Honor's posts:

Blood and Honor wrote:
What I like is high IQ music, and what I don't like is low IQ music.

That should put it in more perspective.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm 

Blood and Honor is an idiot and an asshole.

There are many different styles of music with different appealing qualities to them. You have no authority to judge a genre of music that way as low I.Q. I know very intelligent people who like Nu metal, or pop punk or other commercial genres that sound 'dumbed down' to metalheads.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:32 pm 

Blood and Honor wrote:
There certainly is music for dumb and intelligent people and nu-metal is among the genres that appeal to the former group. I'm not saying this to be arrogant, but simply because it is the way of things. Some people prefer simpler things in life because they don't understand more complex things, and that's okay. There is no shame about it.

I'm an undergraduate student. Most of my colleagues prefer pop, pop rock, rap, electonic music and, a few, some chilling indie rock whatever. There are maybe 10 metal fans and only 3 die hard metalheads. Ironically, most of my metalhead friends outside university are dumb as fuck.

Blood and Honor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:52 am 

Well, I can see a few butthurt people here! The lot of you sound like I'm forbidding you to listen to Nu-metal, or whatever it is that you like listening to, when I'm doing no such thing. All I did was express my opinion regarding that genre, which is totally in keeping with the topic of this thread, which asks the question "do you like (Gasp) Nu Metal?" I gave my answer and my reasoning, so there is absolutely no need to feel butthurt.

I just think that Nu-metal is to music what fart jokes are to comedy. Sure, some people enjoy fart jokes, and that's all very well and good, but some other people think that the human mind can do much better. It goes beyond just being easy or difficult to play; some music is difficult to play but it's still low IQ, and the reverse is also true. I guess you just have to have a feeling for it.

I hope that clarifies my position, my friends!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:22 am 

Not low IQ material but its the easiest heavy music to digest/understand. For the most part it doesn't have any solos! It's the closest to radio friendly pop stuff you can get with heavy guitars and 'harsh' vocals on it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:23 pm 

Blood and Honor wrote:
Well, I can see a few butthurt people here! The lot of you sound like I'm forbidding you to listen to Nu-metal, or whatever it is that you like listening to, when I'm doing no such thing. All I did was express my opinion regarding that genre, which is totally in keeping with the topic of this thread, which asks the question "do you like (Gasp) Nu Metal?" I gave my answer and my reasoning, so there is absolutely no need to feel butthurt.

I just think that Nu-metal is to music what fart jokes are to comedy. Sure, some people enjoy fart jokes, and that's all very well and good, but some other people think that the human mind can do much better. It goes beyond just being easy or difficult to play; some music is difficult to play but it's still low IQ, and the reverse is also true. I guess you just have to have a feeling for it.

Nah, I think you're feeling like a butthurt dullard now that you realize you can't be an elitist prick without getting called out on it. Keep thinking that musical preference is in anyway related to intelligence (or to use your terminology, 'IQ'). I'm sure that mantra of yours will come in very handy.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:44 pm 

Blood and Honor wrote:

Just calling you an asshole or something does not make us butthurt. You are free to provide your opinion with your reasoning, and we are free to tear it apart as it is a stupid opinion based on stupid interpretations. ;)

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:32 am 

Blood and Honor wrote:

The reason these people are jumping down your throat is because as much as you try to deny it, you are directly comparing how smart a person is to what kind of music they write or listen to. This is not only condescending, but it is arrogant and pretentious. You could say "I enjoy more complicated and technically advanced music" instead of "I prefer smarter music because everything else is for dumber, simpler minded people."

Besides, every Einstein needs a good fart joke once in a while.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:46 am 

I think it's pretty hard to deny that nu-metal is "low IQ music", but at the same time I definitely don't think that's really much of a reason to dislike it. I don't really like it at all, myself (I'm definitely one of those people who would say that the less nu-metal was in a nu-metal band, the better - see: Deftones) but I certainly like some music that's not anything that could really be described as highbrow art. Fucking Asphyx? That shit ain't jazz.

The "IQ level" of nu-metal has fuck all to do with why I dislike it. I don't like it because typical nu-metal riffs are really boring, the guitar and especially bass tones are really annoying, the vocalists are almost universally awful and the hip-hop influence always felt really ham-fisted and out of place whenever it was incorporated.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:24 am 

Well, you have your opinion and I have my wallaby

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 pm 

If System Of A Down and Deftones count, I guess I do. And Mudvayne's first album is pretty decent. I respect Korn but despise Jonathan Davis' vocals... otherwise they're actually a pretty solid band musically until just recently (that dubstep album is when they really jumped the shark).

Slipknot is terrible in pretty much all aspects.

Machine Head and Sepultura's journeys through nu metal are good for a laugh.

So, overall, a mostly useless genre with a few good things going for it.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:16 pm 

What the fuck is a "low IQ musical genre"?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:01 am 

Terri23 wrote:
What the fuck is a "low IQ musical genre"?

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:48 pm 

I had been a big fan of Nu-Metal from 1997 or so too many bands to mention. One of the obscure ones I would say Motograter, Ultraspank and Snot.

The only reason nu-metal is considered as a taboo on these forums, its like a mixture between metal and rap which creates a combination which conservative metal listeners do not agree with. You cant simply cherish Burzum and Satiricon and accept nu-metal. I was always a music fan and I didnt feel right committing myself to a specific genre for a long time because then you become judgmental of other music (thats my opinion). There are very few metal heads who would publicly say here that they like Justin Timberlake's music. There would be judgment, there would be assumptions what kind of person you are, bla bla bla.

Everyone want to belong to something and as far as Nu-metal culture at a time it was the today's "YOLO" attitude. It was repulsive and probably still is to some members who consider it a low IQ music, without substance, simply empty and horseshit. Nu Metal put the Dickies brand on the map, everyone knew that Dickies was a working class clothing line but after Paparoach and Coal Chamber and Korn it became a massive fashion brand. You will pay 500$ for a double colour short sleeve shirt. Nu metal died, in my opinion in the mid 2000's after the hype of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit. We can say the same decline about so many genres like Glam Metal and Hard Rock, there is no Poison or Guns N' Roses like bands anymore.

inman56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:23 pm 

Fuck off you cunts. Nu Metal had balls.

inman56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:40 pm 

The women in Kittie have more balls and intellect than you wankers who have nothing better to do than conjur up bullshit.
SPIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! The guitars rides two notes but I DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUUCCCKKKKK. Just SPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiTTTTTT.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 pm 

Fuck off, troll

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next