Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inman56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:10 pm 

Maybe you should listen to some pussy music like Girlschool because the chicks in Kittie and Coal Chamber make music too masculine for you. BANG YOUR HEAD TO KITTIE!!!!! I HAVE A LOW IQQQQQ!!!!!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:31 pm 

inman56 wrote:
The women in Kittie have more balls and intellect than you wankers who have nothing better to do than conjur up bullshit.
Spoiler: show

SPIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! The guitars rides two notes but I DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUUCCCKKKKK. Just SPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiTTTTTT.

I do enjoy Kittie's Oracle but, sadly, the band evolved into something built around their image instead of their sound (exactly the opposite to Slipknot, which went full merchandising over their image halfway through their career, then started to care about their sound first).

Off-Topic> Thanks to your comment, I spent a lot of time trying to compose a two-notes rhythm for a song haha
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:04 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I think it's pretty hard to deny that nu-metal is "low IQ music", but at the same time I definitely don't think that's really much of a reason to dislike it. I don't really like it at all, myself (I'm definitely one of those people who would say that the less nu-metal was in a nu-metal band, the better - see: Deftones) but I certainly like some music that's not anything that could really be described as highbrow art. Fucking Asphyx? That shit ain't jazz.

The "IQ level" of nu-metal has fuck all to do with why I dislike it. I don't like it because typical nu-metal riffs are really boring, the guitar and especially bass tones are really annoying, the vocalists are almost universally awful and the hip-hop influence always felt really ham-fisted and out of place whenever it was incorporated.

See, that's an actual legitimate reason to dislike nu-metal, and one that I am a proponent of as well. I just hate when people shit talk a genre (even if I dislike it) by calling it low IQ. It's just a sad attempt to sit smugly in self-superiority. Nu-metal may not be "intelligent" but most "pop" music (I mean that to encompass pretty much any conventional rock/metal band, current top 40 performer, rap, basically anything that isn't erudite, classical) isn't either. Just because a band like say... Exivious plays faster, or more technical or *gasp* jazzy (please legitimize my taste in music), doesn't mean it's more "intelligent". I'd say the same for improvisational jazz/rock, I'd say if anything these musicians are more creative in their incorporation of different playing and songwriting techniques, but more intelligent? No way, man.

Lyrical concepts would be maybe the only thing that I would consider to be more or less intelligent, but let's not fool ourselves. Metal is filled to the brim with hokey lyrics about angels and demons, heaven and hell; half-baked philosophy and metaphysics; bad poetry about winter landscapes and more. Don't get me wrong, I love all this stuff, I'm primarily a metal-head for a reason, but if one thing rubs me the wrong way in metaldom, it would be this smug sense of superiority that permeates the conversation about topics which are not "worthy".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:40 pm 

Nu metal is certainly not smart music, but there's a difference between that and saying that only dumb people like it. People have many, many different reasons for liking music and just liking it alone says nothing about them as people, let alone their intelligence. There are lots of different factors.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:55 am 

Jungle Rot is no higher IQ than nu metal, yet they get a lot of praise around here.

I feel my IQ dropping the most when listening to slam over anything else, but that isn't why I can't stand listening to it for the most part.

PizzaLovingDenizenOfHell666999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 am 

Well I do even when I'm listening to a lot of other thrash, death metal and all that other stuff. I honestly wouldn't have gotten into metal if I didn't come across Slipknot or Kittie or SOAD. So I commend these bands. They are not to be dismissed

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:06 pm 

i've had a re-think about the "low IQ" thing and there's definitely an element of truth to it - the genre clearly has qualities that appealed to the dumbshits of the day, can't deny it. and the musicians cashed in on the fact, they knew their target demographic, and i think a good argument for that could be made in that so many nu-metal bands "smartened" it up suddenly in the 00s, just as nu-metal died. there definitely aren't many nu-metal bands that still sound the same as they did in 1999, if any at all.

another thing to note is that nu-metal is very much a period thing: it filled a hole in the late 90s where rock had become wussy, and rap too hardcore. it's a very, very rich blend of the two - even without rapping vocals, it's often hard to distinguish the % of rap to rock, in music, attitudes, fashion, etc. but now that both the "source" genres have again diversified, nu-metal has no place in the world and to the outsider (read: pretty much anyone who wasn't in high school in the late 90s) it must seem amazingly retarded. it's aged so badly that it's already quaint, barely 10 years after it died.

UKMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 am 

I like Nu Metal and there are some very talented bands out there. A lot of the time I find these Nu Metal bands to be from America, some with poor backgrounds, and their music has all sorts of elements to it from other non-metal genres like rap (Limp Bizkit). I think Nu Metal is a sub genre which wants to give metal that bit of variety and in a sense stop the anti-metallers saying "All metal is satanic, screaming, shouting, growling, lyrics about death, emo etc etc etc and sort of wanting to silence people from stereotyping.

Having said that my favourite bands in the Nu Metal scene are Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne, Ill Nino, Deftones, One Minute Silence (not very well known One Minute Silence and I would recommend anyone to check them out).

The band that I don't really care for Slipknot; although there first and second albums were very good the rest of their albums I couldn't really get into except from the odd one or two so I never after that brought any of their later albums.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm 

I have listened and liked pretty much every genre this website as a collective hates. I personally enjoy "nu metal" because I grew up with it. Sure I was born in the ass-end of the "nu metal" movement but that was what was on the radio at the time. I loved Linkin Park's old sound and got into Korn quite a bit.

I also like bands like Suicide Silence, vildhjarta and Meshuggah; all of which are taboo bands on this forum. I think people on this forum are a little too dismissive when it comes to up and coming genres. I've noticed a lot of people who are more partial to death metal and thrash metal than any other genre, which is fine but I think it really limits the music you listen to. I love bands like Vader and Suffocation, but sometimes I need a break from metal. Metal will always be my main music but I like other stuff on the side.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 pm 

None of those bands are taboo though.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 pm 

I think it'd be fair to say SS are taboo on this forum. I'd bet nobody here knows who Vildhjarta actually are; they're ingrained-enough in the djent scene that they don't have the exposure to metalheads needed for there to be any backlash.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I think it'd be fair to say SS are taboo on this forum. I'd bet nobody here knows who Vildhjarta actually are; they're ingrained-enough in the djent scene that they don't have the exposure to metalheads needed for there to be any backlash.

I don't think vildhjarta is well known but they are black listed. A lot of people have said that Meshuggah would have been too if it wasn't for their thrash metal album.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 am 

painfulserenity wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

I don't think vildhjarta is well known but they are black listed. A lot of people have said that Meshuggah would have been too if it wasn't for their thrash metal album.

They're blacklisted, yes, but bands aren't blacklisted from this website out of the existence of a taboo towards them. It's not a mark of shame. For a couple examples off the top of my head: Converge, Queens of the Stone Age and The Angelic Process are all blacklisted from the database due to a lack of predominantly metal content, yet I believe you'll find on the forums that these bands are all held in extremely high regards by the website's userbase. Furthermore, there are bands here on the database that most people absolutely hate (Waking the Cadaver), so I don't see why they would be exempt from this blacklist-endorsed "taboo" you speak of.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:40 am 

I suppose.

As far as nu metal goes, there are several things I like about it. As anyone who has visited my "dsbm" thread can tell you, I like emotion in music. Although I was just five-years-old when Linkin Park came about so most of the lyrics went completely over my head, but the sound was something I could relate to.

I do agree though that bands like Limp Bizkit were pretty much "my girlfriend broke up with me," on repeat.

Soup
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 pm 

I do like some of System's material, but that's about it. And to think I used to listen to Limp Bizkit, Korn and all that shit back in middle school. At least I can laugh about it looking back.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:09 pm 

I love System of a Down. They do have nu metal in some of their material, but I wouldn't call them a nu metal band outright. Old Korn is still good, but what they've become is just maddening to think about. Slipknot was the band that got me into metal music, and since that drum cover contest started last month I've been getting back into them quite a bit.

As for pretty much all the rest, I'm amused by the B-level nu metal bands like Spineshank and Dry Cell because of just how well they conformed to every stereotype and cliche of that genre. "Nobody" by Skindred is also an unintentionally hilarious song for me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:27 pm 

Skindred is awesome and the only nu-metal band that is allowed a spot on my MP3-player.

last.fm

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 pm 

I like Skindred vocals, and their track in NFS:U. Will look upon checking some of their releases.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:05 pm 

If you like Skindred, you'l love Orange Sky.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:38 pm 

I also was quite into Drowning Pool and Saliva at the turn of the century, although that's more to do with their songs being used on WWF shows at the time than anything. Same goes for why I genuinely enjoy Rollin' and My Way by Limp Bizkit, as the two songs were big parts of when I got into wrestling in 2001. Anybody that saw Wrestlemania that year knows how great that song was utilized.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

JAGEagent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:51 pm 

I can't remember the name of it, but someone on a metal forum somewhere linked me to a single good nu metal song. I can't remember what it was though, it was obscure and more overly metallic stylistically and not very hip hop influence at all.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:58 am 

Coal Chamber and Element Eighty is as far as I'll go...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:36 pm 

My first real concert was a Korn concert. Quite frankly, it was nothing special. Other than that, for a while I got into bands like Kittie, Coal Chamber and Slipknot but only because I liked their look (I remember that - back in the day, at least - magazines like Metal Hammer and Kerrang! had posters of those bands virtually every month because of their look). At the same time though, I was already discovering real metal so I didn't listen to that stuff for long.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:38 pm 

Just saw the latest issue of Metal Hammer yesterday and it's entirely dedicated to Nu Metal. Fred Durst, Corey Taylor and Chester Bennington are on the cover, plus it comes with loads of band posters and stickers. One of the stickers says "Defend Nu Metal".

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:58 pm 

I used to listen to the stuff in the late 90s when I was still getting in metal but I grew out of it fairly quickly. Looking back and listening to nu metal now it just seems so uninspiring and bland. Given that its main target audience is angry/angsty teenagers I just don't relate to it anymore. Also, bands like Korn and Slipknot who are grown up and probably really fucking rich writing immature angsty songs feels really fake to me.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:13 pm 

Metal lyrics generally speaking suck, that's why I rarely bother to read them.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 am 

I don't mean to veer off the main topic, but I must say, I never really understood what people saw in SOAD. What exactly is their appeal? I remember really liking "Sugar", and that's literally the only song that I ever enjoyed from them.

I have to say, I think Serj's singing is horrible when he tries that clean, melodic goat-bleating that everyone seems to love. I could never really hear a distinctive quality that makes them "better" (maybe different, but not better) than most others, where I can actually hear it in Deftones.

Even though I stopped paying attention to Deftones right before White Pony came out (I've still never heard it), I can recall them being quite unlike their white trash tweaker and hillbilly fratboy peers, Korn and Limp Bizkit, and all the "post-numetal" sad white guy-macho bands like Linkin Park and Trapt. I'd even go as far as to say, for the most part, they were only numetal by association, because their sound, particularly on songs like "Bored", had more in common with Alternative and Post-Hardcore a la Refused... But, for me, SOAD always just seemed like a slightly more "quirky" take on late 90's numetal before turning into grating and pretentious, yodeling nonsense on Toxicity.

So why such adoration? :scratch:
It's not a rhetorical question. I don't expect anyone to make me like SOAD, and I'm not trying to make anyone "validate" themselves as fans, I just want to understand the appeal for people in the "Numetal sucks, but I still think SOAD is pretty cool" camp.

invitus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:06 am 

I was a big fan of a bunch of nu metal in my teen years, and SOAD vocals didn't work on me neither. Neither powerful nor really bringing the music together to my ears. Maybe unique I guess, but unique has to work.

:)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:56 am 

I like a couple of SOAD songs: Spiders and Aerials, both are less frantic tracks that build momentum quite well. BYOB is not bad either.

In Aerials the strings in general sound really, really good, if not a bit exotic. The ending of the album version is great too.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:01 am 

Heh, I remember back in the day seeing albums like Slayer's "God Hates Us All", Marilyn Manson's "Holy Wood" and Rammstein's "Mutter" in the Nu Metal section at shops because at the time all popular heavy music was considered Nu Metal... XD

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm 

^ God Hates Us All fits just fine in a nu-metal section.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:02 pm 

It would be foolish to deny the massive influence nu metal had on Slayer in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:10 am 

Deftones, System of a Down are okay.

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 am 

I was so happy when this thread finally died. Was this necro really necessary?

last.fm

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 am 

My pen-name is not an accident, mein freund

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:06 pm 

Though I don't listen that much to them anymore, I used to like Korn's albums up to Life Is Peachy, and I played System Of A Down's self-titled quite often (still, I wouldn't call them nu metal). As for Slipknot or Lickin' Pork, no soft spot. Guess that as I got older I started getting bored with angst-fests and looking for more diversity. Nu metal is too often linked to plain frustration and fails to elicit increased interest.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 am 

NO!! RAP/ROCK ALL SUCKS!!!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

The necromancy of this thread was about as welcome as a nu-metal revival. Let's all pretend it died with dignity.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6