Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:50 pm 

We have a whole thread where I intermittently rip anything WWE has done since 2001 apart for ~10 pages.

Festivus wrote:
I wonder when did Nu Metal start getting a lot of flack from metalheads. I mean nu metal was a gateway drug into "real" metal for many metalheads born in the 80s and 90s. Remember that the 90s were those years post the "metal boom" with Metallica having "sold out", the biggest thrash bands losing quality, Maiden and Priest also being past their prime already, etc. ofc you had some European scenes growing, but as far as mainstream stuff was for people to get into a genre(remember the internet was not as easily accessible as it is nowadays) what other choice did they have other than listen to Pantera, Slipknot, Disturbed, Korn, etc?

Almost immediately. Most of these bands popped up between 1996 and 2000, and I would cruise the Bolt (early social network site) and lurk/post on the metal forum quite often. If somebody brought up Slipknot, Korn, PM5K, or Linkin Park (the most constant names brought up) then they were chastised almost immediately. Most were troll-ish ogres, but some posters actually did the whole "no, that's not really metal, THIS is metal" stuff.

Even IRL, too, it was almost immediately. 8th grade me walking up to somebody who was 17-18 at the mall while wearing a Slipknot shirt and asking about metal resulted in quick laughs at best and the usual "poseur" rants at worst.
Quote:
Btw, many people have no idea that Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park are considered nu metal. Those bands were usually bigger with people who usually don't like metal much. Same for RATM.

That's because nu-metal is less a specific style and more a catch-all term for anything remotely heavy from that era. It's only been in hindsight that specifications became apparent.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 pm 

I know we do, acid_bukkake. But I don't think M_o_T posts there.

Hmm interesting. Well, when I was in 6th-7th grade several of my classmates liked Papa Roach and the older teenagers/young adults of the time considered that to be a trashy band and also looked down on Linp Bizkit as being a band for kids who wanted to act edgy.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 pm 

Festivus wrote:
2006 actually felt like WWE was trying to recreate the AE spark, with the McMahons being regular on-screen characters again, DX reforming, ECW's return as a brand, etc. Then one year later Benoit does... that thing and WWE eventually goes back to being family friendly like it was in the 80s and until the mid-late 90s.

Chris Benoit was one of my favourites. What a savage guy he was.

I'm not the biggest wrestling fan and I don't know as much as others about it, that's why I don't post there. :)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:17 pm 

I was a HUGE Nu metal fan for a while there. 7th grade thru 9th grade and I still like a bunch of t for nostalgia. I still have Linkin Park, PM5K, Static X, Dope (one of my personal favorites) all on my iPod. I'm not ashamed in the least. But, like I've already said, the dudes who got me into that stuff also got me into stuff like Maiden, Priest, a bunch of thrash etc. And then friends at school got me into stuff like black and death metal.

Edit: I should mention I'll be turning 30 this year. So the Nu Metal blow up was perfectly timed for me. I was starting to really get interested in music when it started becoming huge. I still remember seeing Disturbed before they got big.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 pm 

Has anyone ever looked at a prepackaged hardboiled egg and thought "wow, that's really something I want to put through my intestines." ?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm 

Things I hate in nu metal - the drop D "chords" where almost everything is variation of Blind.

The DJ - how was this ever a thing? Let's incorporate a DJ whose one ability is scratching a record.

The rapper - I can see why this was a thing but surely someone realized it miserably failed when Debbie Harry tried it so let it die?

The aesthetic style - these were fully grown adults in this "spooky halloween" attire? With the whole clown makeup, gelled/coloured hair and moping about life is unfair? Did you look in the mirror?

No solos - you took out one of the best most celebrated things in metal, what were you thinking?

One word/made up/number band names - WE are DAMNAGED, WE are Fr0zenhead, WE are 3HIRST, WE are Moongrape, WE are H0rr0rd00r!
Or the two random words placed next to each others like Tower Bag, Chester Dark, Demon Tactic, Cutting Light. Such brood.

The non-acceptance of Nu-Metal - I can't think of one band that acknowledged they were part of a wave of similar bands. It was plainly obvious there were similar characteristics.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:13 pm 

Things I hate about ice cream. It's cold. It's ice. It's cream. If only it were something else, it would be good.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:18 pm 

...there's someone on Earth who doesn't like ice cream? I think you need a doctor to check that out, man.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:19 pm 

Hating 'ice cream'. What are you, Pol Pot?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:19 pm 

It's just too icey and creamy. It needs to stop pretending it's anything other than glorified fat and sugar. The aesthetic style is just soo saccharine and not raw and real enough for me.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:21 pm 

^ Contender for worst human.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:22 pm 

^ Contender for most oblivious human.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:28 pm 

Oh sorry I didn't respond I was too busy laughing at your hilarious ice cream comparison. Oh you sure got me good, said no one.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Things I hate in nu metal - the drop D "chords" where almost everything is variation of Blind.

I like it how you're trying to imply that they're not chords or that they're somehow lesser. I mean, they're the exactly the same chords that make up most metal songs.

Last edited by Acrobat on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:30 pm 

The fact that you think it was about ice cream speaks to your incorrigible obliviousness. And as Acrobat pointed out, apparently a wealth of ignorance when it comes to music as well :lol:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:32 pm 

I think the only nu-metal band I ever got into was Korn. When their second album came out I was already growing fed up with them and I never bought it, but I did jam that first one quite a bit in...I think it was grade ten. That was also the year Sepultura's Roots came out and it was my first exposure to that band. I annoyed a lot of people by playing that thing really loud and screaming along with "Roots, Bloody Roots" and so on. Then one night I was listening to a radio show and they played "Beneath the Remains" and "From the past Comes the Storms" back to back. I had somehow imagined that 80s Sepultura was just primitive noisy shit before then, so I was kind of taken aback by how much more intricate the guitars seemed to be and I think I realised that I wanted more of that.

Nobody in my highschool listened to metal that I knew of, except maybe for one or two Pantera fans. My parents definitely were never metal or even really big rock fans and as has already been said, it's strange to think that some have had the experience of actually growing up hearing heavy music in their family homes. My dad did enjoy some rock stuff like Jethro Tull, Bob Dylan and Frank Zappa but he never played any of those records once he moved in with my stepmother ... it was all jazz and classical (mostly opera) from then on. So I had very little musical guidance when it came to discovering metal...just one friend who turned me on to Metallica and Black Sabbath, and I pretty much did the rest. That same friend was kind of apalled when I showed him Venom a few years later. hahaha...fun times.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm 

I'm not even a big fan of food that's bad for you, but ice cream is the notable exception. I don't want to live to 100 if that means I can't ever have ice cream again. I'd rather die at 70 and still have my occasional ice cream.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:34 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
That's true, but I was like 10 years old in 2006, so I was pretty young and naïve.

Unrelated to the WWE discussion, but man, 2006 feels like yesterday, so to hear that and then to remember it's 2017 now is a bit of a mind-fuck. :P

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Has anyone ever looked at a prepackaged hardboiled egg and thought "wow, that's really something I want to put through my intestines." ?

I have never once seen a pre-packaged hard-boiled egg. Must be an American thing.... o_O

rexxz wrote:
Things I hate about ice cream. It's cold. It's ice. It's cream. If only it were something else, it would be good.

Haha, I'm sure you're joking, mate. :) I love ice cream, especially with Ice Magic and sprinkles on it. Sometimes I go to Cold Rock and get three or four mix-ins with my various ice creams. Also, yes I'm 30. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36 pm 

Yes Mikey, surreal how 2006 was already 11 years ago.

God I played so much Pro Evolution Soccer 5 back then!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 pm 

Festivus wrote:

I hear you! I think I clocked Doom 3 for the 10th time back then, when I was 19 and had no life. Still have no life now, but now I have experience creases on my face. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:41 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Festivus wrote:

I hear you! I think I clocked Doom 3 for the 10th time back then, when I was 19 and had no life. Still have no life now, but now I have experience creases on my face. ;)

Lemme try to remember. I was playing at least these games back then:

PES 5
SD vs. Raw 2006
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario tennis Power Tour
Bully (Canis Canem Edit in Europe)

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 pm 

I never played any of those games but I remember Bully being really controversial at the time. I don't think Australian stores even stocked it.

Also 2006 was only two years after Facebook, one year before smartphones, one year before Twitter, and three years before the iPad/tablets. Lots have changed!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:54 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I never played any of those games but I remember Bully being really controversial at the time. I don't think Australian stores even stocked it.

Also 2006 was only two years after Facebook, one year before smartphones, one year before Twitter, and three years before the iPad/tablets. Lots have changed!

They changed its name in Europe to "Dog eats dog" in Latin, because the name Bully was too aggressive or something. Tbh, the title was kinda misleading. You're not supposed to become a bully in the game, but basically the most popular kid in school in order to avoid getting your as kicked by other factions.

"two years after". Facebook itself as what it is today only became a thing in 2010 or so.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm 

Facebook? :scratch:

2006... Barely remember it, was too busy working 6am til 4pm Monday to Friday, but I think that was the year my other half and I moved in together. She was living across the street from this amazing 120 year old terrace that came up for rent, so we thought "why not?". Put our application in, and (as we were/are a working couple) they approved us immediately. I miss that place. Don't miss paying rent though!

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:09 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

Hmm. I think Blind is actually in A-standard. That's would be the same tuning that Demilich uses, incidentally, although they play on 6-strings, as opposed to KoRn's 7-strings.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:50 pm 

Anyone else in Ontario, Quebec and maybe even New York lose power from freezing rain storm last night? Fairly big-ass outage here in Ottawa, but I was so deeply immersed in Ur Falc'h (great Quebec black metal) to notice until electricity returned at 1:30 am and stuff started beeping to be reset.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 pm 

Hate to break out my shameful, 7th grade, nu-metal beginnings....gulp

Ilwhyan wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

Hmm. I think Blind is actually in A-standard. That's would be the same tuning that Demilich uses, incidentally, although they play on 6-strings, as opposed to KoRn's 7-strings.

Korn was actually kind of a rarity in nu-metal in that they did not use drop-anything tuning. Everything was always in A-standard on a seven string guitar. Regardless of the type of guitar used, nearly all of the other nu-metal bands used drop-something tuning for most of their songs. Deftones, Godsmack, Slipknot, Disturbed, Papa Roach, etc. The only other exception to this was the first two Limp Bizkit albums. Eventually Bizkit switched to 6-strings in drop-B but the first two albums were written on a bizarre custom-made 4-string guitar...not that I would ever encourage anyone to watch a Limp Bizkit music video, but you could clearly see Wes Borland using a 4-string guitar in the video for "Nookie." That's not a bass; their bassist played a 5-string bass. I'm pretty sure Limp Bizkit is the only rock or metal band whose guitarist played with fewer strings than their bassist.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:49 pm 

I like Mudvayne a lot. Those guys surely know how to play, especially when compared to all the bunch of Drop-C strumming "musicians" in Nu Metal.
Napero wrote:
Not to raise any unnecessary alarm, but if Opsius waxes his mustache and drinks from two bottles of Sol simultaneously while wearing his sexy sombrero in the pic he's going to post, he's likely going to be someone's new stepdad within weeks...

I just love how you think, Nappy.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:55 pm 

I was super into nu metal from like 6th to 8th grade (I'll compound this embarrassment by saying I'm only a senior in high school. I could've been introduced through way better shit lol), and I will fight anyone who says Slipknot's first 2 albums aren't fuckin great. My dad showed me stuff like Slayer and SOD somewhere in there, I showed a couple friends, and we mostly got super into thrash. I did a bit of research coming into high school and instead of moving through the chronology of extreme metal, I just jumped straight into tech death shit. I was a Dying Fetus fan before I had ever heard a note of Death, Morbid Angel, Autopsy, etc. I still haven't listened to plenty of "classic" death or black metal bands because I spend a lot of time trying to keep up with newer releases.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:44 pm 

Festivus wrote:

It's the tenth anniversary of my highschool graduation this year. Fuck.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:00 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
It's the tenth anniversary of my highschool graduation this year. Fuck.

26th here.

Youngster! Haha! I'm gonna steal the training wheels from your bike and install them on my walker!

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 pm 

I concluded HS in June 2008. Nearly 9 years ago already.

It's like once we got to 2009 years have just been flying by. I was just getting used to write 2016. It always takes me a few months in a new year to refere to the previous year as "last year" instead of "some months ago".

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:16 pm 

Turd Blaster wrote:
I will fight anyone who says Slipknot's first 2 albums aren't fuckin great.

They're actually quite good. The lyrics are kind of lame but I actually like the energy of the music. Would've been good to see them live at that time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:36 pm 

I just breezed through the last two pages and we're still apologizing for nu metal. On one hand, the pre-2010 MA is rolling in its grave, on the other hand, progress is usually good so...?

Though I think I saw somebody praise Rage Against the Machine though, and if I was in charge that'd be a bannable offense. Legitimately one of the worst bands I've ever known.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:41 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I just breezed through the last two pages and we're still apologizing for nu metal. On one hand, the pre-2010 MA is rolling in its grave, on the other hand, progress is usually good so...?

Though I think I saw somebody praise Rage Against the Machine though, and if I was in charge that'd be a bannable offense. Legitimately one of the worst bands I've ever known.

RATM are way too "raw raw fight da powah!" for me. The only times I've remotely enjoyed one of their songs was whilst piss drunk. Their lyrics are ridiculous and for an anti-capitalism guy I bet Tom Morello doesn't hate all the royalties cash he makes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:49 pm 

I know the 90s was the same decade that Primus became a household name so it was certainly a weird time, but RATM is so blatantly, irritatingly, offensively bad that I just don't understand how they became radio darlings. Morello's broken guitar is the most annoying shit in the world, the way he runs one two note riff into the ground for five minutes against a dead simple backbeat and terrible rap-yelling on every single song is seriously the most grating shit in the world and I'll never understand how they've gone platinum nine fucking times. I hate them.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 pm 

I don't even know who Primus are, honestly. I did a quick google search and it doesn't a ring a bell. I guess their prime was when I was a little kid and then they sorta faded into obscurity forever?

90s a weird time? I'd say the 80s were a weirder time as far as music goes.

Not nu metal at all, but for some reason, I took a real liking to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in 9th grade. I really loved the Californication album. And I wasn't heavily into music at the time yet. I also liked several Offspring songs. Btw, are Offspring even still around? lol

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 pm 

This thread is getting awful Subricky.

I can think of two bands I would say are actually annoying that I also happen to like, and those two bands are Primus and Lightning Bolt. Both are really cool but I can only take in pretty limited doses as they're both grating in their own ways.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 pm 

Man how can you not know Primus? I had a dream once where two naked women were sitting on the floor playing the bassline to Mr. Krinkle on didgeridoos on loop for hours. Primus has its hooks in my soul.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:42 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Man how can you not know Primus? I had a dream once where two naked women were sitting on the floor playing the bassline to Mr. Krinkle on didgeridoos on loop for hours. Primus has its hooks in my soul.

Maybe it's one of those cases where I know a song or two of theirs very well but have no idea what's the band behind it. They seem to have been around since the 80s already. But I searched on youtube for their two most scrobbled tracks on Last.Fm and it just doesn't ring a bell at all.

Lightning Bolt to me is a clothing brand.

Last edited by Festivus on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694  Next