Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:42 pm 

Festivus wrote:
I don't even know who Primus are, honestly. I did a quick google search and it doesn't a ring a bell. I guess their prime was when I was a little kid and then they sorta faded into obscurity forever?

Maybe you had heard of them as their previous name?

They'd actually changed their name in the early 2000's when they noticed their quality starting to decline and decided that they should change their name from Optimus Primus.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:44 pm 

hey wrote:
Festivus wrote:
I don't even know who Primus are, honestly. I did a quick google search and it doesn't a ring a bell. I guess their prime was when I was a little kid and then they sorta faded into obscurity forever?

Maybe you had heard of them as their previous name?

They'd actually changed their name in the early 2000's when they noticed their quality starting to decline and decided that they should change their name from Optimus Primus.

Nope, all I can think of is Transformers, which I assume their name is a reference to the transformer Optimus Prime.

I feel like I've been living under a rock now.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:18 am 

This is the kind of world we live in now: group of teens abduct someone who's mentally retarded, torture him, livestream it on Facebook, stating they hope it goes viral.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/crime/ ... utm_Should

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:47 am 

^^ wha...........

I fucking hate Primus, one of the worst bands ever. I'll listen to Key Dragon, he'll I'd listen to Kayne, fuck I'd listen to Donald Trump podcasts before I EVER listened to Primus.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:51 am 

Fuck, now that's utterly detestable. Can't believe someone would do that for the sake of their racist political agenda. That goes to both the teens who did this and the alt-right morons who will undoubtedly bring this news up whenever they feel like playing the victim.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:11 am 

I listened to Frizzle Fry daily in tenth grade. After Tim Alexander left the band, it's never been the same.

My high school graduation was 20 years ago last year. Napero's had a whole life since then, and I just finished university last month. Time to move back into my parents' house and have a midlife crisis.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:40 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I never played any of those games but I remember Bully being really controversial at the time. I don't think Australian stores even stocked it.

It wasn't even real controversy. It was the Jack Thompson style of controversy that's based around stuff in the game that was either taken way out of context or wasn't even in the fucking game.

iamntbatman wrote:
This thread is getting awful Subricky.

I may have my moments of absent mindedness, but at least I 1. Can check Google to see if a band is still around, 2. Can spell the word "chili".

Also, fuck those people from the link Earthcubed posted.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 398577
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
My earliest metal memories were listening to said bands (among others) in my post in my mate's shed. Back then he had a small (but quality) selection of cd's, but most of our listening was gained through another friend of his who would give him tapes of other bands, that we'd never heard of. Most of my collection at that time consisted of dubs I made from cd's and tapes. I turned 18 in 1992, so then I could legally buy beer and listen to metal in said shed :lol: was pretty cool for what it was waaay back then.

I was 16 in '92, and those CD's back then cost a small fortune. I've still got a price tag on Pantera's Vulgar Display, which shows, £15:99, which is nearly $20 at today's rate. We (friends) used to borrow CD's off one another, and record them to tape, to save money.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Fuck, now that's utterly detestable. Can't believe someone would do that for the sake of their racist political agenda. That goes to both the teens who did this and the alt-right morons who will undoubtedly bring this news up whenever they feel like playing the victim.

Agreed. The amount of people not only cheering this on, but using that poor guy's experience as fuel for their agenda as well is just sickening.

And Primus rules btw. All of their albums are great, and even the worst one has three of their best songs. Plus, Les Claypool's solo work, especially the Frog Brigade is just some of the best stuff ever. Primus is one of two bands that I like more than every other one of my favorite metal bands. I wouldn't be on these archives if not for them, because Primus is directly responsible for getting me into music in the first place.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:59 am 

I don't read comment sections very often as I like to save brain cells. Are people actually cheering on that torture thing?

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:06 am 

I've seen a few so far, and a family member who is always browsing the various forms of news has seen more, but there's probably not as much as my previous post would imply, to clear up what I meant. Still though, dang.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 am 

It seems like just about the least controversial thing you could find honestly. It doesn't have anything to do with Trump and everything to do with just violent criminals who deserve to be in jail. It shouldn't really be tied to politics at all, and I shouldn't have to say so.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:10 am 

True. The amount of reaching that goes on regarding various events lately on both sides has been ridiculous. Especially since this event is something that everyone can agree on how bad it is, but naw, people will always manage to be ridiculous in some form or another.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 am 

ehhh people on the internet are fucking insane dude. we didn't evolve as animals to truly interact properly via the internet, not having face to face conversations fucks with our empathy and our sense of ownership of issues. but those kids are pussies - read up on San Francisco's Death Angels for some real racial fun!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:14 pm 

"Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Thursday morning that the four black suspects made "terrible racist statements" during the assault but that police believe the victim was targeted because he has "special needs," not because of his race."

I have no words, this is why people like Trump get elected

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
this is why people like Trump get elected

Wrong.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:45 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
This thread is getting awful Subricky.

I can think of two bands I would say are actually annoying that I also happen to like, and those two bands are Primus and Lightning Bolt. Both are really cool but I can only take in pretty limited doses as they're both grating in their own ways.

I never enjoyed Primus. Too "goofy joke rock" for my liking. Lightning Bolt is super rad, though.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 pm 

Not a fan of Primus either. Seems to be the consensus here (for the most part).

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:30 pm 

Primus is a case where I respect the talent involved but don't care for the output.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 pm 

Today I turn the big 3-0! Goodbye to my 20's; they were good. :)

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:54 pm 

I used to like Primus when I was in middle school and early high school but I've since grown out of them. As an adult I just don't see the appeal any more.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:12 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:

WTF?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:25 pm 

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what he's getting at there. I know there's been some commentary both online and in the media that there might be a perceptive difference in response and public attention had the races of the perpetrators and the victim been reversed, but what that has to do with Trump, or even whether that's a salient point to stand on doesn't appear to be all that relevant here. They're being charged for a hate crime (among other charges), the police recognize the racial dimension of the crime, and the story has been getting traction in the media and among the public.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 pm 

He is using the tired and shallow argument that Trump won because people are tired of PC culture, and not calling this a hate crime is apparently the most important thing right now...but yeah, apparently the suspects ARE being charged with a hate crime.

Trump's election runs way deeper than 'political correctness.' But since this is the FFA I don't really want to go into a whole thing about it - just that it's an overly simplistic and dumb way to see it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 pm 

To be honest it seems like at least a portion, however small it may be, of support for Trump seems to be a reaction to the whole PC culture thing, but yeah to assume that's the only reason he got elected is pretty silly. I'm giving Folkemon the benefit of the doubt and assuming he was exaggerating for effect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:04 pm 

A lot more of them are just angry and feel that they've been generally disenfranchised and left behind economically and whatnot. Trump was an outsider who said he'd be different and Hillary was the face of 'the establishment.' That's about the simplest way I can see it. Wouldn't say it is because people are angry about some officials choosing to use lighter and safer words sometimes though...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Folkemon_ wrote:

WTF?
He's trolling. Check out his post in the 'famous' thread.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 pm 

Yeah, I think Folksmon is trolling too. He's just trying to stir shit up.
More to the point, the only people I've seen online cheering on actions like these are white kids who troll this kind of shit, regardless of sides. They'll ironically post memes with captions like 'open season on white people!' or 'kill whitey!' that were originally posted unironically in order to get tons of likes and ironic comments. Every so often, people not in on the joke will find the posts and get all butthurt. It's depressing but funny to watch people with usernames like 'FreedomLoverUSMC1776' and Confederate flags for profile pics get angry and start throwing around the n word in their comments.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

The internet is just garbage sometimes. "Lol, gotta troll, everything is ironic"...

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

Everyone has little grievences about the way other people talk/type, and since last year, using the word "chill", as in "that guy's pretty chill" has been mine. I don't see anyone else bitching about this, but goddamn it gets to me. I think it just sat wrong with me the first time I saw somebody use it and my disapproval has grown like a bucket of worms ever since.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

Psycho_Dome wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
My earliest metal memories were listening to said bands (among others) in my post in my mate's shed. Back then he had a small (but quality) selection of cd's, but most of our listening was gained through another friend of his who would give him tapes of other bands, that we'd never heard of. Most of my collection at that time consisted of dubs I made from cd's and tapes. I turned 18 in 1992, so then I could legally buy beer and listen to metal in said shed :lol: was pretty cool for what it was waaay back then.

I was 16 in '92, and those CD's back then cost a small fortune. I've still got a price tag on Pantera's Vulgar Display, which shows, £15:99, which is nearly $20 at today's rate. We (friends) used to borrow CD's off one another, and record them to tape, to save money.

You both sound like you had a pretty good time as a late teenager! That's really cool. :) Sadly I turned 18 in 2004 which was one of the worst years of my existence. Not everyone can win. :lol:

Kerrick wrote:
Today I turn the big 3-0! Goodbye to my 20's; they were good. :)

Happy birthday, mate! :thumbsup: I'm also 30 now so prepare for what is supposedly the best time of your life - making better money than your 20's but not feeling the effects of any old age until you're in your 40's. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:11 pm 

Thanks dude! I think this year [and hopefully decade] should be a good one indeed. :)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 pm 

I hope so. :) My 20's sucked so I'm hoping my 30's are better. So far everything is basically the same so I'll review it in 2026. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
A lot more of them are just angry and feel that they've been generally disenfranchised and left behind economically and whatnot. Trump was an outsider who said he'd be different and Hillary was the face of 'the establishment.' That's about the simplest way I can see it. Wouldn't say it is because people are angry about some officials choosing to use lighter and safer words sometimes though...

Shitty lives brought on by a system that shits on them is what fills them with anguish and rage, yes, but they don't see the economic system as being responsible for that. If you ask Trump chumps what they want to change, however, PC is one of their major bugbears. I live in Kansas, and people here see it as social engineering with the express purpose of denigrating conservative, white, rural, southern, midwestern, christian, republican, etc people (regardless of what you think PC is all about, that's what it's all about to them). It absolutely got them going out in droves when they saw Donald Trump transgressing the norms of PC at every opportunity.

I made a post earlier in the election thread about how alt-right politics entirely revolve around white identity politics and the effort to create white victimhood narratives (which was ignored for being too accurate of course), and this event is demonstrating the correctness of my post yet again. 100% of coverage I've been observing on Fox News has been dedicated not to unearthing facts about the case, but on looking for ways to connect it to a larger narrative of white victimhood by saying the media are suppressing it, that it proves there's a massive campaign of racist attacks against whites, that the police are trying to dismiss it, and etc. Fox is now even more extreme than MSNBC in implementing this "genre" of story at every opportunity, obviously taking cues from right wing alternative media.

This event does actually lend evidence to two contested theories, though: that black people can be racist, and that mentally challenged people voted for Trump.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:40 pm 

I get that, but I don't think it means officials are necessarily committing some horrible faux pas when they react with caution towards labeling a situation the fault of whatever group is being scapegoated this week. I don't consider any of that to be a big problem.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 pm 

Fuck.This.Weather.

It's too cold for me to even think about anything but how cold I am.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 pm 

How cold is it? High of 13 here today. Tomorrow it shoots all the way up to... 17!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 pm 

Currently it's 7°, feels like -8°.

Azmodes wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:03 pm 

As someone who has to commute 45 minutes, I hate the snow more than anything. This winter has been pretty tame so far though I did get a little bit this evening, but we're expecting even more next week.

Also, the chant in the intro to this song sounds like it was recorded by a Satanic cult using a prison's PA system. It sends shivers down my spine. Completely awesome.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 pm 

That was a pretty wicked intro for sure.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694  Next