Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:19 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I do remember Daughtry. He started out on American Idol, and was actually the strongest contestant on there until he lost to...aw fuck who cares, some other guy. But yeah, his solo stuff was warm-Coors Light bland. I always hoped he'd join a better band and make genuinely interesting music, but he just went for the easy cash grab as you would expect.

That was a really talented year. Taylor Hicks won, and he was good, but a bit outclassed by several others towards the end and started seeming annoyingly out of place. Katharine McPhee was my favorite (probably of any AI year, actually), but I liked Chris, Elliot Yamin, Mandisa and a few others as well. It was really obvious the pop mold they were trying to corral everyone into though, when Chris did Creed's "What If" Simon skewered him as too "indulgent". I think I gave a cursory listen to his first solo album or two, but nothing stuck out enough for repeat listens. Definitely a shame, as it's possible to do the mainstream heavy rock route with creativity, passion and talent, like Tool, Sevendust, Tremonti, etc.

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 pm 

Behold:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 pm 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Behold:

I'm watching the YMS commentary on this. Really bad song. But that part @ 40 seconds (or more specifically, the vocal lines) reminded me of Essenger's "Half-Life".

@ 57 seconds
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Behold:

This was painful to hear. Is she out of tune the whole song? I'm pretty sure this song could be easily "fixed" to just be meh instead of awful.

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 am 

the plot thickens...

https://www.kiss925.com/audio/sarah-bra ... xperiment/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:18 am 

It kinda had to be. This is still one of the more anodyne "social experiments" because at least no one got killed or worse, elected but the fact she's fleecing internet morons for her masters thesis at Oxford makes it one of the most annoying.

Uh, not calling anyone here an internet moron, I'm talking about the YouTube commentariat who write that she should be raped for how badly she sings, or that her sugar daddy paid for the video, comments which will almost certainly appear in her dissertation. In the linked interview she stated that claiming that her sugar daddy funded the video is "very sexist." It is, but she almost certainly said this just to be even more provocative, since the word sexist is internet moron catnip.

The only thing I liked was that her entire elaborately crafted veil (meticulously curated all the way down to the minutia, such as disabling the like/dislike ratio while keeping comments open) fell to pieces when she just couldn't resist saying that she was studying at Oxford. She still had a modicum of plausible deniability but she blew it all to hell because her elite university ego got the better of her.

And that was the only time I was entertained by any of this.

Anyway, this is 100% genuine and far far funnier:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 am 

In the thumbnail she also looks kind of like that girl from the "distracted boyfriend/jealous girlfriend" meme that most people have seen hundreds of versions of.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:36 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Behold:

I'm sure there's a Taylor Swift song that this is attempting to rip off.

On another note, if she was hoping to get by on looks rather than talent, you at least need to be able to fill out that red dress.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:12 am 

schizoid wrote:

On another note, if she was hoping to get by on looks rather than talent, you at least need to be able to fill out that red dress.

Uh dude, the video is a social experiment almost certainly for her masters in Sociology, she mentioned it in the interview posted above. Not sure but most likely she's a great singer.

It's all for a post-modern commentary on hate culture or some shit.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 am 

darkeningday wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Uh dude, the video is a social experiment almost certainly for her masters in Sociology, she mentioned it in the interview posted above. Not sure but most likely she's a great singer.

It's all for a post-modern commentary on hate culture or some shit.

Oh, my mistake. I guess this video should instead be redirected to "worst masters thesis you've ever seen", if such a thread exists anywhere. Really speaks to the state of academia in this age.

Regardless of intent, it still belongs here, with all the shame it will bring.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:51 pm 

I couldn’t open the article, but was it intentionally bad? The minimal instrumentation highlights the singing flaws. Also, if it’s to spread social commentary, through the medium of radio pop, shouldn’t I be able to understand the lyrics? Is there “something wrong with me,” that I could barely catch a few words, but I consider most death metal lyrics pretty intelligible?
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

PhantomMullet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:31 pm 

I'm of the opinion that a lot of stuff may be bad, but there's different degrees of it. I can take the average limp bizkit song and talk about everything wrong with it, but in some crazy way, you could do far worse than Limp Bizkit. The band has a "so bad, it's somewhat entertaining" vibe. Just completely ridiculous and only truly bad if you try to take any ounce of it seriously. Then there's the pop stuff that the mainstream media always pushes but just ask the nearest 100 people and all will tell you that they think all that music sucks. I mean, does anyone *consciously* really listen to Nickelback? Probably not. So putting something there won't be that meaningful.

Here's two though:
Counting Crows - Round Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAe3sCI ... gCrowsVEVO

I know very little about this band, except that I've known about the song for 20+ years and the guy just has the whiniest voice that lags and just sounds terrible. Maybe that's the point because it does seem depressing, but boy does it lag. May the gods help you if this one gets stuck in your head.

Oasis-wonderwall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1Bh8Z ... =OasisVEVO

Maybe it's not so bad the first few times, but when every pub plays it and you still hear it every where, I can't help but notice the guy's vocals sound really off.

I'm sure I'll think of more moments are I post this, but I feel strongly about these two because they are both from bands that seem relatively well-liked and to post them in this light would surely give me a of backlash from the average person, but it's something I strong believe.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:22 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I couldn’t open the article, but was it intentionally bad? The minimal instrumentation highlights the singing flaws. Also, if it’s to spread social commentary, through the medium of radio pop, shouldn’t I be able to understand the lyrics? Is there “something wrong with me,” that I could barely catch a few words, but I consider most death metal lyrics pretty intelligible?

It's not an article, it's a radio interview. The social commentary isn't the song, it's the reaction to the song, that's why the comments are open. I wouldn't be surprised if it's all just for her Master's capstone in Sociology at Oxford.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:34 pm 

PhantomMullet wrote:
I mean, does anyone *consciously* really listen to Nickelback? Probably not.

I’ve met one person, in my life, who did. In 2009, a group of us were hanging out, drinking on the grass next to his family’s apartment. He plugged in a phone, to a speaker, I asked him what band it was, he said it was them, and that Nickelback, and Insane Clown Posse, were his favorite music.

He was always talking about how great of a fighter he was, and all his martial arts skills. He must have put a lot of effort into it. I hope he put that much effort into getting(and keeping, for more than a few weeks) a job, because he impregnated some woman, and they had a kid. He claimed he was going to take “criminal justice” classes, at the local community college, and become a sheriff’s deputy. I doubt that ever went anywhere. He and his juggalo friends also used to beat up homeless, and steal their shit, to sell for alcohol, because they were too lazy to work, and make enough money to buy cheap, subsidized corn syrup “beer.” If he did get some policing job, that would be pretty bad. Thankfully, he didn’t have nepotism on his side, and local police knew him and hated him, so I don’t think he did.
-John Gallagher

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 pm 

PhantomMullet wrote:

Yes, people do. People who enjoy butt rock, mostly.

I have no idea why Nickelback, out of all the butt rock bands, got picked to be unfairly shit on. Musically, they are not far at all from other butt rock bands like Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, etc. They aren't terrible in the sense that they're terrible musicians or they have a singer with an unlistenable voice or something. The criticisms that most people level at them could be applied to nearly every other band in their genre.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:53 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
PhantomMullet wrote:

I have no idea why Nickelback, out of all the butt rock bands, got picked to be unfairly shit on. Musically, they are not far at all from other butt rock bands like Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, etc. They aren't terrible in the sense that they're terrible musicians or they have a singer with an unlistenable voice or something. The criticisms that most people level at them could be applied to nearly every other band in their genre.

THANK you.

That whole scene was godawful and Nickelback didn't really stand out as the most awful of the pack. They were all pretty interchangeable to me.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:10 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
PhantomMullet wrote:

Besides, Imagine Dragons has taken Nickelback's place in terms of the lamest rock band out there. Their music appeals to commercials first, then mainstream radio, then people with zero tastes in music and only want the blandest songs possible, and if you're REALLY lucky, you might find a song of theirs that is actually for human beings to listen to. But even in that case, you're more likely to win the lottery three times before that ever happens.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:26 pm 

Imagine Dragons is trash but it's way more interesting than most radio cock rock. ID is at least lavishly produced with lots of stuff happening, whereas Nickelback is beyond dull and as dynamic as a lead pipe. Though I've only heard the radio singles for either band and on terrible gym speakers (when I forget my headphones) at that.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:34 pm 

I've never heard any Imagine Dragons but they got a cool name at least. It could pass for a symphonic power metal band name.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:53 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I've never heard any Imagine Dragons but they got a cool name at least. It could pass for a symphonic power metal band name.

Imagine DragonForce.

Only a matter of time before Herman Li makes that a reality on his Twitch wanderings.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:34 am 

It'll be a bluegrass-themed side project, and the name of the debut will be "Makin' Goooood Music."

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:14 pm 

It seems like "the most hated band in rock" (by critics and cognoscente such as us, these bands always sell a lot of albums) is a game of tag. In the early 00s it was Creed for awhile (though Alter Bridge proved that like Limp Bizkit, the main problem was the vocalist, not the instrumentalists), I'm not sure offhand about the early-mid 90s, but I suspect it was Poison in the mid-late 80s. So for a variety of reasons the torch was passed to Nickelback in the mid-00s, and rock has just never been nearly as popular since then, so no one has really taken the mantle. I always struggled myself to see why they were the target, because there are other bands just as bland. I quite like Breaking Benjamin though, I think their first few albums are several cuts above most modern alternative rock/metal. However, I think this might be the most concise explanation I've seen for why some people find Nickelback cringey/creepy. It's not so much the music as it is other things about them.

Spoiler: show

But that said, I legitimately like these three songs of theirs in particular.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:54 pm 

Nickelback are not the worst band in the world. Hell, they're not the worst band of the early 2000s when buttrock became a giant thing. However, they were the most commercially successful of all those bands, and thus became the lightning rod for hate from everyone who had a grievance with post-grunge as a style since the band still was all of those things in practice. Nickelback made good music despite this. My two favorites:

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:10 am 

Slightly off topic rant about how much I hate imagine dragons:
I dislike Nickelback. I think the are better pop hard rock groups out there. But, if their music were on the speakers in a bar, or store, or some other place I was spending time, it would have to be their most especially annoying songs, to really piss me off.

Imagine Dragons, on the other hand, are offensively bad. I know exactly the kind of person, who listens to them. Someone who only knows the hit songs. And only because the office manager, where they work, puts it on the radio. Suburbanites with Nextdoor accounts. The kind of people who choose which suburb to buy a home in, based on “how good the schools are.” The kind that have kids, as status symbols, so that they can put elitist high school, then later, university, stickers on their minivans. The kind that panic about their kids “doing drugs,” or “hanging out with bad kids.” When their kids are really just emotionally abused and neglected. And don’t even know that drugs are an option, or have any real life friends or rewarding activities, and instead, just dissociate through smartphone use, because all will to live has been taken from them. And only a miracle can make them develop a spine. A will to not be a normie. To think. To do what they want, not why they’re “supposed to” do. To melt their ploughshares into swords. To make a life worth living. To do what Conan would do, not what Imagine Dragons would do.

Or, if they aren’t rich suburbanites, they’re people who “listen to all kinds of music.” Meaning: a couple Imagine Dragons songs, a couple Eminem songs, a couple Led Zeppelin songs, a couple Beatles songs, a couple of vocoder fake shit that I don’t even know the name of, because some algorithm gave it to them.

The least true, most offensively boring people. Also, their “radioactive” song, was supposed to be in that spider man Broadway musical, that never happened.

I walked into a local independent record shop once, picking up some last minute Christmas gifts, for friends and family. On display in the front, they were some new, cool releases. A 3 LP reissue, of Electric Ladyland. $100USD. Sick. A green vinyl reissue of Dopesmoker. $40USD. Sick. And the latest imagine dragons, for $60. Imagine dragons: not even once.
-John Gallagher

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:35 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I quite like Breaking Benjamin though, I think their first few albums are several cuts above most modern alternative rock/metal.

I actually do as well. Their first two albums aren't bad for what they are, although when Phobia rolled around they basically turned into heavy pop rock and got old very fast. Like, come on, guys. You do know you can write in full time and not just half time, right?

A shame that Ben's voice is utterly shot these days. He had a pretty good voice (and unclean voice) at first.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:53 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I walked into a local independent record shop once, picking up some last minute Christmas gifts, for friends and family. On display in the front, they were some new, cool releases. A 3 LP reissue, of Electric Ladyland. $100USD. Sick. A green vinyl reissue of Dopesmoker. $40USD. Sick. And the latest imagine dragons, for $60. Imagine dragons: not even once.

Just wondering, did you bought the Electric Ladyland and Dopesmoker records in the store? Cause those sound like they would be great for any record collection. :thumbsup:

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:18 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I quite like Breaking Benjamin though, I think their first few albums are several cuts above most modern alternative rock/metal.

I actually do as well. Their first two albums aren't bad for what they are, although when Phobia rolled around they basically turned into heavy pop rock and got old very fast. Like, come on, guys. You do know you can write in full time and not just half time, right?

A shame that Ben's voice is utterly shot these days. He had a pretty good voice (and unclean voice) at first.

My favorite thing about them though is Chad Szeliga's drumming on Phobia. It's the perfect mix of pocket and flash.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:48 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Just wondering, did you bought the Electric Ladyland and Dopesmoker records in the store? Cause those sound like they would be great for any record collection. :thumbsup:

I didn’t, because I don’t have a record player, or even a cassette player. I mostly buy digital downloads, and merch, off Bandcamp. I’ll buy the CD, if it’s too mainstream for Bandcamp, because I have a player, so I can get it on my computer, and phone. I did get a sibling Gods of the Earth. The store has a good vinyl and CD selection, and some cassettes. Their metal section is better than a big box store. They even have separate shelves, for death metal, black metal, and doom metal. I’ve seen metal books there, as well. They have some really underground stuff.
-John Gallagher

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:48 pm 

PhantomMullet wrote:
I mean, does anyone *consciously* really listen to Nickelback? Probably not. So putting something there won't be that meaningful.

I'd go as far to say that most people frankly don't actually really listen that hard to music. They just let it wash over them without thinking at all. I know how that makes me sound like "I am the one true enlightened man amongst sheep" person but that's gotta be the only way I can explain how boomers can listen to the same 30 fucking christmas songs for five decades in a row without going insane.

It also explains partly why stuff like metal is so viscerally unpleasant to mainstream audiences--music for most people is nothing but fluff to fill the air, so the idea of music that is intentionally harsh and abrasive is borderline nonsensical to them. The late 80's through the mid 2000's was about the only time this wasn't totally true, but now that pop music has pretty much abandoned rock and electric guitars it's back in full force. Teenage girls used to like pop punk and post-hardcore. Now they like billie eilish and the seemingly five billion godawful artists in the same style.

Man, the 2000's were weird. I don't think a mainstream culture of goofy teen edginess and hot topic and all that stuff like that is ever going to come back. Pop culture is sanitized to hell these days.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:09 am 

Vadara wrote:
I don't think a mainstream culture of goofy teen edginess and hot topic and all that stuff like that is ever going to come back. Pop culture is sanitized to hell these days.

You say this, but e-girls/e-boys and sad-boy is a thing, which is just as edgy but without the metal/hard rock attached
I'd go so far as to say it's to hip hop what emo/nü metal was to rock music 20 years ago.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:24 pm 

I heard this, now you must too.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:47 pm 

Here I am stuck in the middle with you!

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:06 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I heard this, now you must too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eK0JVH4Cfk

Haha, it's not even the worst JustinRPG song.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:14 am 

I can name many,

but today these are the first ones that came to mind

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:40 pm 

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:04 pm 

Never gonna forget the time Metallica tried (and failed miserably) to cover Celtic Frost's "The Usurper".

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:00 am 

I've been listening to a lot of Suidakra lately. I'd been a fan since 2004 but hadn't heard anything since the rather good Crogacht. While reading reviews of the albums I'd missed, a name kept popping up: Arkadius's other band Fall of Carthage. While a couple of alarm bells sounded immediately when I noticed the band wasn't in the archive and the name sounded suspiciously close to Fall of Troy, I figured riff meister Arkadius's heavy involvement and a name that at least COULD just be about ancient history meant that it was at least worth a glance, so I YouTubed it and I present to you another entry in the anals of this thread:

Be sure to stick around to the 1:20 mark because that's when this song truly claims its spot in this thread.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:06 pm 

That sucked. A lot. I legit went "Wait, what?" when the timestamped part happened. Also, I fucking hate when bands talk about "thinking critically for yourself" and "NO TRENDS NO GENRES".

--

Two submissions from me this time. First, total Korn doppelganging, and it inexplicably has 4.1 million views in just over five months. How in the world does shit like THIS have an audience today?

Second, a band I actually have seen before. They were just as awful live as they are here. I didn’t find out until very recently that their guitarist is actually a huge Youtuber with over 900,000 subscribers.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm 

...wow...if I'd just heard that Chaoseum song then I'd have legit thought it was Korn. Are we sure it isn't and they just decided to pull a prank? Because that bass tone is 100% Fieldy.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

The instrumentals are…very unique

I showed this to someone at work, and he said they’re like a slightly more musical version of the Shaggs
-John Gallagher

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next