Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:52 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

And for good reason. His music has sucked for most of that time period (if it ever DIDN'T suck to begin with), and I've heard he's jumped on the whole far-right/Boogaloo Boys anti-democracy bandwagon now.

I remember reading a story about someones friend who went to a Kid Rock concert around 2004, and when he got there, Rock himself showed up late, and mumbled through about 4 songs before walking off.

He sold all his Kid Rock CDs at school the next day. Wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:57 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Forget Nickelback, Weezer is the worst rock band.

Bro, fuck you lol, those first two Weezer albums are genius, like seriously, they've been terrible ever since then, but worse than nickleback? That's like saying stubbing your toe is worse than getting cancer or something.

No joke I disappear Is fucking stupid, that's about one of the dumbest fucking songs I've ever heard, I think that's worse than most of the songs on st. Anger, I'm actually laughing my ass off over how fucking dumb that song is, and the video is so fucking epic

Perhaps.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:48 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
Bro, fuck you lol, those first two Weezer albums are genius, like seriously, they've been terrible ever since then, but worse than nickleback? That's like saying stubbing your toe is worse than getting cancer or something.

Nickleback are pretty ass, but they didn't make "El Scorcho".

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:20 pm 

Weezer is the ultimate incel rock band.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:03 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Yeah, and those first two still fucking rule

Perhaps.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:33 pm 

I actually liked Weezer way back when their first album came out. It was good driving catchy guitar-based hard rock and it just clicked with me; and it was right at that time period where I was kind of burned out on metal and was taking a sort of "hiatus" from it. Their second one wasn't as good, and yeah, "El Scorcho" is a pretty dumb song I do admit. I haven't listened to anything of theirs in many a year though.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:19 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

What's "incel" about them? I haven't really listened to them since their first album.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:16 am 

Weezer's debut is actually pretty solid. I don't think it's a masterpiece like many seem to (granted I haven't listened to it in 15+ years), but easily the closest thing to "good" the band ever did. On the other hand, this song (and the album it's from) is actual dogshit:

Back in 2006 my favorite thing to do was watch music videos on TV and I remember this video was played like every 20 minutes and I had to sit through it every time. Back then I always thought it was the most boring, painfully mediocre, generic & low-effort shit imaginable. My feelings haven't changed.

Thy Shrine wrote:
No joke I disappear Is fucking stupid, that's about one of the dumbest fucking songs I've ever heard, I think that's worse than most of the songs on st. Anger, I'm actually laughing my ass off over how fucking dumb that song is, and the video is so fucking epic

When "I Disappear" came out I thought he was saying "I'M PAIN...I'M HOPE...I'M SUPPER" and it really bothered me. Nowadays I can appreciate that line as the precursor to "I AM THE TABLE". I revisited it recently and I think it's a pretty decent song compared to what came immediately before/after. The best part of the video is the end, when Lars jumps out the window, which I think is a really good metaphor for Metallica's career as a whole.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:30 am 

The first two Weezer albums are pretty good imo. Unique mix of sounds (Beach Boys, Ramones and Nirvana thrown into a blender). Some of the lyrics are cringe inducing but it is what it is. Plenty of metal bands have cringe inducing lyrics too, lol.

Their later stuff is really bad though, and yeah, "Beverly Hills" makes me wanna vomit.

Anyways

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:48 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

What's "incel" about them? I haven't really listened to them since their first album.

Their imagery and lyrics have a distinct awkward, nerdy incel vibe. Pinkerton is particularly full of them. See the songs Across the Sea, El Scorcho, and Pink Triangle.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:48 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Forget Nickelback, Weezer is the worst rock band.

Yea, this is Hot Take Theater.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:09 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Their imagery and lyrics have a distinct awkward, nerdy incel vibe. Pinkerton is particularly full of them. See the songs Across the Sea, El Scorcho, and Pink Triangle.

Yeah, if you type in nerd/geek/dork rock they're one of the first things that come up. The first few albums have some charm to them for songs like "Buddy Holly", "Say It Ain't So", and "Dope Nose", which I still like, but I suspect they're starting to date and people who weren't already into them in the 90s/early 00s might have trouble understanding the appeal.

Edit: Good god, they might have some of the worst back and forth rating whiplash I've ever seen. I haven't really paid attention to their new material in well over a decade, but on Rate Your Music they have albums in the 10s that go from 1.76 to 3.32 to 3.52 to 1.99. Those aren't even the extremes, The Blue Album is 3.89, while Raditude is 1.59 (and several EPs/singles are even higher and lower), but having wildly divergent quality albums chronologically next to each other like that is pretty crazy.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Fri May 06, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:22 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Ehhh I challenge anybody that's a dude in here to say they couldn't relate to any of those songs lol

Perhaps.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:31 pm 

I have to agree with those who say Weezer suck. Any of their songs could be in this thread.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:06 am 

This is a very funny video about a particularly bad Weezer song.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:53 am 

Lol, saying Weezer sucks and then pointing out Beverly hills is kinda like saying metallica sucks because of st. Anger or Slayer sucks because of Diabolus in Musica

Perhaps.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:23 pm 

Geez, dude, you really seem hell bent on dying on the Weezer hill.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:51 pm 

Yeah, mostly cuz so do you tbh

Perhaps.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 pm 

Weezer shouldn’t be anywhere near this thread.

Here’s an actual song that should be in this thread. Not sure if it’s been posted before but it’s pretty bad:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:27 am 

Morton Salt wrote:

Here’s an actual song that should be in this thread. Not sure if it’s been posted before but it’s pretty bad:

Late 90s-early 2000s edgy badass aesthetic called, they want Gene Simmons to get out of their style ASAP.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:26 pm 

Mony Mony by Billy Idol is horrid.

When i hear that song anywhere, i run out, as if there was a shooter in the place.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:35 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
This is a very funny video about a particularly bad Weezer song.

Thanks for posting this, and making me aware of this channel, I try ink I’m going to subscribe. I like it.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Carcassbreath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:30 pm 

Not sure if this was mentioned: The Residents - Bach is Dead.

Probably the most annoying sound to have stuck in your head at night.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:58 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:

When i hear that song anywhere, i run out, as if there was a shooter in the place.

I guess the crowd yelling "hey what, get laid, get fucked" between verses doesn't do it for you. :lol:

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:45 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
MercyfulKing wrote:

I guess the crowd yelling "hey what, get laid, get fucked" between verses doesn't do it for you. :lol:

I only heard this quote from Jim Florentine on his podcast when he was talking about this rubbish song (He did say he heard people holler that it in clubs back in the day.). And that was it. I never heard anyone yell out "hey what, get laid, get fucked" when it would come on.

It does not change the fact that is a really dumb song, even for Billy Idol standards.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:01 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:

I second this.

I fucking HATE that song.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 pm 

MercyfulKing wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
MercyfulKing wrote:

I only heard this quote from Jim Florentine on his podcast when he was talking about this rubbish song (He did say he heard people holler that it in clubs back in the day.). And that was it. I never heard anyone yell out "hey what, get laid, get fucked" when it would come on.

It does not change the fact that is a really dumb song, even for Billy Idol standards.

It's definitely a club thing, I wouldn't know if people do it live at his shows, as I've never been to one. It's definitely a rubbish song and I think that's why a bunch of drunken people in bars would have fun with it.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:11 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Morton Salt wrote:

Late 90s-early 2000s edgy badass aesthetic called, they want Gene Simmons to get out of their style ASAP.

I had no idea Gene Simmons covered this song. The original Prodigy track was decent in a "Nowz zee time on Sprockets Ven Vee Donsse" kind of way, but Gene's version... just way too over the top with all the renees in bikinis and general overall cringe factor.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:33 pm 

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 am 

A few of REM's big radio hits are among the most embarrassingly bad songs I've ever heard. I loathe that band.

Other offenders:
Love Shack - B52s
Friday Love (or something) - The Cure (another band with some embarrassingly bad tunes, but they at least a few good ones, too)

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:28 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Friday Love (or something) - The Cure (another band with some embarrassingly bad tunes, but they at least a few good ones, too)

The lyrics on "Friday I'm in Love" may be a little silly, but come on, those guitar lines are killer.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 pm 

Shitty trashy pop music is always a hoot.

I remember this one track from about a decade back that was just obnoxious whenever it came on:

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:25 pm 

https://youtu.be/tqXHDcbYZ5U

This may have already been posted, but... enjoy.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:34 am 

The punk in me wants to love this
But it's just not clicking

In fact it crashed like a grenade through a stressed window

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:01 am 

Yuli Ban wrote:

Is the real Thrash Queen even worse than the fake Thrash Queen?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:57 pm 

Shockingly, yes.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:50 pm 

Yuli Ban wrote:

I remember this one track from about a decade back that was just obnoxious whenever it came on:

Sorry, but ANY track that features Ke$hia is an auto-qualifier as a finalist for one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

I know some people like her as some kind of guilty pleasure thing or whatever, but...the woman can't sing; the average drunk at the local kareoke bar is equally (un)talented, AND her music and lyrics are just trashy. Sorry guys...

As for Thrash Queen, the Metalworks one ("Trrrrrash! Trrrrrash! People look like Trrrash!") i s unintentionally hilarious, and it kind of works for that reason, if only as a joke/comedy piece. The original one is just garage-level punkish metal.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:24 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:

Nu metal can be fine. But not when you repeat a D sharp power chord for the entire song :lol:
I also like how they censor all the swear words, as if people listening to Limp Bizkit of all things are gonna be offended by them.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:46 am 

Yuli Ban wrote:

Man, at least the other Thrash Queen is funny, this is just... awful.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:25 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Yuli Ban wrote:

Sorry, but ANY track that features Ke$hia is an auto-qualifier as a finalist for one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

I know some people like her as some kind of guilty pleasure thing or whatever, but...the woman can't sing; the average drunk at the local kareoke bar is equally (un)talented, AND her music and lyrics are just trashy. Sorry guys...

As for Thrash Queen, the Metalworks one ("Trrrrrash! Trrrrrash! People look like Trrrash!") i s unintentionally hilarious, and it kind of works for that reason, if only as a joke/comedy piece. The original one is just garage-level punkish metal.

Metal Enterprises, not Metalworks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next