* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Derigin wrote:
It's pretty clear, especially from yours and darkeningday's posts, that "strength in numbers" is the only reason this has garnered the attention and backlash that it has.

:lol: Next you're going to say that the only reason 9/11 has gotten more attention and backlash than the average car bombing is because of STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! HEAVENS!

I'm really struggling to understand what point you're trying to make here. Rich, famous people can use their influence to get away with crimes normal people couldn't? Public response increases depending on the severity of the crime? Roman Polanski and Bill Cosby are both rapists? All of these are obvious and not really relevant to...anything. Morrigan said it best:

Alright, I'll break it down for you.

My first response was that calling it "pointless, disingenuous nonsense" to compare the two even though "both individuals are in the same industry and one of those individuals has already proven a method to get away with this crime indefinitely" is not pointless or disingenuous. It tells you a fair bit about the context of this situation and whatever its outcome might be. So no, not "pointless" and certainly not "disingenuous nonsense."

My second response was in your claim that it's not comparable because, geez, after thirty years of dick-all justice and a system that has failed her in every way, she doesn't want to press charges... therefore Polanski's "get out of jail free" card of exile was punishment enough. What utter bullshit, man. We have no idea whether Polanski committed any further crimes or not, but I wouldn't blame the victim and other potential victims from not wanting to be further victimized by it - especially when they perceive themselves as feeling alone (which many of Cosby's victims had felt until recently, too). Whether it's one crime or dozens of crimes, it's still a heinous crime no matter that difference.

That was the point. Not any grandiose statement about rich people getting off easy because, durr, they always do; Not any judgment on the severity of a crime that's severe by its nature alone; and no statement about the nature of those "rich, famous people." Just a statement, elaborating on the fact that you have two famous celebrities comparably getting away with their crimes for decades. That's it. Totally revolutionary commentary, isn't it? It doesn't deserve a debate about which one is more relevant and sincere; they're both despicable. But it's not pointless to draw comparisons.

I'm also not sure what you expect this thread to be about. Not like any of this is off-topic; it's just evolved as discussions do.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:53 pm 

Let me quote the original post that sparked all of this:

nekuomanteia wrote:
So you would boycott a Cosby production. How about a Roman Polanski film?

On 11 March 1977, Roman Polanski, then 43 years old, was arrested in Los Angeles for the sexual assault of 13-year-old Samantha Geimer during a photo shoot for French Vogue magazine. Polanski was indicted on six counts of criminal behavior, including rape.[109][111] At his arraignment he pleaded not guilty to all charges. Many executives in Hollywood came to his defense.[112] Geimer's attorney next arranged a plea bargain in which five of the six charges would be dismissed, and Polanski accepted.[113]

Polanski in 2007.
As a result of the plea bargain, Polanski pleaded guilty to the charge of "Unlawful Sexual Intercourse with a minor,"[114][115] and was ordered to undergo 90 days of psychiatric evaluation at California Institution for Men at Chino.[116] Upon release from prison after 42 days, Polanski understood that at the final sentencing he would be put on probation. However, he learned that the judge, Laurence J. Rittenband, was planning to renege on his promise of no further jail time.[117][115][118] Polanski's attorney suggested that despite the fact that the prosecuting attorneys recommended probation, "the judge could no longer be trusted..." and the judge's representations were "worthless".[119]

Upon learning of the judge's plans, Polanski fled to France on 1 February 1978, just hours before sentencing.[120] As a French citizen, he has been protected from extradition and has lived mostly in France since then.[121] However, having fled the country before final sentencing, the charges were never dismissed and still remain pending.

This sloppy copy/paste of a Wikipedia article was in response to NO ONE advocating boycotting Bill Cosby's work. He just brought it up out of nowhere to make a point about nothing. Roman Polanski is still being vigorously sought by US authorities, and only narrowly escaped extradition in 2010 because Switzerland refused to cooperate. You can't really blame the public for not maintaining a high level of outrage for the nearly 40 years since the original incident was publicized - some of Cosby's crimes date back that far, sure, but they're only just now getting real exposure. If nekuomanteia had brought up Roman Polanski and said "hey, here's a similar incident" - you know, in the way that I and others brought up Jimmy Saville, Kim Fowley, and others who escaped justice for similar crimes in similar ways - everyone would've been fine with it. Instead...well, you can see the context for yourself.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 pm 

Sure, and the discussion evolved. Fair enough that nobody here has stated they intend to boycott his work, but it's not like others haven't recently:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainme ... tml#page=1

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2887580

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/21/bill-cosb ... ion-money/

There's a whole slew of fans and venues boycotting him. Maybe nekuomanteia, with his shitty post, was referring to that more general phenomenon?

EDIT: I think another grievance with Polanski specifically is that not only did he get away with it, but he's still getting accolades and awards for his work while in exile. I could see why some people might be miffed by that.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 pm 

Maybe, maybe not. How about we talk about the boycott instead? Personally, I do think it makes sense in the short term, but it's hard to say how it is in the long term. The Cosby Show was such a big hit because of Bill Cosby himself, that whole "America's Dad" image. Now that that image is being destroyed in retrospect...will people ever be able to watch The Cosby Show without thinking about his crimes? Or will the two identities - the perfect TV Dad, successful upper-middle-class black man who leads by example vs. a serial rapist who used his fictional trustworthy identity to drug women and rape them - become inextricably entwined? I hate to say some cheesy cliche like ONLY TIME WILL TELL, but, well, only time will tell. It's easy to say "the actor's behind-the-scenes activities don't affect his on-screen work" or "hate the sinner, not his work" or whatever, but if people can't help thinking about rape while watching The Cosby Show...yeah, I don't think it'll be inspiring people in the intended way.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm 

^Can see something like Fat Albert holding up because it's wild characters and animation, but on the Cosby show he's right there dishing comedic lines. I don't think I can view the show the same way anymore because almost every line will have some disturbing subtext. It's almost like if Ted Bundy had a sitcom.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 am 

"I like pudding!!!!

....Pudding ma dick where it don't belong!"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:03 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
^Can see something like Fat Albert holding up because it's wild characters and animation, but on the Cosby show he's right there dishing comedic lines. I don't think I can view the show the same way anymore because almost every line will have some disturbing subtext. It's almost like if Ted Bundy had a sitcom.

Yeah, the only positive effect it may have on The Cosby Show viewership-wise is being a newfound hit among misanthropic twentysomething hipster stoners who subsist on a steady diet of irony. On an unrelated note, I need to... go... do something... totally unrelated...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:43 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
"I like pudding!!!!....Pudding ma dick where it don't belong!"

Let's all refrain from this kind of thing, thanks.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 pm 

Bumping this thread because of the ongoing trial: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/us/bill-c ... index.html

That the Jury is deadlocked over such a transparently, obviously, emphatically guilty case is fucking painful and more than a little concerning about the state of the country right now.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:17 am 

I didn't see this thread originally.

Recently, my mom made a comment about how "it's such a shame this is happening to him," to which I responded, "I think it's probably worse that he did this stuff to all these people," which she acknowledged. I'm not disparaging my mom, I think it's a carry-over from just how much of a fucking impact Cosby had on public consciousness as "that old lovable dad from TV, such a great guy."

Which highlights much of the importance of more women speaking out. That buries the idea that it's just a couple "evil golddiggers" or something trying to ruin his "good name." It elevates it to a very real, very horrifying history.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 am 

The thread is a million years old, but I thought it would be alright to bump it because we're finally getting (hopefully) some sort of closure on this painful and protracted case.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:16 am 

What a horny bastard. I used to think he was funny, for like 25 years ago.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm 

The jokes write themselves here:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 am 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:

Rape is not about horniness.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 am 

I change "horny" to "sick" then.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 am 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:

Required Fields wrote:
The jokes write themselves here:

:ugh:
I now officially regret bumping this thread. Sorry, people.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:28 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cos ... mg00000046

Quote:
Cosby juror belives Constand's 'bare midriff' meant she was asking for it.

And this is why we can't have nice things. I can't understand how some people still have such retarded, archaic views on rape. Yes, nameless juror. 60 people just got together and conspired to make up stories about Cosby that are all similar and consistent with one another. And no fucking shit she was "coached" that's what the lawyers do with their clients when they know they're going to take the stand. If the witnesses aren't prepared then the opposing lawyers will eviscerate them. Fuck, I hate stupid people.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm 

Reading the article you linked the full quote is "Let’s face it: She went up to his house with a bare midriff and incense and bath salts," he said. "What the heck?" He wasn't saying that what she wore was inviting rape, he's saying he thinks she went to his house with the intent to have sex with him.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:48 am 

Aaaargh. "She was asking for it" LOL Bad jury system to say the least and I am far from a expert on legal issues. Just doesn't seem or sound right because she most probably was not "asking for it".

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cosby-juror-believes-constands-bare-midriff-meant-she-was-asking-for-it_us_594d5777e4b05c37bb763885?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=women_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000046

Quote:
Cosby juror belives Constand's 'bare midriff' meant she was asking for it.

And this is why we can't have nice things. I can't understand how some people still have such retarded, archaic views on rape. Yes, nameless juror. 60 people just got together and conspired to make up stories about Cosby that are all similar and consistent with one another. And no fucking shit she was "coached" that's what the lawyers do with their clients when they know they're going to take the stand. If the witnesses aren't prepared then the opposing lawyers will eviscerate them. Fuck, I hate stupid people.

Holy fuck, I can't believe someone said. I've not looked into the case very much so I'm trusting the court's decision at lot but holy shit, that's a pretty backwards point of view for someone on jury duty to hold. You can't prove her intent by the clothes she was wearing. I have no idea if Cosby did the things he's being charged with but my faith in this jury making a verdict based on evidence and testimony is sorely lacking after reading that.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Reading the article you linked the full quote is "Let’s face it: She went up to his house with a bare midriff and incense and bath salts," he said. "What the heck?" He wasn't saying that what she wore was inviting rape, he's saying he thinks she went to his house with the intent to have sex with him.

From a purely legal standpoint, would her intention here really have any bearing on whether or not he drugged and raped her?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am 

I assume the defense is going to say he didn't do that.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Barbarism begats barbarism. It's human nature, no point getting upset over it.

What a fucking absurd justification. If its human nature to be barbaric (and I'm not saying it isn't), how can anyone condemn Bill Cosby for his 'all too human' barbarism?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:37 pm 

Resurrecting the thread because Cosby was found guilty today at his trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/arts ... trial.html

Quote:
NORRISTOWN, Pa. — A jury found Bill Cosby guilty Thursday of drugging and sexually assaulting a woman at his home near here 14 years ago, capping the downfall of one of the world’s best-known entertainers, and offering a measure of satisfaction to the dozens of women who for years have accused him of similar assaults against them.

On the second day of its deliberations at the Montgomery County Courthouse in this town northwest of Philadelphia, the jury returned to convict Mr. Cosby of three counts of aggravated indecent assault against Andrea Constand, at the time a Temple University employee he had mentored.

The three counts — penetration with lack of consent, penetration while unconscious, and penetration after administering an intoxicant — are felonies, each punishable by up to 10 years in state prison, though the sentences could be served concurrently.

I had no clue the trial was even going on, but still, at least the proper verdict was delivered. His lawyer said he'd appeal, though.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 pm 

It's official, 3-10 years in prison, meaning he'll spend most if not all of his sunset years behind bars.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm 

You watch. He may live like another 10 or even 20 years. He will hang on a long time.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:58 am 

~Guest 226319 wrote:

I realize this kid is gone, but felt the need to point out what should be obvious:

A woman may dress well, smell nice, look sexy, and even consider having sex with someone--and none of that means she needs to be accepting of a sexual advance for whatever her reasons are. This literally happens too often to women who are raped on a date. They go on a date to meet a man who they are likely hoping for an emotional connection, maybe a relationship, maybe sex, and they dress to impress on all those fronts--and they can change their mind... and end up raped.

The woman's (or general victim's) initial intent does not matter if she (they) change their mind at literally any point over the course of the event.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:40 am 

Imagine if that sort of justification were used in other contexts. "Your honor, this man came to my home with a stack of cash and said he wanted to look at my car. He was clearly there to buy my car. So even though he's saying he changed his mind and tried to leave without buying my car, and that I took his money by force, he's lying! Because he clearly wanted it! Also he's a slut."

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 am 

A perfect analogy to explain how absurd that reasoning is. And it's pretty sad that, it seems, quite frequently it still needs to be explained to people.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:23 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Imagine if that sort of justification were used in other contexts. "Your honor, this man came to my home with a stack of cash and said he wanted to look at my car. He was clearly there to buy my car. So even though he's saying he changed his mind and tried to leave without buying my car, and that I took his money by force, he's lying! Because he clearly wanted it! Also he's a slut."

It never ceases to amaze and horrify how badly women have been and still are treated on this planet.

More of the planet needs to do what Iceland did--more women need to simply go on massive organized strike to kick society back into giving a shit.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 pm 

Some hilarious levels of irony here...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:43 pm 

Rezzing this for one very specific, infuriating reason: Cosby's conviction for sexual assault was vacated for procedural reasons and he is a free fucking man.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bill-c ... index.html

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:48 pm 

Beat me by seconds. Nothing but shame and horror at these events. Justice is dead.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:08 pm 

Why am I not surprised in the slightest that the Pennsylvania DA at the time that fucked all this up also was one of Trump's impeachment lawyers earlier this year?

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 am 

Subrick wrote:
Why am I not surprised in the slightest that the Pennsylvania DA at the time that fucked all this up also was one of Trump's impeachment lawyers earlier this year?

I know. I saw that and was like, of course this person worked with Trump. That smug grin on Cosby's face at the presser is something I wish I didn't see.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:54 pm 

Fuck everything.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:57 pm 

The absolute worst part: The court deemed that Cosby's conviction was based on "tainted evidence", and therefore he is ineligible to be retried for his crimes. He will be a free man until the day he dies, unless some other jurisdiction brings about charges against him, which I highly doubt will happen.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:37 am 

Man, its a very similar feeling to the OJ Simpson trial. You know how they say that when it comes to the justice system, "it's not what you know it's what you can prove in court"? Though I understand the concept intellectually, it's still supremely frustrating when you just know in your heart of hearts that the individual is guilty; yet the system deems it unworthy to go ahead and actually convict due to some "technicality". It honestly has me questioning and doubting everything. I was listening to a podcast recently (slightly right-wing), and one of the hosts said something like, "look, Cosby is most likely guilty and all, but if you love America you would accept this decision because it's fair."

I honestly wanted to break that host's face...

HisZvironistOverlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:27 pm 

Overall the decision makes legal sense, but pretty wild that his lawyers never got an agreement in writing not to prosecute, other than a press release... like come on man.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:14 pm 

It's mental that they let this guy out and he got out on little more than a technicality too. Just goes to show: it doesn't matter what you did or didn't do, it's how much you have in the bank to drop on lawyers.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next