Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:58 am 

Festivus wrote:
I'm only 25(profile says I'm 26 because it only takes the year I was born into account and not the month and day), but 30s and beyond kinda creep me out a bit. Not exactly the hitting 30 part, but mid-30s and how close to 40 they are. Because when you're in your 20s, you still have time to experiment with certain jobs and might be able to go back to university easily and take another degree or a masters in case you realize you didn't get a bachelors you like after all. But in your 30s, you're already meant to have picked your career. So I guess if you reach your early 30s not having a very great job that pays very well, it probably means you're not gonna make much money or have a very stable career throughout your life.

I honestly wouldn't mind dying at 40-50 if you asked me if I could pick age to die. But when I get to that age(if I do), I'll probably change my mind unless I'm very unhappy.

Something I can not see myself ever partaking in however is marriage and having kids, especially the latter. I've never cared about passing my last names, since I'm not exactly overtly proud of my "clan". I'm alright with being the last one of my family line.

Career-wise I feel I'm on my path, it's just the 9-5 lifestyle that's extremely repetitive, passionless and energydraining. It's invetiable unless you're some creative magician, but combined with the tiredness that all the social anxiety brings me it really costs way too much mentally.

I would trade my last 15 years for being 25 instead of 30 now, easily. Much of the bitterness stems from bad decisions that wasted my time, stupid ass long relatonship with the wrong person and not exploring life enough.

Yeah, the two big factors beyond that I could never cope mentally since I'm a person that values my privacy and my time: I would never wish to bring anyone into this world and experience the shit I have did. Secondly, I'm yet to see anyone truly happy in that situation.. just seems like piles and piles of pointless sacrifice.

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:05 am 

stefan86 wrote:
Yeah, the two big factors beyond that I could never cope mentally since I'm a person that values my privacy and my time: I would never wish to bring anyone into this world and experience the shit I have did. Secondly, I'm yet to see anyone truly happy in that situation.. just seems like piles and piles of pointless sacrifice.

I don't want kids, either, but I know plenty of people who are very happy with their children. One of them is ridiculously busy with her three young kids, but they're good kids and she is happy with them.

However, I do know what you're saying. You have to give up a lot and you have to put the years of hard work in. It's not for everyone (unfortunately it's too easy to be pregnant/impregnate), so you have to know for sure.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:16 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I don't want kids, either, but I know plenty of people who are very happy with their children. One of them is ridiculously busy with her three young kids, but they're good kids and she is happy with them.

However, I do know what you're saying. You have to give up a lot and you have to put the years of hard work in. It's not for everyone (unfortunately it's too easy to be pregnant/impregnate), so you have to know for sure.

It's just an insane deal, at least if you still have an area of interests and ambition beyond working 24/7. Some of my friends are actually able to deal with it and retain musical stuff and a social life, but it definitely requires that you can deal with being on the run pretty much all the time. Generally, I'd say it's easier if you don't have that many interests to pursue. Those who gets kids early (intentionally) tend to be of the work and then TV sofa category.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:31 am 

stefan86 wrote:
It's just an insane deal, at least if you still have an area of interests and ambition beyond working 24/7. Some of my friends are actually able to deal with it and retain musical stuff and a social life, but it definitely requires that you can deal with being on the run pretty much all the time. Generally, I'd say it's easier if you don't have that many interests to pursue. Those who gets kids early (intentionally) tend to be of the work and then TV sofa category.

Some people are lucky enough to balance the two halves of their lives, and it's actually healthy to do so. Others can't. My workmate has three kids (one has left home, the others are much younger and still live with him), and he absolutely has no time for anything. He's constantly running around doing home duties or outside duties and never truly has time for himself. And yet my other friend (the one I mentioned in my previous post) has three kids 6 and under, and manages to work full time, balance a boyfriend, and still have time to see her friends and go out and such. I guess it depends on the person. She is always on the go, though.

My advice to anyone is to be completely, utterly, 100% sure you're ready for kids before diving in. It's a never-ending job and it's stressful, so you need to be totally sure. I'm sure you already knew that, though, stefan. :)

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Some people are lucky enough to balance the two halves of their lives, and it's actually healthy to do so. Others can't. My workmate has three kids (one has left home, the others are much younger and still live with him), and he absolutely has no time for anything. He's constantly running around doing home duties or outside duties and never truly has time for himself. And yet my other friend (the one I mentioned in my previous post) has three kids 6 and under, and manages to work full time, balance a boyfriend, and still have time to see her friends and go out and such. I guess it depends on the person. She is always on the go, though.

My advice to anyone is to be completely, utterly, 100% sure you're ready for kids before diving in. It's a never-ending job and it's stressful, so you need to be totally sure. I'm sure you already knew that, though, stefan. :)

Yeah, balance is extremely hard. Seems at least one or two of the work, relationship, social life, place to live, music, and workout categories always suffer. Guess I would need to drop the expectation that all of them should work though :D

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 am 

Some people let their families become their lives. Not every person had a very big social circle when they were single. Also, gotta keep in mind that one's work schedule might also play into it. A teacher, or someone who works in public function, will have more spare time which will allow them to balance it between family and personal life(hobbies, friends, etc.)

@stefan86: that's one of my fears. Getting to the point where I'm finally done with my studies and all that's left is working full time, from 9 to 5 about 5-6 days a week. That never-ending repetitive cycle. Even if I end up not disliking my job(s), everyone will eventually need a break. And I dunno how people with kids still manage to have the energy to devote their free time to them.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:03 am 

Festivus wrote:
@stefan86: that's one of my fears. Getting to the point where I'm finally done with my studies and all that's left is working full time, from 9 to 5 about 5-6 days a week. That never-ending repetitive cycle. Even if I end up not disliking my job(s), everyone will eventually need a break. And I dunno how people with kids still manage to have the energy to devote their free time to them.

Yeah, there really is no solution beyond being one of those people who can summon endless energy. People who think "what's the point?" every day aren't really suited to deal with such a repetitive lifestyle. I like my job a lot but it still feels like I have no time at all to devote things I'm truly passionate about. Dealing with anxiety and depression while being on a crazy workout and musical schedule really is too much for me to handle when being one of those half-persons (emo but accurate way to describe it).

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am 

colin040 wrote:
The idea of death frightens me to a certain degree. The idea of my grandparents, my parents and eventually myself (assuming it will happen in that order) passing is somewhat bizarre to me.

I agree that the idea of your parents dying at one point is terrifying though. Assuming mine will die at old age, they've still got many years to go yet I can't help but feel anxious about it sometimes.

This is really late, but I know the feel. I'm 15 and death scares the shit out of me now. How is it going to be when I'm actually on death's door? I just have no idea how to come to terms with death, even in the best of times. Can't really offer any help, but I just thought you might appreciate having someone else voicing similar fears.

Anyway, just popped in to let you guys know I've essentially resolved to limit contact with that girl I mentioned a few days ago to an absolute minimum. I just had one too many shitty nights because of her, and I still feel pretty down about everything now, but hopefully things will get better. :)

I do this to pass the hours. Only to pass the hours

SufferingQuota
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:31 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
This is really late, but I know the feel. I'm 15 and death scares the shit out of me now. How is it going to be when I'm actually on death's door? I just have no idea how to come to terms with death, even in the best of times. Can't really offer any help, but I just thought you might appreciate having someone else voicing similar fears.

Anyway, just popped in to let you guys know I've essentially resolved to limit contact with that girl I mentioned a few days ago to an absolute minimum. I just had one too many shitty nights because of her, and I still feel pretty down about everything now, but hopefully things will get better. :)

I was like that too when I was at your age! That made me sound quite a lot older, but I'm 24 now, and I rarely worry about death at all, and when I do it's only when I'm driving. When you get a bit older and relaxed you worry less and enjoy life more. Your teens is when you worry most, I guess, but you just have to find your place. Not to say that's not a challenge, but that's another discussion!

I haven't read your earlier posts, but good for you for limiting contact with people who do you no good - life is too to waste in destructive friendships/relationships!

KEISER - Black metal

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 pm 

Death didn't scare me when I was 15. I was, however, scared of growing up due to feeling more pressure on my shoulders and being asked to decide what to do for my future. A lot of kids have no idea what they want to do when they're still in high school. And depending on the country you live in, your educational system might pressure you more or less to pick your future job or field.

SufferingQuota
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:31 pm 

Hah, for me it was quite the opposite. I couldn't wait to become an adult, have a job, buy a house (not that I have yet, anyway) and own a car. In retrospect I wish I could have enjoyed my formative years more instead of worrying so much. I completely agree that it's absurd that we have to decide what path we want to start embarking on when we are 15/16 (which we do in Norway, at least). I guess it's the same in most countries.

KEISER - Black metal

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:52 pm 

SufferingQuota wrote:
Hah, for me it was quite the opposite. I couldn't wait to become an adult, have a job, buy a house (not that I have yet, anyway) and own a car. In retrospect I wish I could have enjoyed my formative years more instead of worrying so much. I completely agree that it's absurd that we have to decide what path we want to start embarking on when we are 15/16 (which we do in Norway, at least). I guess it's the same in most countries.

Well making my own money in order to buy all the video games I wanted seemed tempting, indeed.

Here, you can pick between humanities, art and hard sciences when you get to 10th grade. Ofc many kids go for humanities because they suck at math and physics and wanna run away from it. I kinda blame the educational system on this one. Math is taught in such a dull way. Plus, when you're a kid, math looks way more complicated since your brain isn't as developed. When I pick a 7th, 8th or 9th grade math book, I can tell it's not as hard as I remembered it to be. I wish Khan Academy was around when I was a kid.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:14 pm 

Regarding the thread question, no. If I could get a new job that is less customer orientated, I would be a lot happier. That's my main issue. I feel like there's a little part of me eroding away from dealing with difficult people virtually everyday. I actively dread waking up most days.

There might be a bit of scope coming up to move away from what I'm doing now, so hopefully that will present itself. I need to retrain in something else.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:22 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Regarding the thread question, no. If I could get a new job that is less customer orientated, I would be a lot happier. That's my main issue. I feel like there's a little part of me eroding away from dealing with difficult people virtually everyday. I actively dread waking up most days.

There might be a bit of scope coming up to move away from what I'm doing now, so hopefully that will present itself. I need to retrain in something else.

I know that feel. I'm not so good with people either. Plus, working in retail is a real eye opener for you in how people can be REALLY stupid.

dragons_secrets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:53 pm 

stefan86 wrote:
Yeah, there really is no solution beyond being one of those people who can summon endless energy. People who think "what's the point?" every day aren't really suited to deal with such a repetitive lifestyle. I like my job a lot but it still feels like I have no time at all to devote things I'm truly passionate about. Dealing with anxiety and depression while being on a crazy workout and musical schedule really is too much for me to handle when being one of those half-persons (emo but accurate way to describe it).

This is how I feel most of the time. Also why I doubt I ever have any kids because I can't summon the energy to devote time to my passions even without such responsibilities. On the bright side, I like the job that I've had for the past 4 years well enough, and that "what's the point?" feeling doesn't happen as often as it used to. Also, the anxiety from being forced to deal with difficult people I have had in previous jobs is kept to a minimum. But still in spite of all of this, when I'm not at work I'm always buying cheap cd's either online or in a shop just to have something to sort of offset my perpetual boredom as well as my general lack of direction and motivation in life. So I guess I'm "happy" when I'm occupied but if I look at the grand scheme (which I never do) then I'm wasting what should be the best years of my life.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:13 pm 

Stefan86, I'm on the same page as you with quite a bit of what you said down to not planning to have any kids. The world is overpopulated as it is, anyhow. A lot of people have kids because they're too dumb to understand the concept of contraception. Many have kids they can ill afford to take care of let alone be good parents to them. Many have kids because that's just the thing you're supposed to do.

In particular I see many women have kids and give up careers because motherhood is the be all end all for a lot of women, which seems like a waste to me. I went to school with a lot of bright girls and many of them are stay at home moms now who spend half their day on Facebook every day.

I see shitty parents raising shitty spoiled/misbehaving kids every day. I don't mean kids are shitty but they'll grow up to be assholes like their parents. What's the point? Way too many people overestimate the value of their genes.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:52 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:

Good! She seemed like really bad news and not really a friend to you, especially by accusing you of rape which is a really shitty thing to do. I know it hurts now but in time you will see it's for the best. :)

Festivus wrote:
Death didn't scare me when I was 15. I was, however, scared of growing up due to feeling more pressure on my shoulders and being asked to decide what to do for my future. A lot of kids have no idea what they want to do when they're still in high school. And depending on the country you live in, your educational system might pressure you more or less to pick your future job or field.

Ooh, me too. At the age of 15 I was supposed to choose a field I was considering going into when I was in high school. I obviously had no idea and it took me another decade (seriously) before I truly decided what I wanted to do. The pressure is insane.

While teenagers are not really aware of it, you don't have to choose at that young age. There's plenty of opportunities later in life to decide what you want to pursue. I think this social pressure can make people unhappy.

Dandelo wrote:

Is there something else you would like to do? Or is it more of a case of "anything but this"?

I'm sorry you're waking up daily with utter dread. I know what that's like and it's no way to live. The best thing you can do is try to look for something more in your field while trying to find the best points of your current job. I'm sure you already knew that, though. :)

As hard as it is, do try to go to work in a positive mood and with a smile on your face. It may be the opposite of what you're feeling, but walking into work in a glum mood will permeate through all your interactions and will make it difficult. If you go in at least acting positive, you may find your day will improve a little bit from it. Food for thought. :)

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:45 am 

@MikeyC

The thing is, people are usually done with their studies, or at least their bachelors by the time they're 25-26. And then, even if they regret the area they majored in, they might not have the time or the drive to go back to university at, let's say, age 30. You do see older people at uni, but they're a minority.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:53 am 

Festivus wrote:
@MikeyC

The thing is, people are usually done with their studies, or at least their bachelors by the time they're 25-26. And then, even if they regret the area they majored in, they might not have the time or the drive to go back to university at, let's say, age 30. You do see older people at uni, but they're a minority.

I did think about it when I was only 23-24(I had ended my studies with 22) but I had not money and I thought it was not fair to ask my parents to pay another 3-4 years.

Anyway I admire those who can study and work at the same time, I simply couldnt do it.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:01 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Festivus wrote:
@MikeyC

I did think about it when I was only 23-24(I had ended my studies with 22) but I had not money and I thought it was not fair to ask my parents to pay another 3-4 years.

Anyway I admire those who can study and work at the same time, I simply couldnt do it.

People who work and study at the same time do it because they have no other choice. Maybe if you had found yourself in the same situation as them you'd manage to pull it off.

In some countries, studying is quite expensive. My country is top 10 in Europe for highest university tuition fees. It's insane. Back in the early 90s you paid almost nothing to study at a public university here. Nowadays you pay over a thousand euros per year. As far as I know, only Italians and Brits pay more for university tuition than us. Meanwhile, people in countries like Germany and Norway pay basically nothing.

BasqueStorm
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:11 am 

stefan86 wrote:
I would trade my last 15 years for being 25 instead of 30 now, easily. Much of the bitterness stems from bad decisions that wasted my time, stupid ass long relatonship with the wrong person and not exploring life enough.

No way! I'm better and wiser as time goes on. As it should.

MikeyC wrote:

stefan86 wrote:

MikeyC wrote:

It think it's just a matter of choosing the moment.
I could not imagine myself thinking about children some years ago but now... maybe in some years... why not?

CardsOfWar wrote:

SufferingQuota wrote:
I was like that too when I was at your age! That made me sound quite a lot older, but I'm 24 now, and I rarely worry about death at all, and when I do it's only when I'm driving. When you get a bit older and relaxed you worry less and enjoy life more. Your teens is when you worry most, I guess, but you just have to find your place. Not to say that's not a challenge, but that's another discussion!
I haven't read your earlier posts, but good for you for limiting contact with people who do you no good - life is too to waste in destructive friendships/relationships!

I have NEVER in my life (I'm 36) cared for death but it sucks to loss someone.
Well done. Stop caring about people who does NOT care about you.

SufferingQuota wrote:

It's something in halfway.
Flow towards what you want.

Dandelo wrote:

You'll eventually end up enjoying it, really. I mean, if you want to learn something from it. That was my case.

Paganbasque wrote:

That's hard, man!

Acidgobblin
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:47 am 

For me, studying whilst working full-time has been very draining but directly rewarding. As soon as I finished my qualification, I got a change in job title and a payrise, though I do virtually the same work.

I have a close friend who works in retail, but is finishing a degree in photography/cinematography. He detests the tedium of dealing with customers but says that his studying, whilst being time-consuming, gives him great hope during the slowest and darkest periods of retail. He knows that his current lot is not permament and that makes him enjoy it more.

In both of these examples, I think you can see how studying and working at the same time can be really beneficial. That benefit makes the sacrifice much less...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:57 pm 

Festivus wrote:
@MikeyC

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but there are some older people at uni in Australia. In fact, I started at age 27 so I won't be graduating until well into my 30's. :) I can see that some people may not have the time or the desire to return to study, which is understandable, but if you want to do it enough, you'll find the time.

I also work 6 days a week while studying. Since I'm not Superman, I do part-time study, which really relieves the workload, but it still means I'm making progress, just slower. I'm not worried about that, honestly. I still see the end result. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 pm 

I'm probably the only idiot who gets excited about applying for a job knowing how that usually ends, and I'm definitely the only idiot who gets excited about applying for a part-time nightshift cleaning job, but it's at the GYMMMMMM I go to!!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 pm 

Dude, night shift cleaning would be awesome. Hardly anyone there, you can probably take your iPod in (maybe?), you can do your own thing, and it's at the gym you go to. Nothing wrong with that at all. :D

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:12 pm 

Well, I applied, the guy said the resume looks nice and the boss will look at it, but the CV will probably kill it with its long gaps.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:18 pm 

I'd say that's a great choice. I wish I could find some nighttime job like that, or loss prevention somewhere. Apparently being a rent-a-cop isn't so easy to do with no credentials so that's sort of down the shitter.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:30 pm 

Night shift is fucking great if you don't mind not having a social life. I was on nights for November and December last year and it was the best time I've had in recent memory. There's just something majestic about being alive while the rest of the world is sleeping. Unfortunately I always had a partner so no real time to myself. I'd go back on nights in a heart beat if I got the chance. Plus on your off days (or when you get up for that matter) it's super easy to get stuff done cause there's never anybody else out.

I miss night shift so much that I go out walking at like 10pm every night just so that I'm out for a bit while no one else is.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:02 pm 

I could see that. I had a banquet serving job in college and occasionally I'd have to get up at 3:45 am to walk to a 4:30 shift; always loved the silence and stillness of doing that in the fall/winter months, punctuated by the odd yelps of drunken folk staggering home from house parties...

That said, I've heard a lot about people getting depressed doing long-term night shift work on account of our bodies needing sunlight, etc., etc., so it's interesting that you were able to do it that long without any ill psychological effect. I suppose like most things it depends on the person.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:04 pm 

I recently got a new job and will be moving back to Orlando, which is my home town and a big city with a lot to do all of the time - nothing like the small towns I've been in for the last year or two. It also pays $17.50 an hour, which will be the most I've ever made at a job so far. So I think things are going well right now.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 pm 

I need a nightshift job for income, can't work during the day if any of the internships I'm applying to call me in.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:12 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
That said, I've heard a lot about people getting depressed doing long-term night shift work on account of our bodies needing sunlight, etc., etc., so it's interesting that you were able to do it that long without any ill psychological effect. I suppose like most things it depends on the person.

Well I wouldn't say none... for the entire month of January I barely slept more than three hours a night.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:47 pm 

I fucking hate sleep. I sleep eight hours or more every day despite an array of alarms trying to prevent it. Depression remnants, laziness, I do not know, I just want to know how to fix it. Just managing to go for seven would be bliss.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:14 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I could see that. I had a banquet serving job in college and occasionally I'd have to get up at 3:45 am to walk to a 4:30 shift; always loved the silence and stillness of doing that in the fall/winter months, punctuated by the odd yelps of drunken folk staggering home from house parties...

My job means I get up at 4am every day, and there's hardly anyone out. It makes a great drive. :)

Empyreal wrote:
I recently got a new job and will be moving back to Orlando, which is my home town and a big city with a lot to do all of the time - nothing like the small towns I've been in for the last year or two. It also pays $17.50 an hour, which will be the most I've ever made at a job so far. So I think things are going well right now.

Man, your hourly rate shows the divide between American and Australian wages. ;) But hey, that's pretty good! Sounds like you're looking forward to going back to your home town. :)

droneriot wrote:
I fucking hate sleep. I sleep eight hours or more every day despite an array of alarms trying to prevent it. Depression remnants, laziness, I do not know, I just want to know how to fix it. Just managing to go for seven would be bliss.

This just sounds like you being healthy, mate. We're supposed to get eight hours a day so it's likely a good thing. :)

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:01 pm 

Not too happy right now. I've been struggling with schizophrenia for years. And although my condition is slowly improving, I often get depressed, extremely anxious, and have thoughts of suicide.

I'm looking for part-time employment from a local service to ease back into the work force. There are a lot of weird timeframe gaps on my resume due to my illness, and I feel behind compared to other people.

That being said, on a positive note, I feel most happy when I'm listening to music.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:28 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
Not too happy right now. I've been struggling with schizophrenia for years. And although my condition is slowly improving, I often get depressed, extremely anxious, and have thoughts of suicide.

Mate, I'm sorry to hear that. I've never had schizophrenia but I do know the debilitating nature of it. Focus on the improvement of your condition when you consider suicide. Similarly, focus on all the good things in your life, too - doesn't matter what they are. Music, good food, family, friends, whatever it might be. Honing in on what's important to you in your life is a good way of passing through these darker periods of your life.

twistedknife wrote:
I'm looking for part-time employment from a local service to ease back into the work force. There are a lot of weird timeframe gaps on my resume due to my illness, and I feel behind compared to other people.

Much like droneriot a few posts back who's also worried about gaps in the CV, it becomes very frustrating when you're forced to explain away why that's there. Maybe you took a year off travelling, maybe you were in hospital for something really serious, maybe there was a death or two - three of any number of infinite reasons why there are gaps in a resume, and why it ultimately shouldn't matter.

Feeling behind is a normal feeling, I think, and I feel/felt the same way in many regards, but remember that everyone is different and "behind" is a relative term forced upon people from social norms, which have very little weighting when it comes to the different paths people take with life. You will be fine, I know it. :)

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:32 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
You will be fine, I know it. :)

Thanks for those kind words.

I'll never kill myself but I am sometimes plagued with the thoughts.

I have a lot of support from my family as well, which helps a lot.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
You will be fine, I know it. :)

Thanks for those kind words.

I'll never kill myself but I am sometimes plagued with the thoughts.

I have a lot of support from my family as well, which helps a lot.

I'm glad you have a lot of support from the people around you. That is invaluable. :)

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:45 am 

droneriot wrote:

Eight hours is considered a very healthy amount of time, so you should not be worried about it. I would like to sleep this but I simply cannot.

I have seen depressed people who tend to sleep ten hours or more, which is obviously not good.

The good thing is if you can get up early and do as many thing as you can, I mean if yo go to sleep at 11.00pm and you get up 7.00 am I think that its a pretty good rutine.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:14 am 

I can easily sleep for 11-12 hours on a weekend, especially if booze is in the equation. Probably depends on not getting enough during the weekdays though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next