Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:37 pm 

Anybody else wish there were websites similar to www.metal-archives.com but for other musical genres?
Example, one I think that would become immensely popular if executed correctly would be a www.hiphop-archives.com

Metal Archives is great tool for finding out about new bands, labels and album reviews, but we have nothing like it for any other music genre, making it difficult to find new acts within a genre [outside of metal], especially underground acts and I think music genres that have huge underground fallowings such as Hip Hop or Electronica could benefit from an "archive" site like metal has. What's your thoughts?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:20 pm 

IMHO, I think it would be awesome if there was an Industrial Music archives.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:53 pm 

There's Prog Archives, but it suffers by allowing *way* too many bands. Basically if a band has a song over 6 minutes long and play guitars, they're probably on Prog Archives.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:36 pm 

I've always wished there were an analog of MA for ambient/drone/noise/post-industrial music, because the world needs one. Everything else I couldn't care less about.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:43 pm 

It would be cool if we could have pages for classical artists on MA. Someone please add a profile for Bach on April Fool's Day.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:44 pm 

ghroth wrote:
There's Prog Archives, but it suffers by allowing *way* too many bands. Basically if a band has a song over 6 minutes long and play guitars, they're probably on Prog Archives.

A good example to show people why we enforce what they interpret as overzealous standards of our own.

Without it, the entire point of being a metal encyclopedia is neutered.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:52 pm 

I wish there was some kind of comprehensive punk music archive, but I guess the general attitude of punk doesn't provide a collaborative project of obsessive, pedantic, and nerdy info collection with as much fuel as that of metal does.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:07 pm 

I swear this topic comes up once a month.

But someone tell me if I'm wrong when I say that metal fans are the biggest music nerds ever. Does anyone else organize and label music in such a complicated way?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm 

I just wish there was nu metal on Metallum :( :( :(

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:51 pm 

No, it's nice that metal has something special.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:02 am 

I hate to be that guy, but there was a thread like this a month ago or so. And in said thread, someone listed a Jazz archives. In case anyone is interested here it is: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/

Pretty useful to browse works by movement/sub-genre.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:39 pm 

There was a Hardcore Database that surfaced a few years ago that had a lot of potential. The owner was into the shitty swoopcore shit (the first band added was Dance Gavin Dance), but he did at least understand the need for rules and boundaries and did a good job of making what he considered under the blanket of hardcore to be clear. I found the site when a friend stumbled across it and started making fun of the terrible bands included. There were only like 30 at the time, but they were all of that variety, so I decided to submit Minor Threat and Black Flag and see what happened. They were accepted immediately. I kept adding classic hardcore punk and modern beatdown stuff and before long the owner decided to make me the first mod, which was nice, but the site folded less than a month later. The guy just couldn't handle the entire site like he thought he could (I assume at least, he's gone completely AWOL from the internet since then) and just tried to do too much. It had everything MA does but the front page was full of pointless PR news like who was releasing what and what music videos just debuted and whatnot. Him trying to make it something of a news site combined with the fact that hardcore fans aren't nearly as obsessive, nerdy, and meticulous as metal fans and the fact that I think he just couldn't afford hosting caused it to fold, but it was a cool idea and I wish it would have survived.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:30 am 

Diamhea wrote:
ghroth wrote:

A good example to show people why we enforce what they interpret as overzealous standards of our own.

Without it, the entire point of being a metal encyclopedia is neutered.

They're also an example of why M-A has review standards, because Prog Archives reviews are almost uniformly terrible. For some reason all of the staff and featured reviewers (few of whom are any good) post band names and the last names of musicians in all caps, like they're writing ad copy.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:38 am 

Rateyourmusic is a decent site. I prefer the format and presentation of MA, but RYM is sufficient for my non-metal aural feasting. It is nice to get accurate information on releases and musical entities.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:40 am 

No, I don't wish there were similar archives. Only metal could sustain a site such as this, the fans of other styles have proven that they can't handle the endeavor. This is a lasting monument to the greatest kind of music ever created, and other styles are relegated to the pages of rags like Billboard and Rolling Stone or inferior sites like Prog Archives.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:01 am 

It would be nice to have something like a Jazz Archives (J-A?) or an Industrial Archives (I-A?), but they need people like HellBlazer and Morrigan to make it happen, and I don't know if they will. Too bad, really. Metal's obviously supreme but to have the option of similar archives of all other genres would be pretty special.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:43 am 

MikeyC wrote:
It would be nice to have something like a Jazz Archives (J-A?) or an Industrial Archives (I-A?), but they need people like HellBlazer and Morrigan to make it happen, and I don't know if they will. Too bad, really. Metal's obviously supreme but to have the option of similar archives of all other genres would be pretty special.

As I've said earlier in this thread, there kind of is a web archive for Jazz: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:58 pm 

Festivus wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

As I've said earlier in this thread, there kind of is a web archive for Jazz: http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/

You did mention it. I'm sorry. I looked through the forum and while I initially thought it was badly formatted, I turned out to be wrong. That's actually a pretty exhaustive (as far as I know) encyclopaedia of jazz. I know nothing about jazz but if I wanted to try stuff out, I would definitely be on there having a look.

Now imagine that site with Metal-Archives layout. That would be very cool. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Hell Bent Devil Sent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 pm 

Varg Vikernes wrote:
"When you encounter such apparent "mistakes" made by me you need to accept them as correct, and keep reading until you realise that my interpretation is in fact correct."

Basically his entire argument always. Guy's a fucking prick.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:02 am 

I would definitely use a rap/hip-hop database. I am always grateful for MA when I am trying to find info on artists that don't play metal.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:03 am 

A folk archives or ambient music archives would be fine for me.

I would like to have an alternative pop/rock/ambient music archives because I hate those modern websites where there is too much rubbish(images, videos, links to other sites,etc) and not enough and CLEAR information about the bands history an discography.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:11 am 

MikeyC wrote:
You did mention it. I'm sorry. I looked through the forum and while I initially thought it was badly formatted, I turned out to be wrong. That's actually a pretty exhaustive (as far as I know) encyclopaedia of jazz. I know nothing about jazz but if I wanted to try stuff out, I would definitely be on there having a look.

MA is quite light and functional, indeed. But I'm already satisfied that there's a good Jazz music archive out there. Now if there only was a good extensive Classical music archive...

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am 

A Metal Musicians archive would be sweet, there's somewhat of a similar concept here on MA but i'm thinking a Metal Musicians archive that looks to more in-depth information towards the past/future careers. Interviews, quotes, links to social media, news, etc.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:19 pm 

Festivus wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

MA is quite light and functional, indeed. But I'm already satisfied that there's a good Jazz music archive out there. Now if there only was a good extensive Classical music archive...

There used to be one, at allclassical.com, but for some reason it disappeared.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:30 pm 

Festivus wrote:

A classical archive couldn't be very similar in structure to MA because classical music works differently since works/composers and records/performers almost never coincide. I guess the question is what you'd want out of it that existing databases don't already provide.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:15 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Festivus wrote:

A classical archive couldn't be very similar in structure to MA because classical music works differently since works/composers and records/performers almost never coincide. I guess the question is what you'd want out of it that existing databases don't already provide.

True, but I could see it work by making a page to each composer and then list which orchestras or piano players have played said composer's stuff.

There could be a section for composers and orchestras that play others' works, I guess.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:49 pm 

As much as I'd enjoy having an Industrial-Archives site, I have no idea how we could ever come to an agreement for what counts as an industrial band and what doesn't.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:29 am 

Lythronax wrote:
As much as I'd enjoy having an Industrial-Archives site, I have no idea how we could ever come to an agreement for what counts as an industrial band and what doesn't.

I feel the same way about the idea for a folk music archive. Though I'd really like one I assume it's pretty impossible to draw a line somewhere since folk music can be pretty much anything.

Edit: I spell like crap.

Last edited by laxskinn on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:15 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Festivus wrote:

There is an classical archives site that let you sort stuff by composer or musician http://www.classicalarchives.com/

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 am 

Unity wrote:
Festivus wrote:

There used to be one, at allclassical.com, but for some reason it disappeared.

I used to hear http://www.classicalarchives.com/ advertised on a couple podcasts.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:58 am 

laxskinn wrote:
Though I'd really like one I assume it's pretty impossible to draw a line somewhere since folk music can be pretty much anything.

that's why you just subgenre'ize the shit out of it like rutracker seeders do.

Thrashageddon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:42 am 

Last edited by Thrashageddon on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:11 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I would definitely use a rap/hip-hop database. I am always grateful for MA when I am trying to find info on artists that don't play metal.

I like the idea of it, but how would it be of any use? does hip-hop have identifiable subdivisions nowadays?

like, I know I can avoid all death metal, or just all brutal death metal, or I can get melodic death metal without getting 'modern metal' if the contributors were detail oriented. what would I do in hip-hop? maybe you could find/exclude trap beats or old school or nerdcore, but beyond that, isn't it just a giant mess of sounds?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:10 pm 

Metal Archives exists because lots and lots of people were willing to dedicate incredible numbers of hours to mind-numbing clerical work and data entry and database programming and management for no real compensation of any kind.

So far, fans of other kinds of music haven't been willing to put in the same kind of time.

To all the people wishing there were a drone/hardcore/ambient/classical/whatever archives: put in the time and effort yourself. Teach yourself whatever necessary skills you lack. Learn programming, or recruit people who do. Organize. Write rules. Pay for hosting. Gather and add info on bands. Get other people to do the same. Too busy? Too much effort? Too broke? Don't care enough? Then I guess wishing other people would make all those sacrifices for your benefit is kind of shitty, isn't it?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Metal Archives exists because lots and lots of people were willing to dedicate incredible numbers of hours to mind-numbing clerical work and data entry and database programming and management for no real compensation of any kind.

So far, fans of other kinds of music haven't been willing to put in the same kind of time.

To all the people wishing there were a drone/hardcore/ambient/classical/whatever archives: put in the time and effort yourself. Teach yourself whatever necessary skills you lack. Learn programming, or recruit people who do. Organize. Write rules. Pay for hosting. Gather and add info on bands. Get other people to do the same. Too busy? Too much effort? Too broke? Don't care enough? Then I guess wishing other people would make all those sacrifices for your benefit is kind of shitty, isn't it?

I'm glad that HellBlazer and Morrigan were motivated enough to do such a thing, since the Archives as we know it today is an invaluable tool for looking up bands and artists and so on. Maybe there will be other people who are fans of other genres that will do such a thing in the future (we have already seen a classical page, for example).

Unfortunately, I do think your last sentence was unnecessarily aggressive. I would gather that less than 1% of the members here know how to code. Perhaps even less have the financial abilities to make a site like this. Telling people to "do X and do Y" and then saying it's "shitty" to expect something like that, which nobody here is doing, and being truculent on a thread that is merely posing hypotheticals (with some actual links by people who know) isn't conducive to proper discussion.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:53 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
does hip-hop have identifiable subdivisions nowadays?

Yes. I'm about the furthest thing in the universe from a hip-hop expert, but I know there are many different divisions like the east/west coast thing, alternative rap (supposedly much better than alternative rock), jazz-rap fusion, dirty south, crunk, something from Florida I can't remember the name of, old-school, and various regional/city scenes. Every genre does this, especially when nerds on the internet get involved.

Personally though, if I had to pick the potential archives with the most toxic subgenre arguments, it would be the hypothetical classical one. A thread with a feud between Early Romantic and Late Romantic fans would be one I would prefer to avoid, not to mention the Eastern European national classical (which, unlike everything else involving Eastern European nationalism, is decent music and not very racist).

E: Seriously the "NS" shit that comes out of Poland and the Ukraine is like Louis Farrakhan endorsing Donald Trump.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:10 am 

Erotetic wrote:
ObservationSlave wrote:

I like the idea of it, but how would it be of any use? does hip-hop have identifiable subdivisions nowadays?

like, I know I can avoid all death metal, or just all brutal death metal, or I can get melodic death metal without getting 'modern metal' if the contributors were detail oriented. what would I do in hip-hop? maybe you could find/exclude trap beats or old school or nerdcore, but beyond that, isn't it just a giant mess of sounds?

I think that there is more identity in where rappers come from (LA, NYC, Atlanta, etc.), then any particular sub-genre. I wouldn't necessarily want to use it to find people who are similar to one another, but for basic information on each artist, their releases, and reviews of their stuff. I often find myself trying to find more information on a rapper, and wikipedia doesn't always cut it.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:35 am 

I really wish there was an AOR/melodic hard rock archives. If you dig through related videos sections on youtube, there are a TON of 80's and early 90's AOR bands that have little no info online. Especially with bands that barely made a demo let alone a full length. I guess there are a few blogs out there but nothing remotely like M-A so this kind of thing would be awesome.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 am 

These days I've actually been thinking about the idea of an archive site for Korean pop music (K-pop). Granted, that would obviously limit the amount of artists accepted, but I think it would be really useful for us who are invested in the scene, including myself.
Sure, there are quite a few sites dedicated to information regarding K-pop, but I think having one with the Metal-Archives features would be extremely awesome. For example, album collections (+trading), recommending similar artists, keeping track of line-up history, adding other album versions, etc.

ggallin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:47 pm 

years ago i had a plan to make kind of the punk version of metal archives. sites like flex and kfth were great but flex covered american punk and kfth was only about the 80s and period fanzine reviews. i wanted to do something like ma for punk with user submitted reviews. sadly i couldn't get the money to fund it!!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next