Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 am 

Too many to list, probably. For on-site bitching, just browse this thread.

There was this one guy who tried to insert passages about the staff not being able to deal with criticism, banning people for exposing site contradictions, etc. into Wikipedia's article on MA. Everything written up as if it were researched fact most people agree on, with links to forum threads and all. It was quickly removed, fortunately, though led to a short edit war until I think his IP was blocked. I think we established that he was a user who got some J-rock bands rejected and threw a fit until he got banned. I don't remember the exact details, though.

EDIT: Jesus, so many clichés and uninformed nonsense in that RYM "article"...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 am 

How does a person like the guy who wrote that article function in daily life? Like who the fuck has the time to write all that shit? Just awful "humor" too - real bottom of the barrel stuff with the pretending to quote MA as some strawman. So lame.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 am 

I read the intro and conclusion. The rest is just a breakdown of bands with the typical "why is X not on the site when Y is" rationale bullshit that the author doesn't understand (or realize) isn't a factor in the way we judge bands. The crux of his arguments, too, is that we're an "authority" on metal and, therefore, should be including all these bands that he believes we're omitting. That's fair. At the same time it's faulty, misguided logic.

People, like that author, tend to ignore or fail to realize that the only credibility we have as an "authority" (despite the fact we don't seek it) is given to us by the people who build, maintain, and use this site. Every person out there has a different way of defining what is and isn't metal, including all the people who run and maintain this site. However, we've gotten where we're at today because enough people think we do a good enough job in covering most of the bases, that they're willing to accept some disagreement with the way the site defines metal compared to their own personal beliefs. I think it helps, to the site's credit, that it isn't just a single person imposing their views on others. It's a collective effort. Decisions, both large and small, are team efforts and open to scrutiny and reassessment. We don't shy away from giving reasons and rationalizing the actions we've taken.

For some people, like this author, all of this is just unacceptable. It's easier for them to justify that the site is run by autistic neckbeards, or by elitist dictators, than it is to accept that a multitude of one's own cultural kin might disagree with them. For some people that's just intolerable: Either they are totally right, or the world is wrong; there is no room for anything in between. These articles are often their attempt at trying to justify to themselves and others why they keep using this site, when they disagree with it so much.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 pm 

I remember when Black Mastrobation got nuked a couple years ago they took Diamhea's post and stuck it on a demo tape as a form of passive aggression. I can't find the post with said demo pictured though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:35 pm 

HOT_DOG_DAY_89 wrote:
You are both posers and elitist snobs according to these people.

Yup, sums it up quite well. We can't ever please everyone, which is why I never even tried to do that since day 1. At the end of the day HB and I draw the line and that's it, don't like it, make your own site.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:46 pm 

The amusing thing is how those people would have an apoplexy if they ran into something like ANUS/DMU - We just have more visibility since we're actually open to newcomers and public discussion.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:56 pm 

I skimmed through most of it and it's the same butthurt whining we usually get from people who are simply incapable of understanding that nu metal doesn't count here, but I had to do a double take at Fishbone. Fishbone is a ska band, that's not even ambiguous, how did they come to that one?

Ooooh I see, they accuse us of not having Fishbone, Living Colour, and Hatebreed out of racism (while acknowledging that Hatebreed is all white guys but they "act black"). Y'all missed Animals as Leaders and Sevendust if you were gonna go there!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:43 pm 

To be fair, Animals as Leaders was here once :V

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:46 pm 

Don't remind us.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:00 pm 

Five Finger Death Punch were on here too. I wonder if people were bitter about their removal?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 pm 

I don't remember that one but I do remember when Suicide Silence was on here

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm 

HOT_DOG_DAY_89 wrote:
you are all are power metal loving losers

That's a rather accurate description of me. I'm even wearing a bootleg Power of the Dragonflame tshirt.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Ooooh I see, they accuse us of not having Fishbone, Living Colour, and Hatebreed out of racism

lol, does someone seriously argue that? I guess I'm both a racist and an SJW! :lol: See what I mean about pleasing everyone?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm 

I forget, didn't Hatebeak used to be here?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 pm 

They still are

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 am 

whoooops, meant Hatebreed, of course.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:49 am 

No, they were never here. Or not with my consent anyway. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:34 am 

was the band queue in place from day one?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Ooooh I see, they accuse us of not having Fishbone, Living Colour, and Hatebreed out of racism (while acknowledging that Hatebreed is all white guys but they "act black"). Y'all missed Animals as Leaders and Sevendust if you were gonna go there!

Just admit it. That band who's first lead guitarist Lloyd Grant was black will be deleted next.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:00 am 

Regarding Hatebreed, yeah... definitely never been on the Archives.

I do like how people will continuously nag us about including popular bands like this one. You would think after cataloguing over 100,000 bands we didn't overlook the super obvious popular bands. Ditto for the whole "Have you guys checked out their latest album?" shit we get from Goatfangs every once and a while. The answer is almost always: yes, yes we have.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 pm 

My answer to "dudez have you checked out new Protest the Hero yet? This is defo melodic progressive heavy metal/hard rock/djent with deathcore influences" will always be "no, no I haven't. And no, no I will not."

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Goatfangs

Ugh, that guy...
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:04 pm 

aloof wrote:

Yes.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
At the end of the day HB and I draw the line and that's it, don't like it, make your own site.

FINE MAYBE I WILL!!!

I don't know if there have been any recently, but the "I'll make my own site!" is my favorite rage-quit ever.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:34 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
At the end of the day HB and I draw the line and that's it, don't like it, make your own site.

FINE MAYBE I WILL!!!

I don't know if there have been any recently, but the "I'll make my own site!" is my favorite rage-quit ever.

I have to give an atom of credit to antonthereaper for having actually made a site and kept it up for like three months.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm 

Also, most of us have to give antonthereaper credit for reminding us that whatever mental problems we might have aren't as bad as whatever it is he definitely and definitively has.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm 

Frankly, I'd love a site like a "Punk Archives", "Hardcore Archives", "Metalcore Archives". That way when I toss a band, I can tell the submitter to go there.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:33 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
"I'll make my own site!"

"With blackjack and hookers!"

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:45 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Punk Archives

YES! Fuck everything else.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:29 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
aloof wrote:

Yes.

interesting. thanks! :)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 pm 

The Hardcore Database existed for a while and that had potential, but it was sorta like Alhadis' oft-mentioned Tome of Noise where it was too restrictive to really encompass everything it (to me) logically should have. The guy who started it was into weak swoopcore nonsense like Dance Gavin Dance, and when the site first went public all my friends were making fun of it for lacking Black Flag and Minor Threat... so I spent a few days adding Black Flag and Minor Threat and the old hardcore punk bands in that vein. And guess what? They were accepted. The dude understood how far hardcore extended, he just didn't listen to all of it, so it was a slow growth. Unfortunately I think he tried making it much bigger than he could handle, adding in up-to-the-minute news trackers of new releases and such and it just totally overwhelmed him. Certainly didn't help that I was one of the biggest band submitters at first to the point where I became the first mod, and then lost interest and quit updating it shortly before it folded. It was a great idea but I'd much rather it be a more all-encompassing Punk Archives type of thing, so that it would include the derivatives of hardcore, the entirety of metalcore (instead of just the clearly more metal stuff like we have here), and whatnot. Punk shot off in a ton of different directions, starting with bands like The Clash and The Ramones and ultimately distorting into something like Last Days of Humanity (sort of like how Black Sabbath and Judas Priest start a family tree that includes sounds that are wholly different like black and death metal), none of which would have been at home on a Hardcore Database, but totally in line with an expansive Punk Archives.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 pm 

I'm in only if I'm the one to add The Pogues.

I think a Punk Archives would be pretty useful overall.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 am 

Wonder if the debates would be the same. Billy Idol on Punk Archives, yes or no?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:38 am 

Apologies in advance for being pedantic, but punk wasn't born with The Ramones and the Clash. Punk's Black Sabbath moment is generally considered to be The Stooges self-titled debut (one of the greatest albums ever, for the record). There's some garage rock type stuff that was very borderline earlier like Los Saicos and The Sonics, but the Stooges are the one that fully pushed it over the edge.

But yeah, a punk archives would be excellent. I can't put into words how helpful the Metal Archives have been for finding new music, and would love to have those same resources available for punk.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am 

In an alternate universe, instead of a "Metal Archives" there is a "Punk Archives" with discussions ranging from "Should we include this proto-punk band?" to "Oh man, this band is more metal than -core, I guess I must reject it." And, also in that universe, a dronepeacefulprotest will be asking: "Wonder if the debates would be the same. Led Zeppelin on Metal Archives, yes or no?"

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:38 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Apologies in advance for being pedantic, but punk wasn't born with The Ramones and the Clash. Punk's Black Sabbath moment is generally considered to be The Stooges self-titled debut (one of the greatest albums ever, for the record). There's some garage rock type stuff that was very borderline earlier like Los Saicos and The Sonics, but the Stooges are the one that fully pushed it over the edge.

But yeah, a punk archives would be excellent. I can't put into words how helpful the Metal Archives have been for finding new music, and would love to have those same resources available for punk.

I worded that poorly. All I really meant to do was illustrate how wildly different it can be, and The Clash is one of the earliest and friendliest bands I could think of in the genre, and it's weird to think that technically they fall under the same massive umbrella as the extremest of the extremes like goregrind and powerviolence.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:28 pm 

Guys, guys, save it for the Punk Archives™

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:53 am 

Any specific reason why the punk/hardcore/crust thread is a sticky butv the grindcore one isn't?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 am 

I believe Zodi un-stickied some of the recommendation threads that were deemed less pertinent.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:31 am 

I was wondering about that too. I wasn't gonna post outside of the actual grindcore thread regarding the topic, but since it's already been brought up, I would have thought they would be treated the same. If anything, it's grindcore that pushes into metal territory more often of the two. And the grindcore thread sees more traffic than the punk/hardcore/crust thread. Not that it really matters though, I can't recall the grindcore thread leaving the front page of the rec forum.

- Tim Minchin

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next