Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:48 pm 

Derigin wrote:
BastardHead would be Secretary of Hilarious Hijinks (ssshhh, don't tell him it's not real!)

I'll gladly be the Billy Carter of this administration!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:48 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Emptiness Cycle, since he's good at PR and probably wont make a fool of himself.

I can't promise that.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:07 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Only if you are Minister of Boiling Water

Infact...

i feel insulted, i've got unique WATER FRYING SKILLS not just lowly boiling skills.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:50 am 

hey, if you think water frying is easy, try some wok cooking... took me years to master! :p

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:00 pm 

Wokking is super easy tho?!?!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:21 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I won't give the exact band but I will give an example on this because it really stuck with me. A few years back, Morri brought up a band in the mod forum and essentially asked "Why did we blacklist this band? This particular album sounds totally acceptable to me." It became a huge discussion and the final tally came down to Morrigan and two other mods saying it was good, and pretty much the entire rest of the team saying it was borderline but not quite. Morri, who co-owns the site and absolutely has the power to veto decisions, deferred to the consensus and trusted the team's judgment on it, so the band remains unlisted. There's a perception around non-MA corners of the internet that she's a belligerent tyrant because she takes no shit and isn't afraid to make fun of and/or ban total fucking morons, but the processes behind the scenes are really so democratic that even the owners are okay with being overruled at times.

We're pretty much the perfect government. Vote for Encyclopaedia Metallum 2020!

Wut...? I have no recollection of this whatsoever. :scratch:

Edit: Azmodes brought up the Agnostic Front thing. I had completely forgotten about that. Anyway, it wasn't about me deferring, it was about me giving up :P No need to try and paint me as democratic, I'm more than happy to be the "belligerent tyrant", I just get lazy and fed up sometimes. :P

Antioch wrote:
@Xlxlx: If she were American, she'd probably go for it.

Shit no, I'd just get the hell out of that shithole of a country. ;)

I'd be like Ray Patterson:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:40 pm 

What was the "high class discussions" section called? The emporium? I always wondered why that was shuttered. I came here to start with due to my love of metal, but found I enjoyed discussing far wider topics with the crowd here.

Granted, I was wrong about a lot of that stuff back then. I'm not without my ability to learn.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:12 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
What was the "high class discussions" section called? The emporium? I always wondered why that was shuttered. I came here to start with due to my love of metal, but found I enjoyed discussing far wider topics with the crowd here.

Granted, I was wrong about a lot of that stuff back then. I'm not without my ability to learn.

The Symposium. I think it was shut down because a lot of people on MA think they're smarter than they really are. Most of the discussion there was navel-gazing and Nazi apologism.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:50 pm 

Another reason it was annoying is that discussions so frequently got derailed by ten-page semantics debates where usually one guy just wasn't understanding some simple definition or concept and therefore two parties would just be talking past one another for page after page without even addressing the topic, and then either it got locked or finally came to be about whatever the actual thread topic was, but often by that time you'd plenty of people doing drive-by posts to offer their pointless two cents on the thread title without bothering to take the time to actually read the thread and participate in the discussion organically. Then you'd get some trolls to help turn it to complete shit.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:13 am 

I used to get into it with the neocon shit-kickers on the old AOL forums all the time. When the conversation devolves to something like this

Quote:
then it's all over. They will just quote entire posts

One sentence at a time, as if every little thing

Quote:
has to be refuted. That does not a conversation make.

I would just stop then, as painfully wrong as they were.

Quote:
All context and meaning is lost, and it becomes just bitching.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:24 pm 

How come forum posts before 2007 are deleted?

What was the process for selecting admins? Just mods who were active early on? When was the last promotion to admin? Has anyone ever been demoted from admin? I noticed Esoteric only has 1000 points on the main site, 1427 posts on the forum, and if we're only looking at his submitted bands, it appears like he was an active contributor mainly in the first few weeks of the website's existence, so on the surface that seems like a strange candidate for admin. Also, if I click on "search user's posts" I only get 20 results, despite the fact that he has 1427 posts. IIRC deleted pre-2007 posts don't add to the post count, so what's up with that? Mod forum posts perhaps?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:47 pm 

Rasha_yad wrote:
How come forum posts before 2007 are deleted?

There was a bug with the previous version of the forum that caused posts made before 2007 to be corrupted and purged. Trust me, I wish we still had those posts sometimes.

Rasha_yad wrote:
What was the process for selecting admins? Just mods who were active early on? When was the last promotion to admin? Has anyone ever been demoted from admin?

1. Admins are selected based on a combination of trust, necessity and experience with the site. They're chosen exclusively by Morrigan and HellBlazer as they seem fit.

2. Nah. There's quite a few of us who were not mods from the very beginning. Time certainly helps, but it's by no means an absolute requirement.

3. Azmodes in 2012.

4. Yes. The most recent was ogmetal in 2011 or 2012.

Rasha_yad wrote:
I noticed Esoteric only has 1000 points on the main site, 1427 posts on the forum, and if we're only looking at his submitted bands, it appears like he was an active contributor mainly in the first few weeks of the website's existence, so on the surface that seems like a strange candidate for admin.

Esoteric is a bit of a special case. He was a very active mod/admin early on in this site's history, but hasn't been active for a long time. Nevertheless, because of all the work he has done for the site he remains an admin as a courtesy and a sign of respect. He's more or less retired now.

Rasha_yad wrote:
Also, if I click on "search user's posts" I only get 20 results, despite the fact that he has 1427 posts. IIRC deleted pre-2007 posts don't add to the post count, so what's up with that? Mod forum posts perhaps?

Yeah, that's odd and I can't explain that. Not enough posts in the mod forum to make up for the difference. It's possible that was the amount from the pre-2007 purge. Though it is kinda odd. For example, why his pre-2007 post count would still be listed, but rexxz alter-ego Thorgrim_Honkronte only shows the post-2007 post count (when it should be over 10K) just boggles the mind. I'm just gonna blame it on phpBB3.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 pm 

There's something weird with the pre-2007 posts. There are some threads that still have them (stickies or former stickies it seems, e.g. The Review Discussion Thread and the old Why Was Band X Accepted thread), and also they seem to crop up in considerable numbers when doing searches (e.g. search for common words like 'metal' or 'band'), although when you try to click them the threads seem to have vanished.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:22 pm 

WHERE'S UNCLE NAPPY.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm 

Around. Just not active much on the forums.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:26 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
WHERE'S UNCLE NAPPY.

AAAAH! THE DEMENTED GEEZER IS LOST IN THE PARK AGAIN!

Sorry, been very busy for a long time now. A big project going on at work and hectic times in civilian life, too.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:26 pm 

Is blind illusion playing in Finland too? Their first euro tour is starting over here on the 23d and im doing my best to go.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 pm 

If Blind Illusion is playing Finland while Erosion and I are there... that'd be kickass.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm 

What's up with Alhadis? He's listed as a mod but his profile is gonezo. https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Alhadis

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:40 pm 

Rasha_yad wrote:
What's up with Alhadis? He's listed as a mod but his profile is gonezo. https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Alhadis

He's taking a leave.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 pm 

Yea, I've been wondering where he went for a while now. Good to know he isn't gone for good.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:31 am 

Al is busy with other things.

The profile isn't gone, just deactivated. Regular users can't view it.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:56 am 

I'd be surprised if this wasn't asked before, but according to search results it indeed wasn't, so I'm going to ask myself.
What are some more notable examples of bands that were accepted because of a later album (that was made after MA was already established)?
Some of the examples I can think of are Tony MacAlpine, Ministry and Soulfly.
Also, what bands were present on the Archives the longest before it was decided to delete them? I know King's X used to be here for a long time, but got deleted relativley recently.
I also remember the Danish AOR band Fate being on here for a couple of years at least - contributed myself to the deletion of that one.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
What are some more notable examples of bands that were accepted because of a later album (that was made after MA was already established)?
Some of the examples I can think of are Tony MacAlpine, Ministry and Soulfly.

Off the top of my head: Nails, Xibalba, Tombs, Hanzel und Gretyl, Cripple Bastards, Buckethead. And while probably not quite as notable in general, Circle also come to mind and theirs was a really weird case; check their notes.

I also vividly recall Rose Kemp, subbed not too long after she released her drone/doom album. That wasn't too long after I first got modded, so I remember playing that album over and over again to make sure I wasn't going to fuck up by approving her. :lol:

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Also, what bands were present on the Archives the longest before it was decided to delete them? I know King's X used to be here for a long time, but got deleted relativley recently.

King's X could be a record, but the Austrian Uruk-Hai also lingered for quite a while. I think they were added around 2004 and deleted in 2013. Some of the German medieval rock/metal bands that got offed recently probably also qualify, like In Extremo and Subway to Sally. Then there's all those side-projects and other exceptions that got pruned following the recent change in our approach to including those. A good number of them must have been added during the very early years of the site. That being said, it's not that uncommon for questionable inclusions from that period to be re-evaluated, allegedly metal or otherwise. Not as bad as 2007/08, though. :ugh:

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:11 pm 

nails still shouldnt be on MA >:(

downtuned hardcore riffs =/= metal

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 pm 

Some other bands that fit within Az's list that stick out in my mind: Hank Williams III, Böhse Onkelz (technically didn't release their metal albums after MA started, but nobody had ever thought to listen to them and consider they were metal), No Zodiac, and HB.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:43 am 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
I also remember the Danish AOR band Fate being on here for a couple of years at least - contributed myself to the deletion of that one.

Further to 'Modes answer, Abrasax were added in early 2003 and not deleted until 2017.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:43 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Böhse Onkelz (technically didn't release their metal albums after MA started, but nobody had ever thought to listen to them and consider they were metal)

Man, did that raise a minor shitstorm with some users from the German-speaking countries. For a while the removal reports just kept coming in.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 am 

Azmodes wrote:
King's X could be a record, but the Austrian Uruk-Hai also lingered for quite a while. I think they were added around 2004 and deleted in 2013. Some of the German medieval rock/metal bands that got offed recently probably also qualify, like In Extremo and Subway to Sally. Then there's all those side-projects and other exceptions that got pruned following the recent change in our approach to including those. A good number of them must have been added during the very early years of the site. That being said, it's not that uncommon for questionable inclusions from that period to be re-evaluated, allegedly metal or otherwise. Not as bad as 2007/08, though. :ugh:

Would Nest have been accepted if submitted more recently? That's an exception that's always stood out to me for whatever reason.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 am 

Probably not, if only because of the fact that regular users are no longer allowed to submit them and we prefer to keep their selection to staffers only.

If they weren't listed and a mod were to bring them up... I don't know. I'm not really familiar with the band, though I do know that -personally- I'm against the whole non-metal exception thing (at least in the form of these obviously non-metal yet "metal-scene-orbiting" projects; there are more subtle cases where exclusion based on a technicality could be considered counter-intuitive and/or detrimental to the site's comprehensiveness, see the punk version of English Dogs or certain "proto-metal" fence-sitters, for example). Honestly, I would welcome it if we just deleted them all and rid ourselves of this constant source of misconceptions, confusion and tiresome arguing. :p

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 pm 

Another for Az' list: Devildriver took 4 years to become acceptable

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 am 

Gotta say though that Nest is some really top tier neofolk

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:37 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

The Symposium. I think it was shut down because a lot of people on MA think they're smarter than they really are. Most of the discussion there was navel-gazing and Nazi apologism.

Oh right. Well that sucks. I generally crave more interesting and intelligent conversations. I was on a Skeptics board for a while, but got fed up from the MRAs on there. They've been a real problem in atheist and skeptics communities in recent years. Like they went from "accept everyone who was rational or science-minded," to "except women. Icky." Then again, I've never been big on acceptance into groups. As in, I never really feel accepted, and then it seems like a hassle, so then I move on.

Sad that Dunning-Kruger effect took down the Symposium. Those conversations did well, back in the day, to challenge many of my badly formed preconceived notions.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:49 am 

Azmodes wrote:

TheGreatDuck wrote:

I always felt this site benefited from having more stuff than removing things under overly-strict and frequently argumentative definitions of genre definition. I recently discovered I had a whole bunch of Dry Kill Logic in my library (I don't know where it came from) and begrudgingly gave it a shot. Turns out, I enjoy a lot of their stuff, and much of it sounds very much in-line with MA's standards and guidelines. The amount that sounds blatantly Nu-Metaly seems to be a minority.

My impression, however, has long been that some things are kept off the site just to prevent certain rabble from finding their way here and joining up only to risk being problems for everyone else. I'd have left Rob Zombie on the site, for instance. This place does have among the strictest definitions for Metal and of what is acceptable on the site. I wouldn't have accepted Korn, but there were bands from that era associated with them that might have qualified. I'll note, however, that I have no skills at musicianship, so I cannot put Metal into those definitions. "This or that" equal "Metal."

I've been away for a while, is "mallcore" still used around here? That term felt a bit dated even years ago.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:21 pm 

Eh, we have the standards we do not because we want to prevent certain rabble from making their way here - that hasn't stopped the same folks from coming here regardless - but because it's what you have to do to maintain this as a metal encyclopedia and not an encyclopedia of all things music. It really doesn't take much for a site like this, where the subject matter is so subjective, to lose its purpose and function. Besides that, we do try to be straight-forward in the way we define metal - the metal riff - and what is metal enough - through albums that are predominantly metal. Like everyone else, we readily accept that the way we define metal isn't the only definition out there for it, and that others have entirely different views on what is and isn't metal. For what it's worth, the only reason our definition is at all relevant is because other people see it as a credible one... otherwise they wouldn't be using this site or relying on us as a useful reference. Our utility only exists as a result of other people finding the way we do things credible. And because we're right.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:05 am 

Looking at the members list, I can see a lot of the old OG users joined the site on the 23rd August 2002, 04:52. Is this a glitch or before creating the site did the admins publicise the site extensively before it was put up?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:01 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Looking at the members list, I can see a lot of the old OG users joined the site on the 23rd August 2002, 04:52. Is this a glitch or before creating the site did the admins publicise the site extensively before it was put up?

That's when the forum was added to the site. Or rather, when existing site users were imported into the forum's user database.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 pm 

I see, so the forum came later. Huh.

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 am 

Are threads concerning so called edgelords not welcome here ? I'm asking because my Amazing Atheist thread got locked and I don't quite understand why . Of course I realize that TAA is a bit of a controversial figure , yet it wasn't like the thread devolved into flaming or anything so I'm curious to find out if starting up threads about edgelords is not welcome here .

For the record I don't agree with TAA on any particular subject . I just find his older videos to be extremely funny to watch , which is why I started up the thread .

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 am 

Gene Chode wrote:
Are threads concerning so called edgelords not welcome here ? I'm asking because my Amazing Atheist thread got locked and I don't quite understand why . Of course I realize that TAA is a bit of a controversial figure , yet it wasn't like the thread devolved into flaming or anything so I'm curious to find out if starting up threads about edgelords is not welcome here .

For the record I don't agree with TAA on any particular subject . I just find his older videos to be extremely funny to watch , which is why I started up the thread .

A bit of a controversial figure - he defends rapists and apologizes for that kind of behavior. That doesn't seem like a terrible person to start a thread about?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next