Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:35 am 

When threads turn into dumpster fires, it's imperative that we close them and snuff them out.

Sometimes it is fairly obvious that a thread will develop into a dumpster fire, and so we'll preempt it by closing it. Suffice it to say, certain topics and issues tend to be red flags for that; religious, political, and social discussions can easily go that way, for instance. It's my own perspective, personally, that we don't aim to restrict what people wish to discuss. That said, we do aim to limit fighting, flame wars, trolling, and the array of shit that pervades other similar forums elsewhere on the Internet. A thread that serves no other reason than to rile people up, or to stir the pot (so to speak) really isn't in our best interests in maintaining. Other mods may certainly reply more frankly to you - stating things abruptly and perhaps harshly - but this is the underlying rationale behind why we moderate the way we do. When the purpose for creating a thread is to emphasize its chosen topic's "edginess", then it's not a productive topic and is instead just a dumpster waiting to be lit.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm 

Gene Chode wrote:

For the record I don't agree with TAA on any particular subject . I just find his older videos to be extremely funny to watch , which is why I started up the thread .

Bill Cosby also used to be funny.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:19 pm 

Gene Chode wrote:
Are threads concerning so called edgelords not welcome here ? I'm asking because my Amazing Atheist thread got locked and I don't quite understand why . Of course I realize that TAA is a bit of a controversial figure , yet it wasn't like the thread devolved into flaming or anything so I'm curious to find out if starting up threads about edgelords is not welcome here .

For the record I don't agree with TAA on any particular subject . I just find his older videos to be extremely funny to watch , which is why I started up the thread .

I can think of nothing good that can come out of threads about these asshole youtubers. I do admit, the thread went surprisingly OK until another edgy asshole started hardcore-fellating TAA, but regardless, I decided that I don't want to give any kind of signal-boosting to shitty, edgy youtubers on this site.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:19 am 

Ok thanks for the answers . I wasn't aware that TAA defended rapists by the way .

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:54 pm 

I'd inquire about the lack of a strikethrough button but since that falls under S&C I won't.

Instead I'll ask this: Is there any other BBCode with no buttons that works on this site?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm 

I've added the "s" button. I totally didn't realize it's not included.

In any case, other than the native BBCode, the only custom ones we have on the forum are for strike-through, spoilers, and YouTube videos.

EDIT: Hmm, you know, I might actually even add the buttons to the Quick Reply, too. I might dwell on that a little...

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm 

There's text colouring too as it turns out, though I can see why there's no button for this.

Also, neat idea. I don't use quick reply entirely because of the lack of those buttons.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:48 pm 

This makes me think of that guy who only wrote in lower case due to the "warm eye feel."

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:07 pm 

There was also a guy who only posted with orange text. It was fucking annoying, good thing that got snuffed out pretty quickly.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:09 pm 

I remember that guy too. Stupidest reason ever he had
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:36 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
I remember that guy too. Stupidest reason ever he had

I remember the orange text, but what was the reasoning?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 pm 

Iirc it was something he did since he got onto forums as a way for people to recognize him i.e. "That guy who uses orange text"? Because god knows trying to actually carve away a presence through discussion is sooooooo hard.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 pm 

a guy i used to talk with regularly always made the first letter of his post green. Thats how such things should be done imho.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 am 

sorries if that's not the place to ask... why was https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Mi ... f_The_Dead dursted? didn't go that far back in her history, but could not see a fault... just curious, as she added an album I recently edited.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:41 am 

Not really the place for this, but she was banned back in 2012 for ignoring multiple warnings about adding re-releases/incomplete upcoming albums, as well as fake albums, bootlegs, etc.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:45 am 

sorries, and thanks. would the PW thread have been the place to ask (similar things in the future)?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:29 am 

It's perhaps best to just ask in private, but let's not make it a regular practice. :)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am 

thanksies again :) it's not like I go on the lookout for Freddies, but sometimes one comes up and the reason for it is not obvious...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:48 am 

"Freddies". I like that.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 am 

I just got through reading most of this thread (and all of the MA Retrospective thread) and I'm SO thankful my dumbass escapades as Misainzig from the late 00s were only mentioned on one page between both threads.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 pm 

Do the band ID #s represent the order the bands were added to the archives in? It would make sense, since Amorphis was first.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm 

Not exactly, but close!

Band ID numbers represent the order the band pages were created, not necessarily the order that they were added. So if someone creates a band submission, it is given an ID number. It keeps that ID number even if it's submitted to the queue after months or years (!) of being in a user's drafts. And, if we approve it, it continues to keep the same ID number.

Likewise, if a band is rejected or deleted, the ID number it was given doesn't get used again. This is why there are gaps between ID numbers when you search bands (eg. why there is no "2" or "5")

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm 

And, if anybody is curious (and because I just saw this the other day), artist IDs work in the same way and the first one is Karl Sanders (followed by Dallas Toler-Wade and George Kollias, natch).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:18 am 

What's the deal with artery and other extremely active users not being granted "metal knight" rank?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:35 am 

That's a special rank and only given to exceptional users who've shown themselves to be thorough, trustworthy and knowledgable in the site's rules and workings. Simply being very active and having a lot of points doesn't suffice and, indeed, doesn't imply these traits.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 am 

There are bands that are added to the site despite having a huge nonmetal back catalog because they released a metal album. But I wonder has the opposite ever happened? Let's say if a metal band has released demos and EPs that are clearly metal, but all their albums are not metal at all. Do they get removed? Or do the demos and EPs count?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:22 am 

All you need is one indisputably metal release, so we won't delete bands retroactively if they switch to non metal, no matter how prominent. One notable example is Def Leppard, who started off as pretty clear NWOBHM and later became massive mainstream hits when they switched to poppy AOR. Another is Underoath, who have a metal debut and then a full prestigious career of post hardcore. And of course Pyogenesis, who made the insane jump from death/doom to pop punk.

I can't recall their name at the moment, but I know there's one band here who actually did accomplish your hypothetical, having one death or thrash metal demo and then a full decade or more career of alternative/grunge rock.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 am 

Random question: was theunrelentingattack a mod, or am I imagining things? When did he get de-modded if he was? I'm convinced I remember him being a mod.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 am 

Yes, he was. He was demodded a few months back, as per his own request.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Yes, he was. He was demodded a few months back, as per his own request.

Diamhea, theunrelentingattack and Alhadis (via mod warning) were the first mods I ever interacted with. Do I bring bad luck or something? :(
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 am 

Just out of simple curiosity, what the final straw that changed metal-archives stance on download only bands?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:33 am 

I don't think it was so much a final straw moment as it was coming to terms with the current age.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 pm 

Pretty much ^

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 pm 

PDS wrote:
There was also a guy who only posted with orange text. It was fucking annoying, good thing that got snuffed out pretty quickly.

How is posting in orange any more annoying than posting in white (yeah, I realize I'm responding to a post that's more than a year old)?
BastardHead wrote:
All you need is one indisputably metal release, so we won't delete bands retroactively if they switch to non metal, no matter how prominent. One notable example is Def Leppard, who started off as pretty clear NWOBHM and later became massive mainstream hits when they switched to poppy AOR. Another is Underoath, who have a metal debut and then a full prestigious career of post hardcore. And of course Pyogenesis, who made the insane jump from death/doom to pop punk.

I can't recall their name at the moment, but I know there's one band here who actually did accomplish your hypothetical, having one death or thrash metal demo and then a full decade or more career of alternative/grunge rock.

Does it make any difference if the band released a two-song single or demo where both songs are metal or if they put those two songs on an album?
Or a band having mostly non-metal albums with a metal track on each vs. a band recording one 100% metal album and then following it up with strictly non-metal releases?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Does it make any difference if the band released a two-song single or demo where both songs are metal or if they put those two songs on an album?
Or a band having mostly non-metal albums with a metal track on each vs. a band recording one 100% metal album and then following it up with strictly non-metal releases?

Well in the first scenario it can be a bit tricky. If they start off with a clearly, indisputably metal demo, then yeah they'll get added because that's what the site is for. If they switch to something totally not metal afterwards, then c'est la vie really. If a non-metal band records one or two random metal songs then that doesn't really amount to anything substantial, especially if it isn't a full album. For example, it wouldn't matter if Sum 41 released The Bitter End or Sugar Ray released New Direction as singles because they're random one-off metal songs in a discography well and full of established non-metal. Even if they had their own releases, they wouldn't be more than random one-off experiments that ultimately mean nothing. Now, maybe if they were the first songs they ever released and those singles/demos were valid, there may be a case to be made about them simply changing direction, but three or four albums in? Nah. And that's only assuming the yet-unseen hypothetical of those one-off metal songs having a valid standalone release.

As for the other scenario, what we ask for is a full, indisputably metal release. So let's say, hypothetically, we consider one or two tracks on each Avenged Sevenfold album or something to be metal songs, it wouldn't matter because they're scattered throughout a lengthy discography and not released as one unified metal album. And if they, again hypothetically, compiled all of those scattered metal songs and released them as a new standalone album, it'd be considered a compilation album and wouldn't pass the "original material" clause since even though yes, technically they are original since the band did write them, that's not how they were presented originally and it wouldn't pass. Believe me I asked about this loophole years ago. And as for the other one, that's been covered already. If a band has a fully metal, valid, original release, it wouldn't matter if they went non-metal afterwards, because they'd've already had their qualifying release. Again take a look at Pyogenesis, who went from death/doom to pop punk.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 am 

How come some mods have different color text in their name than others? Example, BastardHead is like an orangey kind of red, where say, Azmodes is completely bright red. And then Morrigan has almost a golden coloration. Do the different colors represent a different rank? Or are they just sort of a "users preference" type thing?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
How come some mods have different color text in their name than others? Example, BastardHead is like an orangey kind of red, where say, Azmodes is completely bright red. And then Morrigan has almost a golden coloration. Do the different colors represent a different rank? Or are they just sort of a "users preference" type thing?

At the bottom of the forum's main page within the "Who's online" box is the legend for that ;) They belong to different groups:
Administrators, gold
Forum enforcers, red
Global moderators, red
Site moderators, orange

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 am 

Oh check that out! Didn't even notice it, thanks!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46 pm 

Another dumb question: how do you turn a word/phrase into a hyperlink? Often times I'll see people post a link, but you literally just click an underlined word and it takes you to the mentioned review, or album, or youtube video, whatever the link may lead to.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:00 pm 

Basic HTML on the main site < a href="url">link text</a>

And [ URL=link]text [/url] on the forums

Visit the full editor an click on the URL button ;)

Last edited by PaganiusI on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next