Just without the spaces after the first bracket

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thank you kindly!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 pm 

So, I just noticed the option in PMs to export as a CSV and I'm curious why that function is there.

I'd guess it is for someone who wants to sort a massive amount of messages by username, date, subject etc? But then I wonder why you'd need to in the first place...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm 

I guess in case you wanted your own backup? It came with the forum software. You'd have to ask the guys behind phpBB3 for the rationale when it comes to stuff like this.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 pm 

It's an antiquated thing from the early 2000s when web hosting was, relatively, more expensive. Many forums would have a limit of 50-100 PMs, and the export option was there so users could download and back up their old PMs. I guess it's CSV since that format probably requires the least processing from the server to export the data from the database. The limit on the number of PMs was probably less about storage space and more about the server load of potentially indexing thousands of PMs for thousands of users regularly, and the potential for that to need to be queried dozens of times per day if users chatted via PM. I'm no database expert, but considering the copyrights on this version of phpBB are 2000-2007, it was definitely a factor back then.

The nature of sites that used a free forum software was probably also a factor. Mostly non-commercial, hobbyist stuff, often run by young people. Things like archives of old PMs didn't need to be stored on the server when users could download them if they needed them. Remember the days before GMail when webmail had storage limits you could easily reach?

It's strange to think, but there was a time when MA pruned old forum posts to clear server space.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:05 am 

Yep, I used to moderate a tropical fish hobbyist forum and there was a pretty small limit on PMs. I was constantly having to export them, purge the box, repeat.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm 

We are all able to see a users' submitted bands. Are moderators also able to see rejected bands that have been deleted from drafts since years? I have a few such bands, and actually the submissions were very stupid...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:38 pm 

We can't see your active drafts, but we can see deleted drafts... even if they were never submitted to the queue.

Rest assured, we don't judge or care how stupid they are. ;)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 pm 

Even if you did, they're from ages ago and I've definitely learned since. That's very strange that you can only see a draft once it's been deleted... does this link work for you? I've had it in my drafts since 2013, obviously never submitted.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Te ... 3540370302

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 pm 

Hmm, I should have rephrased that. We can see bands in a user's drafts if they're directly linked to us, like that one. However, there's no list I can go to, to see all your drafts at once.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 pm 

I know you still have a bit of time to plan, but has the staff come up with any ideas for celebrating the 10 year anniversary of O.C.'s open Abaddon report? Maybe the report can get a unique status instead of just 'assigned', kinda like what happened with christkiller's old account.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
I know you still have a bit of time to plan, but has the staff come up with any ideas for celebrating the 10 year anniversary of O.C.'s open Abaddon report? Maybe the report can get a unique status instead of just 'assigned', kinda like what happened with christkiller's old account.

What in all hells do you care how long it takes me to investigate stuff of my country scene? It's *none* of your business.

There, I deleted the report. Are you happy now?

My work in this place is not something that exists for you to make fun of. I'm not here to amuse you.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 pm 

Well, I doubt many continue investigating for such a long time without eventually getting distracted. To be honest, a report staying open and unforgotten for 6 years is not exactly a common sight, so for that reason comments were kind of inevitable. Personally, I wouldn't have been bothered at all by such comments nor would I have ever given such reactions... they don't help a lot, but they're totally harmless. Then again, we're all different... it seems you wanted as little attention as possible, which is also somewhat understandable. Additionally, could MCH's post have been a big compliment as well? It was definitely an acknowledgement of your work...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:32 pm 

I think he meant it in a positive/complimentary way, OP... :|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 pm 

Yeah, it was really just some gentle ribbing...there was nothing wrong with the report. The Abaddon report always being open was mainly just inside joke among those of us that work the report queue.

BastardHead wrote:

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:54 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I can't recall their name at the moment, but I know there's one band here who actually did accomplish your hypothetical, having one death or thrash metal demo and then a full decade or more career of alternative/grunge rock.

Shihad perhaps. Their debut full-length produced by Jaz Coleman is borderline as they went through industrial metal on their way to alternative rock.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am 

How many upvotes has Hades777 casted for similar bands? He appears everywhere...

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:18 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:
How many upvotes has Hades777 casted for similar bands? He appears everywhere...

Up and down combined: 30,784
Looks like that's pretty much all he does...or did

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 am 

That's a crazy number. I don't think I have ever seen him downvote anything. He definitely isn't as active as he was, but no doubt he has the record for the most votes.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:03 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
That's a crazy number. I don't think I have ever seen him downvote anything. He definitely isn't as active as he was, but no doubt he has the record for the most votes.

There are some downvotes of him, but yep, mostly up.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:55 pm 

Are those who choose to delete their account (in order to, well, save face after an incident) allowed to create a new one? Or are they to be treated as banned users? Thanks.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm 

They can create a new one if they change their mind, but if we see this is done in order to ban-evade or act as sock puppets, we'd ban the new accounts.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

Got it. Thanks, Morri.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 pm 

Bans are tied to people and the underlying behavior. Using multiple accounts deceitfully is pretty much an instant ban, but if someone comes back a while later and seems to have corrected their errors, we can be forgiving. Rarely will we be tricked, as those habits tend to be pretty transparent.

That being said, the proper channel is to ask to be unbanned - if you recognize what you did wrong and understand it, just ask us and if it is honest and in good faith, you will likely be unbanned.

...just don't post about politics or argue in site-work threads and you'll do well.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
...just don't post about politics

Pretty much what made me wonder... I thought deleting one's account would preclude a potential ban (and then what?), hence my question. ;) Clarified.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:41 pm 

may I ask what happened to mr sunlight? apparently he's no longer registered as a user. :(
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:53 pm 

He terminated his account.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:05 pm 

He achieved enlightenment and transcended his earthly shell into ~Guest 226319.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:02 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
PDS wrote:
There was also a guy who only posted with orange text. It was fucking annoying, good thing that got snuffed out pretty quickly.

How is posting in orange any more annoying than posting in white (yeah, I realize I'm responding to a post that's more than a year old)?

Responding late to an old question about an old post. I think intentionally going out of your way to change the color of your font in all your posts is pretty obnoxious.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm 

If I may ask, why is that some so-called "Freddies" have as many as six points? Isn't the purpose to erase all of them?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:10 am 

Examples?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:58 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
If I may ask, why is that some so-called "Freddies" have as many as six points? Isn't the purpose to erase all of them?

Actually we allow them to keep contributing as long as the only thing they do is update Fred Durst's artist page.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 am 

ah, I think I know what's up with those. Since banned users can still file reports (you don't need an account for that, after all), sometimes they receive a point for a helpful report. It's a slight glitch/oversight in the system, but it doesn't matter really. The points may increase, but the accounts are still blocked from editing the site as their rank doesn't change.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:57 pm 

Uhm, I don't think it's that. I closed a few mrmetalhead reports and wanted to give him a point and I think it gave me an error. He doesn't have points.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

hm, so I guess that got fixed. I got nothing then.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
ah, I think I know what's up with those. Since banned users can still file reports (you don't need an account for that, after all), sometimes they receive a point for a helpful report. It's a slight glitch/oversight in the system, but it doesn't matter really. The points may increase, but the accounts are still blocked from editing the site as their rank doesn't change.

I've seen that happening too. Maybe it got fixed at some point? Haven't stumbled upon such instances in a while.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm 

I counted 37 users on the site who have the Fred Durst rank and more than 0 points. Among all those users, KiwiPhoenix777 takes the cake. I don't know how many banned users there are, although I believe we have a lot more than 37, so it must just be a rare glitch that happened a few times.

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/KiwiPhoenix777

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:15 am 

Could be a remnant of the issue I described. That user was banned before v2/April 2011.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:07 pm 

Has it been long enough for us to ask what happened with Emptiness Cycle? His bizarrely intricate knowledge of obscure NS bands was always intriguing to me, and it's noticeably lacking now that he's been booted.

BastardHead wrote:

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm 

What accesses does a banned user retain? I know they can't modify any data but they can submit reports. Can they still modify their collections and profiles, or delete reviews they had previously submitted?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next