Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 653788
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:47 pm 

Does anyone else like the material he’s put out recently? I’m really liking his latest album and feel quite optimistic that there’s some sophisticated, quality pop out there for the kids to listen to.

I know it’s not metal, but in my old age I’m not precious about enjoying anything that catches my ear.

There could also be a Richard Brautigan reference in the tile of ‘Watermelon Sugar’ , which is interesting. For my money, that’s the best song on the record.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:09 pm 

I love the Harry Styles record... Honestly, I listen to a ton of non-metal so it's cool to see some love for pop music here too.

I did not love Harry's solo debut but I think 'Fine Line' is incredible, top to bottom. Really like what he's doing stylistically and visually with this album. I think my favorite track is "She" but, of the singles, I agree with you about "Watermelon Sugar".

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:40 pm 

I'm surprised to see Harry Styles being repped on this website, kudos to you for backing your tastes. My g/f is really into the new styles album, I can get on board with quite a wide variety of music including alot of pop music but I really dont care for his music at all, it just seems so watered down without the energy and hooks that comes with most pop music.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:41 pm 

Ha! I was surprised to see O/P started this as well - but I'm always down to talk about the non-metal I like too. I thought his first album was pretty watered down pop, but I really liked the new one.

I'm also listening to the new solo EP from Hayley Williams (the singer from Paramore), the new album from Drive-By Truckers, I love the Young M.A album when I'm in the mood for hip hop. Really stoked for the Greg Dulli (Afghan Whigs) solo album. So safe to say I'll go along with some non-metal threads from time to time!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 pm 

My girlfriend is a big One Direction fan and, as such, I've been exposed to everything the entire group has done. Harry Styles is pretty awesome, overall. He's clearly having fun with it all and manages to crank out some very worthwhile material in the process.

Reply to topic