Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:31 pm 

Reading through the opposite version of this, it almost seems like people here hate anything rock that's kind of popular. So what are the best rock bands that most people have probably heard a song or more from somewhere in public or on the radio?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:45 pm 

I'm biased in favor of Radiohead, because that's what I grew up on. But besides them, Nirvana and Alice in Chains are incredible. I always come back to In Utero and Dirt when I need some good rock, the 90's were the best decade for that.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm 

Pink Floyd is the best one and it's not even particularly close.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:16 pm 

Deep Purple is an all-time band for me. Same for The White Stripes. I haven't heard much of anything by either that I'd say is less than 'pretty good.'

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:28 pm 

Do King Crimson count? The Mars Volta? Those are probably my favorite rock bands. I also like Pink Floyd even though they have a ton of terrible stuff.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:51 pm 

If we're talking modern bands, I'd have to go with Cage the Elephant. Each album sees them progressing their sound, and the stellar songwriting has been there since the beginning.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:26 pm 

I'm biased toward '80s post-punk/indie rock and '90s grunge, industrial and alternative rock. So hence this list:

The Cure, The Cult, Echo and the Bunnymen, early U2 ('80s to early '90s), The Smiths, New Order, Depeche Mode, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Sugar, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Pixies, the Verve, the Stone Roses, Nine Inch Nails.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:32 pm 

I'll stick away from hall of fame classic rock bands.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club has never done a poor album in my opinion, and the s/t from 2001 is a great album from start to finish. Quite likely my favorite rock album of this century. Such a great amalgamation of several classic indie/alternative influences of the early and mid-80s. So much atmosphere and an effortless listen. It's not a short album, and I'm always sorry when it ends. I realize how cheesy their moniker is, but they play some great music.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:48 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:

Yeah, those are only "mainstream" anymore in that they are universally known as classics for mostly good reasons. They're not part of the zeitgeist anymore. I think this thread means stuff that's emerged in the last 20 years or so and is still popular and part of the zeitgeist today.

My entry is Coldplay. Granted, they've moved away from typical rock instrumentation quite a lot, but I always really liked their songwriting and instantly recognizable vocal section. Hearing Viva La Vida is also a massive nostalgia trip for me because a very popular Minecraft-themed parody of it was made and I was enamored with it and all songs like it when it first came out. Yes, I was a Minecraft shit kid of the early 2010s and that is partially why I like Coldplay.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:07 pm 

My favorite example is probably kind of cheating, since they became known in the underground for being a band that would become way more obscure than their fans thought they should be, given they had a few early singles on the charts, some high-profile opening act spots, and a slot at Woodstock. But King's X is really just untouchable, their first half dozen or so albums are all fantastic.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tool yet, but I'm a big fan of theirs and I know plenty of other people here are as well. Sevendust is a big one for me, Lajon is one of the best vocalists out there. A few others would include Santana, Genesis, Drain S.T.H., Jethro Tull, Vertical Horizon, Chicago, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Heart, Silversun Pickups, Jimi Hendrix, Little River Band, The Mission UK, UFO, dredg, David Bowie, Breaking Benjamin, Whitesnake, and Yes. I'd second The Cure.

I'd concur on King Crimson, and I guess technically they'd count, but they seem just on the cusp of being mainstream, at least in the US. I don't ever recall hearing something from them in a public setting, but maybe I'm just not remembering or there's a selection bias. Similar situation with someone like Camel. Part of it might be a regional issue. A band like All About Eve had some success in the UK, but I think are virtually unknown in the US, but they're another favorite of mine.

Some people are mentioning archived bands like Deep Purple, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden. They're great, but I guess I'm trying to see what people like that isn't on this site. Otherwise we could also name Thin Lizzy, Type O Negative, Rush, Ozzy, Scorpions and such.

Also curious are mentions of electronic groups that have some crossover into rock, like Depeche Mode. They're another favorite, but I don't really think of them as a rock band, though I guess if you do I suppose it opens up the floodgates to artists like CHVRCHES, PRVIS, Lights and others. Or even someone like Nine Inch Nails, where it kind of depends on the album.

I would have Alter Bridge (and Tremonti's solo material) up here as well, but for whatever reason they seem to have no fanbase on this forum whatsoever, so I'm not going to relitigate that from the other thread.

Edit:

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:

Yeah, those are only "mainstream" anymore in that they are universally known as classics for mostly good reasons. They're not part of the zeitgeist anymore. I think this thread means stuff that's emerged in the last 20 years or so and is still popular and part of the zeitgeist today.

I don't mind some discussion of classic rock. It'd be disappointing if it only centered on it, but rock music in general has hardly been part of the zeitgeist in the past couple decades, so it's really all kind of fair game. My own mentions above already stretch from the 60s to the 10s/20s.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:23 pm 

TOOL, I know they are divisive and some of their fans are annoying but they are the best, at least for me.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:10 pm 

Not really sure how the MA community is gonna react to this, but I've always been a huge fan of the Beatles, particularly with everything from Sgt. Peppers, the White Album, and Abbey Road. I also have a similar liking to Pink Floyd and Nirvana.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:26 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
TOOL, I know they are divisive and some of their fans are annoying but they are the best, at least for me.

They're definitely a metal band for me, which is why I didn't mention them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:44 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Not really sure how the MA community is gonna react to this, but I've always been a huge fan of the Beatles, particularly with everything from Sgt. Peppers, the White Album, and Abbey Road.

All time great band too. I don't trust people who have some active malice against them.

Throw in The Rolling Stones too. Tremendous!

Some others... Sleater-Kinney doesn't have any bad albums I heard. Great attitude and sense of melody.

St. Vincent, I haven't heard her first two, but everything else is about flawless or pretty close.

Radiohead's run from The Bends to Kid A or so was fucking amazing.

Muse from some of their earlier shit through The Revolution was really something.

The Cramps had a lot of killer stuff, and ZZ Top and Jimi Hendrix are just all around amazing times.

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:55 pm 

Some more good bands: The Sisters of Mercy, My Bloody Valentine, the Lemonheads, Hum. I found a liking to Incubus (not the death/thrash band) through the years though I hated them before. R.E.M. was a good band until the late '90s when I stopped listening to them for some reason. Red Hot Chili Peppers were also good for a time but they got annoying as they got older. Yeah, Tool is good too. They should be here in M-A if Rush, AIC and Soundgarden are all listed here.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Guns N' Roses. Or do they already fall into the classic rock category? I remember a time when the two biggest bands in the world were GNR and Metallica until the former imploded.

I used to be a fan of Rage Against the Machine in the early '90s when they first came out. That was until I saw them live. They sucked live.

Pink Floyd is another good one. I've always been amazed on how popular the band is even though they don't have an overplayed hit song on the radio (okay, they have 'The Wall' and that's it) and their music is way progressive for mainstream music tastes.

Funny thing with the Beatles is I had not listened to them purposely for the longest time. There was almost a resistance within me from listening to them. Must be because of how popular they are and I can hear them everywhere. I still don't have any of their albums except for a Greatest Hits CD.

As for the Stones, yeah I dig them. But I don't have much of their albums. I only have Steel Wheels and the 40 Licks compilation. I should listen to them more.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:04 am 

Guns N' Roses were a favourite of mine for years. I've not listened to them much in recent years, but that's probably due to overexposure. They were absolutely brilliant 80s rock perfection. Appetite is a monster of an album.

A few have said Pink Floyd, and I have to agree. Their first album is very unique, though most of the best Barret tracks are the singles that didn't appear on the album. Everything they did from between Wish You Were Here and The Wall is untouchable. I don't think Dark Side is the masterpiece everyone else seems to believe.

Genesis are another brilliant band. They went to crap very quickly after Gabriel left the band. That stretch from Foxtrot to Broadway is again incredible.

How did we get so far into this list without discussing Led Zeppelin? One of the key influences on metal as a whole? Simply the best rock band to ever exist.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:53 pm 

The Beatles music ranges from okay to good. But I dislike them, because they have a toxic fanbase. There are a bunch of normies, who hardly listen to music(and say “I listen to all kinds of music,” because they listen to butt rock, fake “gangsta” rap, bro country, and shitty pop), who insist that they’re the best band ever, and that they were super innovative.

Hard rock was jump started, by The Who, and The Rolling Stones, because they wanted to prove they were tougher than the Beatles, if they couldn’t make more money than them. Tony Iommi worshipped Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, along with Led Zeppelin. It was all of those bands, that actually sounded like more amplified blues, and created hard rock, not the Beatles. They had some sitar playing, so they did experiment a little, but it’s not like they created hard rock, metal, punk, or prog, as many of their fans like to claim. No one band “invents” a genre, but they are actually one of the less influential, although some indie bands did sound like them later.

Their fanbase are worse than most “metaloids.” In high school, there was some class discussion, on what the greatest music ever was. A bunch of people said the Beatles, I think I said that there were better bands back then, and that I liked Black Sabbath and Bolt Thrower better. People reacted, by accusing me of being a rapist, serial killer, Nazi, animal torturer, and future school shooter. They’re cultists. Years later, I was having a discussion, with a coworker, about musicians who do fucked up things, and who gets away with it, and I mentioned John Lennon beating his wife, and he told that that that couldn’t have happened, because “the Beatles music is about love.” This is insane, it’s like black metal edgelords, who write “total support,” in the Bandcamp comments!

It seems like, rather than getting people to check out new music, blind Beatles worship encourages people to not look into their influences, and just think they’re all there is. They’re good, but not that good. Nirvana sounded like them, but better. But, you know what’s the best Nirvana album? Fecal Matter’s demo! I encourage any Nirvana fan to check it out. You can find the whole thing on YouTube. Jimi Hendrix’s bands also are great, he knew how to write good songs, in addition to good lead guitar. Had he lived longer, he would’ve made a prog album, called valleys of Neptune. ZZ Top is always going to sound good, in any situation. That’s all I can think of, for mainstream rock bands that aren’t metal. There are probably some other good ones, I just haven’t heard them. If we’re going to go a little less mainstream, the more obscure Sub Pop grunge bands are good. Someone mentioned Sleater-Kinney, but I don’t know if they’re mainstream.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:09 am 

The Alice Cooper band is the best in my opinion. The first two albums weren't too good, granted (especially Pretties for You), but I'd put the run of Love It to Death, Killer, School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies up against anything. They ran out of steam a little with Muscle of Love, but it's still a great album. Not sure if the solo years then comes into the conversation here, but there's a lot of amazing material there as well.

Guns n' Roses have already been mentioned. Appetite for Destruction is possibly the greatest album ever. The Illusions are a bit bloated but are both generally strong releases (plus "Estranged" is my all time favourite song). Obviously with Chinese Democracy it's a completely different band, but quality and consistency wise I'd take it over either Illusion album.

Stuff that isn't 'classic'... from what I gather this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Nickelback are a great band. I recognise some of the lyrics are really shit, but that aside, I think they've got a lot of good songs with memorable hooks. I must admit that I'm a sucker for their ballads, and some of their heavier stuff is pretty cool as well.

blink-182 were initially a solid band, progressively getting better, then made the pinnacle of pop punk with Enema of the State, then went on to experiment and try some great new things on self-titled / Neighborhoods / Dogs Eating Dogs. They've gone off the boil a bit now that Tom left again though. The off shoot of this of course is Angels & Airwaves, who are just brilliant. Tom is an incredible songwriter.

Silverchair put out some pretty decent grunge stuff on the first two albums, but even on Freak Show I think they were starting to show they were capable of more than that. The next three albums Daniel Johns really pushed the boundaries with his songwriting and produced some incredible music. To make Neon Ballroom at age 19 and Diorama at 22 I think is really impressive. It's a shame that his physical and mental health has suffered so much because of his early exposure to fame, because he really was something back then.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:32 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Silverchair put out some pretty decent grunge stuff on the first two albums, but even on Freak Show I think they were starting to show they were capable of more than that. The next three albums Daniel Johns really pushed the boundaries with his songwriting and produced some incredible music. To make Neon Ballroom at age 19 and Diorama at 22 I think is really impressive. It's a shame that his physical and mental health has suffered so much because of his early exposure to fame, because he really was something back then.

Daniel Johns has really become a fuck up. He's probably Australia's highest profile rock star, at least here in Oz. Over the last few years he's had a number of DUI's, the last one culminating with a head on collision. Thankfully, everyone was ok, but this shit has to stop. He immediately checked himself to rehab after this, and the cynic in me suggests it's to minimise any sentence that he will face. He's previously been fined and disqualified for DUI, but the behaviour keeps repeating itself. It's such a shame, as he is/was such a talented musician.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 am 

^^ definitely agree with you there. At this point it's a case of if I wake up and read that he's died, it won't be a surprise at all.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:28 am 

Is Oingo Boingo mainstream? If so, then I choose them. Danny Elfman is one of the best frontmen of all time and their music is just so distinct and filled with emotion. It's extremely attention grabbing.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:40 am 

Since we're talking older bands so much, I'll throw Tubeway Army and early Gary Numan out there. The synth tones are so rich and powerful that they if you tweak the general idea of synths a little bit, Numan was writing heavy guitar riffs on synths. They're just heavy albums. Period. They're also futuristic and whatever else you can rightly apply to them from the alternative music world, but most synths aren't used like Numan used them.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:30 am 

I always liked Foo Fighters, particularly the Wasting Light album. Dave Grohl is an insanely talented individual and was easily the strongest part of Nirvana when they existed.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:57 pm 

Guns N Roses. Axl Rose might be a dick, Chinese Democracy might be ass, the new singles might be ass, and they're virtually a cover band now with 4 no-name members out of 7, but they'll always be one of my favourite bands and easily the first and most prominent one I grew up with. I'm seeing them this Friday and honestly, I'm excited but also nervous that Axl may come on stage 40 minutes late and blackout drunk.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:43 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I would have Alter Bridge (and Tremonti's solo material) up here as well, but for whatever reason they seem to have no fanbase on this forum whatsoever, so I'm not going to relitigate that from the other thread.

If you're searching for another fan, here I am. I usually don't frequent the forums so I'm quite surprised they aren't as well-received as I expected. Granted, they can be overhyped when (or in my country, if) they're talked about, but a good part of their praise is deserved in my opinion. Myles is amazing and every album has 3-4 gems I always return to (I still haven't listened to Walk the Sky tbh).

Recently I'm rediscovering a bit of The Killers and if you can stand the 80s-styled ultra-cheesiness they occasionally delivered fantastic songs out of nowhere. I'd put the Battle Born singles almost at the level of 'Mr. Brightside'.

Oh, and Sum 41 is one of the few bands from my teenage years which make me prouder and prouder to be a fan of, as years go by. Order in Decline was a surprisingly good album and 'Turning Away' has become my new favourite song by them since then.

(Less mainstream but related to the latest, I also was into Welsh indie rock band Feeder around their peak circa early 00s, and I couldn't be happier they're still around and making great music with this year's Torpedo. They always have a unique, nostalgic and dreamy feel in their music. Gonna have to give a chance to those middle albums as well...)

It's the dawn of descending...

Last edited by TheBurningOfSodom on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:49 am 

ZenoMarx wrote:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club has never done a poor album in my opinion, and the s/t from 2001 is a great album from start to finish. Quite likely my favorite rock album of this century. Such a great amalgamation of several classic indie/alternative influences of the early and mid-80s. So much atmosphere and an effortless listen. It's not a short album, and I'm always sorry when it ends. I realize how cheesy their moniker is, but they play some great music.

As soon as I read the OP I thought I would mention BRMC - terrific band.

Sonic Youth, the Jesus and Mary Chain, and the Raveonettes are also among my favourites. When I was younger I was obsessed with the Strokes and Interpol too.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:33 am 

DanielG06 wrote:
Guns N Roses. Axl Rose might be a dick, Chinese Democracy might be ass, the new singles might be ass, and they're virtually a cover band now with 4 no-name members out of 7, but they'll always be one of my favourite bands and easily the first and most prominent one I grew up with. I'm seeing them this Friday and honestly, I'm excited but also nervous that Axl may come on stage 40 minutes late and blackout drunk.

I wouldn't be nervous. I'm pretty sure they've been on stage on time for at least 95% of their shows since the reunion. And when was the last time (if ever) that Axl came on stage wasted?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:19 am 

IDLES is doing some great stuff. I hope they are around for a long time.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:56 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
DanielG06 wrote:

I wouldn't be nervous. I'm pretty sure they've been on stage on time for at least 95% of their shows since the reunion. And when was the last time (if ever) that Axl came on stage wasted?

Agree. This ain't the same GNR from the early '90s. I haven't read nor heard any reports that GNR was ever late or Axl appeared wasted onstage during their reunion tour. They're conducting themselves better now on their live shows.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:11 am 

Judas Maiden wrote:
Agree. This ain't the same GNR from the early '90s. I haven't read nor heard any reports that GNR was ever late or Axl appeared wasted onstage during their reunion tour. They're conducting themselves better now on their live shows.

Apparently they were 30 minutes late during their Sweden Rock Show this year.. and I believe it was mentioned that last time they were there, they were an hour late - dunno what year that was.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:40 am 

No love for Queen? It's them, Bowie and Pink Floyd for me and the rest aren't even close.

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:01 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
No love for Queen? It's them, Bowie and Pink Floyd for me and the rest aren't even close.

Those three, plus Kraftwerk and Black Sabbath, and you've got mine top 5 of any genre, for the 70s at least...

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 pm 

In_Zane wrote:
Judas Maiden wrote:

Apparently they were 30 minutes late during their Sweden Rock Show this year.. and I believe it was mentioned that last time they were there, they were an hour late - dunno what year that was.

I guess I spoke too soon. But a 30 minute delay is nothing compared to the 2 to 3 hour delay fans had to endure back during their peak back in the early '90s. I also saw an article on my Facebook newsfeed about Swedish fans not being pleased with the quality of Axl Rose's vocal performance. I saw part of the performance and it wasn't that bad. I have bootleg VHS tapes of early '90s GNR show and his voice wasn't that good back then either.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:20 pm 

I once heard an acquaintance of mine recently say that Axl's voice was like someone trying to sing karaoke of GnR songs.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Last edited by LongHairIsSoFuckingCool on Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

If you're searching for another fan, here I am. I usually don't frequent the forums so I'm quite surprised they aren't as well-received as I expected. Granted, they can be overhyped when (or in my country, if) they're talked about, but a good part of their praise is deserved in my opinion. Myles is amazing and every album has 3-4 gems I always return to (I still haven't listened to Walk the Sky tbh).

Ah, cool. Maybe there are three of us (I now recall another person from a thread a year or two ago).

Yeah, they're definitely worth mentioning as well. Probably should have had them on my first list. Van Halen too, for that matter.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:01 am 

milosh111 wrote:

Those three, plus Kraftwerk and Black Sabbath, and you've got mine top 5 of any genre, for the 70s at least...

If we're going by rock bands and not including bands on the archives I would definitely go for Queen, Bowie, Floyd, Porcupine Tree. Fifth place is harder.

I don't think bands like Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, Marissa Nadler and Dead Can Dance are necessarily rock or mainstream enough, and picking GNR on AFD alone or The Cure on Pornography and Disintegration alone when they've both got big discographies seems kinda disingenuous to me for some reason - as amazing as those albums are. I like a few Led Zep songs but no full albums, I dislike more Beatles output than I like. Hendrix live performances are great but I never want to listen to his studio output. I haven't really known any modern rock bands for the best part of 15 years, I did like MCR, Green Day, Evanscence and Muse during secondary school but I don't listen to them often these days besides occasional token nostalgia . I guess I'd go with GNR cause AFD is just so good. I could say Gillan but I feel strongly his solo output belongs on the archives (at least for Glory Road)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 am 

Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Period.

Spoiler: show
Performing absolute bangers in the 70's

Destroying Barcelona in 2002

Taking a sign for a request and teaching his band how to play it in front of tens of thousands of people in 2013

The best song of all time:

DEEP DEEP Cuts that never made it to an album, that would probably be other pops bands biggest hit of their careeer

Turning the saddest song ever written into an absolute epic in 1999

Write a whole-ass movie script in 5 minutes:

I could go on and on and on and on. Go see Bruce Springsteen on his next tour before it's too late.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:23 am 

It's been mentioned in this thread numerous times so I won't spend too much time taking about it, but I enjoy a lot of the legacy rock bands (Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Led Zeppelin are some that really stand out to me), and I also enjoy a lot of the 90's rock bands as well (Alice In Chains and Soundgarden especially).

If we're talking about more modern stuff, I've said it before but Volbeat are my guilty pleasure band. I know Poulsen's voice isn't for everyone and some of their songs can sound samey, but I can't help but enjoy the catchy hooks and infectious melodies that are in the vast majority of their songs. I also like how they tend to dabble in a lot of different music genres, ranging from metal, punk, rockabilly, psychobilly, hell even their pop rock songs are enjoyable to me.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:29 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
If we're talking about more modern stuff, I've said it before but Volbeat are my guilty pleasure band. I know Poulsen's voice isn't for everyone and some of their songs can sound samey, but I can't help but enjoy the catchy hooks and infectious melodies that are in the vast majority of their songs. I also like how they tend to dabble in a lot of different music genres, ranging from metal, punk, rockabilly, psychobilly, hell even their pop rock songs are enjoyable to me.

What's the best Volbeat album for someone new to the band?

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:48 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

What's the best Volbeat album for someone new to the band?

I'd check out their third album Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood, as it's a bit more accessible and has plenty of classics.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next