Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 am 

I figured I'd post in the thread for general advice. I'm looking to get the skull from Epicus Doomicus Metallicus done for Christmas OFFICIALLY this time, but where should I get it done? I thought on the right arm but I'm undecided.
Also artists in the bay area you might be able to recommend would be awesome.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

Gotta go with a face tat. You'll look like Bushman from the Moon Knight comics.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:52 pm 

Yeah I think placement is the absolute last thing you would want consultation from other people on. We would need to see your intended piece, with dimensions, and your full naked body with possible measurements. We have no idea where your current tattoos are!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:06 am 

So, got this done last week.

Spoiler: show

This is from an old PS2 game I used to (over)play as a kid called The Mark of Kri. In the game, the symbol is representative of an ancient evil spell that can draw on the horrors of the dark spirit world to enslave and destroy mankind. Realizing its potential for destruction, somebody in the game (they never say who) stole the spell and broke it into six different parts, branded on the bodies of six family lines forever, with the next of kin inheriting their mark from the one before them. Took 4 hours to do all in one go. Once it's fully healed, I intend to get the smoke surrounding it from the game's intro animatic put on there as well going up the rest of the bicep and around the symbol itself. (see below, but you can't really see the detail all that well).

Right now it's peeling (just had to clean a bunch of black stuff off my bed this morning), so hopefully it'll all be good in another week or two.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:27 am 

nice! i remember that game. that combat system was fucking tight.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:41 pm 

I loved that game as a kid, and I just rediscovered it recently and remembered how much I loved it, hence my choice to get that put on me. The fun part now will be trying to figure out what else I can get put on this arm style and topic-wise that'll fit the inevitable sleeve.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 pm 

I can finally afford to get another tattoo, and I've been going over ideas for a few days. Thinking about some kind of life/death motif, which will probably take one of two forms:

1: A skull with flowers and vegetation growing out of it
2. An old-style pocket watch, perhaps with bones for the hands. The "Life" half will be on top, featuring bright, colorful flowers and such, with the "death" side in black and white featuring a lonely grave or something.

Those are the ideas I'm toying with, but I'm definitely not set on anything yet.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am 

That pocket watch one sounds super cool, and I'd be curious to see if you went with that one. I have a half sleeve on my right arm comprised of music related images, and then a skeletal Elvis Presley on that same forearm (if I think about it I'll upload pictures).

Also, I was sent here because of another tattoo thread I saw that was closed due to "push". What the hell does that mean?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:37 am 

Oh...I got this last year in October. I'm gonna expand on it later this year. I'm thinking that classic image of the Hollin Gate of the Mines of Moria, except with the stuff in the center replaced with this tattoo, and the flanking trees from the original image replaced with line work images of cool trees I've come across. The main thing I'm unsure about is what I'd do with the script across the top of the doorway. I don't think I'd get it as it is in the book, but I don't know if I'd replace it with other text, with some more simple design, or leave it blank. Hmm.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 am 

Man I've become a huge fan of tattoos, many cool ideas here. I only have 3 tattoos, got them all this year.

This one was originally just to be the Fullmetal Alchemist's flamel logo, with the snake and the cross, but the tattooer (a friend of mine) had the idea to make it in a realistic style, for the same price, I was glad to have it.

This one is a combination of many things I love: Berserk, Star Wars, Chrono Trigger, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Pac-man.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a geek.

My other tattoo is music related, I have the Circa Survive's safe camp symbol. Don't have photos atm though.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:52 am 

That cross is pretty nice, dude! FMA rocks.

Not the best pic but that's my latest tattoo. It's a Roper, a classic D&D monster!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:36 am 

Cool for sure.

IntoNevermore, I was really skeptical about your second tattoo reading that description. Sounded like it was going to be a fuckin' mess to be honest, but man, that looks great! Really cool minimalist design that does a good job of tying all of those disparate things together into one cohesive style/piece.

Found a cool artist that will hopefully be down to work on my tattoo idea...hopefully the language barrier isn't a huge problem.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm 

That one is really cool too Metantoine! I would also love to have a D&D themed tattoo someday.

And thank you iambatman, yeah I gathered the most basic symbols from each theme and had the artist to make a collage with them. He did a great job. I'm thinking about expanding the tattoo with more symbols through my whole sleeve! Haha.

What idea do you have?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 pm 

I posted it several posts up:

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2803061#p2803061

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Oh :durr:
Sorry about it, I went to the first page with my phone and then just jumped to post. Hopefully you can get it done the way you want it! :-D

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm 

Alriiiight. After a while of run-around with another artist who didn't seem super stoked to work on this, I found a different artist who grew on me a lot and is really excited to do the work. Gonna get this done around the center character this Sunday. I couldn't really be happier with the sketch, which features lots of elements I really like woven together really nicely. At the heart of it is the sketch of the western doors to Moria, surrounding the character of "mu." The text at the top has been replaced with different Elvish text, which is the following lines, which always spoke to me most, from The Lord of the Rings:

"Roads go ever ever on,
Under cloud and under star.
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar."

Then, on the left, is the tree Jomon-sugi, which is a very ancient cedar tree at the heart of Yakushima island in Japan. Visiting this tree and this island was something of a spiritual experience to me. On the right is an unnamed tree from Gyerim Forest in Gyeongju, Korea, which is possibly the most magical place I've been to in my time on this peninsula, and also holds special meaning to me, which I'll delve into now, fuck it. So I went to Gyeongju, which is a pretty small city in Korea but is famed as the former capital of one of the major historical Korean kingdoms, so has a lot of old buildings and ruins and tombs and such in and around it that are beautiful and fascinating. I went there once and stumbled across this small forest full of ancient, twisted trees. It was like nothing else I'd ever seen before (or since) on this paved-over peninsula, and really felt like one of those passages where people entered the Old Forest or Fangorn or something like that, awestruck. Anyway, as I was wandering around in there, the thought crossed my mind that I had limited vacation time, and limited time generally in Korea, and that in the future it wasn't likely that I'd spend my valuable vacation time going back to a place where I'd already visited, so this wave of sadness washed over me that I'd probably never experience this wonderful place ever again in my life.

Well, a couple of days later (on the same trip, granted) I had just finished hiking up a mountain in the southern regions of Gyeongju, and since there's not much of a nightlife in that small city, instead of hiking back down to the bus stop and getting the last bus into town for the evening, I decided to hike the few miles back into town. It was a really nice walk, and I did get moderately lost but knew I just had to keep heading north and so did, and at one point I inadvertently found myself wandering into the southern reaches of Gyerim Forest. And man, was it ever joyful: I got to see it again, but all haunted at night, but more importantly it was like a hammer to this sadness of fleeting experiences, since you never really know where your life or your feet will take you. That's been something of an important experience for me, so I wanted a tree from that forest on me, too.

So, here it is, before actual inking:

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:59 pm 

Holy fuck dude, that's an awesome experience! And that you've found an artist that resonates with you and understands what you're after is the best feeling. You got me really interested into doing some research about that forest!

The design is super cool, need to see it when it's done!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm 

Aaaaaand done! Took about six hours total.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Aaaaaand done! Took about six hours total.

Duude! I love it! The details man!
It gives me such pleasure to see a well done tattoo, congradulations for that one bat :thumbsup:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:26 am 

Thanks man! I'm super happy with it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 am 

A couple new things this month.

First, the art from the first Emperor EP (8 hours):

Second, one of the numerous Spider Man symbols (less than an hour and a half):

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:01 pm 

My new tattoo. Inspired by a drawing in Cultes des Ghoules' Henbane. Featuring my beefy arm.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:32 pm 

I do not have a tattoo yet but I am planning to do one this summer as a gift to myself -wow much ego so full of himself-. I have some questions. First do I need to get buffed in my arms if I want an arm tattoo?

And second if I do it I might do something related to Bathory, my favourite band or from my favourite game the Halo franchise. What would you suggest? Bathory has been a really important part of my life and their songs have helped me to literally recover from serious self-esteem issues. Also I would like some symbol from Halo. Could I just write "117" somewhere or it would be too poser?

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:04 pm 

Toine you already know I love it! I've been wanting something almost exactly the same, sourced from the Sabbat "Sabbatical Possesstic Hammer" recording/t-shirt. It's shockingly similar.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Toine you already know I love it! I've been wanting something almost exactly the same, sourced from the Sabbat "Sabbatical Possesstic Hammer" recording/t-shirt. It's shockingly similar.

Except the goat doesn't get murdered! :) Thanks for the good words, Jon.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm 

The back image specifically where she's carrying a banner is the one I wanted. Couldn't find a quick google reference here at work.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:26 pm 

BUMP! Ink update time!

From most recent to the oldest one. All done since February!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 pm 

FINALLY finished my arm tattoo after a year and three months of it only being half done. Peep below. It's a cover up, so you can kinda see the old, shitty piece underneath, but it's not really noticeable at all in most lighting situations.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 am 

Subrick wrote:
FINALLY finished my arm tattoo after a year and three months of it only being half done. Peep below. It's a cover up, so you can kinda see the old, shitty piece underneath, but it's not really noticeable at all in most lighting situations.
That is some really sick art. Do not see any tat underneath, where would that be?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:01 pm 

It's under the big triangle directly beneath the main emblem going down into the shaded line designs underneath that. I can tell where it is since the piece was unfinished for so long and the shitty chicken scratch this covered up was poking through forever, but most people won't be able to tell unless you stare hard enough.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm 

I moved Subrick's tattoo picture to my old tattoo thread, I thought it was a good opportunity to revive it.

I got uhhhhhh 27 tattoos since my last post here and I'm approaching 40 now... I have an appointment soon for a stomach too, a bit stressed about it. It's a pirate ship with a kraken, gonna be dope. I'm also thinking of a knee tattoo. I did a sketch for it

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am 

My most recent tatoo(s). Jake from The Schoenberg Automaton did the work.

https://i.imgur.com/kgQhQQz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6rph6uQ.jpg

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am 

How do have photos show on here?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3