Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:09 pm 

Inspired by the BastardHead thread on the main board, use this space to talk about your favourite Non-Metal****** albums of the decade. I'm sure this thread will be a total mixed bag, and I don't expect to see many of the same albums mentioned more than maybe a couples times.

*****don't post Anathema or Ulver. While their albums aren't metal, I'm more interested in bands NOT on the archives. So go nuts and mention Slipknot or Tool or Converge if you'd like, even if you consider them metal.

Here are some of mine, in order of release:

The National - High Violet (2010)
Most people pick Boxer, but this is BY FAR my favourite record from The National. This album came out when I was on tour with my band at the time, and we played it almost every single day for a month in the van driving across Canada. Favourite songs: Afraid Of Everyone, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Conversation 16

Gaslight Anthem - American Slang (2010)
After The '59 Sound, just about anything was going to be a step down, but this album ON IT'S OWN is pretty damn great. They moved even further away from punk-rock and embraced their Springsteen/Petty inspirations. Favourite songs: American Slang, We Did It When We Were Young, Bring It On

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
READY FOR THE HATE. I love this album, I think it's near perfect. It might be just slightly too long to be considered a perfect album, but this was Kanye firing on all cylinders. I wish he had continued on this trajectory instead of where he is now. Favourite songs: Runaway (one of my favourite songs of all time), Power & Dark Fantasy

The Horrible Crowes - Elsie (2011)
Brian Fallon's first professional voyage into solo work. Much more mellow than his stuff with Gaslight Anthem. This album reminds me of one of the most conflicting times in my life (starting my new career at the time, getting engaged and buying my first home, but also my brother almost dying of cancer at a young age.) Favourite songs: Behold The Hurricane, Go Tell Everybody, Sugar

The Wooden Sky - Every Child A Daughter, Every Moon A Sun (2012)
Canadian Indie folk band. There are a lot of heartbreakers on this album, and some really fun jams. I feel like it's a pretty excellently balanced record, and the tracklisting is plotted out perfectly. Favourite songs: Take Me Out, Child Of The Valley & Dancing At My Window

Jason Isbell - Southeastern (2013)
This album damn-near killed me when it came out. Isbell's first record as a sober man, and his best. All these songs are pretty lyrically heavy and there are a lot of sad songs, by the time Super 8 comes along near the end it's like you're gasping for air. Favourite songs: Cover Me Up, Flying Over Water, New South Wales

Justin Rutledge - Valleyheart (2013)
Really smooth folk from Canada. This dude's voice is like velvet. Super tasteful use of all the instruments completely serving the songs. Favourite songs: Out Of The Woods, Amen America & Kapuskasing Coffee

The War On Drugs - Lost In the Dream (2013)
This basically became a Hipster holy grail, but man, these are great rock songs. I guess the production would split critics, but I really dig it. Favourite songs: Burning, An Ocean Between The Waves & Lost In The Dream

The Antlers - Familiars (2014)
This is a heart wrenching album. Their last record to date, and easily my favourite. Great production (the horns sound amazing) Peter Silberman's voice is haunting and beautiful at the same time. Favourite songs: Parade, Palace & Revisited

Andrew Combs - All These Dreams (2015)
This is what country music should be. It doesn't venture into the alt-country vibes of say, Drive-By Truckers, but it's not Top-40 country either. Favourite songs: Foolin', Long Gone Lately & all These Dreams

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (2016)
Possibly one of my favourite hip-hop albums of all time. This is alternative hip-hop at it's best. Few people could pull of a sprawling rap album like this. Favourite songs: Ain't It Funny, Tell Me What I Don't Know & Downward Spiral

Bon Iver - 22, A Million (2016)
This is still one of the most unique things i've heard. He's been imitated and ripped off a million times since, but I'm not sure anything sounded quite like this before it. Favourite songs: 22Over Soon, 29 #Strafford APTS, & 00000 Million

Brian Fallon - Painkillers (2016)
Nothing groundbreaking from Brian (if you like Gaslight Anthem, you'll like this.) I will also mention his 2nd solo album from 2018 "Sleepwalkers". They are both full of great no-frills rock songs. Favourite songs: A Wonderful Life, Nobody Wins & Long Drives

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guid To Earth (2016)
Holy hell, when this came out I don't think It left my turntable for 8 weeks. I was going to be totally fine with him kind of repeating his throwback/outlaw country from his previous record, but then he delivers this massive, eclectic thing instead. NEVER FORGET that he actually got nominated for a Grammy for Album of The Year for this. Favourite songs: Sea Stories, Keep It Between The Lines & Oh Sarah

Conor Oberst - Ruminations (2016)
Solo album from the main-man from Bright Eyes. This is like his "Springsteen Nebraska" record, as I believe they were all demos of songs that would eventually end up on his album Salutations. But these stark demo versions are the ones I appreciate more. Favourite songs: Tachycardia, Next Of Kin & Mamah Borthwick

Pusha T - DAYTONA (2018)
This is short enough to be considered an EP, but Pusha has considered it an album, and boy is it full of bangers. Considering the entire thing is less than a half hour, it's worth hearing as a solid piece, but my favourites are Hard Piano, Come Back Baby & What Would Meek Do

Pup - Morbid Stuff (2019)
Great Canadian punk rock record. The lyrics are very "mid-30's-white-guy" problem, but not without the humour that balances it out and makes it not lame. Favourite songs: Kids, Morbid Stuff & Closure

Other quick mentions:
Wildlife - On The Heart (2013)
White Lung - Deep Fantasy (2014) & Paradise (2016), both incredible compact explosive punk albums.
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away (2013), Skeleton Key (2016) & Ghosteen (2019). Considered by Nick to be a trilogy of albums. Each one is special and incredible in their own right.
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (2015)
YG - Still Brazy (2016)
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool (2016)
Craig Finn - We All Want The Same Things (2017)
Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory (2017)
Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger In The Alps (2018) - a little front loaded, but holds maybe the saddest song I've ever heard (Funeral)
Matthew Logan Vasquez - Does What He Wants (2018)

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:48 am 

I did mine alphabetically. Four tiers- first being top 15 (no order), second-fourth being awesome albums that slowly got weeded out until I only had 15. I use "/" to denote different albums by the same artist.

Top 15:

1) A$AP Rocky- LiveLoveA$AP
-Just brings back a lot of great memories of the time I was graduated from high school and not having a clue where I was going in life. Times that consisted of going to random parties, smoking large blunts, just being a general loser :lol: . This album is really good though, has a really good atmosphere to it, the lyrics aren’t the greatest but the vibe is what counts.

2) The Acacia Strain- Wormwood
-This album really hit hard when I first heard it. I don’t listen to it nearly as much now, but it meant a lot to me. Vincent is an amazing vocalist and writes some solid lyrics, some of them really made a huge impact on my view of certain societal problems. For it’s time it was incredibly heavy, and I’ll never forget just how front and center the band was in the hardcore scene when this album dropped.

3) Animals as Leaders- Weightless
-It was between this and The Joy of Motion for this spot so I went with this. I listened to this quite a bit when it came out. The Madness of Many and this album is Animals as Leaders at their most experimental. Lots of great parts that were pretty unique at the time. That thumping they do on “Earth’s Departure” is fucking incredible, truly one of the greatest progressive bands out right now.

4) Fences- Fences
-I was recommended this album by a friend when it came out, and it’s stuck with me ever since. It’s really peaceful, has some amazing lyricism, moving guitar parts. Just a great album.

5) Hello Meteor- Swift Dark Water
-Hello Meteor seems to be relatively unknown, which I find very bizzare. He’s released a shitton of music over the last few years and it’s all really good. He calls his style “dreamwave”, which is basically a cross between synthwave and ambient. I think this is my favorite album of his. Very relaxing, great music to study to or take a walk with.

6) Isaiah Rashad- The Sun’s Tirade
-Isaiah Rashad is way too unknown for the quality of rap he releases. The beats here are incredible, very laid back with a lot of thought put into them. Not nearly as woke as someone like Kendrick Lamar, but musically speaking I feel like he’s miles ahead. Both are great though :)

7) Kublai Khan- Nomad
-When I heard “The Hammer” as a single, I knew this album was going to be incredible, and it didn’t disappoint. The production on this is top notch, the lyrics are straightforward but carry a very good message. This has been my go-to for workout music ever since it dropped. Incredible beatdown hardcore.

8) Noisia- Split the Atom
-I first discovered this through a recommendation Tosin Abasi once gave through an interview, and I’m really glad he did. If you like both Dubstep and DNB then this is the perfect hybrid album. Really unparralled to anything I’ve heard, their songwriting is 10x better than the majority of the dubstep artists who typically use the same predictable song structures.

9) OFWGKTA- The OF Tape Vol.2
-Like LiveLoveA$AP, this album brings back a lot of memories of that same time period. In retrospect it’s a pretty average album, but my friends and I would play this constantly in the car for like a year straight. Pretty much got all the songs memorized. What’s crazy is that the song “oldies” really does feel like and oldie now. I have a feeling this could age like fine wine.

10) Periphery- Periphery
-I’m not much into periphery after their second album, but where they hit an out-of-the-park home run was with this release. One of the first djent albums to come out since Meshuggah introduced the style, but with Spencer Sotello on vocals it gives a very different vibe than a Meshuggah record. I love how his vocals contrast the sheer heaviness of some of the songs, giving them all an incredibly powerful punch. Generally this album grew on me. I wasn’t exactly into it compare to some of their demos when it released, but by like 2014 I was listening to this album constantly. Great music to study science courses to :lol:

11) Playboi Carti- Playboi Carti
-Playboi Carti proves that less is often more, and that the beat and the flow of the vocals is largely what can make a rap album amazing. I still play this album quite a bit. There’s not much to say here, you either get it or you don’t.

12) Polyphia- New Levels New Devils
-I wasn’t a huge fan of Polyphia, but then this album came out and my mind was blown. I like that they ditched the ultra-jazzy sound with distortion and just went for a straight forward math-rock album here. Some of the riffs are absolutely insane to listen to and even crazier to (attempt to) play.

13) Shlohmo- Shlomoshun Deluxe
-Shlohmo’s take on glitch is really well done. It’s very atmospheric, almost has a sort of dystopian vibe to it. Still haven’t heard an album quite like this.

14) Vildhjarta- Måsstaden
-Oh boy, Vildhjarta. Well, back in 2009 and 2010 ish when Dubstep was taking off I was kind of interested in it. It was a newish genre (at least in america), a lot of the song structures were repetitive, but hey- I hadn’t heard much like it, so it was still fresh and felt inventive. After going to see Excision at The Ogden (something that would never happen in a thousand years again, thank god I saw him when I did), something in me just felt like the new innovations in heavy music were probably going to be more in electronic and not metal. And, well- Vildhjarta proved me wrong. This album came out of left field for me, and I was incredibly impressed for years with it. The rhythms are incredibly well composed here, the mix of the dual vocals is awesome, and the guitar parts are downright fun. In all, it was monumentally forward thinking for its time. Sure- it may not be centered around “the riff” and has limited melodic interludes (lots of metalheads here probably wouldn't enjoy this), but generally it’s incredibly well composed.

15) Vildhjarta- Thousands of Evils
-….and what’s fucking crazy, is that Vildhjarta managed to up their inventiveness with this EP. The first time I heard this I wasn’t blown away- I was downright confused and didn’t understand what the fuck I was listening to. But the more times I went back, the more I realized just how goddam incredible this album is, and how Vildhjarta completely outdid themselves here. At this point, I never know what to expect from these guys. It’s been 7 years since this album, and they released a new track for a new album at the end of last year. Will it be as inventive? I wouldn’t think so, but I can never be sure.

Second Tier
Spoiler: show
$uicideboy$- Dark Side of the Clouds
Animals as Leaders- The Joy of Motion
Car Bomb- Meta
Chon- Homey
Chelsea Wolfe- Ἀποκάλυψις
Circa Survive- Blue Sky Noise
CocoRosie- Grey Oceans
Crystal Castles- (II)/(III)/Amnesty (I)
Fit for An Autopsy- The Great Collapse
Harm’s Way- Isolation
Hello Meteor- Mu & Mea
The Human Abstract- Digital Veil
Intervals- The Shape of Colour
Isaiah Rashad- Cilvia Demo
Kendrick Lamar- good kid, m.A.A.d city
Knocked Loose- Pop Culture
Mega Drive- 198XAD
Miami Nights 1984- Turbulence
Northlane- Alien
Slice the Cake- Odyssey to the West
Waka Flocka Flame- Flockaveli

Third Tier
A$AP Ferg- Trap Lord
A$AP Mob- Lord$ Never Worry
Bonobo- Black Sands
Carpenter Brut- EP III
Cdot Honcho- H3 / Takeover
Chelsea Grin- Desolation of Eden
Cloudkicker- Beacons
DaBaby- Baby on Baby
Dealer- Soul Burn
Deftones- Diamond Eyes / Koi No Yokan / Gore
Denzel Curry- ZUU
Harm’s Way- Posthuman
Hello Meteor- Weather Patterns
Hodgy Beats- EP 2012
Kendrick Lamar- DAMN. / To Pimp a Butterfly
Knocked Loose- Laugh Tracks / Pop Culture
Kublai Khan TX- Absolute
Lil Xan- Xanarchy EP
M.I.A.- Matangi
Nora En Pure- Homebound
OFWGKTA- Radical
Perturbator- The Uncanny Valley
Playboi Carti- Die Lit
Robert Rich- Perpetual: A Somnium Continuum
Sheck Wes- Mudboy
Shlohmo- Bad Vibes / No More
Spite- Nothing Is Beautiful
Tool- Fear Inoculum
Travi$ Scott- Days Before Rodeo
Tyler, The Creator- Bastard / Goblin / Wolf
Varials- Pain Again / Failure//Control
Vein- Errorzone
Volumes- VIA
Zac Brown Band- Uncaged

Fourth Tier
$uicideboy$- I Want to Die in New Orleans / Grey Sheep II / My Liver Will Handle What My Heart Can't
The 1975- I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it
6ix9ine- DAY69
A$AP Mob- Cozy Tapes Vol. 1: Friends
The Acacia Strain- Coma Witch / It Comes in Waves
Action Bronson- Dr. Lecter
Alfa Mist- Antiphon
Animals as Leaders- The Madness of Many
Architects- All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us / Holy Hell
As The Sky Darkens- Freedom
Azealia Banks- Broke With Expensive Taste
Baauer- Aa
BAHWEE-FLAVORS
Bassnectar- Into the Sun
Beats Antique- Blind Threshold
Billie Eilish- When we all fall asleep, where do we go?
Blistered- The Poison of Self Confinement
Bobby Shmurda- Shmurda She Wrote
Born of Osiris- The Discovery
The Browning- Burn This World
Carbon Based Lifeforms- Derelicts / Interloper
The Chariot- One Wing
Chelsea Wolfe- Pain is Beauty / Abyss
Chief Keef- Sorry 4 The Weight
CHVRCHES- The Bones Of What You Believe
Code Orange Kids- Love Is Love // Return To Dust
Connect.Ohm- [9980]
The Contortionist- Exoplanet / Language / Our Bones
Cosmic Sound Child- Cosmic EP
Danny Brown- XXX
Death Grips- Jenny Death
Domo Genesis & The Alchemist- No Idols
Earl Sweatshirt- Earl / Doris
Emmure- Look at Yourself
Enterprise Earth- Embodiment
Filmmaker- The Love Market
First Blood- Silence Is Betrayal
Fit for An Autopsy- Hellbound
Flatbush Zombies- D.R.U.G.S
Ghostemane- Plagues / Hexada / N/O/I/S/E
Grimes- Visions
Hello Meteor- Pantropic / At Intervals
Humanity's Last Breath- Detestor
Incendiary- Thousand Mile Stare
Injury Reserve- Floss
JPEGMAFIA- Veteran
Kari Faux- Laugh Now, Die Later
Kublai Khan TX- Balancing Survival & Happiness / New Strength
Lana del Rey- NFR!: Norman Fucking Rockwell
Ludacris- 1.21 Gigawatts: Back to The First Time
Maps & Atlases- Perch Patchwork
Mega Drive- 198XAD
Mestis- Basal Ganglia
MGMT- Congratulations
Miami Nights 1984- Early Summer
Mnemic- Sons Of The System
Nils Frahm- Felt
Oceano- Depths
Oliver Tree- Do You Feel Me?
Oneohtrix Point Never- Replica
Periphery- Periphery II: This Time It’s Personal
Perturbator- Dangerous Days
Plini- Handmade Cities
Ratatat- Magnifique
Reflections- Exi(s)t
Run The Jewels- Run The Jewels 2 / Run the Jewels 3
The Safety Fire- Grind the Ocean
Schoolboy Q- Oxymoron
Seeyouspacecowboy- Songs For The Firing Squad
Shigeto- No Better Time Than Now
Shlohmo- Beat CD '09
Structures- All of The Above
Thangorodrim- Taur-nu-Fuin
Today I Caught The Plague- Lore
Varials- In Darkness
The Weeknd- Echoes of Silence
Yelawolf- Trunk Muzik 0-60

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 am 

My vote for both best non-archived albums of the decade and band of the decade go to Swans. The Seer, To Be Kind and The Glowing Man are some of the best albums ever recorded.

My favourite band also released two of their best albums this past decade. Animalia Lotsatuen Putzua and Eta Edertasunaren Lorratzetan Biluztu Ginen by Lisabö. Check them if you like noise rock/post hardcore/post metal.

https://bidehuts.bandcamp.com/album/ani ... uen-putzua

https://bidehuts.bandcamp.com/album/eta ... uztu-ginen

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 am 

Miranda Lambert - The Weight of These Wings
This is one of my top ten favourite albums of any genre. Remarkably consistent double album (24 tracks, at least 21 are winners), I find it a little more sparse and stripped down than her usual stuff, which I think works really well.

Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park
Took me a few listens to get into this, but once it clicked, it clicked big time. Smart, catchy songwriting throughout.

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
Deserved grammy winner. A cool, unique spin on country.

Tori Amos - Native Invader
Her best album since 2005 (huge fan of The Beekeeper here). I'm still blown away by how just how sublime her songwriting is.

Tori Amos - Unrepentant Geraldines
Not quite as good as the above, but it's Tori, so of course it's top notch.

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane
Amazing bluegrass album full of incredible vocals and instrumentation. Also the most flawless live act I've ever seen.

Deftones - Diamond Eyes
They've been on a winning run for a while now, but this is the album I always come back to. I think this will be very hard for them to ever top.

Angels & Airwaves - The Dream Walker
The more I listen to this, the more I think it might be their consistent (and possibly best) album. Doesn't have the minor dips their other albums have - just smooth sailing throughout. I love the dreamy, spacey vibe this band has.

blink-182 - Neighborhoods
I find this gets a bit of a mixed rep, but for my money, their second best after Enema of the State. I just find it ridiculously catchy and memorable. I regret not seeing them when they toured this, especially now that Tom has left.

Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare
An eclectic, enjoyable album that covers many facets of the Alice Cooper sound, and a welcome return to form after Along Came a Spider. Still remember Amazon accidentally putting this up a few months early and snagging it before they took it down.

The Offspring - Days Go By
Some experimental songs bookended by some trademark Offspring style anthems. At least as good as Smash and Conspiracy of One. "All I Have Left Is You" is one of their best ever songs.

Less Than Jake - See the Light
Catchy, upbeat ska punk that's got a lot of mileage from me. Never fails to put me in a good mood. "Good Enough" is one of the best openers I've ever heard.

Maria Mena - Growing Pains
Lovely on the ears, but more devastating lyrically (I'd imagine this would be a useful 'break up' album).

Nickelback - Feed the Machine
Seen as a bit of a joke, but I'm a fan, and this is their best since Silver Side Up in 2001. I'm a sucker for their radio friendly stuff - which is great as usual - but this has some of their best heavy (relatively speaking) material.

Kid Rock - Born Free
Again, not a favourite for many, but Kid is the reason I got into music about 20 years ago, so I always check out his stuff. This is a solid, country flavoured rock album and it's easy to just throw on and listen to front to back.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:21 am 

Seeing Kid Rock on here made me a bit nostalgic. I bought the Devil Without A Cause CD in 1998 just as I was getting into heavy music and I played the shit out of that thing with a group of friends over the next two summers. I never listened to anything he did after History of Rock, but I acknowledge that nostalgia.

Reid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm 

To me, the non-archive/metal band of the decade has to be Swans. I’m a huge fan of the five albums they’ve put out over the last ten years, with The Seer and The Glowing Man bring my personal favorites. Incredible live shows, too, and overall one of the best and most essential reunions/comebacks in music history IMO.

While I’m on the post-rock track, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the reunion material by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Like Swans, they put on a killer live show, and their new albums stand toe-to-toe with their classic material. I don’t think the album got as much love as the couple that came before it, but 2017’s Luciferian Towers is easily my favorite of the new albums, and honestly might be up there with Lift Yr Skinny Fists... and the Slow Riot EP.

The albums Deftones put out at the start of the decade (2010’s Diamond Eyes and 2012’s Koi No Yokan) are super solid slabs of alt-metal/rock/shoegaze/prog, especially KNY.

While it definitely isn’t my favorite album of theirs, the new Tool album released last year was a bit better than I thought it’d be.

Outside of the rock sphere, I can attest to the overwhelming praise that Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly received. While it’s not something I listen to a lot, whenever I do I’m just awe-struck by how sprawling and expansive it is, and how well the jazz/spoken word elements are integrated into the overall sound. Definitely a release that deservedly will reach classic status.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:35 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
The Offspring - Days Go By
Some experimental songs bookended by some trademark Offspring style anthems. At least as good as Smash and Conspiracy of One. "All I Have Left Is You" is one of their best ever songs.

The Offspring has always been an inconsistent band but the level of quality between the good and bad songs on this one is fuckin' unreal. I haven't listened to the full album in years but the final couplet of Dividing by Zero and Slim Pickens... are like temporally displaced songs from the Smash era. That last one is genuinely my all time favorite song from them. My memory tells me that the first handful of tracks are good too but I remember them sounding more like Rise Against than The Offspring. That middle stretch though? Holy shit that is the absolute worst version of The Offspring that ever existed. The only song between the first and last few that's even kind of okay is Dirty Magic, and even then it's a rerecording of an old song, and even then it's probably my least favorite on Ignition. I might've been able to forgive it (because I have similar issues with Splinter but overall still like it) if it wasn't for Bumpin' in My Trunk. That is far and away the worst song they ever wrote and its shittiness is so incomprehensible that it sours the entire album.

Anyway the correct answer for this thread is Foxy Shazam's self titled from 2010. Almost nobody bothers trying to sound like Queen, even fewer pull it off, and even fewer than that wind up being any good. Both the s/t and The Church of Rock and Roll are phenomenal albums but that self titled is like once in a generation perfection, there isn't one single second of it that isn't perfect. If I had expanded the Top 50 I did on my blog to encompass every genre instead of just metal it would've been the #1 of the decade without a second thought. Killin' It is quite possibly my favorite song of all time.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 pm 

Minecraft Volume Alpha - C418 (2011)

If I could write a review for this album on MA, it and C418's second album of Minecraft stuff would be the only ones I'd ever give 100 to. Everything about it is perfect. Somber minimalistic synth melodies, emotional piano pieces, all memorable, and of course you can't help but get nostalgic about the first time you ever played Minecraft when you listen to it. Even if you haven't played Minecraft or don't like Minecraft, the music is absolutely a must-listen. Daniel Rosenfeld does not, in my opinion, have a single bad album - even the compilations of unfinished material - but this one is far and away his best. A style of his own, you couldn't make this album better if you wanted to. Every replay sounds just as fresh as the first. One of the most beautiful works of art I've ever heard.

Highlights: Sweden, Subwoofer Lullaby, Minecraft, Living Mice

Minecraft Volume Beta - C418 (2013)

Just as good as Volume Alpha. Great for all the reasons that that album is great. More diverse, too, adding percussion and really nice music to fit the alternate dimensions of Minecraft - dark and melodic ambient for the Nether, a 15-minute long epic of eerie noises for the End. Plus, it's got the music from Minecraft's in-game records, which sound more like C418's work outside of Minecraft. The creative mode songs are the highlights - "Taswell" was the first piece of Minecraft music I ever heard, and it still makes me super nostalgic ever time I hear it.

Highlights: Blind Spots, Alpha, Taswell, Warmth

Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites - Skrillex (2010)

Don't laugh, please - I actually like dubstep, and this is Sonny Moore's best work before he went all trap/hip-hop/house. There's no mistaking the growling bass synthesizers, the melodic stabs, the vocal samples ("IT'S... OH MY GOD!!")... I'm still waiting for someone to fuse heavy metal with old Skrillex-style dubstep (Korn's Path of Totality doesn't count).

Highlights: Scatta, Kill Everybody, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, Rock N Roll

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal soundtracks - Mick Gordon (2016 & 2020)

He did the impossible: made djent into a listenable genre by adding dark ambient synths, a unique bass synth sound, and tons of other nuances. 2016 was a great game with a great soundtrack. Eternal, even though it's a pretty shit game, has just as awesome of a soundtrack.

Highlights: Rip & Tear, Vega Core, Super Gore Nest, The Only Thing They Fear Is You, Mastermind, Flesh & Metal, Meat Hook

Breathe - Laura Brehm (2017)

She's an EDM session vocalist for the most part (you know, the dreaded "feat. artistname" that you see on electronic songs); this is her third release of solo material, I think. Great atmospheric alt-folk singer-songwriter stuff with ambient electronics and one of the clearest and most beautiful voices I've ever heard. The lyrics get pretty corny but the sound is amazing.

Highlights: Breathe, Parallel

When we all fall asleep, Where do we go - Billie Eilish (2019)

The popular music world really needed something like this on the charts. Unique and minimalistic, not over-layered, over-processed and cookie-cutter like all the other stuff in modern pop. When she sings, she sounds like she's just rolled out of bed, is still half-asleep, and no amount of caffeine will ever wake her up. It makes you want to shut your eyes too and drift off into a world where no one's ever happy. Great lyrics, too. Relatable and dark, not flowery and "I-can't-live-without-you" like everything else.

Highlights: Bury A Friend, Xanny, I Love You, When The Party's Over

Ghost Notes - Veruca Salt (2015)

Reunion album from a one-hit wonder female-fronted 90s alt-rock band. Still as fresh as they were back in the day. The drum sound is one of the best I've ever heard. Nina Gordon and Louise Post's voices are still powerful even though they're in their mid-40s on the record. Solid & catchy tunes throughout. Great dynamic range.

Highlights: Prince of Wales, Love You Less, The Gospel According to Saint Me, Empty Bottle
jimbies wrote:
Jason Isbell - Southeastern (2013)
This album damn-near killed me when it came out. Isbell's first record as a sober man, and his best. All these songs are pretty lyrically heavy and there are a lot of sad songs, by the time Super 8 comes along near the end it's like you're gasping for air. Favourite songs: Cover Me Up, Flying Over Water, New South Wales

YES. Nobody does depressing singer-songwriter stuff like he does. I learned how to sing and play "Cover Me Up" and "Elephant" some time ago... still hard to do without breaking down. Take notes, In Flames. I saw him live a couple years ago in Asheville and he played a lot of songs from that album. Fantastic live performer. In the middle of "Cover Me Up" he told the audience to put away their phones and enjoy the music.
lordcatfish wrote:
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
Deserved grammy winner. A cool, unique spin on country.

That was a good one. The music was nice and atmospheric, and her voice was... cute... just like always. Lyrics were full of corn, though. "High Horse" and "Butterflies" were particularly bad. Oof.

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:05 am 

Wax Chattels - Wax Chattels (2018). Easily my favourite non-metal album of the 2010s. Trio of bass guitar, synths and a minimal drum kit. All the energy and tension of metal or punk while being neither, though they have used the post-punk tag. Hard to describe, but a reference point would be angular punk such as Nomeansno. I'll link my favourite track, In My Mouth.

Laurie Anderson - Homeland (2010). One of her best albums.

Bonecruncher - Bonecruncher (2015). Sort of party crust punk I guess, or not far removed from crossover thrash. Can't lose with some songs about pro-wrestling.

Sticky Filth - Fourth Domain (2011). Effectively a quality comeback album from a long-running New Zealand punk/hardcore band, as their 2005 album was recorded in the 90s. For fans of Motörhead and Cosmic Psychos in particular.

Yugen Blakrok - Anima Mysterium (2019). If I rewind back a few years, I'd never even heard any female rappers I liked. After much effort, I found a few 90s ones I liked, but it's unusual for me to like newer hip-hop. So Yugen Blakrok is a special exception.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:35 am 

So many great albums on everyone's lists, it would take far too long to even mention them all, though a few are on mine. Ok, this is going to be long, so pour yourself a coffee or lager or something. I've divided it up into "metal" that doesn't meet our criteria here, electronic music, and everything else.

"Metal"

All Ends - A Road To Depression - 2010

Alternative metal/hard rock

Some of the best lead vocals and harmonies in music from Tinna Karlsdotter and Jonna Sailon over a more proper rock version of the In Flames sound, in no coincidence because Bjorn and Jesper co-wrote some of the music. A more varied outing than their debut, this has more 80s and electronic influences, a pure piano/vocal ballad, and much more.

Alter Bridge - Fortress - 2013

Alternative metal/hard rock

Easily one of the best mainstream rock bands of the past decade or two, which is a remarkable and discombobulating feat given that 3/4 of them are also part of the consensus worst rock bands of this century. C'est la vie. This album ratchets up the heaviness even more than their previous albums and seamlessly melds Kennedy's soaring vocals with Tremonti's thunderous riffing.

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion - 2014

Progressive metal/djent/jazz-fusion

As may be somewhat famous, they actually were on the archives at one point but were removed. I consider that a mistake, but hey, it's not my site. This is a pinnacle of the complete development of instrumental technicality with musicality, where incredibly advanced technique is in service of enthralling experiments in rhythm and harmony, with esoteric ambient passages leading into fireworks of virtuosic grandeur.

Destiny Potato - LUN - 2014

Progressive/alternative metal/djent

David Maxim Micic is one of the most creative musicians and guitarists to come out of the djent/prog scene, and this highlights how intriguing that sound can be in the context of great songwriting. Aleksandra Djelmas is also a phenomenal vocalist and perfect collaboration partner to give voice to David's ideas, from the intense and melodic to the wacky and outre.

Engel - Threnody - 2010

Industrial melodic death metal

It didn't work out very well, but In Flames had the right idea in recruiting Niclas Engelin, because he had already showed the template for a more modern In Flames sound. He really has a knack for synthesizing together influences from industrial and groove metal for a more melodic version of the cyber Fear Factory sound. A super heavy guitar tone, riffs galore, and more current vocals that are catchy and enjoyable, unlike someone else who will go unnamed. Am I still bitter? You bet.

David Maxim Micic - Who Bit the Moon - 2017

Progressive metal/post-metal/djent/ambient

David's solo project, this one really runs the gamut. Mostly instrumental, lots of tasty guitar work, countless memorable melodies, quite cinematic in many places, and very nostalgic feeling. He really has a sense for atmosphere and space in music.

Plini - Handmade Cities - 2017

Progressive rock/metal/djent/jazz-fusion

Probably the most melodicly gifted instrumental guitarist since Joe Satriani, maybe even surpassing him. He has an astounding grasp of harmony and rhythmic variation that makes his playing endlessly enthralling, just the right amount of flash to add some verve in the right moments, and the most tasteful and fluid use of the whammy bar I've ever heard.

Sevendust - Black Out the Sun - 2013

Alternative/groove metal

One of the most consistent mainstream metal bands, they haven't lost a step over the years. Lajon possesses one of the richest, most powerful voices out there, Connolly and Rose's backing vocal harmonies and attack keep things fresh, the guitars are crushing, and Morgan's drumming is explosive and invigorating.

Tremonti - Dust - 2016

Alternative metal

Who ever thought that a guy from Creed would become one of the great guitarists and songwriters of our time? But here we are. After taking guitar lessons from Michael Angelo Batio you would think he'd have become a Malmsteen-esque shredder on a Shrapnel-legacy label, but instead he's managed to combine the worlds with a powerful alternative metal/rock (quite thrashy even on some tracks) solo career, and as it turns out he has a fantastic baritone singing voice that he puts to full use here, with a perfect dose of guitar pyrotechnics when needed.

Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun - 2017

Doom/sludge metal/gothic rock/ethereal wave

She has become a master of crafting rapturous, ethereal textures, and here she blends the spookiness of her early folkier work with a very intense, sludgy, doomy approach. Her voice is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard, and the frailty of it contrasting the dense maelstrom underneath is intoxicating.

Electronic

And One - S.T.O.P. - 2012

Synthpop

Depeche Mode's sound has been oft-imitated, but rarely with more quality and originality than these guys. Steve Naghavi has a sonorous and melodious voice, the songs are killer, and they have quite an arsenal of synthetic textures to enrich their compositions.

Andain - You Once Told Me - 2012

Synthpop

Elegant and exquisite pieces, intricately woven and so refreshing to chill with thanks to the hypnotic vocals of Mavie Marcos.

The Birthday Massacre - Hide and Seek - 2010

Industrial rock/synthpop/gothic rock

Quite an organic and original mixture of these genres, seamlessly amalgated into a very hooky concoction of delights. Twinkly, sparkling synths add panache to chorus-saturated guitar lines. Also another example of picking a particular album being difficult, because they have maintain a quite similar aesthetic and level of quality over their career, which is wholly specific to them.

Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe - 2013

Synthpop/electropop

Multilayered instrumentation with fertile arrangements and luxurious timbres, this album is such a pleasant listening experience. It was also the first entry into unlocking this version of the modern scene, which takes some of the 80s songcraft and gives it new life with more contemporary tonal palletes.

Disasterpeace - It Follows - 2015

Horror synth/film score

One of my favorite films of the past decade, and this score is a substantial part of why. A manifold of sophisticated sketches that range from enigmatic to petrifying, enhancing the film, but standing on their own as indispensable works.

Kate Havnevik - You - 2011

Electronic art pop

Her first album was a succulent merging of the spirit of Bjork and Imogen Heap, two of my favorite artists. This album is more streamlined, but still filled with splendid and imaginative soundscapes.

Lights - Little Machines - 2014

Electropop/synthpop

Song after song that I find myself playing endlessly. Her voice increasingly conveys a sense of lost innocence, but she crafts intricate slices of irresistible splendor.

Mega Drive - Seas of Infinity - 2017

Darksynth

I've selected this album, but I don't know if it's the right one. Even more so than other genres, the songs I cherish most are dispersed across various albums and picking a particular collection of them feels a little arbitrary. This whole musical niche has been one of my favorite musical movements of the past decade. It's evocative of elements of my childhood, but through a nocturnal cybernetic filter. It's highly visual music, painting sonic landscapes of retrofuturistic cities I'd like to visit, but probably not live in.

The Midnight - Endless Summer - 2016

Synthwave

If electronic music had a soul, this would be it. Tyler Lyle brings humanity to cozy synths reminiscent of the 80s, but curated to retain the most enduring facets of the era, while jettisoning the aspects that have dated poorly. This is another artist where I really cannot pick an album because amazing songs are littered all over their albums and EPs, but this one will have to suffice.

Mind.In.A.Box - Revelations - 2012

Futurepop

If a sentient and artistic android wrote music, it would sound like this. Hazy soundscrapes surround interweaving electronic textures with laser-like precision.

Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley - 2016

Darksynth

Another artist where selecting a particular album feels rather arbitrary. He has some of the most masterful sense of orchestration and sound composition I've heard, painting incandescent and surreal aural pictures of Blade Runner or Dark City-esque universes, where it's a symphony of swirling flourishes illuminating rainy nights in a dystopian future where the machines have won the war.

Everything else

Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart - 2010

Pop/singer-songwriter/piano rock

Piano pop perfection. Her melancholic yet effervescent and soulful voice is so addicting, and this album is loaded with fun and varied instrumentation and tunes you won't be able to get out of your head even if you try.

Francesca Battistelli - If We're Honest - 2014

Pop/rock

In the wrong hands these types of songs can be monotonous, but here we have engaging and memorable songcraft elevated by resplendent and captivating vocals. It's not so evident in this song, but she has rhythmic agility that may explained by her husband being a drummer.

Daughter If You Leave - 2013

Dream pop/post-rock

This is a sumptuous and otherworldy feast for the ears. Waves of sonic fragments wash over you and envelope you in blissful tranquility.

Fitz & The Tantrums - Pickin' Up the Pieces - 2010

Pop soul/Neo-soul/modern Motown

Their later albums somehow fell off a cliff, but this album was a perfect revivification of the old Motown sound with some modern flourishes. They managed to create a propulsive and lively sound intentionally without guitars, but instead doused their sound in riveting saxophone and vintage keyboard work.

Brooke Fraser - Flags - 2010

Folk pop/singer-songwriter/dream pop/pop rock

Contemplative, nuanced and evocative songs from this New Zealander. Her warm, passionate vocals are indelible. Some songs have powerful buildups to intense climaxes, and others are lighter and more playful but still delightful fare.

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane - 2011

Progressive bluegrass/alt-country

Looks like I'm not the only one who loves this one. I miss the more kinetic early material and her more prominent barn-burning fiddling, but this is still a stellar collection of tunes with their trademark stamp of musicianship. I've been trying to limit myself to one selection per artist, but I just have way too many female vocalists on these lists, sheesh, so I also need a track with Dan Tyminski to balance things out, lol.

Katharine McPhee - Hysteria - 2015

Pop/r&b

This is how modern radio should sound. Infectious and groovy, filled to the brim with ear-worms, and her vocals are vivacious and enchanting.

Ruth Moody - These Wilder Things - 2013

Folk/singer-songwriter

She has a pretty soprano voice that I just can't get tired of. A perfect album to unwind to and soothe away the troubles of the world. Mark Knopfler joins this Canadian Australian on a few tracks to add some zesty guitar ornamentations and vocals.

Nickel Creek - A Dotted Line - 2014

Progressive bluegrass/country

The perfect comeback album. I don't know how they get so much sound of an acoustic trio, (plus session upright bass). Chris Thile on mandolin is basically a one-man band himself, so maybe that explains it, but he and Sara Watkins trade off on lead vocals with violin and dazzling instrumentation that is scintillating but never excessive. This is another where I'm going to break my informal rule and put two tracks, the second of which highlights Chris so this isn't quite as skewed, heh.

Of Monsters and Men - My Head Is An Animal - 2011

Indie/folk/chamber pop

I'm not a big indie guy, but this Icelandic group really caught my ear. They have an engrossing male/female vocal duo that trade and harmonize lines, supported with delicious effect-laden guitar and multifarious keyboards and guest instruments.

PVRIS - All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell - 2017

Alternative rock/pop-rock

Song after song of ridiculously catchy tunes given extra pizzazz with Lynn Gunn's powerful and gritty vocal delivery.

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator - 2011

Blues rock

One of my favorite collaborations ever. Derek Trucks is arguably the greatest slide guitarist of all time, and I loved his solo albums and work with the Allman Brothers. Susan Tedeschi has such a soulful voice which I've enjoyed on her solo albums. Knowing they were married, and had done guest appearances on each other's albums, I always wished they would do a whole album together. To my serendipity, it happened, and not just an album, but a whole touring group now with half a dozen albums or so.

Trioscence - Where Time Stands Still - 2012

Vocal jazz

On this album the German jazz project recruited Sara Gazarek for vocals, who happens to be one of my favorite vocalists ever, her voice is mesmerizing. Very relaxing but poignant and lush tapestries of piano and acoustic guitar over a lilting rhythm section.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:39 am, edited 8 times in total.
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 am 

Some really great mentions above. I agree with your pick of The Bones Of What You Believe. The other Chvrches albums are good, but they never fully found the magic of the first one, imo. I actually got to see them live once before their debut was released. You could tell then and there the songs were explosively catchy.

I just recently got into Daughter, so it's nice to see them mentioned. That Of Monsters and Men album is probably my favourite by them.
Of course mentioning Chelsea Wolfe is always good. I really like Hiss Spun, but I think my favourite will always be Pain Is Beauty.

Great list, my friend. I'm going to check out some of the ones I didn't know.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am 

Borderline metal, non-archived list:
- Suicidal Euphoria - Suicidal Euphoria (2012) This is great DSBM for me, but not for this site apparently.
- Délice - Sillage (2018)
- Cold Body Radiation - I Fell Into the Unknown Light (2019) Very good post-rock/post-black/blackgaze discography. This one-man band was archived until someone decided they aren't trve. I suspect the same person is in An Autumn for Crippled Children.
- Unreqvited - Disquiet (2016)
- Asking Alexandria - Reckless & Relentless (2011)
-------------------------------------------
- Dismissed - For Better or Worse (2017) Post-hardcore/metalcore
- Dream State - Recovery (2018) Post-hardcore/rock. Amazing female vocalist.
- Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural Wold (2014) Wikipedia says it's post-punk/gothic rock, but I'd say just unique and magnificent.
- I See Stars - New Demons (2013) Metalcore/Electonicore
-------------------------------------------
- Líam - MMIX (2012) I adore this post-rock album. It's so sad and has beautiful crescendos.
- Old Gray - Slow Burn (2016) I've always thought scr(emo) is much more beautiful for looking than for listening, thus I've never been into screamo, but this album shows how the entire genre should have sounded. Raw, genuine, heartbreaking nervous breakdown full of screams and cries...
- Psyclon Nine - Order of the Shadow Act I (2013) Nero Bellum really knows how to embrace androgynous gothic aesthetics while making perfect black metal high-pitched screams. Psyclon Nine started with catchy aggrotech/EBM and were slowly adding guitars until they shone in full light on this album.
- Sarcophagic - Birth Of Betrayer (2013) This is some kind of very unique evil industrial rock. I would describe it as a dystopian cyber-goth horror. I have a feeling like something in the vain of The 120 Days of Sodom is happening in an abandoned factory in the alternate future, and Hitler is well and alive. Creepy.
- Sleeping Bear - Sleeping Bear (2014) Another post-rock album I love.
- Sleeping With Sirens - With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear (2010) and How It Feels to be Lost (2019) Post-hardcore/metalcore/rock. I'm going to pretend they haven't released anything between these two albums.
- Suffering Astrid - Back to Dreaming (2015) This is one of my favourite one-man bands. Bruno has a signature melancholic riffs and interesting philosophy behind it.
- Hatari - Neyslutrans (2020) and Neysluvara (2017) “award-winning, anti-capitalist, BDSM, techno-dystopian, performance art collective” XD
- Phrenia - Perspectives (2018)

Last edited by Osore on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:44 am 

jimbies wrote:
Some really great mentions above. I agree with your pick of The Bones Of What You Believe. The other Chvrches albums are good, but they never fully found the magic of the first one, imo.

Yeah, there are a few good songs on them, but the albums as a whole were much weaker.

jimbies wrote:
I really like Hiss Spun, but I think my favourite will always be Pain Is Beauty

I was contemplating putting that one in the "everything else" section, but was trying to keep myself to an album per artist, and it's vexing because she has so many great ones.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 pm 

1 Angel Olsen - My Woman (2016)
2 Beastmilk - Climax (2013)
3 Swans - To Be Kind (2014)
4 Swans - The Seer (2012)
5 Swans - The Glowing Man (2016)
6 Metz - Metz (2012)
7 Antoine Corriveau - Cette chose qui cognait au creux de sa poitrine sans vouloir s'arrêter (2016)
8 Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (2017)
9 Parquet Courts - Human Performance (2016)
10 Royal Thunder - CVI (2012)
11 Interpol - El Pintor (2014)
12 Loma Prieta - I.V. (2012)
13 GYBE - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (2012)
14 Father John Misty - I Love you, Honeybear (2015)
15 Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (2019)
16 Beach House - Depression Cherry (2015)
17 Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love (2015)
18 Idles - Brutalism (2017)
19 The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet (2012)
20 Avec le soleil sortant de sa bouche - Pas pire pop, I <3 you so much (2017)
21 The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentrre (2011)
22 Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else (2014)
23 Daughters - Daughters (2010)
24 Lingua Ignota - Caligula (2019)
25 Big Brave - Au de la (2015)
26 Les Louanges - La nuit est une panthère (2018)
27 Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase. (2015)
28 Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses (2018)
29 Savages - Silence Yourself (2013)
30 Run the Jewels 3 (2016)

No particular order except perhaps the top 5, pretty good decade overall. Particularly great for women in music.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 pm 

Osore wrote:

I was about to put Stand Up and Scream until I found out it was released in 09. Generally don't really like anything after that album, but man they totally blew up around that time Reckless and Relentless came out. I'll never forget the show I went to the first time I saw them. They were playing some tiny ass venue in Colorado Springs with Born of Osiris and Vampires Everywhere and a few other bands. I live in Denver, so that's a good hour and a half to two hour drive. My friend asked me if I wanted to go like exactly an hour and a half out from the doors opening and I said sure. So we busted our asses down there. Everyone sucked except Born of Osiris and Asking Alexandria, and while Asking Alexandria was never exactly my kind of music they definitely put on a great live show and got me into that first album. Crazy to see a band right before they blow up- sometimes you just have this sixth sense that what they're doing is going to vibe well with a larger audience. That was definitely the case with them.

After the concert we went back to my car to find out the seatbelt got stuck in the door of my car which drained the car battery. Had to wait like an hour and a half to get my car jumped :lol:.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:11 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Osore wrote:

I was about to put Stand Up and Scream until I found out it was released in 09. Generally don't really like anything after that album, but man they totally blew up around that time Reckless and Relentless came out. I'll never forget the show I went to the first time I saw them. They were playing some tiny ass venue in Colorado Springs with Born of Osiris and Vampires Everywhere and a few other bands. I live in Denver, so that's a good hour and a half to two hour drive. My friend asked me if I wanted to go like exactly an hour and a half out from the doors opening and I said sure. So we busted our asses down there. Everyone sucked except Born of Osiris and Asking Alexandria, and while Asking Alexandria never exactly my kind of music they definitely put on a great live show and got me into that first album. Crazy to see a band right before they blow up- sometimes you just have this sixth sense that what they're doing is going to vibe well with a larger audience. That was definitely the case with them.

After the concert we went back to my car to find out the seatbelt got stuck in the door of my car which drained the car battery. Had to wait like an hour and a half to get my car jumped :lol:.

I liked their third album as well, although it was a let down in a way, and after that this band completely fell apart. Stand up and Scream was probably the best. Denis tried to bring up the old sound, but it didn't work for some reason, and now when the old singer is back, they play some kind of rap-rock. :nono: I've always wanted for bands to evolve from rock to hard rock, and than to metal, but it always happens in reverse. Majority of rock bands that were highly popular 15 years ago sing pop now.
Apart from the stuff from my list above, only early The Word Alive and Wage War are the metalcore bands that I like. If I Were You are not bad too.

I spend an hour and a half in commute in one direction when I go home from work and vice versa. I live in suburbia and I've never been interested in taking driving lessons since my family has only an old Yugo 101. Paradoxically, some people from the city also commute so long because city (trolley)buses, trams and trains are slower than intercity buses. I know in the US and Canada most of the people drive cars and prefer not to walk, but here it's the opposite. I realised that my best time of the day is when I sit in the train or bus and open a book to read. I used to listen to music in a bus for a year and a half, and stopped after I got tinnitus. Now with phonophobia I listen to music exclusively in a quiet house through loudspeakers turned away from me. I think my neighbours are glad they can't hear black metal anymore. Those screams used to clean the air around my windows 8 years ago... When the priest comes to bless the house for slava, I play the most satanic music in my collection, just to balance the power of the holy spirits. :-D

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:48 pm 

This is turning into just as massive a project as the metal one was. I've already updated my original post a few times to add another handful of albums I overlooked, and I keep thinking of even more, which I'm toying with the idea of also including, but it's already such a behemoth as it is. This would probably take a gargantuan amount of effort to do properly, but it would be fascinating to do one for each decade, and notice the patterns of my favorites in each. There are some genres that are absent or mostly missing that would definitely have stronger representation in earlier decades. I think the 2000s were about trying to broaden my tastes as much as possible, and the 2010s were about distilling them down to my preferences, at least in terms of modern music. I also suspect if this were a list of songs rather than albums the composition would also shift some.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:12 pm 

Lady GaGa - Joanne. I was just mesmerized by the album cover. I finally gave in an listened to it. Some of the songs were inspired by the death of her Grandmother and they just really speak to me.

Deftones - Diamond Eyes. Didn't even realize this was from 2010 until I saw it posted in this thread. What an incredible album.

Pinkish Black - Concept Unification. Discovered this gem in Revolver magazine of all places. Its a drone electronic album. Guess that is how I would describe it. Really think its an incredible album.

Thangorodrim - Taur nu Fuin - Very impressive dungeon synth. I am completely taken aback by this album. Have listened to it for the past year, at least one time the entire way through for the past year.

Nine Inch Nails - Add Violence. Another album of his that has blown me away. Most of his stuff impresses me. This is just amazing.

Chris Cornell - Higher Truth. Extremely talented guitar player and singer. This entire album is incredible. Played it to death when it came out. Still can't believe he killed himself. I believe some that are genius's or extremely smart, self destruct. They are unable to function in a world that is not normal to them.

Peter Gundry - The Witching Hour. This is classical music. I guess that is the best way to describe. Extremely dark and moves me emotionally.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:27 pm 

People on this board never fail to impress me with their quantities. You are humanoids. :-P I feel like I've been released from serving a long sentence in North Korea right now because I can barely recognise any artist from your lists.

I remember how cool were The Poison and Scream Aim Fire by Bullet for My Valentine, but that's the wrong decade.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:56 pm 

Oh, Serbia, cool. David Maxim Micic's band Destiny Potato/Sordid Pink and his solo work on my list are based from there. I have no idea if he's at all known there, because he's practically unheard of over here.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:41 pm 

^ Never heard of him, he doesn't even have a page in Wikipedia in Serbian, which makes it difficult to know if his surname is actually Mićić or Micić. It isn't Micic for sure, it's Anglicised, just like Maxim, which would be Maksim, and all of that led me to read his name David as if it was English (the ''a'' is actually pronounced as ''a'' in Alex).
So many bands slip out of my hands, especially from my region... I even forgot to put Phrenia on my list, which is the only Serbian non-black metal band I listen to. It's a shame good music doesn't have a place in the media, that is full of disgusting turbo folk...
Edit: Phrenia are actually Hungarians who live in Serbia. :D

Last edited by Osore on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:55 pm 

Very interesting. So it would be like DOW-vid? And I've heard Micic is pronounced like ME-cheech, does that sound right?

I'm never sure when people pronounce their names if they're intentionally distorting them a bit to make them a little more palatable to English speakers.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 pm 

I'm not sure if I know what you mean, it's Daʋid with ''a'' like in father. In English it sounds like Deyvid. If it's Mićić, then it sounds like /M i t͡ɕ i t͡ɕ/, which is basically what you wrote. There's a hidden twist - most of the foreigners can't hear a difference between ć and č. The later is harder like in chair and chips.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbo-Croatian#Phonology Don't listen to them, ć doesn't sound like choose, it's softer. This is why our prime minister's surname Brnabić sounds like Burn-a-bitch on CNN. XD

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:23 pm 

Haha. Yeah, these conversations are probably a little tricky to have online rather than in person. The "father" example makes me think it sounds like "DAW-vid" or "DAH-vid", but the second sounds more like "DAY-vid", which is just the normal way we would say it here. I'm pretty sure I've watched videos where he's said his name and I think it was closer to the first example, but that just brings back the other point I was suggesting that he might say it differently around people who aren't Serbian.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:33 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm never sure when people pronounce their names if they're intentionally distorting them a bit to make them a little more palatable to English speakers.
I'm sure they aren't because I can't imagine any alternative way to pronounce my real name, but some people from his band have part of their names written in a way that should look ''English and cool'', like a nickname Maxim. For example, female name Milica can become Mixy (we don't have x nor y in Serbian, so you have the idea). I've never liked nicknames and I always call people by their full first names.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Haha. Yeah, these conversations are probably a little tricky to have online rather than in person. The "father" example makes me think it sounds like "DAW-vid" or "DAH-vid", but the second sounds more like "DAY-vid", which is just the normal way we would say it here. I'm pretty sure I've watched videos where he's said his name and I think it was closer to the first example, but that just brings back the other point I was suggesting that he might say it differently around people who aren't Serbian.
Yes, it's DAH-vid like FAH-ther. If he gave the interview in English, he might have pronounced it like DAY-vid just to morph into English because that's c00l (we actually write it as kul). It's simple, one letter = one sound, so we don't have to learn the spelling.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:18 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
1 Angel Olsen - My Woman (2016)
4 Swans - The Seer (2012)
6 Metz - Metz (2012)
8 Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (2017)
14 Father John Misty - I Love you, Honeybear (2015)
15 Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (2019)
16 Beach House - Depression Cherry (2015)
17 Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love (2015)
18 Idles - Brutalism (2017)
22 Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else (2014)
24 Lingua Ignota - Caligula (2019)
29 Savages - Silence Yourself (2013)
30 Run the Jewels 3 (2016)

I really like (love some) of these choices. I lean more toward Helplessness Blues for Fleet Foxes, and Bloom for Beach House. But yeah, that Lingua album is fucking insane. Also, I was lucky enough to see Savages and Run The Jewels at the same festival in 2013. Both played to much smaller crowds than they would now.

Osore wrote:
- A Light In the Dark - A long Journey Home (2017) Post-rock/post-black metal. Again not on this site.

They actually are now! (and their new album is fucking great).

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:44 am 

jimbies wrote:
Osore wrote:
- A Light In the Dark - A long Journey Home (2017) Post-rock/post-black metal. Again not on this site.

They actually are now! (and their new album is fucking great).

Indeed, nice! I've heard Insomnia maybe 3 times and it sounds like A Long Journey Home part 2, which is good. However, if the next album is going to sound like this, I'm afraid I'll be bored.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:43 pm 

1. Steady Holiday - Under the Influence: When I first heard it I thought it was just okay, but something stuck and I kept playing it. Now it's my ultimate chill album, the album I need most in my life. Mellow dreampop with heaps of mellotrons and some psychedelia and sweet, fragile vocals. I know, doesn't seem too cool on paper...

2. Bent Knee - Shiny Eyed Babies: Bjork & Zappa had a lovechild. There's always new sounds in rock to explore.

3. Emma Ruth Rundle - Some Heavy Ocean: The folky one, but that fat bass adds some weight when needed. Love her voice and style of guitar playing. I do like the fact that she's getting heavier with each release, but something about this still grabs me the most.

4. Chelsea Wolfe - Ἀποκάλυψις: Like death rock with folk influences. She nailed a creepy sound here that I hope she comes back to someday.

5. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness: Aviary may be more accomplished, but I can play this one at any time, any mood and just enjoy the hell out of the melodies.

6. Weyes Blood - Front Row Seat to Earth: Transition album that keeps the trippy vibe of her early stuff while adding some lushness that would define her next album. Best of both worlds.

7. Kero Kero Bonito - Time 'n' Place: Quite a change from their earlier stuff, the fuzzy guitars and darker tone (granted they were happy as FUCK before) do wonders for their sound.

The vast majority of stuff I listen to that was released up to 1990 was sung by dudes. The 90's & 00's have a more even ratio, but this last decade for non-metal I almost exclusively listen to female singers. Weird.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:52 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
The vast majority of stuff I listen to that was released up to 1990 was sung by dudes. The 90's & 00's have a more even ratio, but this last decade for non-metal I almost exclusively listen to female singers. Weird.

I know, right? And I almost had Emma Ruth Rundle, Marissa Nadler, Agnes Obel and some others, but no particular album was salient enough yet.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:48 am 

Since this is not a poll, here are my top 20 in alphabetical order (my rules: full lengths only, no repeats bands in the top 20):

Angels & Airwaves-The Love Album Parts 1 & 2 (2011) Physical releases treat this as one double album, so I am as well. Just edges The Dream Walker for me.

Blackfield-Welcome To My DNA (2011)

Blink 182-Neighborhoods (2011)

Brutus-Burst (2017)

Casualties Of Cool-Casualties Of Cool (2014) I wish Dev would do another Casualties record.

The Corrs-White Light (2015) A lovely comeback record.

Garbage-Not Your Kind Of People (2012) Speaking of comeback records, probably the best one I've ever heard.

Godspeed You Black Emperor-Allelujah, Don't Bend, Ascend (2012) "Mladic" is a masterwork.

Information Society-Hello World (2014)

Jimmy Eat World-Damage (2013) The perfect late 30's breakup/divorce record, this album resonates even more deeply with me as the years pass.

Junius-Reports From The Threshold Of Death (2011)

Marillion-Sounds That Can't Be Made (2012) This band continues to amaze me.

Metric-Synthetica (2013)

No-Man-Love You To Bits (2019)

R.E.M.-Collapse Into Now (2011) I wish more bands would take their lead and leave at a creative peak.

Sigur Ros-Valtari (2012) To this day, "Varud" still moves me to tears.

St. Vincent-Massseduction (2017)

Steven Wilson-The Raven That Refused To Sing (2013). The live band is just on fire here, and the title track is still extremely moving.

U2-Songs Of Experience (2017)

White Reaper-The World's Greatest American Band (2017) Probably the best pure rock n roll record I've heard in quite some time.

Other albums considered (no particular order):

Alanis Morrisette-Havoc And Bright Lights (2012)
Angels & Airwaves-The Dream Walker (2014)
Bad Religion-True North (2013)
Belly-Dove (2018)
Blink 182-Nine (2019)
Brutus-Nest (2019)
Deftones-Diamond Eyes (2010), Koi No Yokan (2012), Gore (2016)
Envy-Recitation (2010), Athiest's Cornea (2015)
FKA Twigs-LP1 (2014), Magdelene (2019)
Flying Colors-Flying Colors (2011)
Fountains Of Wayne-Sky Full Of Holes (2011)
Fucked Up-David Comes To Life (2011), Dose Your Dreams (2018)
Garbage-Strange Little Birds (2016)
Gost-Behemoth (2015), Non Paradisi (2016), Possessor (2018)
Jetta In The Ghost Tree-Clandestine Vol. 1 (2015)
The Killers-Battle Born (2012)
Marillion-Fuck Everyone And Run (2016)
Mono-The Last Dawn (2014), Rays Of Darkness (2014), Requiem For Hell (2016)
My Chemical Romance-Danger Days (2010)
Nelly Furtado-The Spirit Indestructible (2012)
Noel Gallhager-High Flying Birds (2011), Chasing Yesterday (2014)
Oddzoo-Future Flesh (2018)
Perturbator-Dangerous Days (2014), The Uncanny Valley (2016)
St Vincent-Strange Mercy (2011), St Vincent (2014)
Steve Hogarth/Richard Barbieri-Not The Weapon, But The Hand (2012)
Steven Wilson-Grace For Drowning (2011), Hand Cannot Erase (2015), To The Bone (2017)
Suffocate For Fuck Sake-In My Blood (2016)
Thursday-No Devolucion (2011)
Tool-Fear Innoculum (2019)
U2-Songs Of Innocence (2014)
Vanessa Carlton-Liberman (2015)
Winery Dogs-Winery Dogs (2013), Hot Streak (2015)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Mosquito (2013)

EDIT: Corrections and omissions from the honorable mentions section.
Obliteration

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:03 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Sigur Ros-Valtari (2012) To this day, "Varud" still moves me to tears.
St. Vincent-Massseduction (2017)

Dude, I saw them play Varúð live in 2013 and I can't even THINK about that without getting a lump in my throat.
Great mention for St. Vincent. I feel like her other albums might be better as a whole, but Masseduction has the best high points for me. I think New York is my favourite St. Vincent song ever. (amazing music video, too)

Also, FKA Twig's Magdelene is a masterpiece. It came out so close to the end of the decade it's kind of hard to gauge it against the rest, but I feel like 5 years from now I'll look back on it as one of the best.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Godspeed You Black Emperor-Allelujah, Don't Bend, Ascend (2012) "Mladic" is a masterwork.

I thought at first this was mladić, which means a young man, but it's Mladić with capital m, which is a surname and it turns out this song refers to Ratko Mladić, a war criminal. :roll: If they wanted to mock him, they should have named a song Mladic - senseless annihilator or simply Mladic - looser. Mladic alone sounds like it could be an homage to him. :-/

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:37 am 

Osore wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

I thought at first this was mladić, which means a young man, but it's Mladić with capital m, which is a surname and it turns out this song refers to Ratko Mladić, a war criminal. :roll: If they wanted to mock him, they should have named a song Mladic - senseless annihilator or simply Mladic - looser. Mladic alone sounds like it could be an homage to him. :-/

Honest question, are you not familiar with GY!BE? I'm not saying you should know but there is no way this could be misinterpreted. They were detained on suspicion on being a far-left anti government terrorist organisation by the FBI. They are an anti-capitalist, anti-fascist, anti-war band from Canada. Some of their members are Jewish if I'm correct and they have clearly spoken out against the mass murder of Palestinians by Israel. This song used to be called Albanian but it changed it's name to Mladic when they recorded it. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but the arrest of Mladic was around that time. They play it live often and display images of some of the horrendous war crimes committed in the Balkans and in the Middle-East.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:08 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Osore wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:

Honest question, are you not familiar with GY!BE? I'm not saying you should know but there is no way this could be misinterpreted. They were detained on suspicion on being a far-left anti government terrorist organisation by the FBI. They are an anti-capitalist, anti-fascist, anti-war band from Canada. Some of their members are Jewish if I'm correct and they have clearly spoken out against the mass murder of Palestinians by Israel. This song used to be called Albanian but it changed it's name to Mladic when they recorded it. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but the arrest of Mladic was around that time. They play it live often and display images of some of the horrendous war crimes committed in the Balkans and in the Middle-East.

Also, when they won the polaris music prize (the most prestigious Canadian music award worth 50 grand), they donated all to music education systems in prisons.

The band subsequently released a statement criticizing the prize's gala trappings in a time of austerity, asserting that "organizing a gala just so musicians can compete against each other for a novelty-sized cheque doesn't serve the cause of righteous music at all. Maybe the next celebration should happen in a cruddier hall, without the corporate banners and culture overlords." Despite their criticism the band accepted the award, but donated the prize money to a Quebec-based program of music education in prisons.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am 

^Thanks for the info. I knew only their name and music from Youtube; since it wasn't of my taste, I've never explored the band further.
90s wars here were pure nonsense (just like any other war) and the wounds are still open - no one wants to face with the fact that every side is responsable for lost lives and destruction. They rather accuse the other side and try to outperform each other in number of crimes one can list. The hatred among nations in the Balkans is very toxic and I sometimes I feel like I'm in a zoo park.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13 pm 

I'd imagine living in Serbia, there are constant reminders every single day. I've never been fortunate enough to visit, but I was in Croatia in 2017, and learned some about it there (although, I am always weary that you are probably only hearing one sides account of it. I don't want to talk-out-of-turn about something I truly don't have muck knowledge about. No offence intended by my ignorance.)

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 pm 

I'm finally digging myself through the Der Blutharsch and the Infinite Church of the Leading Hand discography and I love it so far, it's like a weird goth Hawkwind.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 am 

Tony Molina, Tony Molina, Tony Molina.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun - 2017
The Birthday Massacre - Hide and Seek - 2010
Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe - 2013

Liquid_Braino wrote:

4. Chelsea Wolfe - Ἀποκάλυψις: Like death rock with folk influences. She nailed a creepy sound here that I hope she comes back to someday.
5. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness: Aviary may be more accomplished, but I can play this one at any time, any mood and just enjoy the hell out of the melodies.

Some great picks there - and I totally agree with the point about mainly finding more female singers now - festival line-ups like Green Man in the UK have definitely helped me along in that regard.

I'll add the below

Ladyhawke: Wild Things (2016) - Not the twangy bar-indie music that she started making, this is an absolutely superlative pop record - sing-along catchy tracks that you listen to walking in that warm summer rain that happens once every couple of years. Can't believe it's been out so long already !

Mazzy Star: Seasons of Your Day (2013)- My last.fm listening chart shows a mix of music all day, and then about 10PM onwards is stuff like Mazzy Star. It's perfect 'I'm done with the day and want to lie in bed somewhere comfortable and be happy' music. The singer's solo project 'Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions: Until the Hunter (2016)' is more similar good stuff.

Warpaint: Warpaint (2014) - Discovered these guys from the aforementioned festival line-up, and honestly didn't get it until this record came out. It's a bit different, ambient-y in places, instrumental in others, and then gorgeous soft-rock tunes like 'Love is to Die' jump out and make a fan of you.

White Lies: Friends (2016) - I got hooked on these guys years ago during that brief moment when indie rock boy bands took a step sideways into 80s goth, and you got stuff like White Lies and The Editors' first record. They're five albums in now, and this was No. 4 - it's a great example of where that Bolshoi / March Violets sound would've gone in the earlies with less angst and better production. Very solid stuff, and very very good live more importantly.

The Trials of Cato: (demo EP) (2016) - I defy you not to wince and laugh together, at the lyrics to 'Fighting Jack'. This is folk music done the way it always was - topical songs, old standards, reworked by the men playing them - and not folk in some kind of suspicious neo-ist manner. Look them up - they're local-ish to me, and I bought their demo with real money from them playing in the town square.

Bat For Lashes: The Bride (2016) - Natasha Khan is one of my favourite singers - she's got one of those smoky voices that just don't happen that often. This album is her 'I'm happy !' album, to degree, and calls back to older stuff from Two Suns in the melodies and vocal lines. Try out 'Widow's Peak'.

The Birthday Massacre: Pins and Needles (2010) / Under Your Spell (2017) - Absolutely cannot choose between their records at the best of times, so narrowing it down a decade makes things no easier. I'll always pick 'Walking with strangers' and be the idiots dancing along to 'Kill the Lights' at the shows, but these two albums are excellent - great lyrics, great hooks, great big crunch guitars and what seem to be (probably because of their look) 'purple' synths just drowning you in electronic gothy goodness. A great vision of a 'heavy Chvrches', too.

Star of Ash: The Thread (2013) - Experimental soundscapes, arty soundtrack style stuff. Listen to 'The World Spins For You' and try not to be transported.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I'd imagine living in Serbia, there are constant reminders every single day. I've never been fortunate enough to visit, but I was in Croatia in 2017, and learned some about it there (although, I am always weary that you are probably only hearing one sides account of it. I don't want to talk-out-of-turn about something I truly don't have muck knowledge about. No offence intended by my ignorance.)

I'd say you are fortunate for skipping the visit as there's nothing to see. XD
Actually, what I rarely hear is Albanian side of the story because I don't speak their language; situation for Serbs who still live in Kosovo is bad, judging by the news.
The contrasting opinions of Serbian and Croatian governments can be seen on the fifth of August, which is a remembrance day in Serbia (and Republic of Srpska part of B&H) and a festive day in Croatia where they celebrate the victory. However, there's a sensible intellectual elite, like Croatian historian Hrvoje Klasić and political scientist Dejan Jović whose rhetoric on the issues seems legitimate.
A massive problem in the Balkans is glorification of war criminals. Also, we are aware of anti-Serbian Western propaganda of the time, which served to justify the NATO bombardment of Serbia.
My father was mobilised by the Yugoslavian army and was directed to the trenches in Croatia. A lot of his friends and neighbours deserted, but he felt the need to stay, looking up after his grand-grandfather who fought in WWI. That was incredibly stupid, at least he's only left with a short temper. Some people went crazy and/or physically disabled.
I've never been able to understand the need to hate people just because of their national affiliation. Apart from the language, I don't feel estranged from Croatia in a way that my grandparents lived there in the previous century and I have relatives across the border.

On topic, I forgot to mention Illyria, a metal band from Australia. They make melodic post-black metal music with interesting riffs and I simply can't hear what exactly isn't metal for which they are blacklisted on this site.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next