Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 pm 

yeah darksynth is becoming really, really exciting now that the metal influence is becoming much more prominent. with the last gost album, that shredder 1984 ep, dav dralleon, plus what you got and lord knows the heat gregorio franco cookin up (et al. et al.), i'm really looking forward to hearing where the style goes from here.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:23 am 

theposega wrote:
yeah darksynth is becoming really, really exciting now that the metal influence is becoming much more prominent. with the last gost album, that shredder 1984 ep, dav dralleon, plus what you got and lord knows the heat gregorio franco cookin up (et al. et al.), i'm really looking forward to hearing where the style goes from here.

Funny. I think the metal influence is fucking it up.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 am 

now i like it even more. :thumbsup:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
theposega wrote:

Funny. I think the metal influence is fucking it up.

Now I'm going to put exactly 6 times more guitars in my next release than I originally planned on, just so I can keep "fucking it up" more.

The_Spice_Must_Flow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:08 pm 

Personally I don't think increasing metal influence is fucking it up per se. I think the diminishing of 80's influence on the genre is what's fucking it up. Judge Bitch and Elay Arson are examples that have significant metal influence and still sound good. IMO the darksynth groups that are shedding the 80's sound are akin to death metal bands that eschew 80's thrash from their sound.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:10 pm 

I don't think anything is *fucking it up* in that sense. People just make what they want. There will always be super retro, throwback groups out there just as others continue to evolve their sound into something new. So what you like is still going to exist, and dare I say there are far more of those artists than there are that eschew the 80s aesthetic simply due to the fact that it's already been processed and figured out by the majority of producers who work in the genre.

The_Spice_Must_Flow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm 

Ok sure, I'll agree with you that people making what they want is ok. What I was trying to get at was to me at least, adding at least a little 80's to the sound makes it sound a little more dynamic, DreamReaper for example. I wasn't specifically trying to argue for the super retro bands; honestly I think the number of Mitch Murder copycats is so saturated that we'll hear less of that in the future.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:31 am 

New Masked album, just came out:
https://maskedsynthwave.bandcamp.com/al ... -awakening

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:43 pm 

some day i'll get around to masked. trying to not go too crazy on bandcamp lately.

more recent recs:

M.A.D.E.S's Motor is a quality slab of outrun with Brut-style production. nothing groundbreaking, but goddamn i can't seem to get enough of it. heavy shouts for the cover/remix/interpolation of Miami Nights 1984's "Ocean Drive" on the song "Miami Life"

Gadgetor's Prey is basically the darksynth answer to Tonebox. There's some Mega Drive, Daniel Deluxe, Lazerpunk, et al in there too, but it retains a unique feel despite all those comparisons. Makes sense that the dude is the vocalist for a grindcore band.

not really new (well, kind of since he put an album out a few months back) but i can't seem to get enough Timecop1983 lately. Especially the Reflections album, but everything he does is fucking magical. his last one (Night Drive) is nothing but jaw-droppingly beautiful synth tones, and the atmosphere is like if The Breakfast Club took place in the Blade Runner universe.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:33 am 

A playlist on Spotify recently brought me to Deadlife. Great stuff; futuristic, fresh-sounding darksynth with a concept and the occasional vocals (which happen to not suck, ... well, more like spoken-word).

Also, this article is a cool read, giving a quick summary of synthwave's history and speciation so far.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 am 

deadlife makes pretty cool cyberpunk-themed dance with the dead-style stuff. but i can't get past those voiceovers being in damn near every song. haven't heard the latest though so maybe he toned it back some.

and that iron skullet guy has very weird opinions on shit to where i've just started to disregard what he says.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:11 pm 

Such as? I didn't find anything overtly questionable in the linked article, didn't really check the blog as a whole, though. As for the voice-overs, normally stuff like that can make me turn away cringing pretty quickly, but I think they're a good fit.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm 

from the reviews/articles i've read, it seems like he hates repetition in music but then also claims to be a big dungeon synth fan. he also seems to only like darksynth nowadays to the point where i literally don't know why he continues to even review lighter styles of synthwave. he gave lazerhawk's dreamrider an 18/100, which is an absolute fucking joke. the bulk of his negative reviews seem like contrarianism merely for the sake of contrarianism.

he seems pretty well-versed in the style, but i 100% cannot take any synthwave fan/writer/fanwriter seriously if they call robert parker's output "wearisome"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 am 

Welllllll, the new Lazerhawk was pretty lame overall...

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:08 am 

i didn't like it at first since the title/cover made me think it'd be Redline 2.0. but once i realized it's supposed to be an outrun album literally of your dreams, i 100% got it and it's probably my favorite of his now. super unique concept/theme and nails it perfectly.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm 

I've been trawling the depths of the synthwave pile and I bring you:

Triptidon

Phat synths, dark sounds, horror soundtrack stuff and it's really heavy in places. Have a listen...

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 pm 

new gost song to announce his signing to century media [!!!]

sounds like a mix between "sigil" and behemoth. fuckin slaps.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:54 pm 

theposega wrote:

Looks like there's a bit of bad feeling with some fans about this, especially as the new song isn't too hard. The guy who runs Blood Music apparently knew that this day would come, which is why he doesn't tie down his bands. As far as I'm concerned, Century Media are one of the best labels GosT could have signed to for artistic freedom. I just hope that CM aren't trying to buy a piece of synthwave pie that they'll junk at a later date through poor sales. Still, this is GosT we're talking about!

Will Perturbator be next? Hmm...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 pm 

drterror666 wrote:
theposega wrote:

The guy who runs Blood Music apparently knew that this day would come, which is why he doesn't tie down his bands.

What do you mean by this? What did he know would come, exactly?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:46 pm 

i'm sure whatever gost does in the future will involve being heavy as all hell. i don't think he'd sign with a heavy metal label only to soften his sound, especially after the brutality shown on parts of possessor.

but whatever. as long as he keeps his insanely fun and infectious, yet dark and evil sense of melody, i'll be a fan.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:39 pm 

rexxz wrote:
What do you mean by this? What did he know would come, exactly?

That his bands could possibly go off to a bigger labels in the future. What he said concerning GosT and the rest of his roster is below:

I'm honestly happy for [GosT] and hope it brings larger success. There is no reason for me to wish anything else.

My main goal when working with artists is to see things through with them for a few albums, so I get into the spirit of the project and help build them up. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:21 pm 

Oh ok, I see what you mean then. I just wasn't aware of the context so your statement sounded a bit weird. Yeah nothing wrong with that at all, honestly. I much prefer a low commitment schedule than a long one when working with labels, it's far better for the artist.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:41 pm 

I bought the new Gost album about a month ago and I finally got around to listening to it last night. Is it just me or is it eye-rollingly bad? Really I feel bad saying it because I've enjoyed his stuff in the past, but it's just a pure wall of cliche uninspired garbage.

EDIT: I didn't realize you guys were already talking about it when I posted this so... whoops lol

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:18 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I bought the new Gost album about a month ago and I finally got around to listening to it last night. Is it just me or is it eye-rollingly bad? Really I feel bad saying it because I've enjoyed his stuff in the past, but it's just a pure wall of cliche uninspired garbage.

Well one person's meat is another person's poison, as they say. I think Possessor is an amazing album and really pushing the hard end of the synthwave spectrum. What is it about the album you're unhappy about? Is it that he's taken the music in a different direction?

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:40 pm 

I really can't put my finger on it honestly. It's not *super* different from the first two albums, but I think it reeks of trying to be heavy for heaviness' sake without having any soul or anything sonically interesting aside from a wall of distortion and samey sounding tracks throughout. I think I noticed 5-7 tracks where the bassline is one note, then shifts up or down a single note, and back again. Rinse, repeat, etc. It's just tiring and unmemorable to my jaded ears I guess.

That being said, I'm willing to give it a few more spins. I am a fan of the style after all (and I paid for this shit so I owe it to myself to explore it fully lol), I just don't feel it was executed as well this time around.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:22 pm 

honestly, the only real complaint i have with the album is that it's maybe a lil varied. definitely worth another handful of listens imo, but i'm a raging gost fanboy.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I'm willing to give it a few more spins. I am a fan of the style after all (and I paid for this shit so I owe it to myself to explore it fully lol), I just don't feel it was executed as well this time around.

You never know, it may hook you yet! I'll check the bass next time I hear it.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 am 

I hope signing to Century Media doesn’t mean Bandcamp will stop being used by him as an outlet.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:21 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I hope signing to Century Media doesn’t mean Bandcamp will stop being used by him as an outlet.

At least they haven't made him close his Bandcamp page like some other labels do!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am 

Hubrid's Mercenary is definitely recommended for those of you who want to ruin your neck to some synth music. huge, fat, distorted basslines abound.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:40 pm 

As a kid I thought "how would Commodore 64 or Amiga music sound like with guitar?"

Well, it is reality these days.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 pm 

Anyone heard Roborg?
https://roborg.bandcamp.com/album/cybercrime
They have more albums, but I've been listening to their latest one from 2017, and it's solid Perturbator-style darksynthwave.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

yeah, that album is pretty tight. should probably give it another listen or two myself.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:03 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Anyone heard Roborg?
https://roborg.bandcamp.com/album/cybercrime
They have more albums, but I've been listening to their latest one from 2017, and it's solid Perturbator-style darksynthwave.

Gave it a listen and was pleasantly surprised! I tend to like the harder stuff, but this is catchy as hell without being too Blade Runner / Outrun easy listening. I'm sold!

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm 

Well, someone had to do it - synthwave fused with black metal!

Back To Reality by Abstract Void

Only one track to listen to, but I'm liking what I'm hearing!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:43 pm 

Not getting much of a synthwave vibe from that at all, but it's not bad or anything. Just sounds like a lot of other electronic ambient black metal I've heard before.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:04 pm 

Absolutely infatuated with synthwave. Love everything from slasherwave/darksynth to more lighter, poppier dreamwave acts a la Timecop1984 and Kalax.

I was fortunate to attend this year's Neon Retrofest at Providence, RI and was surprised by the amount of metalheads there.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:11 pm 

A lot of my friends played at Neon Retrofest, that's awesome you went!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Absolutely infatuated with synthwave. Love everything from slasherwave/darksynth to more lighter, poppier dreamwave acts a la Timecop1984 and Kalax.

I was fortunate to attend this year's Neon Retrofest at Providence, RI and was surprised by the amount of metalheads there.

Slasherwave; another genre that can be put in the nonsense microgenre lists.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am 

slasherwave is just gost-type stuff. less dancy, more heavy. not really a nonsense microgenre by any means, but cool. good post.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next