Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:31 pm 

I was 10 when that game came out. I actually thought it mattered.

Although WCW Mayhem has excellent commentary.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:36 am 

Funnily enough, there's a storyline in HCTP's season mode where you end up with Jerry The King Lawler as your tag team partner in a match, despite him not being on the game's roster. He is controlled by the CPU.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 am 

Festivus wrote:
And btw, not sure if I've said this already, but I hated how SmackDown games from HCTP on made me HATE submission moves. In SYM all you do is apply them and hope the opponent taps out. And if you've been fighting with him for a while and he locks you in on a submission move os his... you almost pray you don't tap to it. But then in HCTP they add a bar to those moves and you gotta mash several buttons repeatedly for a better effect. This KILLS your fingers, especially in the highest difficulty level. In DOR 2 all you had to do was mash the A button, not pretty much every single one, so it wasn't as bad. Plus I liked how you could use submission moves as restholds or ways to fill in your finisher gauge instead of making your opponent tap. So yeah, thanks for HCTP for making me not want to play with Jericho, Benoit or Angle anymore.

I'm not a fan of mashing the buttons to get a submission but I like it better than just a prettymuch automatic tapout if they are hurt enough. Plus some submissions have a meter where all you do is stop it in the right place to escape or reverse a submission so it's not as strenuous to get a tapout from that unless you're against a submission expert. I always hated how the on the pre-HCTP editions, if you didn't tap out they'd just pin you for the 3 count right after anyway. The other thing about the later games is having to damage the right body part enough to get a submission. It's super easy to damage their head and body without trying but if your submission is an armbar, you end up having to do arm wrenches for 10 minutes to get them hurt enough.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:49 am 

Festivus wrote:
Damn, how did they fit so many scenes in a PS1 disc?

And SmackDown games are notorious for being able to finish off your opponent quickly, especially on lower difficulty games. The problem with the difficulty settings in SD! games is that the reversals are pretty much either test dummy or block everything.

You know, Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain would have been just perfect if you could defend titles on exhibition. Sadly, if I want to play a title match in a wrestling video game, I have to boot in SD vs. Raw 2006 or 2007. And speaking of those games, 2006 was pretty big at the time but has not aged so well, imo. I prefer 2007, even if those mini-games got old fast. it had a better season and GM modes. Plus 2007 has a better roster overall, imo. Losing only to 2006 in the fact that it lacks Jericho and Christian(both left the company in 2005, so understandable).

Basically SvR07 felt like an update to 2006.

2006 was a broken game, imo. You couldn't even touch the CPU on normal difficulty. They'd counter everything. And I guess they fit so many scenes on a PS1 disc cause they only lasted about 10 seconds and it would only seldom give you one you haven't seen yet. As for finishing an opponent too quickly, I'd rather re-create an epic 20 minute match like you'd see on TV than just win in 2 minutes.

Discogs

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:37 pm 

2006 was my favorite of the SD games (after HCTP) because of the difficulty. It reminded me of playing the classic AKI games on Hard: the CPU knows your strategy so you need to always be on your toes. 2007 was when it started really dropping off for me (I hated those damn mini-games and the REQUIREMENT to have one Control move per grapple set), and 2008 was a joke only worthwhile for the ECW additions.

I'd be sad that the last AKI wrestling game was Def Jam: Fight For New York if that game wasn't amazing.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:17 pm 

It isn't really a wrestling game, though. It's a fighting game that uses the engine of a wrestling game. It did have Henry Rollins in it, though, and that always makes for a good time.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:29 pm 

dragons_secrets wrote:

I'm not a fan of mashing the buttons to get a submission but I like it better than just a prettymuch automatic tapout if they are hurt enough. Plus some submissions have a meter where all you do is stop it in the right place to escape or reverse a submission so it's not as strenuous to get a tapout from that unless you're against a submission expert. I always hated how the on the pre-HCTP editions, if you didn't tap out they'd just pin you for the 3 count right after anyway. The other thing about the later games is having to damage the right body part enough to get a submission. It's super easy to damage their head and body without trying but if your submission is an armbar, you end up having to do arm wrenches for 10 minutes to get them hurt enough.

You're right that the no limb damage thing in SYM was silly and unrealistic.

dragons_secrets wrote:

2006 was a broken game, imo. You couldn't even touch the CPU on normal difficulty. They'd counter everything. And I guess they fit so many scenes on a PS1 disc cause they only lasted about 10 seconds and it would only seldom give you one you haven't seen yet. As for finishing an opponent too quickly, I'd rather re-create an epic 20 minute match like you'd see on TV than just win in 2 minutes.

I hated how every 6-7 matches or so you'd get DQ'ed early in the match because the stupid ref got in the way.

And it is pretty hard to emulate the spectacle of a wrestling match in a video game. I think DOR 2 did the best it could in that regard and better than any SD! game I've ever played. Plus, Tag, Tripe Threat and Fatal 4-Way matches would last for quite a while since you could break grapples and even finishers in that game unlike in SD! games. Hell, even in Single matches, you gotta hit your opponent with several specials in order to put him down, especially since it takes longer for the ref to count from 2 to 3 in order to add drama to the match. I didn't like the momentum shifts much, though.

acid_bukkake wrote:
2006 was my favorite of the SD games (after HCTP) because of the difficulty. It reminded me of playing the classic AKI games on Hard: the CPU knows your strategy so you need to always be on your toes. 2007 was when it started really dropping off for me (I hated those damn mini-games and the REQUIREMENT to have one Control move per grapple set), and 2008 was a joke only worthwhile for the ECW additions.

I'd be sad that the last AKI wrestling game was Def Jam: Fight For New York if that game wasn't amazing.

Tbh, I don't remember how hard SvR06 was. I remember that with André the Giant and Triple H you could beat pretty much everyone. In 2007, Khali was the God Tier fighter. In HCTP it was Lesnar and Goldberg and in SYM it was Austin(the Stunner was DEADLY in that game).

HCTP was quite challenging in the highest difficulty level... but easy in the lowest ones. You could finish off your opponent in 2 minutes or so without even hitting them with your finisher... which was a good thing in season mode since beating your opponent without a finisher awarded you more experience points to level up your CAWs. However, HCTP on hard or SmackDown! difficulty levels? Holy shit, the CPU countered 9 out of 10 grapples/strikes of yours. And also countered about 3-4 finishers of yours.

One thing that really annoyed me about SvR06 was them taking out the entrances from gimmick matches. Fortunately, they put them back in in SvR07.

HCTP is still the best SD! played I've played, imo. And that is pretty noticeable in the Elimination Chamber match. It's just really well done in that game in comparison to 2006 and 2007.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:47 pm 

Anyone see "The Final Deletion"? It's worth it. Even if you're not a wrestling fan. It's just... so goddamn bad. So cheesy. If you aren't laughing then you have no soul.

Youtube: show

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:46 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Tbh, I don't remember how hard SvR06 was. I remember that with André the Giant and Triple H you could beat pretty much everyone. In 2007, Khali was the God Tier fighter. In HCTP it was Lesnar and Goldberg and in SYM it was Austin(the Stunner was DEADLY in that game).

Oh yeah, the other thing is that prettymuch any superheavyweight can beat anyone in 2 minutes cause basically any move does a considerable amount of damage regardless of their actual strength attribute. I remember the hardest challenge on the mini-games on 07 was beating Khali with Mickey James on the hardest setting. It was a challenge but it's doable.

And I saw The Final Deletion. I hadn't been watching TNA for awhile, but that shit was entertaining.

Discogs

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 am 

I must have no soul, then, because my god that was awful. It made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 am 

ratedgdr wrote:
I must have no soul, then, because my god that was awful. It made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

A) TNA really is pretty much a joke (despite having some great talent)
B) This whole rivalry between the Hardy's has been so bad
C) If you watch this as something serious, you're doing it wrong :lol:
D) It's basically if Tommy Wiseau filmed an episode of TNA

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 am 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
ratedgdr wrote:

I think its funny how they just announced that theyre changing the date/timeslot, since Smackdown is. Just about everytime that Smackdown has changed it's airdate/timeslot, so has TNA. If only Dixie wasn't in TNA, then they probably would've been successful, as a lot of the problems could've been avoided. I still shake my head when she "answered" the question regarding Vince Russo.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It isn't really a wrestling game, though. It's a fighting game that uses the engine of a wrestling game. It did have Henry Rollins in it, though, and that always makes for a good time.

I'll argue this by saying the limb damage and submissions are so perfect that FFNY is actually more of a wrestling game than any WWE title post-N64.
JohnTheDrummer wrote:
ratedgdr wrote:

A) We, as viewers, see it as a joke. The broadcast is still intended to be "serious" pro wrestling. If they were to go full-on b-movie chicanery, like Japan's DDT or SoCal's Hoodslam, then this would've been fine.
B) I can't think of any tag team that's split apart and produced more shit as opponents than Matt and Jeff. AMW may have had the shitastic Blindfold match, but they also had an incredible Texas Death Match, and neither of them were directly responsible for their booking.
C) I think this is a problem that plagues the entire post-Attitude wrestling landscape. Maybe it's because we're still in the days of "ironic" entertainment or maybe it's because the people actually given the reins for televised products are fucking atrocious at booking/writing, but there's no reason a "serious" wrestling product can't exist.
D) Which doesn't make it "good," just "laughably bad." The entire thing is executed so piss-poor that I'll be surprised if TNA lasts the rest of the year.

On a slightly more positive note, I've been watching more prime Misawa matches and can see why people went nuts over his stuff with Kobashi, Kawada, Taue, Hansen, Williams, and Baba. I don't think he's anywhere near the greatest as so many die hard's have called him (every strength he has is weak compared to similar traits of his contemporaries), but I'm far enough removed from the "MISAWA IS THE GREATEST" talks to not form the contrarian opinion by default.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:36 am 

The participants for this years Battle of Los Angeles looks AMAZING (yearly tournament put on by PWG)...

Adam Cole
Chris Hero
Cody Rhodes
Dalton Castle
Fénix
Jack Gallagher
Jeff Cobb
John Hennigan
Jushin Thunder Liger
Kamaitachi
Kyle O'Reilly
Mark Andrews
Mark Haskins
Marty Scurll
Matt Sydal
Matthew Riddle
Pentagón Jr.
Pete Dunne
Ricochet
Sami Callihan
Tommy End
Trevor Lee
Will Ospreay
Zack Sabre Jr.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:44 am 

That looks to be the most densely packed BOLA, in terms of talent, since 2008. You bet your ass I'm getting those DVDs.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:53 pm 

Anyone catch the first episode of the WWE CWC? Holy crap it's amazing. The whole atmosphere they are presenting is such a breath of fresh air and such a cool idea. I'm so stoked for next weeks episode since they advertised it'll have Tozawa and TJ Perkins on it.

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:24 am 

Sounds like they aren't wasting time signing some of them to full contracts, either. Ibushi and Gran Metalik so far.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 pm 

Would be cool if WWE remained as WWF, WCW and ECW still being around, and TNA and ROH still coming about.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 pm 

Here's a spreadsheet courtesy of r/SquaredCircle listing the entire draft selection by brand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1988628576

Quite a few WTF choices in there, especially as it pertains to Smackdown. Won't spoil it, but...damn.

Also, here's Cesaro's incredible promo from the Network draft coverage.

https://twitter.com/DeathToAllMarks/sta ... 5581065216

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:03 am 

[quote="Subrick"]Here's a spreadsheet courtesy of r/SquaredCircle listing the entire draft selection by brand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1988628576

Quite a few WTF choices in there, especially as it pertains to Smackdown. Won't spoil it, but...damn.

Also, here's Cesaro's incredible promo from the Network draft coverage.

https://twitter.com/DeathToAllMarks/sta ... 5581065216[/quote

Only surprises for me was Lesnar being drafted and some obvious NXT guys not being drafted.
I think what will happen is Rollins wins the belt back at Battleground and faces Reigns at SS, where he's a huge heel.
Theyll have a SD tournament for the new title, which will lead to Styles vs Cena, which hopefully Styles wins clean.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:04 am 

nestee8 wrote:
Would be cool if WWE remained as WWF, WCW and ECW still being around, and TNA and ROH still coming about.

Yeah, it would also be cool if the WWF were still the WWWF, Mid-South never dried up, FMW was still a contender in Japan, etc.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:13 pm 

I dug the draft. There were some things that made me scratch my head (like Big Show and Nia Jaxx being drafted before Cesaro...) but overall I am happy with it.

A lot of people complaining about how RAW has all the big names while SD gets "dicked"... but that's exactly what everyone was expecting, and I am pretty happy with the guys that Smackdown got. It gives a whole lot of room for guys to finally have a time to show off what they can do without having to make room for the big stars' matches.

Only thing I'd change would be putting Owens/Zayn/Neville/Cesaro on SD, otherwise I don't mind the choices. Really stoked on some of the NXT call ups though.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:55 am 

I don't think SD! got it that badly, actually. I mean they got Cena, Orton and Ambrose, the current WWE champion. And I'm sure WWE will eventually make brand exclusive titles. Othwerise, putting >Becky and Natalya on SD! won't make any sense. unless champions are allowed to appear/wrestle on both shows... but that would lead to shorter reigns. Remember how the Undisputed Championship got passed around like a hot potato in 2002?

SD! being live will be better for the brand. In the first Brand Extension days, they could never keep both shows at the same level. SD! was better than Raw in 2002 and 2003 and even got higher ratings than it and Lesnar, who were they building up as the next face of the company, was there. In 2005, moving SD! to Friday nights kinda killed it. And even if SD! was a better show for most of the Brand Extension er,a it was clearly the B show, no matter how often SmackDown wrestlers would win Survivor Series interbrand 5 vs. 5 matches or usually win then Royal Rumble.

In 2002-2005 WWE had a pretty big roster, but most of the former WCW and ECW guys didn't add much to the product. Remember Raw in 2003 with Nash and Steiner? Ugh. Waste of paychecks those guys were. And WWE still kept guys like Billy Gunn and Val Venis at the time when no one gave a damn about either of them anymore.

I'm usualyl open to Brand Extensions, but not when one brand is way stronger than the other. Remember the SD! exclusive PPVs in 2004-2006? God many of them were so bad.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:05 pm 

I will defend Val Venis' switch to Chief Morley any day of the damn week. That was probably the best gig he ever had and it's a damn shame it was cut short as a build to Chief Morley turning on GM Bischoff could have made Val into a much bigger star. I'm sure he doesn't care too much about it now, though, since he's a successful weed entrepreneur.

The first round brackets for PWG's 2016 Battle of Los Angeles tournament have been announced. It's a 3-night show, September 2-4, and it's been the highlight of the indie scene for 5-6 years now.
Quote:
Fénix vs. Will Ospreay
Kyle O'Reilly vs. Matthew Riddle
Dalton Castle vs. Jack Gallagher
Chris Hero vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger
Mark Andrews vs. Pete Dunne
John Hennigan (John Morrison/Johnny Mundo/Johnny Nitro) vs. Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne)
Kamaitachi vs. Trevor Lee
Jeff Cobb (Matanza Cueto) vs. Ricochet (Prince Puma)
Cedric Alexander vs. Mark Haskins
Marty Scurll vs. Pentagon Jr.
Cody Rhodes vs. Sami Callihan
Tommy End vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

O'Reilly/Riddle, Hero/Liger, Kamaitachi/Lee, Scurll/Pentagon Jr., and End/ZSJ should be fantastic, but I also think that Andrews/Dunne, Cobb/Ricochet, and Rhodes/Callihan could deliver huge. Rhodes/Callihan will be super hot, as Callihan's return to PWG after his NXT release was met with open arms and Cody's on a mission to prove that he deserves to be a ME guy in WWE.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:20 am 

Those tickets for BOLA are going to sell out insanely fast. I hope the regulars are able to get in because that is one hot card they have. It's weird, every year it just gets stronger and better and better. Last years had so many eyes on it due to the Lucha Underground guys coming in, now its just.... stacked!

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:17 pm 

So, some days ago I began to play some No Mercy, and here's my early thoughts on it:

- The CAW mode is pretty good. I made a Hogan and Batista CAWs and I think people would guesstimate correctly who they are CAWs of if they walked past me playing this game;
- So many CAW slots, considering a different attire for a wrestler can be a totally different wrestler;
- The amount of moves is crazy, as is the customisation;
- The variety of match modes surprised me. This game is nearly 16 years old and doesn't seem to lack match variety. the only glaring fault is the lack of Hell in a Cell matches;
- Each title has its story path which is kinda cool. I started out with the Hardcore title, playing as Triple H. Already won it. Gotta face Mark Henry before defending it on PPV;
- The gameplay is fairly similar to Day of Reckoning, differences aside. The Attitude bar really adds some tension to the matches.

Now, it is clearly dated, but I think I can understand why it was such a big dela back in the day. Makes me wonder why people still go back to it. How couldn't many wrestling games since then top it for many people?

I also tried to give KYR a try but the ROM I downloaded is slow as fuck during matches so meh.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:51 pm 

I at one point owned every Smackdown game from the WWF Smackdown up through SvR 2006. Best wrestling game series ever, in my opinion.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:30 am 

I've owned every Smackdown game they made on PS1 and 2. From the first one in 1999, all the way until 2011. Yet I only currently have 07, 08, 09, and 11. I don't play any of them except 07. The only reason I have the other ones I have is because I came across them for $2 each.

Discogs

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am 

dragons_secrets wrote:
I've owned every Smackdown game they made on PS1 and 2. From the first one in 1999, all the way until 2011. Yet I only currently have 07, 08, 09, and 11. I don't play any of them except 07. The only reason I have the other ones I have is because I came across them for $2 each.

As I've said, I haven't played any wrestling game that has come out after 07. Ill eventually try the PC version of one or two of the more recent WWE 2k games.

Every wrestling game I've played has had good and bad things, so it depends on my mood which ones is my favorite. But 'd say that SYM and/or HCTP would be by favorite ones if they allowed you to play title matches on exhibition. DOR 2 would be near perfect with that feature as well, but it'd still lag behind the other two games in terms of roster.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Now, it is clearly dated, but I think I can understand why it was such a big dela back in the day. Makes me wonder why people still go back to it. How couldn't many wrestling games since then top it for many people?

People still go back to it for two huge reasons.
1) Nostalgia. This game came out toward the end of the Attitude Era and features a roster full of WWF talent that were all memorable in one regard or another. There were no Drew McIntyre's on the shows back then, as even Too Cool and Bull Buchanan were treated as if they deserved your attention. There aren't many other games where you get Steve Austin, the Rock, HHH, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, the Hardy Boyz, Chris Jericho, Kane, Kurt Angle, Edge, Christian, Saturn, Eddie Guerrero, the Dudley Boyz, and more without either making them outright or waiting for DLC.
2) Gameplay. You can treat it like any other generic wrestling game and just try to spam moves as often as possible or you can work the methodical route and pick a limb. You can fly or go hardcore. There were obvious differences in how to play different characters (the bigger guys couldn't be lifted by smaller guys, the smaller guys play a little faster, etc.), and the "feel" of the matches were much more heavily inspired by Japan's style than it was the typical American "punch/kick/spot" one that has become the norm (which makes sense since it was based on the Japanese Virtual Pro Wrestling series). It's a good balance of legitimate depth and pick-up-'n-play, which could potentially neutralize an avid player's strategy with a few choice shots.

The DOR series was a solid take on it, gameplay-wise, but the AKI originals were like Fire Pro but without the headache-inducing learning curve. If you play DOR or any of the SD games it feels like you're playing a video game, but playing No Mercy/WrestleMania 2000/Revenge/World Tour was like orchestrating an actual wrestling match.

If you're enjoying No Mercy then I highly recommend WrestleMania 2000. It's essentially the same game, more or less, with a slightly different roster and a different CAW system (one I overall prefer). The gameplay has some limitations that No Mercy improved on, mostly the variety of moves, but WrestleMania 2000 is unique in having each wrestler approach a match as the actual performer would. Austin's less likely to grapple and more likely to throw punches, Ken Shamrock will try to make you tap at any opportunity he can, etc. It also has a ridiculously fun season mode that can sometimes find a Viscera/Mark Henry Iron Man match in the middle of a Raw card.

Soooooo, on current events...

I actually liked the parts of Raw I watched. I saw some posters on another board going nuts over it and tuned in, expecting their reactions to be hyperbolic, but I thoroughly enjoyed the tweaks in presentation and the focus on treating it like a sport. I've said for a few years now that if Raw were to feel more like a Nitro from '97 that it would bring back the disenfranchised die hards and maybe even attract a new audience, and it looks like I may be right: ratings went up a little bit.

Let's see how long they can keep this going in the right direction, creatively and ratings-wise.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:24 am 

Monday Night Raw was amazing. The new way they present it, the fact it was about THE WRESTLING, such a great change. Finn Balor looked like a million dollars. That guy is going to be huge, and that match between Sasha and Charlotte was SO GOOD.... much deserved...

Smackdown on the other hand, man, I dunno. I'm going to say the reason it was flawed was because the first match was a Battle Royal, which put everyone in it and left such little to do later on. The main event was good with a very curious choice going over, and Becky/Natty put on a good match (probably better than their match at Battleground), but overall everything really felt the same. Cool that Shelton Benjamin will be coming back though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:03 pm 

Beyond Wrestling's Americanrana show last night was great...from what I stayed for. The show started around 6 and was still going on when I took off just before 10, so I missed a few matches, but I saw the ones I really wanted to see.

Unfortunately, Homicide is a shell of what he used to be. He looks haggard, moves sluggish, and just looks like he doesn't care about his craft half the time. He had a few spurts of the Homicide of old, but going from the guy that he was (video below) to what he is now is just...I know 10 years can do a lot to people, especially with how fucked over he was by TNA and how shoddy his last ROH run was, but this is the guy who trained LowKi and was a major reason why ROH in 2006 was as great as it was (not to mention how incredible he was in TNA that same year). On the plus side, B-Boy's only gotten better, and I chatted with him a bit during intermission, revealing him to be so incredibly humble and just outright cool that I feel bad for not enjoying his work more.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:38 pm 

That's awesome to hear about B-Boy. He is wrestling here in Seattle in a week or two. Hoping to make it out to that!

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:44 pm 

Here's another neat video of CZW.

Spoiler: show

Last edited by nestee8 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:33 pm 

...you don't like to read the first post of a thread, do you?

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:48 am 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
Monday Night Raw was amazing. The new way they present it, the fact it was about THE WRESTLING, such a great change. Finn Balor looked like a million dollars. That guy is going to be huge, and that match between Sasha and Charlotte was SO GOOD.... much deserved...

Smackdown on the other hand, man, I dunno. I'm going to say the reason it was flawed was because the first match was a Battle Royal, which put everyone in it and left such little to do later on. The main event was good with a very curious choice going over, and Becky/Natty put on a good match (probably better than their match at Battleground), but overall everything really felt the same. Cool that Shelton Benjamin will be coming back though.

On the other hand, Smackdown was quite a bit better than Raw this week. Raw was still miles ahead of where it was, say, before Wrestlemania, but Smackdown was still better on the heels of two AMAZING promo exchanges from Ambrose & Dolph and AJ & Cena, plus an interesting insertion of Bray Wyatt into the title picture that could work for Backlash in September. Still really looking forward to both shows next week, and Summerslam on paper looks like it could be the show of the year, and it certainly looks on paper to be one of the best Summerslams of all time.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:49 pm 

Jesus, I forgot how much better Kyle O'Reilly got in the last few years.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 pm 

Everyone here needs to go watch the Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander match from tonight's Cruiserweight Classic episode. Legit MOTY contender from any promotion.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:58 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Everyone here needs to go watch the Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander match from tonight's Cruiserweight Classic episode. Legit MOTY contender from any promotion.

It was a REALLY DAMN GOOD MATCH, but I feel my expectations were waaaaay too high because I heard some live reports prior to it airing about how it was one of the best matches ever. I definitely need to go watch it again now that I know what to expect, but still... THOSE HITS NEAR THE END WERE JUST PAINFUL. I still found my jaw hitting the floor and myself clapping during the match :lol:

Gargano/Ciampa is still my Match of the Tournament so far. That was so good, even if I wish it would have gone 5-10 minutes longer.

FuneralDoomed23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:04 pm 

I watched the CWC yesterday and I am impressed to see the WWE letting wrestlers go the extra mile to make the matches look good. Ibushi vs Alexander was something to behold. Every move and emotion in that match was beyond extraordinary. I am a huge fan of the old puroresu matches of the past with Kobashi, Kawada, Akiyama and Misawa at the helm. The stiff shots the big moves and the incredible psychology without need for promos is what real wrestling is about, and I am ecstatic to see that in the WWE for once. Lets keep it going WWE...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next