Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am 

Love it or hate it, the 2021 selections for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been made.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will induct Foo Fighters, Jay-Z, Tina Turner, Carole King, the Go-Go’s and Todd Rundgren, while LL Cool J, Billy Preston, and Randy Rhoads will receive the Musical Excellence Award.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 am 

The 'Iron Maiden denied AGAIN' angst has already begun :D

https://www.loudersound.com/news/iron-maiden-fail-to-make-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:00 pm 

I,m not sure what's worse: that Iron Maiden has been denied again, that it took so long to induct Tina Turner or that they will induct fucking Jay-Z.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 pm 

Methuen wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if there's a conspiracy against Maiden or something. They can't be denied this much. :ugh:

Check out my reviews

Death By Wall of Text
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm 

Quote:
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Jay-Z

wat

The Rock and Roll HOF has precisely one amazing achievement: it somehow makes even the Oscars look respectable and worth paying attention to in comparison.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:58 pm 

Ah yes, famous rock musician Jay-Z.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:02 pm 

The letter from the Sex Pistols, to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sums it up fairly well.

Hidden for size

Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
The letter from the Sex Pistols, to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sums it up fairly well.

Hidden for size

Maybe Bruce Dickenson should send them the lyrics to 2 Minutes to Midnight every day just to screw the R&RHOF :-P

Check out my reviews

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:10 pm 

MRmehman wrote:

It's abundantly clear at this point that they have a different definition of "rock and roll" than the common person. But inducting hip-hop artists at this point is nothing new, with Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, and others.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:05 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Methuen wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if there's a conspiracy against Maiden or something. They can't be denied this much. :ugh:

The only “conspiracy,” is that not enough of, whatever very, very small group, of self appointed judges, actually likes them. It’s really just personal preference, and personal bias. They don’t happen to think Iron Maiden are all time greats. Their views of “rock and roll,” and “greatest rock and roll,” are really narrow, and they don’t seem to have much interest in heavy metal.

It’s kind of pointless, and great music doesn’t need this validation. However, if it’s about who rocks, the hardest, then having no Venom and Motörhead, after this long, shows their opinions are completely worthless. If they had been 60s parents, they probably would’ve told their kids, blasting Hendrix and Cream, and the Beatles vinyls, to “turn that crap down, that’s not real music, like Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong!”

Mang_Kanor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:40 pm 

Methuen wrote:

My dude I am tired of the Maiden Angst tbh.
Because WHERES THE ANGST FOR JOY DIVISION?
I have yet to see a list, just one list, to mention Joy Division in RRHOF snubs. Anyone I mention them of always devolves to the same argument of either:

1) "They so t deserve it because I never heard of them"
2) "I don't think they are good/influencial"
3) Grand Funk Railroad and Shea Stadium.

Son of a bitch, nobody cares about GFR anymore!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:55 pm 

MRmehman wrote:

He did collaborate with that other great rock institution Linkin Park for like a full album back in the day :-P

I think they have consistently maintained that it is a general popular music hall of fame at this point.

Is Oasis in there yet btw? They were pissed when Jay played Glastonbury back then haha that he penned a diss track for "that bloke from Oasis who said I couldn't play guitar - today is gonna be the day that I throw it back to yew".

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
and they don’t seem to have much interest in heavy metal.

Yeah, Judas Priest isn't in there either, which is just as egregious as Maiden. They're not fond of progressive rock for that matter, still not having Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Kansas, and others. Billie Eilish will probably be in there before some of these at this rate.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:24 pm 

How does this work? Is it pay to play? Don’t they nominate things, and people vote online, or something? Because, if they are dumb enough to just let everyone online nominate and vote, then we must enlist the trolls, to make Dying Fetus, or Goatpenis win.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
How does this work? Is it pay to play? Don’t they nominate things, and people vote online, or something? Because, if they are dumb enough to just let everyone online nominate and vote, then we must enlist the trolls, to make Dying Fetus, or Goatpenis win.

It's a mixture of 'electoral college' and pay-to-play is what I can gather - so what we need to do is put the idea into Elon Musk's head that Varg should be selected. It'd get far enough along to cause a few heads to explode I'm sure.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:02 am 

Mang_Kanor wrote:
Methuen wrote:

My dude I am tired of the Maiden Angst tbh.
Because WHERES THE ANGST FOR JOY DIVISION?
I have yet to see a list, just one list, to mention Joy Division in RRHOF snubs. Anyone I mention them of always devolves to the same argument of either:

1) "They so t deserve it because I never heard of them"
2) "I don't think they are good/influencial"
3) Grand Funk Railroad and Shea Stadium.

Son of a bitch, nobody cares about GFR anymore!
That's interesting that you mention Joy Division. I am very big fan of that band, yet I have never even thought about them being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Sham. They are eligible and were one of the earliest bands to play that style. You are right though, there is never even a mention of their entrance into the RARHOS.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:20 pm 

I'm more disappointed that Fela Kuti didn't make the cut tbh. Metal boomers whining about *Insert band here* not being included has made the Hall of Fame more relevant than it would've been otherwise. I'm desensitized to many of my favorites not being there but Fela would've at least been cool for representation sake.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:14 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Varg should be selected. It'd get far enough along to cause a few heads to explode I'm sure.

He’s only offensive, if you pay attention to him, outside of music. Most people never pay attention to any musicians outside of their music, hence the continued popularity, of Michael Jackson, and Pete Townsend. Dying Fetus, playing “kill your mother/rape your dog,” and the acceptance, on the other hand, people would get offended. But if they showed the lyrics on screen, then the judges would get offended, because it’s really about them.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm more disappointed that Fela Kuti didn't make the cut tbh. Metal boomers whining about *Insert band here* not being included has made the Hall of Fame more relevant than it would've been otherwise. I'm desensitized to many of my favorites not being there but Fela would've at least been cool for representation sake.

That’s the thing. They talked about him, to make it look like they care about art, rather than popularity, but they don’t. They probably never listened to Fela Kuti, and are just saying his name, to sound sophisticated. They just listen to the most popular stuff, whether it’s rap, hard rock, or blues, or anything else, and they’re really picky, and hypocritical about it. I think you’re right, we should probably stop feeding them attention. But, if it’s “about rock and roll,” and they don’t have the band that made the video for “hot rockin,’” they don’t even rock.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:38 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

That’s the thing. They talked about him, to make it look like they care about art, rather than popularity, but they don’t. They probably never listened to Fela Kuti, and are just saying his name, to sound sophisticated. They just listen to the most popular stuff, whether it’s rap, hard rock, or blues, or anything else, and they’re really picky, and hypocritical about it. I think you’re right, we should probably stop feeding them attention. But, if it’s “about rock and roll,” and they don’t have the band that made the video for “hot rockin,’” they don’t even rock.

At a certain point it's still the Hall of Fame, and while I know who Fela Kuti is, the average rock fan doesn't. There are lots of international artists who've made important contributions to their own musical culture as well as having an underappreciated impact on western music, like Ravi Shankar, Peter Tosh, Paco de Lucia, Isao Tomita, and many others, but most people without expansive musical tastes and/or education don't know who they are.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:15 pm 

Another year of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, another year of salt mining from social media. High key hoping they induct Cardi B just to see the reaction from pasty alcoholic dads.
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida

This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm 

Oh wow. I couldn't even remember him being nominated. That would have been something, I agree.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:42 am 

The CEO, of the RRHOF has said Iron Maiden are an impactful, influential band.

On the topic of artists like Jay Z, being inducted
Quote:
It's a big tent and everybody fits under it. It's an attitude, it's a spirit, and that's rock and roll

The full story on Blabbermouth, for those that care

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-ceo-says-theres-no-doubt-iron-maiden-are-an-impactful-influential-band/

Reply to topic