Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:42 pm 

Thought this might be an interesting topic -

Last.fm have started to police band pages, artwork, shout boxes, etc., that they've got down as offensive according to their rule book.

The below is a thread from the last.fm community support pages

https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/why-did-last-fm-decide-to-kill-a-bunch-of-artist-pages?

Below is an example metal band (Nokturnal Mortum)

https://www.last.fm/music/Nokturnal+Mortum

The whole show seems to be pretty random (apparently there's an algorithm) as they've done bands like NM, and Hate Forest, but Graveland and Burzum still have a full-service page. As pointed out by the last.fm community, [insert rapper with horrible lyrics here] hasn't been impacted.

Curious to see if anyone has any feelings on this one ?

I don't see a problem with the direction they've taken personally - they've not blocked the scrobbling / stats, they've just nuked the detail. Annoying that it ruins 'the look' of a top eight artwork view, of course.

Last edited by Methuen on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:49 pm 

Methuen wrote:
The whole show seems to be pretty random (apparently there's an algorithm) as they've done bands like NM, and Hate Forest, but Graveland and Burzum still have a full-service page. As pointed out by the last.fm community, [insert rapper with horrible lyrics here] hasn't been impacted.

My censored artists: Zyklon-B, Impaled Nazarene, OHL, Pungent Stench, Warhammer. Not censored includes Fanisk, Graveland, Lord Wind and Nazi UFO Commander. Works like a charm.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:24 am 

Of course, that was an idiotic move. At least nothing went wrong with the scrobbling of those artists.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:14 am 

I don't see the point in making the pages look like ass if they're going to continue letting them exist. I understand removing comment sections on racist bands and things like that, but removing the data and images seems like a very generalized tactic that probably catches a lot of things in the crosshairs that might not deserve it. Only one artist in my library was impacted by this new policy (and I don't listen to them anymore) so if these are the lengths they'll go to in order to clean up their site before it eventually shuts down, I'm fine with it I guess. It definitely sucks for listeners whose libraries were more heavily impacted than mine though.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:27 am 

Haven't noticed anything, but then again I've never listened to those bands you guys mentioned ITT so far.

darkofnight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:35 pm 

Only artist in my library I've found so far to be affected by this is NM. Would probably really only bother me personally if they nuked them completely to where you couldn't even scrobble them. Even then I understand that it's their call and I see where they are coming from.

Reply to topic