Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:35 am 

Completely missed this cartoon somehow, but I quite like JPMorgan as an AI, and the slliiiiight irony about Arsenal and Spotfy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/apr/27/david-squires-on-fan-resistance-and-the-fall-of-the-european-super-league

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am 

Dortmund won the Pokal! :D

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:33 pm 

Who do you think will win the Uefa Champions League?

Chelsea or Man City?

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:34 pm 

Unity wrote:
Dortmund won the Pokal! :D

Jadon Sancho & Erling Haaland were very impressive. Good finish to the season for them.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:38 pm 

Bodosa wrote:

Chelsea or Man City?

Though I have nothing against Chelsea, I'll be rooting for Man City because they have never won the tournament.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:57 am 

Unity wrote:
Bodosa wrote:

Chelsea or Man City?

Though I have nothing against Chelsea, I'll be rooting for Man City because they have never won the tournament.

I am a Chelsea fan, so I will be rooting for Chelsea.

But, I must confess Man City have a serious chance this time.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 pm 

Bodosa wrote:

Chelsea or Man City?

I am so happy to see two English teams in the finals again.

I might be an Arsenal fan but I respect Chelsea and was really glad for Drogba, Lampard and all of them lads for winning in 2010 against Bayern.

However Man City has never won the UCL. Pep has proved to be an exceptional coach despite all of the "tiki-taka" jokes. So I am kinda rooting for City here but in the end I just wanna see some good football. :headbang:

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:20 pm 

Alisson Becker! 95 minutes in, scores a header to make it 1-2 Liverpool. Incidentally, this is the first competitive goal a keeper has ever scored in the 129 year history of the club.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 am 

There's few goals I can recall celebrating as wildly as that Alisson header. Keeping the CL hopes alive after a wretched season.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am 

PETERG wrote:
Bodosa wrote:

Chelsea or Man City?

I am so happy to see two English teams in the finals again.

I might be an Arsenal fan but I respect Chelsea and was really glad for Drogba, Lampard and all of them lads for winning in 2010 against Bayern.

However Man City has never won the UCL. Pep has proved to be an exceptional coach despite all of the "tiki-taka" jokes. So I am kinda rooting for City here but in the end I just wanna see some good football. :headbang:

Thank you brother. I also respect Arsenal even though we are rivals. Remember Arsenal were the original invisible's.

Chelsea will be the underdogs as Man City are in really red hot form.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:37 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
There's few goals I can recall celebrating as wildly as that Alisson header. Keeping the CL hopes alive after a wretched season.

Yeah man. That goal was something else. Now, the place for 4th place has heated up.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 am 

Soooo the Greek Cup final happened yesternight.

Against many odds my team PAOK won 2-1 against Olympiacos with a great goal by an amazing assist in the 91st minute of the game.

Current Paok coach Pablo Garcia becomes the team's second athlete who despite not winning any titles with PAOK as a player he won as a coach.

A really frantic game with the referee holding on 7+ minute for stoppages.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:14 pm 

Ole's at the wheel lads! United truly fucked it against the team that finished 7th in a very average Spanish league. I am left to question how this United finished second. They are terrible.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:06 am 

And Liverpool finishing third after being terrible in the middle of the season... speaks volumes for the quality in England at the moment (yet somehow got three teams in the European finals).

Anyway, since Alaves' 2001 loss, 11 of the last 13 Spanish EL finalists have won the competition, with the 2 losers having played another Spanish team. Sevilla have 6 of those wins. I love little stats like that.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:20 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Ole's at the wheel lads! United truly fucked it against the team that finished 7th in a very average Spanish league. I am left to question how this United finished second. They are terrible.

By what standards is the Spanish league deemed "very average"?

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:04 pm 

I see no one wants to discuss Chelsea's tactical masterclass to win the Champions League against a tough Man City Team.

Thomas Tuchel has transformed Chelsea into a different beast.

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

No offense but, I also consider Spanish League to be very average. The competition is far less as compared to the English Premier League.

More often then not, it's a two horsed race between Barca & Real Madrid.
Occasionally Atletico Madrid pops up with a title just like this year.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:44 am 

and yet those 2nd rate teams from Spain often end up winning the EL

Bodosa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:08 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

Ofcourse, Europa League is the second division of European Football.
The second rate teams will win it of course

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:00 am 

Bodosa wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

But why doesn't the second rate English teams win more often at the expense of the second rate Spanish teams in the EL?

I'm certain that if we made a 20 team league of the top 10 teams from England and top 10 teams from Spain, the top 10 of the combined league would have more Spanish teams than English ones when that league was done. I'm also certain that would be the case if we made a 20 team league of the bottom 10 teams from the Premier League and the bottom 10 from La Liga.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

I was comparing it to the past few seasons. The top teams, especially Real and Barca are significantly weaker than they were two years ago. I know the league is heavily weighted toward the top end, much more so than say England, but the fact is with Barca and Real weaker, the league as a whole is weaker.

Riffs wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Bodosa wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

But why doesn't the second rate English teams win more often at the expense of the second rate Spanish teams in the EL?

I'm certain that if we made a 20 team league of the top 10 teams from England and top 10 teams from Spain, the top 10 of the combined league would have more Spanish teams than English ones when that league was done. I'm also certain that would be the case if we made a 20 team league of the bottom 10 teams from the Premier League and the bottom 10 from La Liga.

This is easy. The EL accepts 3rd place finishers in the ECL group stage. Quite often one of the English teams will finish here. Later in the tournament, the same teams will prioritise a top 4 finish in the EPL over a EL victory. The last quarter of the season is jam packed with fixtures, with teams often playing 3 games a week. They will field weaker teams in the EL and their first teams in the EPL to get that top 4 spot. Countries like Spain have the big 3 that will qualify every year in the top 4, and rotate that 4th spot between other club over seasons. Villareal, for example, finished 7th, long out of the running for the top 4 in the league, so they focused on the EL. When Sevilla last won it, they were already comfortably top 4, and again, could focus on the EL. England, on the other hand, often features a close run with the top 4, with perhaps 3-5 teams in the mix vying for places towards the end of the season, outside of perhaps 1 or 2 that qualify way ahead of the pack.

Riffs wrote:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:05 am 

I know there's some Barnsley fan(s?) here, and I was highly surprised to see that they have the former chief scout of my Swedish club Djurgården as a new CEO. Apparently Khaled El-Ahmad is now the first Swedish CEO in a British club.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:38 am 

Last night Sporting CP won their 9th Portuguese Supercup by beating Braga 2-1.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:02 pm 

It's official, Messi leaves Barcelona.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:59 pm 

would be nice if he goes back to Argentina, seeing him play for a different european club would be weird.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:44 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
would be nice if he goes back to Argentina, seeing him play for a different european club would be weird.

I'd much prefer this as well. I'm big on the legacy thing and jumping to another European club would tarnish his legacy somewhat. Going to China or Saudi Arabia would as well (though easier to erase from history since the large football sphere have no insight in those leagues). I think it would be a nice touch for him to go to an Argentinian club. Though to be fair he doesn't have much of a club connection in Argentina (to my knowledge) and no clubs probably have the money to secure him. If he feels he can perform on the same level for the next year I'd prefer for him to stay in Barcelona, do the world cup, and then retire. That would make for an awesome career and him doing something almost no players do nowadays (stay in the same club throughout their whole adult career).
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:59 am 

Messi will go to PSG. Bank on it, Lionel will at 50 mil a year.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:10 am 

PSG is the only viable option for Messi. The EPL is too physical, and he's often struggled against physical opposition. Man City are an option, but Pep's ruled it out. United aren't good enough. Chelsea could also be an option, but nobody is talking about this. Nobody in Italy has the money. Bayern could potentially do it, but I feel his salary might be too high even for them.

France offers the perfect the league in the sense there's little competiition, which guarantees trophies for Messi. He gets to link up with Neymar again, and PSG are a genuine Champions League challenger. They also have limitless funds.

Riffs wrote:

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:53 am 

Am I the only one who is appalled by the removal of the away goal rule?

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 pm 

Messi going to PSG would be the most boring thing so i hope not.

PETERG wrote:
Am I the only one who is appalled by the removal of the away goal rule?

idk yet, it does seem to be less relevant for the big games these days. However I've always had issues with the away goal rule if both games are draws.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:04 pm 

Messi has just signed with PSG.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:53 pm 

Though I knew that would be where Messi would end up, I wonder if Neymar, who already wanted to get out of his shadow before, at Barca, feels about it. Neymar is a softy too and was probably more comfortable playing in France.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:33 pm 

Unity wrote:
Messi has just signed with PSG.

Has there ever been less inspiring news in football? Given his stature and his talent this should have been genuinely exciting. Instead, he joins the one team where his influence is completely redundant. They'll canter to the league, and somehow fuck up the Champions League.

Riffs wrote:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:44 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Though I knew that would be where Messi would end up, I wonder if Neymar, who already wanted to get out of his shadow before, at Barca, feels about it. Neymar is a softy too and was probably more comfortable playing in France.

With the development of Mbappe, Neymar has probably worked out that he'll never win the Ballon Dor, which was his reason for leaving in the first place.

This transfer mirrors the Neymar transfer in so many ways. The Neymar signing has been so underwhelming. He's played 70 league games in 4 seasons. PSG have not even challenged for anything since he's signed that they wouldn't have already won, except the Champions League final back in 2020, which Neymar missed. For the money spent, he legitimately has made no impact. PSG likely would have performed very similarly in Europe to what they've done, and they should win their league every season.

Riffs wrote:

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:16 pm 

tomhat_ka wrote:
idk yet, it does seem to be less relevant for the big games these days. However I've always had issues with the away goal rule if both games are draws.

It just makes the second game feel less relevant and does not push for open playing with lots of goals. I don't know I might be biased but this is a really big chang for me as a spectator. :old:

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:26 pm 

I like getting rid of the away goals, make all games count as they should. If they have to go to PK's to finalize, so be it. No parking the bus, saving a lead on away goals.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:16 pm 

I agree about it being good that the away-goal rule is gone, and of course that it's highly expected and boring that Messi now is in PSG.

Anyway, how weak is Scottish football at the moment? Only a couple of months ago, Rangers finished as champions after an undefeated league season, became the first club since Celtic in 2016–17 to reach the 100 point milestone, won all 19 of their home games, equalled the league record of 26 clean sheets and set a new British record by conceding only 13 goals in their 32 wins and six draws.

Now what do they do? Get eliminated by Swedish Malmö by losing both games by 2-1, including at home where Rangers played the entire second half with one man more and had the lead. This bothers me alot since Malmö are already way ahead of my club Djurgården, and all other Swedish clubs for that matter, financially and now get even more money.

And Celtic have also been eliminated by some not too impressive clubs in recent years. Rangers and Celtic used to be fairly powerful in European competitions.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:37 pm 

Celtic and Rangers were both relatively powerful until around the time Rangers were sent into liquidation. I have some Celtic friends, and I remember at the time they thought Rangers going to the bottom division was the greatest thing ever. I discussed with them how badly that Celtic would suffer from the lack of competition, and was laughed at. Scottish football will never get back to the level they were at before. Sure, there might be one season in a decade where they might make a decent European run. Both teams have made Europan finals this millenium, but you won't see it again. The new European Conference does not apply to this statement though.

Did anyone see the allegations of Real Madrid attempting to leave the Primera Liga for the EPL? How fucking delusional is that club? I really would love it if their financial problems cripple them for a long time to come. Barcelona are completely fucked, yet the bookmakers still have them ahead of Atletico for the league, which is nuts. Legitimately Barca could struggle to qualify for the UCL next season.

Riffs wrote:

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:37 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Celtic and Rangers were both relatively powerful until around the time Rangers were sent into liquidation. I have some Celtic friends, and I remember at the time they thought Rangers going to the bottom division was the greatest thing ever. I discussed with them how badly that Celtic would suffer from the lack of competition, and was laughed at. Scottish football will never get back to the level they were at before. Sure, there might be one season in a decade where they might make a decent European run. Both teams have made Europan finals this millenium, but you won't see it again. The new European Conference does not apply to this statement though.

I have very little insight into Scottish football but I think there is a lot of truth in this kind of reasoning in general. Sure I'd love for one of my teams rival clubs to be relegated but I also want them to get promoted within a season or two. There needs to be competition and rivalry. Both for the quality of the teams but also for the atmosphere around the games,

oldmetalhead wrote:
I like getting rid of the away goals, make all games count as they should. If they have to go to PK's to finalize, so be it. No parking the bus, saving a lead on away goals.

Yes, I also prefer for the games to matter equally. Some could argue that penalties is a lottery which is true to some extent but I much prefer that to being able to win with away goals.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next