* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am 

Dembo wrote:
From the latest round in Bundesliga... ooops:

I don't know if the now unavailable video mentioned it, but direct goals from a throw in do not count. Had Zieler stepped aside and done nothing and let the ball go directly in the goal, it would not have counted. It counted because he tried to catch it and touched it, making it a valid goal. That's what makes it the most hilarious.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:26 pm 

PETERG wrote:
Unity wrote:
Well, there's nothing wrong with supporting clubs like Porto or Benfica, I just think it's sad when fans of those clubs find it illogical to support other clubs just because they have less titles. You should support a club because you like the club, not because of its titles. :)

Bloody right mate! I don't think that you choose a club over logic or titles or whatever but because you like it. I for example also support the mighty Arsenal. Why? Because in 2004 my little brain got astonished by Tierry Henry and his boys and their star-level football!

You don't choose your team.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
I'm laughing so hard at Manchester United. Solskjaer? Really?

Eight games, eight wins, and counting.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:42 pm 

Here in Portugal, Sporting CP just won the League Cup for the second season in a row! They beat Porto in the penalty-shootout. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:02 pm 

Here in Germany, Bayern wants to "chase" the BVB. Working out really well for them.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 am 

droneriot wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
I'm laughing so hard at Manchester United. Solskjaer? Really?

Eight games, eight wins, and counting.

The streak ended with 2-2 at home against Burnley.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:50 pm 

gkdfhvjc ijivjdäoijv öidjoidiubzguzss uish fiuhsv iush ushfuh hsfh ish iushduifhiuhiiuhisf usfhusde8fe8vvfvjfnovo

Sign this and you'll play for Manchester United.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:24 pm 

FC Nantes threatens legal action to get the 17 million transfer fee for Sala from Cardiff. They're still searching for his body, what a bunch of sick fucks.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 am 

Dortmund is making some outlandish comments about the team being young and some bad luck being responsible for playing five games in a row with no win. Obviously that's a load of crap, because the real reason is very clear. The whole reason Dortmund was exceptionally strong during the first half of the season is that for the first time in YEARS they had no major issues with injuries. Dortmund at this point simply is the best team in Germany and one of the best in Europe when everybody is in shape - Uli Hoeneß can whine about it all he wants. As soon as two, three or more important players drop out injured, everything's back the way it is before, making Dortmund what it has been for years: Good, above average, but not exceptional. Remove just three of the stars that carry the team and they go down to Leverkusen or Hoffenheim level, doing well but not dominating in any form. Only chance at retaining their lead in the league and having any hope against Tottenham is if they get people like Reus and Akanji back on the pitch and have them stay at work the entire rest of the season.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:16 pm 

The draw for the round of 16 in the EL:

Chelsea-Dynamo Kyiv
Frankfurt-Inter
Dinamo Zagreb-Benfica
Napoli-Salzburg
Valencia-Krasnodar
Sevilla-Slavia Prague
Rennes-Arsenal
Zenit Saint Petersburg-Villareal

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:12 pm 

Schalke is having problems this season and they wanted to show a good performance against Man City. It certainly was an entertaining one.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 am 

Frankfurt has a former Benfica player(Jovic) and Benfica a former Frankfurt player(Seferovic). Funny.

How are Frankfurt this season, Bundesliga fans?

I don't see Benfica passing them, tbh. We're also fighting for the league and the cup and don't have a squad for every competition. Perhaps going out to Dinamo Zagreb would have been better, and I honestly thought that was Lage's plan considering we played very poorly in the away leg against them which we lost, but I guess it was simply one of those bad days every team has?

I'm gonna guess the final will be Napoli vs. Chelsea. Just a hunch.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 am 

Festivus wrote:
Frankfurt has a former Benfica player(Jovic) and Benfica a former Frankfurt player(Seferovic). Funny.

I don't see Benfica passing them, tbh. We're also fighting for the league and the cup and don't have a squad for every competition. Perhaps going out to Dinamo Zagreb would have been better, and I honestly thought that was Lage's plan considering we played very poorly in the away leg against them which we lost, but I guess it was simply one of those bad days every team has?

Why are you so pessimistic, dude? To me Eintracht are perfectly acessible to Benfica.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 am 

Most of the time Frankfurt is absolutely incredible and an absolute top-tier team this season and they should be at least in the top three - but they're fifth because sometimes they have these bizarre inexplicable lapses as if the entire team suffers from jetlag.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am 

Unity wrote:
Festivus wrote:

Why are you so pessimistic, dude? To me Eintracht are perfectly acessible to Benfica.

I'm mostly referring to the fact that these two games will drain the team physically and that can cost us the championship, and we also have the Cup to worry about still. It's VERY UNLIKELY to win the 3 competitions, and it's a fact the EL is hell on players' bodies. So I kinda wish Zagreb would have progressed so we could entirely focus on the domestic trophies. We cannot afford to let the championship go away especially after the fact that this season we got 3 wins and 1 draw against the rivals in the league. The Cup is either a bonus or a trophy that you're supposed to win if you cannot win the league, so it's more unpredictable and anything can happen in those games.

Also, this isn't 2010-2014 anymore where we easily beat mid-table German and English sides for the most part. Benfica doesn't have as much money as it did back then anymore. And it's a fact we don't have a deep enough squad for 3 competitions. And I'm not confident in our chances for the EL this season. There's about 3 teams above us, and we're likely to face one of them in the semi-finals if we go through. It's not lack of confidence or fear, it's just being realistic. Just like I bet Porto fans aren't feeling very confident in their chances of winning the CL atm.

Our squad is promising but pretty young on average. And Lage didn't have much time to prepare the season since he only joined the main squad last month or so. He seems like a good manager, but most teams do well in the first few games with a new manager after the former one is sacked for bad performances and results. The good moment of form isn't gonna last forever and that showed in the away game against Zagreb and in our recent home game against Belenenses.

It's not that I don't think we have zero chances. Ofc we have good enough chances, but it's a fact Frankfurt seem strong this season, especially up front. It'd have been worse to draw Arsenal, Chelsea or Napoli, in theory, but I'd have preferred Slavia or Villareal. Anyway, it's the QFs, so expect most opponents to be tough enough.

This game can go either way, and you never know when injuries or yellow/red cards might happen and weaken your team.

Anyway, these are just my opinions, FWIW. They won't influence the outcome of the season at all.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 pm 

Yeah, I get your point, dude. Still, though it will be hard, you guys have chances IMHO.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:16 pm 

Unity wrote:
Yeah, I get your point, dude. Still, though it will be hard, you guys have chances IMHO.

Yeah, I can see us knocking Frankfurt out, but I don't see us getting past Chelsea. Now, if Slavia shock Chelsea...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm 

Exactly! ;)

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:53 am 

so i watched real - ajax.... now that was a match alright

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:31 am 

Only six hours to go. Hyped beyond description.

BVB!! BVB!!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Only six hours to go. Hyped beyond description.

BVB!! BVB!!

That absolutely could not have gone any worse.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 am 

Well Dortmund basically played like they all just woke up and went on pitch without any warm up or even a cup of coffee. I dunno where they all were with their minds, but definitely not in the game. What an awkward performance.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:04 pm 

Here's a fun idea: If Villarreal won the Europa League and keeps sucking in the Spanish League, they could be the first (I think) second division team in the Champions League next season.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 pm 

Pathetic, Frankfurt.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:27 pm 

Pretty good result considering we rotated our squad starting the game without our top scorer(Seferovic) and faced the flavour of the month German team of the season. That being said, we were lucky Frankfurt got one of their players sent off rather early in the match and João Félix had a great night. Also, 4-2 might look more impressive on paper but 2-0 would have been a better result, considering there's a thing called the away goal rule.

Football is a funny thing. When I saw the starting line-up I feared the worst. By the end of the 1st half I hoped we'd keep the 2-1 score or maybe score the 3rd one. But once we scored the 4th goal I hoped we'd score the 5th one. The Frankfurt scored their 2nd goal of the match and I feared they'd score the 3rd one near the end of the game.

Gonna be a tough game in Germany. We need to focus and not throw this opportunity away.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 pm 

Ajax is incredible this season.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:13 pm 

Awww yeah :thumbsup: Wantage Town captures the Hellenic League Shield for the third time in eight years. Hopefully this time they can catch on long-term up in the Southern League... and beyond!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:14 am 

ajax doing what i suspected would happen at the start of this season. They would have done well last year as well if not for the aneurysm that one kid got.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 am 

Referee decisions in favour of Bayern Munich have gone from suspicious to obviously manipulated. Don't know why it isn't under investigation yet, the club's boss is a convicted felon ffs.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:04 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Referee decisions in favour of Bayern Munich have gone from suspicious to obviously manipulated. Don't know why it isn't under investigation yet, the club's boss is a convicted felon ffs.

And I thought there was corruption only here!...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am 

In the struggle for promotion in the 2. Bundesliga, all the teams on places 2-8 lost, four of which had a home game.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm 

What Liverpool F.C. has accomplished today is historical and sensational. The impact Jürgen Klopp has had on the team over the past few years is admirable and outstanding regardless if the team is going to win a title this season or not. I can't help but root for the team because of the stunning and inspired ways it performs.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:22 am 

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ

Wow, what a result. To be honest, the Champions League campaign has passed me by a bit as I've been so invested in the domestic campaign, and I'd resigned myself to elimination after the first leg. But that was incredible last night. The build up is going to be ace, flags in windows of houses and shops and a wonderful atmosphere amongst the Reds in the city. Will be a tough match whoever we face but we've a great chance of winning number six in June

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:03 pm 

Wow, what a comeback by Tottenham tonight! So great to see them in the final with Liverpool, it sucks when the teams that win the CL are always the same! ;)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:44 pm 

FC Cincinnati has fired its coach, which I think is grossly unfair. Yes, the team only won 2 of 11 games to start this MLS season. But what did anyone expect? The team wasn’t even properly promoted from the USL, as North American soccer has no such system. The old, highly successful, franchise was dissolved and the new MLS team is staffed by an expansion draft - it’s not last year’s first place team coming up together; it’s a bunch of other teams’ castaways.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:06 am 

Boring with Chelsea-Arsenal in the EL final, and football anglophiles probably going crazy over the fact that both big finals consisting solely of English clubs, though not a single English manager... It would have been much more fun with Frankfurt in the final. And someone please tell Martin Hinteregger that if you're gonna shoot a penalty kick in the middle of the goal, wait until the goalkeeper have left that spot...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 pm 

Wantage Town 5 - 0 Aldermaston

:beer: With that bit of arse-whoopin’, Wantage capture their third sort-of consecutive Reading Cup! It’s invitational, and Wantage have now won the last 3 tournaments to which they’ve been invited - 2019, 2018 and 1983. Weird political interference barred the Freds from playing at the Reading Cup from 1984-2017; so naturally I view all tournaments in that period as invalid for not including the true champions. Hey, I’m still gonna call it a 36-year win streak!

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:24 pm 

And Benfica are Portuguese champions for the 37th time.

Portuguese league in the past 6 seasons:

13/14: Benfica
14/15: Benfica
15/16: Benfica
16/17: Benfica
17/18: Porto
18/19: Benfica

If we had not sacked our manager mid-season, Porto would have won their 29th championship.

The Cup final will be Porto vs. Sporting. First time there's a big main Cup final here since... 2008, I think? That one was also Porto vs. Sporting, which Sporting won. There has not been a Benfica vs. Porto final since 2004(we won that one) and a Benfica vs. Sporting Cup final since 1996 already.

Also, one of the reasons why I care less and less about club football outside of the Portugal is the increasing lack of parity even in the major leagues.

Italy: Juventus won its 8th championship in a row. A new record.
Germany: Bayern won its 7th championship in a row. A new record.
France: PSG won 6 out of the last 7 championships.
Spain: Yeah, we all know this one. It's either Real Madrid or Barcelona, except for Atlético de Madrid in 2014. Before that, the last time a "smaller" club won it in Spain as Valencia in 2004 already.

The EPL has had the most parity out of the major leagues, but at this rate, Man City might become the new Man Utd and win 7 out of 10 championships in the next couple of decades.

It's one thing for leagues from smaller nations to have the same club winning the league between 4 and 8 seasons in a row, but nowadays you're seeing that even in the bigger ones. This makes things more boring for neutrals. Not even in Portugal or the Netherlands has the same club won the league 7 or 8 years in a row. At this point Juventus or Bayern will be like BATE Borisov or Basel or even Rosenborg back in the day. They're already Rangers/Celtic, pretty much...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 pm 

Festivus, I’ve never had a problem with dynasties in sports, unless they win at the direct expense of my team!
For a counter-example to your argument: I’m primarily a hockey fan, and the NHL has quite a high level of parity - only two teams have won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the last 25 years. Yes, that means for a neutral every game is in doubt and that can be a positive thing. On the other hand, in a more unequal sport/league, if you cheer for a lower-level team, you get situations where your team beats one of the giants for the first time in 40 years. And that makes that particular occurrence, even if it’s an otherwise meaningless regular-season game, become an epic historical event.
Not saying I want my hockey team to be useless for a couple decades :lol: but I can see the appeal of embracing the inequality of soccer.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:33 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Festivus, I’ve never had a problem with dynasties in sports, unless they win at the direct expense of my team!
For a counter-example to your argument: I’m primarily a hockey fan, and the NHL has quite a high level of parity - only two teams have won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the last 25 years. Yes, that means for a neutral every game is in doubt and that can be a positive thing. On the other hand, in a more unequal sport/league, if you cheer for a lower-level team, you get situations where your team beats one of the giants for the first time in 40 years. And that makes that particular occurrence, even if it’s an otherwise meaningless regular-season game, become an epic historical event.
Not saying I want my hockey team to be useless for a couple decades :lol: but I can see the appeal of embracing the inequality of soccer.

I mean, ofc I don't mind lack of parity if it involved my team staying on top for years in a row. But I'm not very interested in following leagues from other countries where it's always the same team winning for several years in a row. 3 to 4 seasons in a row it's fine, but 7-8 is just overkill and kinda ridiculous to happen in a supposed major league. Italy and Germany have better leagues than Portugal and Holland overall yet you don't see Benfica, Porto, Ajax or PSV winning their national leagues 7-8 seasons in a row. At least not yet. Plus Juventus and Bayern have won most of their recent championships with massive point advantages. Benfica at best won the league 2-3 games before the end of in the last 6 seasons(2013/2014). A neutral person looks at Serie A and Bundesliga in the last 7-8 years and the idea they get is that Bayern and Juventus have basically been walking over everyone for the most part. Plus, Germany is an odd case of a big country where its top club ABSOLUTELY DOMINATES above everyone else. Compare the difference between Bayern München and Dortmund/Schalke/Hamburger... it's ridiculous. Bayern has more trophies than every single other German club put together. Always found it odd how in a big country like that where every club has supporters there's a single club dominating so much.

Ligue 1 is eventually turning into a Bundesliga v2.0 at this rate with PSG being filthy rich since 2013 or so.

I don't watch American sports so I have no clue what goes on there or how the wealth of each club compares to each other.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 31  Next