Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:58 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Yeah, Usain Bolt. He still speaks of his dream to play for Man U.

Man, I wish Latvia were stronger. Somehow Hungary needs to be in second place at the end of the qualifiers because no Ronaldo would double the quality of the World Cup.

We didn't really need him to win the last Euro. His injury was actually helpful to out team, I feel. But otherwise he behaved fairly well. He hit the PK first against Poland instead of pulling the same shit he did in Euro 2012 against Spain where he wanted to go last in order to be the hero.

Switzerland won earlier today. Gonna be hard for Portugal to go through if the Swiss don't drop many points...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 pm 

Italians always dive. That's been the truth since I was a little kid and will always be. Italy vs Germany friendly in 15 minutes and you'll see Italians falling and rolling on the floor in agony whenever a German coughs in their general direction. You'll see.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:38 pm 

Since you've mentioned rivalries in the other thread, I might as well also add my two cents.

I'd say the most hated national team here has been France's. Especially since they knocked us out in 3 semi-finals: Euro 84, Euro 2000 and World Cup 2006. They bring us bad memories. Plus around 2001 or so, they crushed us 4-0 in a friendly in Paris. Being a kid at the time, that humiliation was tough for me to handle.

Hence why winning last Euro against France in Paris was such a sweet victory.

...we don't really have many rivals. Other than France there's Spain and Brazil, if you can even call the latter a rivalry. We've had some memorable games against the Dutch and the English beating both in most official matches we've had, but we don't consider them rivals nor do they consider us as such either.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:12 pm 

Red Bull Leipzig leads the German Bundesliga.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:46 pm 

Some of you may remember Henrik Larsson (Feyenoord, Celtic, Barcelona, Manchester U). Today, the team he is the coach of got relegated from the highest league in Sweden, where they had been for about 23 years. The relegation was after a two-game playoff with a team from the second league. After the relegation, their fans got angry and here Larsson is standing like a martial artist or something. Image

Video, including when Henriks son, Jordan, who is a player in the same team gets attacked by his team's fans, around 02:00 in the video:

Anyway, I'm happy they got relegated since I despise that club. They were actually on their way of staying in the league since they drew 1-1 away and were secure via the away-goal rule, and then even took the lead in the 84th minute. Then they conceded an equalizer on a penalty in the 87th, at which point extra time was expected, but they managed to concede another goal in the added time so no extra time was needed to have them relegated.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:43 pm 

Man Dolberg from Ajax scored a pure hattrick today, 3 goals in 30 minutes. Youngest player since Van Basten to do so as he is just 19. This kid is going to be a big one.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 pm 

Then he should play for a big team. :D

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:45 pm 

The US Boys kicked Klinsmann finally. Ask anyone who's been in the German squad a decade ago or in Bayern after that, he's a desaster as a coach. Completely clueless according to everyone who worked with him in those teams. How the Americans hung on top him for so long despite just not delivering all that much is a mystery to me. Quite obviously the US team has a fuckload more potential in players than where they currently are. US football (aka soccer to them) made huge leaps in quality in recent years, and they should be one of the better teams in the world and not below mediocre like they still are.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The US Boys kicked Klinsmann finally. Ask anyone who's been in the German squad a decade ago or in Bayern after that, he's a desaster as a coach. Completely clueless according to everyone who worked with him in those teams. How the Americans hung on top him for so long despite just not delivering all that much is a mystery to me. Quite obviously the US team has a fuckload more potential in players than where they currently are. US football (aka soccer to them) made huge leaps in quality in recent years, and they should be one of the better teams in the world and not below mediocre like they still are.

I remember most American football fans being so excited when they signed him.

USA is a CONCACAF member, so it will never be a football powerhouse. Argentina's and Brazil's national team have won several international tournaments, yet their top players come to Europe to play. If Brazil and Argentina can't have a world top 3/top 5 league in South America, a continent where football is, by far, the most popular sport, then the MLS sure as hell won't in CONCACAF where there's not much competitivity. They can aspire, at best, at building strong national teams and good players, but they'll always wanna move to Europe to play in the top leagues. Plus, this means many of their potential top athletes will still prefer playing American football, baseball and basketball. The MLS is a good league to retire at atm. Top European and South American players were already doing that in North America in the 70s. Eusébio played in north America for a while near the end of his career, per example.

Of course, I cannot predict the future, so who knows what the landscape of football will be from 4 decades on, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 pm 

I was referring to the national team mostly. MLS has some good American players, but the reason I consider the US national team aspiring is because recently American players are starting to have star status in Bundesliga teams.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I was referring to the national team mostly. MLS has some good American players, but the reason I consider the US national team aspiring is because recently American players are starting to have star status in Bundesliga teams.

Oh there's definitely potential.

Americans have been playing for Bundesliga clubs for some years now. Speaking of that, Japanese players tend to end up at Bundesliga sides as well. I wonder why that happens? Protocols between clubs? German clubs scouting heavily the American and Japanese football markets?

Here we mostly send our observers to the South American market, but occasionally will get guys from the Balkans and such. there was a season where Benfica had like 6-7 Serbians in their squad.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:01 pm 

Koreans, too.

Yeah we always had our number of Americans, but nowadays a few of them are building a real status as stars. Fabian Johnson is indispensible for Gladbach, Pulisic the rising star at Dortmund, and of course in the lesser teams, Wood (at Hamburg) and Johanson (at Bremen) are in the process of displacing established European strikers.

-edit- Speaking of Japanese - Dortmund was 0-1 behind against Warsaw and a few minutes later Shinji Kagawa scored two goals. Though not wanting to be outperformed by a Japanese, his colleagues want to score now, too. 3-1, third goal by Nuri Sahin.

-edit2- Live ticker says Dortmund's defending is horrible, which makes sense considering they conceded four goals. They scored eight, though, which makes up for it. Almost half the goals in the Champions League tonight scored in that game.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:54 pm 

i watched a summary of that dortmund vs warschauw game and goddamn.

Also on Dolberg, he seems better and more complete than Milik who Napoli decided was worth 40 million.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:50 am 

Diego Perotti rabona chip - must see: https://twitter.com/Puskas2016/status/8 ... 9419149312

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:09 am 

Swansea-Crystal Palace...

The "90" goals were in 91 and 93.

I wonder for how long Alan Pardew will remain at Crystal Palace.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 am 

Brazilian Serie A team Chapecoense have been in a plane crash, which according to what I've read killed all players except for three. They were going to play in the finals of Copa Sudamericana, South Americas equivalent of Europa League, which was the biggest achievement in the clubs 43 year old history.

Tragic list, and I may not know about all cases of teams being in plane crashes:
1949 - Torino, entire team died
1958 - Manchester U, eight players died
2016 - Chapecoense, all players except for tree died

And also in hockey:
2011 - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, entire team died

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:13 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... orts_teams

Apparently the entire Zambian national team was killed in 1993.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 pm 

The most bizarre case was that African football team that died struck by lightning during a game back in the mid-late 90s.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 pm 

Most goals ever in the Champions League group stage - Borussia Dortmund.

Impossible to beat for Real Madrid - Borussia Dortmund.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:44 am 

Olympiakos fan here. Not going through our best period now...

Also supporting Liverpool since I was a kid (fan of Grobbelaar, Dalglish and Rush) and a little later Barcelona, thanks to a comic book, Eric Castel.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:10 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Olympiakos fan here. Not going through our best period now...

For the domestic league, it doesn't matter, since they will win it easily anyway. It's basically more of a one-team race than it is with Celtic in Scotland, and even there everyone know who's gonna win the league before it starts. Last year Olympiakos won 30(!) points before Panathinaikos on second place, won every league game except for two (one draw and one loss), and had the goal difference +65 which was 39 better than the team with second best goal difference...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:28 am 

Heh, well aware of that, in Greece since the era of Olympiakos domination (1996-97) there have been complaints (mainly from Panathinaikos and PAOK fans) that the problem really is that there is huge corruption and the league is bought. The truth is that, while 3-4 out of the 17 championships could be questioned (close calls, questionable decisions in the pitch in key matches), these are from the end of 90s, early 00s. The difference in dynamics between Olympiakos and the other teams in Greece in the past years (esp. after the crisis) has been so monumentally staggering that it's not funny anymore.
In short, we are the only team that actually has someone who pays a lot of money and brings great players. We've had Giovanni, Karembeu, Rivaldo, Mirallas (I saw there is an Everton fan here), Yaya Toure in our squad in the past, amongst others, we have the most modern football stadium in the country (and best - by far), we have the best training grounds and so on. Our opponents pay peanuts (if they even have those) and just repeat the mantra "football in Greece is corrupted". Amazingly enough, even if the fans of other teams realize that their teams are basically shit, they fully embrace the idea that they are shit because "we have condemned them to be shit by snatching the Champions League money from them, which is unfair".

This is a problem for Olympiakos as well. We know we will win the championship no matter what, we know that our opponents' owners are cheap fuckers who won't pay serious money for their squad and they will not change because their fans are gullible or so fucked up in the head by the lack of titles that they don't do anything to put pressure on said owners. Which means that our own owner, knows fully well that he doesn't have to pay that big money either and even if he did, he wouldn't because really, which great player today would want to come to such an impoverished league? Only young people who want a shot at CL would (and did) come. But now, since all other teams in Greece are shit, we've dropped to the point that we do not send our champion directly to the CL groups but in the qualification rounds.

And we have become so much less than before that we can't get passed those. Honestly, I am glad we're not in the CL this year because we have the worst defense we've had in DECADES. We're good in the front and very good in the center (usually) but at the back? Any serious team would have a party with us and if we go to the next rounds in EL, it is going to be painful to watch. Mark my words. We're playing today with APOEL from Cyprus and normally that would be a team I wouldn't be scared of. At this point, I don't see how they're not going to score with the clowns we have in defense.

Hence, the not going through our best period now.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:14 pm 

Only big-ish names to drop out were Nice, Southampton and Inter.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:54 pm 

man that game besiktas played vs kiev was something alright.
Everything went wrong for besiktas, attempts that would normally miss got in and a unjust red card + penalty.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:59 am 

Why would anyone want to play for Garbage United?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Honestly, I am glad we're not in the CL this year because we have the worst defense we've had in DECADES.

Mark my words. We're playing today with APOEL from Cyprus and normally that would be a team I wouldn't be scared of. At this point, I don't see how they're not going to score with the clowns we have in defense.

Look at the first goal. Seriously. it's an own goal too.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:41 am 

I'm assuming this thread is also the place for the sport of European football, played in North America? I just saw Toronto FC lose the MLS championship to Seattle :( They were the first Canadian team in MLS, and though Montreal and Vancouver have since joined, Toronto is still special to me. The game was rather tedious, with both sides content to fart around for two hours and gamble on penalty kicks. Nothing like the fantastic two-game aggregate conference final before it. But regardless, the electric, practically European level with which Torontonians have embraced this team augurs well for the sport in Canada. Maybe we'll get make the World Cup in Qatar 2022; or better yet, maybe FIFA will change its mind
and award the tournament to a country that has grass :)
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:43 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I'm assuming this thread is also the place for the sport of European football, played in North America? I just saw Toronto FC lose the MLS championship to Seattle :( They were the first Canadian team in MLS, and though Montreal and Vancouver have since joined, Toronto is still special to me. The game was rather tedious, with both sides content to fart around for two hours and gamble on penalty kicks. Nothing like the fantastic two-game aggregate conference final before it. But regardless, the electric, practically European level with which Torontonians have embraced this team augurs well for the sport in Canada. Maybe we'll get make the World Cup in Qatar 2022; or better yet, maybe FIFA will change its mind
and award the tournament to a country that has grass :)

Yes. It is a thread for football/soccer/calcio/etc. played all over the world. The reason why the OP added "European" was in order to avoid American users thinking this would be about their type of football. Maybe it'd be better to rename this World Football, Association Football or Football/Soccer discussion.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:54 pm 

The word "European" is a good way to keep the word "soccer" out of this thread. "Association Football" of course would be more accurate.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:31 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The word "European" is a good way to keep the word "soccer" out of this thread. "Association Football" of course would be more accurate.

I don't really have a complex with the word "soccer" to be honest. I don't care that English speakers form the New World use it.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:41 pm 

And the term "soccer" was actually invented in England, via calling it "association football" to distinguish it from the other forms of football, such as rugby football.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:17 am 

droneriot wrote:

If the Americans want to use the word soccer it doesn't bother me. To almost everyone else just saying football means European Football however. We instead refer to the NFL and its college equivalent as American Football. Outside of the US American Football is a tiny sport and there is little risk for confusing the two.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:17 pm 

And Dortmund it is. I just wanted to avoid Barcelona, so I'm not really upset about this. It's the Champions League. Can't expect piss easy opponents most of the time.

It's tough, especially considering that Benfica and Portuguese sides in general have trouble dealing with Teutonic Füssball, plus obviously BVB won't have over 9000 guys injured by February any more. But it's not impossible. I look forward to this match-up, which has the potential to be entertaining. Who knows if, on a good day or two, we might not at least pick up a good result in one of the legs? And it's gonna be fun to see those yellow guys in Lisbon again.

Porto got Juventus. I don't see them knocking the Italian side out. Also, fun fact, Porto have never beaten Juventus and they're still bitter about the 1984 Cup Winners Cup final.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 pm 

For the 100000th time PSG vs Barcelona.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:28 pm 

metroplex wrote:
For the 100000th time PSG vs Barcelona.

Didn't we also have Bayer Leverkusen vs. Atlético de Madrid last season? I mean, considering it's usually the same teams from the same countries reaching the later stages in the last few years, ofc match-ups like that one are bound to happen 2-3 times in 5-6 seasons.

Pretty common match ups in the group stage are Porto vs. Shaktar and Porto vs. Dynamo Kiev.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 pm 

I think Bayer vs Atlético was the season before last.

Bundesliga is a lot different in rankings so far this season, so next Champions League season you might see some new faces.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 pm 

Great, Arsenal faces Bayern, again. I don't really follow any leagues except for the Premier League, so I have no idea how Bayern are doing this season. I'm sure they're on top of their game as always, so it will definitely be a tough few games. Arsenal are in great shape this season.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:26 pm 

Bayern is playing their weakest season since the year Dortmund last was champion.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:17 am 

droneriot wrote:
I think Bayer vs Atlético was the season before last.

Bundesliga is a lot different in rankings so far this season, so next Champions League season you might see some new faces.

That might be bad for the league's ranking considering some of those sides lack experience in the competition. For whatever this is worth.

Not gonna make predictions for who goes through and who gets knocked out. Lots of things can happen to every team until February. Injuries, bad form, Winter market signings, etc.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:15 am 

im sure arsenal will fail in spectacular fashion like usual

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next