Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 pm 

Smalley wrote:

This article is essentially "haha woman-on-man domestic abuse is so quirky sounds like a you problem hun". Further proof that journalists are the scum of the Earth, I'm ashamed of living on the same planet as these people.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:05 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
raumr wrote:
I don't know if it made international news, but we had a very bad mass shooting in Oslo this Friday.

My sister lives in Norway not too far from Oslo or where that guy killed people with the arrows a while ago. She was in the area that night but wasn't at that particular location. Really sucks to hear shit like that happen. My family is originally from Pakistan but my dad always spoke highly of Norway since he lived there in the '60s/'70s. He plans on going back actually next month. While I'm not Muslim anymore, I have a bit of extra hatred for these Islamic terrorist assholes.

Sorry I didn't catch this reply at the time. I'm glad to hear that your family has a positive experience of Norway. We have our problems as any other country when it comes to integration, and racism is still a big problem, but the Pakistani communities have been here since the 60s and 70s so I grew up with many fellow students with background from Pakistan from childhood and up. Some where 3rd generation immigrants. It's just a part of the makeup of the Norwegian population at this point.

And yeah I hate those Islamist/Jihadist assholes too. I know they don't represent Muslims in general. One in particular in Norway is Arfan Bhatti. He is the stereotype of a Muslim extremist. Former criminal gang member who found God, grew a beard, and became an Islamist. He had contact with the shooter. And he has previously recruited people and given them a ride to the airport to join ISIS.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:55 pm 

Man, I was gonna make a fun 4th of July thread so we could talk about fireworks and shit, but now it just feels wrong cause of that shooting. Of course it's already getting politicized too.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Man, I was gonna make a fun 4th of July thread so we could talk about fireworks and shit, but now it just feels wrong cause of that shooting. Of course it's already getting politicized too.

The shootings in America have been bad, but lately, they've gotten to a point where we can't even celebrate the Fourth of July without some jackass wanting to take the lives of millions of people for the sake of it. At least the perpetrator was arrested.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:56 pm 

raumr wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
raumr wrote:
I don't know if it made international news, but we had a very bad mass shooting in Oslo this Friday.

My sister lives in Norway not too far from Oslo or where that guy killed people with the arrows a while ago. She was in the area that night but wasn't at that particular location. Really sucks to hear shit like that happen. My family is originally from Pakistan but my dad always spoke highly of Norway since he lived there in the '60s/'70s. He plans on going back actually next month. While I'm not Muslim anymore, I have a bit of extra hatred for these Islamic terrorist assholes.

Sorry I didn't catch this reply at the time. I'm glad to hear that your family has a positive experience of Norway. We have our problems as any other country when it comes to integration, and racism is still a big problem, but the Pakistani communities have been here since the 60s and 70s so I grew up with many fellow students with background from Pakistan from childhood and up. Some where 3rd generation immigrants. It's just a part of the makeup of the Norwegian population at this point.

And yeah I hate those Islamist/Jihadist assholes too. I know they don't represent Muslims in general. One in particular in Norway is Arfan Bhatti. He is the stereotype of a Muslim extremist. Former criminal gang member who found God, grew a beard, and became an Islamist. He had contact with the shooter. And he has previously recruited people and given them a ride to the airport to join ISIS.

Having been born in the USA, especially the Seattle area, I've grown far too accustomed to western living and am not ashamed of it like others in the community. Other Pakistanis stay on that path their parents laid out for them (arranged marriage, Islamic, slightly xenophobic) which keeps them tied to the "old country" and that very conservative mindset, no matter how moderate they may be. Helps that I was never properly taught my parent's language, so that was a barrier that kept me from siding with my asian heritage.

My dad's in Norway right now but I can bet you he'd be staying around mostly Pakistanis and not any white people (ironic considering that half of his kids married whites, and he's got mixed-white grand/great-grandchildren). At 80 years old he's stuck in his ways. Would love to go to Norway, possibly even live there if things get too dicey here, but I'm way too much of a hermit to make that big a leap.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:21 am 

What are your opinions on this genre name: “buttgaze?” I started using it, to describe that stuff that Protestant churches play, which they call “praise and worship music.” It sounds kind of like shoegaze, but the vocals are like Christian butt rock(which is what most butt rock bands are). Some Christian thing, down the road from me, which is some kind of summer camp, has been playing this crap, really loud.
I think it should be called buttgaze, because the priests usually form these churches, to coerce members into sex, while telling everyone else not to do it. Some of this scene make overpriced effects pedals, to sell to the musicians, because the lord needs $2000 USD of reverb/delay effects, to praise him.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:18 pm 

^ I don't think so, there might be confusion between that and blackgaze, which is a much less shitty genre. Most of the time.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm 

Ok so Mgla was supposed to come to Greece in September 2019. However their tour bus got a puncture somewhere around in Serbia.

I never actually deleted the pdfs of the tickets and completely forgot about them but holy fuck they are announced to play on 9th of September and 10th of September. And those tickets from 2019 are still relevant!

So happy to finally see them. Been listening to everything from "Presence" to "Age of excuse".

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:08 pm 

Can't decide which Ruins of Beverast album to listen to, between Exuvia and The Thule Grimoires. My indecisiveness will be my downfall.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:44 pm 

Something I have noticed regarding Master of Puppets.

Twenty years ago, you could not find a bad word about this record.

Now, opinions are much more mixed.

:roll:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:25 pm 

Yeah, so?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:13 pm 

^

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:54 pm 

I didn't want to make a thread about it cause I don't think enough people would be interested, but the new ColdWorld song has me excited.

Leet_Speaker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:45 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

I mean yeah. People's tastes change over time. I used to think Slayer was the most hardcore brutal band ever, and that it couldn't get more violent then that. People's opinions about a record change over 36 years.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:37 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
^
Yeah; I mean, personally Master Of Puppets has been one of my all-time favorites for nearly a quarter of a century now, but even I don't care if the consensus seems more mixed now. I mean, so what? Just like what you like, and don't worry about other people's opinions so much.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:17 am 

Internet has given a platform and an echo chamber for all kinds of fringe views, and provided tools that reward people for controversial takes with attention. Some people conflate attention for relevance, or just can't resist stirring shit up.

Master of Puppets has also aged. That old quote about Shakespeare is extremely relevant when it comes to current appreciation of Metallica. "I don't understand all the fuss about Shakespeare. It's just one cliché phrase after another, strung together by a plot you've already seen a million times."

By the time I was getting into metal, as a pre-teen, Master of Puppets was already several generations behind. The bands that I got into metal with were influenced by bands who were influenced by Metallica.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:55 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

"I have unpleasantly come to the realization that the status quo can change over time."
- Man shocked that people do not unanimously continue to praise an album after nearly fourty years.

Snarky comments aside, I like Master of Puppets. The titletrack alone justifies its existence, probably on the top ten of classic metal songs of all time.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:19 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
Smalley wrote:

This article is essentially "haha woman-on-man domestic abuse is so quirky sounds like a you problem hun". Further proof that journalists are the scum of the Earth, I'm ashamed of living on the same planet as these people.

I do not know why journalists write stuff like this nowadays. I think that with all the propaganda and the second Cold War emerging journalists are being reduced to mindless trolls; minions who can sprout enough numbers to form an opinion.

This is so wrong in so many ways. My mom said that there were journalists from Greece in 1990s that went on their own in Kosovo and Sarajevo to actually capture the news about the wars there. Damn talk about being dedicated to your job.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:08 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

"I have unpleasantly come to the realization that the status quo can change over time."
- Man shocked that people do not unanimously continue to praise an album after nearly fourty years.

Ok, yeah that kind of explains it. Good.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:28 pm 

Finished making the cover for my light novel, and now I feel somewhat accomplished.

Too bad I'm still unemployed with zero callbacks or interviews. :ugh:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:31 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Finished making the cover for my light novel, and now I feel somewhat accomplished.

Well, that second part sucks, but at least you got something done. Anyway, I actually know a guy on another Metal forum who's been getting into writing/publishing his own novels, so would you maybe be interested in getting in touch, and trading notes on writing or whatever?

ThStealthK wrote:

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:04 pm 

Rapper Mystikal from Louisiana has been arrested for sexual assault for the second or third time ( He has been publicly accused three times as far as I know). The last two times he got off pretty easily. Let’s hope the scumbag get the maximum sentence this time. I mean how many victims does he have to make before they lock him up and throw away the key?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:37 pm 

PETERG wrote:
Ok so Mgla was supposed to come to Greece in September 2019. However their tour bus got a puncture somewhere around in Serbia.

I never actually deleted the pdfs of the tickets and completely forgot about them but holy fuck they are announced to play on 9th of September and 10th of September. And those tickets from 2019 are still relevant!

So happy to finally see them. Been listening to everything from "Presence" to "Age of excuse".

Saw them recently in Ireland. They definitely still got it! Should be a great show.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:09 pm 

Dead Congregation and Blood Incantation are playing Sydney this October!! Already got my tickets, and have seen them live before, but man I'm keen as hell to see DC live again. They slay live.

Also some asshole at work has been coming in sick as fuck for a week and has pretty much infected the whole workshop (including me) with COVID. Fuck you, you piece of shit :finger:

My collection

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:06 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Sorry to hear about the interviews, I hope things turn around soon. But good job on the cover, man. Finishing a book is indeed satisfying as hell. I've actually got two books published with a smaller US publisher with the third one coming this fall rounding off a trilogy. Let me know if you need any pointers getting your stuff out there.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Kilpatrick
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Can't decide which Ruins of Beverast album to listen to, between Exuvia and The Thule Grimoires. My indecisiveness will be my downfall.

Go in order. Start with Exuvia (A really great record btw) and them listn to Thule Grimoires (also an excellent album).

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:40 pm 

How come albums of re-recordings are considered proper full-length releases on MA? Examples include Sodom's new 40 Years at War, Burzum's From the Depths of Darkness, Gorgoroth's (fucking dreadful) Under the Sign of Hell 2011, Amorphis's Magic and Mayhem, etc. Makes infinitely more sense to label them as compilations, though I don't see any reason why "Re-Recording" can't be added as a release type. It's just something that's always bothered and confused me when I look through a band's discography here.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm 

I was out walking my dog just now for a night walk, and a huge fox just passed us by on the road. I have seen foxes before since we live close to the forests, but this one was very big and it got really close. 1-2 meters max, and it paid us no mind. This is close to a forest, but it was on a main road with plenty of houses and parked cars. I didn't think it would attack, but I remembered reading that rabid animals can go crazy and attack humans and pets.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:37 am 

I don’t know what foxes are like, in your part of the world, and I never see them, where I live, but it doesn’t sound rabid, if it was ignoring you. Where I live, coyotes are very common. My dog is about the same size as one. She hunts rats, and gophers, and chases off deer and turkeys, and is loud and aggressive enough, to scare coyotes off, without being dumb enough, to follow one too far(they like to use one as bait, to draw a target to an ambush. They can kill small dogs, and cats, and wound children, but that’s rare. There are also two cat species, one smaller one, and one that can weigh 100-150kg, although the I’ve never seen one of the larger ones(but I’ve seen evidence of their kills, and tracks). Those can kill you, but are supposed to be really cowardly, and energy efficient, and mostly kill deer, by dropping out of trees. The one case, where one should take extra caution, with any animal, is parent animals, with children. If you see multiple cats, it’ll always be a mother, with kittens, in which case, the mother will choose to fight you to the death, rather than retreat.

I don’t know what it’s like, where you live, but it doesn’t sound very dangerous.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:10 pm 

You are right, and I didn't really think it was rabid, but it did occur to me at the moment. My dog is also a bichon frise (not big!) so I was a bit worried for it too. It just calmly paced past us as if it was some dog with a sense of direction. All other foxes I've seen in the area have been way more hidden and run when they see a human.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:47 pm 

Foxes in some parts of the Argentinian Patagonia often become used to human presence and activity, so it's not uncommon for some of them to get into into neighbourhoods and just wander around, especially in rural areas. They're usually not dangerous to anything bigger than themselves, though they can be an issue for people who keep chickens and the like.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:01 am 

Sounds like here; I've had a full-size fox just casually walk out of my backyard in full daylight not giving a shit about the person near it.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:06 pm 

They are very beautiful animals, it's quite an upsetting experience to encounter a rabid one. They are in a lot of pain in those cases, they have to be put down.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:29 pm 

Razakel wrote:
How come albums of re-recordings are considered proper full-length releases on MA? Examples include Sodom's new 40 Years at War, Burzum's From the Depths of Darkness, Gorgoroth's (fucking dreadful) Under the Sign of Hell 2011, Amorphis's Magic and Mayhem, etc. Makes infinitely more sense to label them as compilations, though I don't see any reason why "Re-Recording" can't be added as a release type. It's just something that's always bothered and confused me when I look through a band's discography here.

"Compilation" definitely doesn't feel like the right choice IMO, especially for albums that copy the tracklist of an older album 1-for-1. By the logic you're proposing, any debut album where the songs are re-recordings of demo-era songs would also need to be labeled a compilation or re-recording (is Altars of Madness a compilation? How about Kill 'Em All?). It seems cleaner to keep it simple and consider any full-length, non-demo release where the majority of the recordings have never been released before as a full-length.

Also, only partially related, but I've been in talks with some bigger labels for my own music, and as I've navigated the process of negotiating a music contract, I've started to gain some sympathy for things like re-recorded material that typically turn fans off of bands. Not sure how many people here are aware, but generally when you sign with a label (at least a label big enough to sign a contract with, not just an email exchange of "OK we'll release 300 copies of your album on CD"), you also give them total ownership over the recordings, forever. So I can see how this would produce scenarios like the following:
  • A label you were previously signed to has ownership of the masters for your original release, and you want to re-record the songs so you can do whatever you want with them (e.g. the Taylor Swift situation)
  • Your new label wants to be able to cash in on your band's biggest hits, but your previous albums are owned by a different label, so they require you to re-record an entire album or the band's greatest hits so that they can own those specific recordings and get a portion of the streaming/sales (this is almost certainly why Under the Sign of Hell 2011 exists)
  • You are contractually bound to give your current label a certain number of albums to release, and you really want out of your contract, so you offer them a re-recording of one of your classics, allowing you out of the contract sooner without writing another album for the label or needing to be bought out

I think this is important to call out, as I know I've seen people (myself included) have a take like "why is the band insisting on re-recording their old songs? They'll never be able to top their original work! Cash grab!" and I'm now realizing that a lot of times they might not really have a choice/it might not be the band's decision.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:24 pm 

I'm not sure of the correct place to ask this, but is the website itself down for anyone else? Metal archives home page won't load for me, but the forum works fine.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:59 pm 

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday too, when I tried to get on. The main page is working for me now though, so I guess it's fixed.

ThStealthK wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:40 am 

Thanks for the reply, MutantClannfear. Good post and good points, but I still don't understand why "Re-recording" can't be implemented as a release type. I guess it's trickier than I thought, though, given your examples of bands re-recording demo-era songs for later full-length albums, but still, the albums I mentioned in my querying post are 110% not proper full-length albums (I guess aside from Gorgoroth's, which is a front-to-back re-recorded particular album).

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 pm 

I don’t know if it’s just my phone or what but since early this morning the main page doesn’t work and when it does it takes forever to load pages. Same thing on my computer, I’m about to throw it through the fucking window.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:52 pm 

I'm getting ridiculously slow speeds as well and also weird "checking to see if the connection is secure" messages that I've never seen before.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 am 

Happening for me too right now. Can't load band pages properly, or at all, super slow, missing other versions, or they won't load at all. Super strange.

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321 ... 332  Next