Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:56 am 

You can tell they've had a really weird audience ever since the Black Album. I also think it's funny whenever they get one of their heroes out, too. Metallica bring out King Diamond, Biff Byford or Lemmy and 90% of the audience might not know them. Hell, even if they do know Lemmy - Metallica play 'Damage Case' not 'Ace of Spades'. :(

I can safely say I'll never see Metallica, even if I would like to, their ticket prices are just too high. That, and sober James Hetfield is one of the worst frontmen ever. "Greetings, Metalli-friends - are you alive?".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 pm 

I'm just posting to show off my new signature.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Perhaps I take it for granted, but I love the atmosphere around metal shows, the people there, the aesthetics, the rituals, and everything else that goes with it. It felt kind of strange to be out of place having long hair, wearing all black and a band shirt at a Metallica show. I knew most of the audience would be dads, kids, and moms... but I expected to see at least, you know, some metalheads. Long hair, band shirts, or if I'm gonna lower the bar, at least some jeans that aren't relaxed fit. Half the crowd were wearing old Metallica shirts, I think I saw about half a dozen jackets/vests all with Metallica back patches, two Slayer shirts, and maybe three other band shirts, total. Maybe five guys with long hair. The only person to comment on my Paradise Lost shirt had just read John Milton in college and didn't know the band. :lol:

I've felt the same way when I saw Tribulation 2 years ago and basically every time I saw Deafheaven. Actual metalheads were nowhere to be seen and I was one of maybe 3 people with a patched up vest (including my brother). When I saw Green Day there was a guy with a Full of Hell hoodie and we ended up hanging out for a bit and just talking about shows we've been to and how our girlfriends brought us here :lol: (it was actually a great show!!!!). The culture is one of the most important aspects of concerts, and the bigger the band gets, the more culture dies out at their shows.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 pm 

It's interesting how at a lot of non-metal shows you'll still find some visible metalheads. It's just really weird when you don't see them at a metal show, especially Metallica.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:58 pm 

On the weekend just passed (Saturday night) the missus and I went and saw Peter Murphy (of Bauhaus fame) live in Sydney. They did almost all of In the Flat Field, and as not a huge fan of Bauhaus, I had no idea what to expect - and they were awesome. Peter Murphy is a goth wizard, and the performance was stellar. They walked off stage with the crowd cheering for an encore, which they did of course, but only one song...

This song was Severance by Dead Can Dance. Absolutely incredible and moving.

My collection

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 am 

What the fuck's up Denny's?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 am 

Does anyone know which film the sample in Mortem's 'The Witch' is from?

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:00 am 

I don't actually know, but I googled one of the lines from the sample and the trailer for "To the Devil a Daughter" came up. So maybe that?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 am 

Couldn't decide whether I should post this in the sports thread or the movies one, so the FFA will do. As a kid, I caught a movie on TV which has remained stuck in my head for the longest time, but with no name attached to it. Scenes of a post-apocalyptic desert, a blond man, a huge underground city, an arena, a violent sport, some panel of people inspecting skulls while another man is swinging some deadly chain weapon, people eating tongues and meat scraps, blond man losing his eye in a match, then the same blond man in a later match holding someone down with a staff and telling the protagonist to go slowly, as she walks to a cheering crowd and sticks a skull on a stake.

After a long hunt, I finally found the movie's name. It's called The Blood of Heroes, also called The Salute of the Jugger. It stars none other than Rutger Hauer as Sallow (the blond man, strangely enough) and is written and directed by David Webb Peoples, co-writer of Blade Runner. I don't think I've ever seen this movie discussed anywhere, because otherwise I think it would've rung all the old bells. Must be super cult, right?

Anyway, why didn't I post this in the movies thread? Because this super cult movie has inspired the creation of a new sport and culture based on the violent version in the movie. The sport is called jugger, and it features pretty much everything you see in the movie: same game rules (more or less) with two teams, often mixed gender, with specific player roles, and armed with weapons including the ball and chain. You also see the dog skull, the battle drum, and players who have developed their own unique fighting styles as well. And it's played by kids and grown-ups alike. There are international tournaments, and even an annual hardcore version called Wasteland Jugger in California, and other similar ones in many places throughout the world. Insane how it all spawned from this one cult movie, and it's all dope as hell.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:57 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
It's interesting how at a lot of non-metal shows you'll still find some visible metalheads. It's just really weird when you don't see them at a metal show, especially Metallica.

I've been a true, music-purchasing fan of metal since I was 9 or 10 and can't really remember a single time where I sported the traditional metal garb. While they might not be visible, I guarantee you there were probably way more hardcore diehards at that show than you might have guessed just from appearances. In my own personal experience, many hardcore fans don't sport the look that often anyway due to many mitigating lifestyle factors or personal choice.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:34 pm 

Count me in the "doesn't dress metal" category. I always have been, even when metal was the #1 thing I listened to. I think I've only ever owned three or four band shirts, my hair is utterly unmanageable when long, and I hate most fashion accoutrements regardless of the subculture (whether it's normie things like earrings or metalhead things like bullet belts and spikes). I like my shirts as plain as possible, with few patterns and logos or brand names or whatever, and I don't understand why anyone wears boots when it isn't snowing or raining heavily outside.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:52 pm 

Do people actually still wear bullet belts and spikes? I've seen plenty of band shirts, corpsepaint, and a few other things, but I don't think I've ever seen those. I assumed that those were an 80s thing that was more stereotype than reality at this point.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:54 pm 

I'm 99% of the time wearing a metal shirt, so my style is very specific.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm 

I'm a 100% black wardrobe guy. All band shirts, all the time. Tall black boots. Long hair. Tattoos. Beard. Only wear bullet belts or studded battle jacket at shows, though. I guess I'm lucky my profession doesn't force my wardrobe to be a certain way, I'd hate to wear a suit or even semi-nice clothes.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
Do people actually still wear bullet belts and spikes? I've seen plenty of band shirts, corpsepaint, and a few other things, but I don't think I've ever seen those. I assumed that those were an 80s thing that was more stereotype than reality at this point.

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Only wear bullet belts or studded battle jacket at shows, though.

^yeah this is more or less what I meant when I mentioned spikes and stuff. I can't remember ever seeing someone wear those outside of a show.

Regardless, I don't wear them in any context. I'm the extremely basic-looking guy in the white t-shirt at metal shows, basically.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:30 pm 

I do not consider what I usually wear as "metal garb" but I do like some of the style - love my leather jacket, always sporting a metal shirt of some kind and also wear my white hi-tops a lot. But I consider this "normal" for me because my job allows me to wear what I want. My hair is very long and healthy so I have that going for me too.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:49 pm 

I actually really like business casual attire. :oh shit:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 pm 

If it ain't jeans or gym shorts and a t-shirt, I ain't interested in wearing it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 am 

Slowly converting my wardrobe/style to hopefully look a bit more presentable. I got tired of paying shitloads of money for shipping on sneakers that I chewed through super quick so I got into the whole goodyear welted shoes thing, and boots are a cool aesthetic. Also getting nice boots has given me the first footwear that actually fits in forever, and since I've got pretty flat feet having better arch support than flat-bottomed sneakers has done wonders for my feet for standing/walking all day. Anyway I'm also starting to get into the selvedge jeans thing and more stylish workwear type stuff, which still works really well with long hair and band shirts imo.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:21 pm 

Harry Conklin crushes Rob Halford and (almost) King Diamond! :metal: :headbang:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Count me in the "doesn't dress metal" category. I always have been, even when metal was the #1 thing I listened to. I think I've only ever owned three or four band shirts, my hair is utterly unmanageable when long, and I hate most fashion accoutrements regardless of the subculture (whether it's normie things like earrings or metalhead things like bullet belts and spikes). I like my shirts as plain as possible, with few patterns and logos or brand names or whatever, and I don't understand why anyone wears boots when it isn't snowing or raining heavily outside.

I tend not to adopt a lot of stereotypically "metal" culture things. Similarly to you, I have always had a general disdain for any kind of fashion accouterments, and despite a history as a metalhead and being in the military, I remain completely un-tattooed (both cultures are rich in tattoos, for those unaware of their popularity in the military). I'm not interested in permanently branding myself, well aware that tastes, favorites, or even ideals are not permanent. I generally stuck with comfortable blue jeans and my clothing now is generally subtle. There are the occasional band, video game, or movie shirts, but a lot of those aren't even possible. My shirt for The Thing (1982) just references the Antarctic outpost, not the movie or monster. I am also unpierced, and have moved from black biker style leather jackets to a more subdued black wool coat that fits well (for winter).

I do, however, wear boots almost daily. This stems from a perhaps odd story from well over a decade ago in college when two girls I went to school with offered to take me clothes shopping. At the time, Doc Martins were super popular, and they talked me into getting a pair. Ever since then, I've just enjoyed wearing boots. I find them comfortable and suited to me, even having long since moved on from Docs.

If I'm feeling lazy or wearing shorts, though, it's sneakers.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:03 pm 

well i can understand where zodi is coming from. Like I've seen a similar thing when i saw Accept earlier this year. A lot of people wearing Accept shirts and a lot of people who never show up at any other show or anything. I guess the Accept crowd is a bit more metal than a typical Metallica show still.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

The degree of Conklin-worship I see online remains baffling to me, but I'm honestly just as surprised here by the preference for Diamond. Outside of the KD forum itself, I don't think I've seen anyone say that they like him better than Halford, Dio, Dickinson, etc.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm 

To me you've got to put a special asterisk next to King Diamond's name, because he's way more than just a vocalist. Look at some of the songs he has MUSIC credits for writing, by himself. Come to the Sabbath, arguably the greatest Mercyful Fate song ever, he wrote completely, lyrics and music. To me, this puts him on a pedestal above a lot of vocalists. Is he a "better" vocalist than Halford, Dio, Dickinson, or even Conklin? Fucking of course not. Homie can't sing at all, but that's completely part of the charm.

Conklin has a god-tier voice and I'm amazed that he sounds even better today. I wish he would hook up with a guitarist who can write a fucking riff.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm 

He can definitely sing, just not in the styles that most people appreciate or enjoy that are common to his genre.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 pm 

@Jonpo: I'm not suggesting that he is not a good singer, simply that I practically never see him put into that rarefied air. Personally, I like King Diamond's vocals and would have him near there, but having him ahead of Halford caught my eye.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:51 pm 

He is a stone cold legend and I was just trying to point out that he's also a badass riff writer which I think goes unnoticed or unmentioned a lot. I'm a massive fan, not sure if that got lost in translation somehow.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

The degree of Conklin-worship I see online remains baffling to me, but I'm honestly just as surprised here by the preference for Diamond. Outside of the KD forum itself, I don't think I've seen anyone say that they like him better than Halford, Dio, Dickinson, etc.

What don't you like about Conklin?

King Diamond is great because he's a performer, a true unique and theatrical kind of guy. Nobody else could really do what he does.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 pm 

I don't dislike him, I just always find the degree of praise thrown at him surprising. He's good, but I see a lot of comments in different threads about him that always seems to place him higher than my knee-jerk, and it's not like he's leaning on fame or something for that. He just clearly registers for a number people far more than he does for me, and I find that a little strange. People have their different tastes, and I clearly diverge towards the lower-end on Conklin.

Anyways, my point was his ordering of Conklin>Diamond>Halford was unexpected. Conklin is good, and I like Diamond a lot, but it's pretty rare to see either ahead of Halford who, along with Dio and Dickinson, seems to be part of that, "consensus," group of top-tier vocalists.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 pm 

Conklin is top-tier in my opinion, and his voice has if anything gotten better with age, but singers like Halford and Dio and KD are categories unto themselves. Their personalities and charisma are just so present in their singing that they can't really be effectively compared to others, because nobody else could do what they do. Other people could do what Conklin does.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 pm 

I always saw Conklin as the perfect American parallel to Dickinson and Halford. A bit grittier, a bit less pitch perfect like they were on some of their best performances - but such raw power and muscle behind him.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I always saw Conklin as the perfect American parallel to Dickinson and Halford. A bit grittier, a bit less pitch perfect like they were on some of their best performances - but such raw power and muscle behind him.

You are really on point with that statement but Conklin isn't as known as Dickinson or Halford. In the metal world, Conklin is recognized but outside of that world he is kind of obscure. However, Dickinson and Halford have achieved notoriety for their vocals basically. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Conklin was never featured in a "breakthrough" band to justify my point that I am making.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:17 am 

The one with little recognition that saddens me the most is probably Buddy Lackey. He was one of the very few on the level of early Halford :(

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am 

The Tyrant was and is absolutely perfect. He's aged definitely better than the Metal God and arguably far better than Bruce Bruce. He just never fronted a God tier band in their hey day.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:07 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
The one with little recognition that saddens me the most is probably Buddy Lackey. He was one of the very few on the level of early Halford :(

Honestly man he still is. I saw Psychotic Waltz in 2012 at Keep it True and they performed very nearly every song off of all four albums. Lackey killed it like it was still the 90s, and his stage presence was INCREDIBLE.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:

Honestly man he still is. I saw Psychotic Waltz in 2012 at Keep it True and they performed very nearly every song off of all four albums. Lackey killed it like it was still the 90s, and his stage presence was INCREDIBLE.

Man, I'd love to hear some new songs from them. At first I was tentative because, what if they didn't have it anymore? But it would be damn curious.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:24 am 

That's a pretty amazing thing to hear! I hope to see them soon

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm 

To me the one truly unsung and GREAT heavy metal vocalist is Mike Tirelli. The guy was EXCELLENT on Burning Starr albums (check out No Turning Back!) and ferocious and snarling on Holy Mother stuff.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:06 pm 

An unsung singer eh

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:25 pm 

What's some of your favorite shit to read about on Wikipedia for sheer entertainment? I don't have a lot of downtime at my new job but when I do, I like reading interesting wikis. I've got a TON of mileage out of their "list of people who disappeared" pre- and post- 1970s. Some amazing, wild fucking stories on there. The last few days I've been reading the extensive exploits of "the king of Pirates" John Every. He was a total shitbag but damn it's an interesting read. He was only in the pirate game for a few years but he pulled off the most successful/largest act of piracy recorded at the time. Robbed two different Muslim vessels who were on their way back home from Mecca.

Other recent readings: Oh-My-god particle, list of deaths by dog attack, feral children

Open to suggestions!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 332  Next